Poll: What's your position on employee's sitting

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What's your position on employee's sitting?

When you go into a restaurant, or get gas or even get checked out at a store how do you feel about an employee sitting as they serve you are you for or against it?

Personally I prefer it, I rather someone who serves me to be as comfortable as reasonably possible.

Follow up

If you owned a business like the stated above would you allow your employee's to sit provided they have all their other duties complete as they wait to serve customers.?

Again sane as above if a worker does their job, I don't care if they it provided they are still serving customers.

(The reason I ask this question is because I was thinking to a conversation I had a while back I had with a friend who was of the mind that there should never be a time for sitting, and if there is time to sit there is time to find something to do. I personally disagreed. I am all for an employee doing their job and doing it well, but I am not of the mind adding extra stress where it isn't needed for appearance makes sense, so I thought I would ask what you think.)
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Standing is bad for the human body and shouldn't be allowed. Employers who make workers stand need guillotines now.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Standing is bad for the human body and shouldn't be allowed. Employers who make workers stand need guillotines now.
    You sure you might not have that backwards, Isn't sitting hat supposed to be bad for you now. LOL so no asking you to wear a suit then

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Not sure why anyone would have a problem with employees being able to sit, especially during long shifts.
    Well I think it's an appearance thing kind of surprised with you being British and all, I thought that was kind of a think in the U.K culturally I mean. Friend is from the old school he also thinks suits and uniforms should always be worn too no casual stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    You sure you might not have that backwards, Isn't sitting hat supposed to be bad for you now. LOL so no asking you to wear a suit then
    One causes intense horrifying pain while one does. It's like the difference between rest a hand on a knee or stabbing a knee.

Also I look damn good in a suit.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Standing all the time is no worse than sitting all the time. We have hight adjustable desks for that reason, so we can do both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone suggesting it's fair to force workers to spend all day standing is absolutely demented and cruel

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Standing all the time is no worse than sitting all the time. We have hight adjustable desks for that reason, so we can do both.
    Just say you've never worked on your feet and go

as someone who used to have a retail job while in college - I wish more places adopted Aldi position of letting Cashiers sit. there is a huge difference between moving around stocking isles and what not and just standing behind the register for hours. I'm not even kidding when I say that standing in those cramped nooks made me more tired then any degree of shelving. its a different kind of strain on your feet, etc.

Wish I had the luxury to sit around while out on the airfield...

You heartless person, what of all the haemorrhoid sufferers?!
    Last edited by Daedius; 2021-04-21 at 02:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who works in a job where I gotta stand for 10 hours, sitting down every so often would be lovely. I have seen workers pass out and cry to tears due to some just not handling it well. For myself I got used to it over time. But my spine is gonna pay be a visit when I get older, I have been told that constant standing can lead to lots of problems later. So yay I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Both are just as bad in long stretches. Moderation is important. But if you had to ask what would make me more comfortable i would say sitting. That's not to say I prefer sitting down for 10 hours over 10 hours of standing lol. ITs like asking would you rather have a bowl of salt or a bowl of sugar 4 times a day, both are gonna cause problems in their own way :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-04-21 at 02:40 PM.

Indifferent on a more commercial setting.

I've done retail/cashier work sitting would have been a blessing, no reason not to either. Not sure how suits come into this? I personally wore shirts/ties to work would wear suits some now since my promotion.. but I don't force others 2.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

I gain nothing from other people being made to suffer or endure hardship while making a living. So these folks can lay in a recliner for all I care.

Such a hard question, I usually avoid it by using self-checkout.

I'm used to and prefer to stand for long periods of time, that includes 10+ hours shifts standing. Maybe I'll sit briefly for a few minutes, but I get really restless if I'm parked on my ass for too long.
    I don't desperately care whether cashiers or whoever sits or stands. Their ass, their problem.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure ChickenDrummer, would need to think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

I think only Americans are insane enough to think sitting means you're not working when all your doing is staying in the same spot for hours at a time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Israel did the right thing in this situation:

In 2007 the Law on the Right to Sit in Employment was passed in Israel. The law obliges the employer to "provide the employee in the place of employment with a seat for work" and forbids "preventing an employee from sitting during work, unless the regular performance of the work does not enable sitting". The law additionally obliges employers to supply their employees with "proper chairs, which have back support, in a sufficient number and in good condition, for sitting during breaks in work".
    Your company image does not override people's human dignity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Usually a mild recline, but not too much as you don't want to impact your posture and cause back problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is a Seinfeld episode...

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi