Poll: What's your position on employee's sitting

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    why is this even a question if the employee is suffering from a physical medical ailment why not allow them to sit?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    There isn't a single supermarket here in my european country that forces their cashiers to stand.

That said, I know a few people who prefer to have a standing desk at their work, because they prefer to stand instead of sit all day.
    here in the u.s. unless you have some sort of medical condition you spend the whole day standing or kneeling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Standing all the time is no worse than sitting all the time. We have hight adjustable desks for that reason, so we can do both.
    how to spot someone who has NEVER worked in retail.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Absolutely disgusting.

If I had a business I'd cover all surfaces with spikes so that the slavesworkers would never be off of their feet.
    i'm going to assume this is a joke.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Seriously? Does this need discussion? Guys, fuck off from the cashiers. They receive a small salary. And before you talk about standing or sitting, try to stand still for 12 hours. Yes, at least an hour. You can't. Because more than half of you are office clerks who sit on chairs all day. And me too, but I don't talk about what and who needs to do.

This is my opinion, and I'm waiting for your tomatoes on my face

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

When you go into a restaurant, or get gas or even get checked out at a store how do you feel about an employee sitting as they serve you are you for or against it?
    This is different pr. work area. Restaurants you expect them to standing greet you here, and it is common courtesy as they after all are meant to lead you to your table anyways. As for cashiers, they are commonly permitted to sit because their workday is mostly going to be there at the till. As for gas stations, you pay at the pump but if you enter the shop, the clerk will be standing to meet you face to face.

If you owned a business like the stated above would you allow your employee's to sit provided they have all their other duties complete as they wait to serve customers.?
    If I owned a restaurant and there were no customers to serve, then of course if they want, sit.
    If I owned a grocery store and there were no items to restock, basic cleaning (spill etc) or people to help at the till, then of course if they want, sit.
    If I owned a gestation and no customers at the pumps outside or in the store as well as no restocking or maintenance, then of course if they want, sit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Standing is bad for the human body and shouldn't be allowed. Employers who make workers stand need guillotines now.
    Standing is bad for your body the whole day - just like sitting down the whole day is bad for the employee too. You need rotating tasks to keep employees moving, standing and sitting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by daughterofgirl View Post
    Seriously? Does this need discussion? Guys, fuck off from the cashiers. They receive a small salary. And before you talk about standing or sitting, try to stand still for 12 hours. Yes, at least an hour. You can't. Because more than half of you are office clerks who sit on chairs all day. And me too, but I don't talk about what and who needs to do.

This is my opinion, and I'm waiting for your tomatoes on my face
    At my current work, we are told to keep our work position dynamic. Stand as long as we want, but remember to sit. Sit as long as we want, but remember to stand.

This is as support and technician.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    When people think that going shopping at the mall makes them gods to boss around employees.

Scott from Ikea has words:

Haven't you ever worked anywhere before?

I really don't see why not. I was trying to think of a situation where it'd be weird, maybe if you were at a restaurant and the waiter just kind of sat down next to you while asking for your orders. That'd be kind of weird. But if they were sitting in a moment where they didn't need to be standing for one reason or another like the picture I really don't see why I would possibly care.

Can you do your job when I am needing you to do your job? Yes? Good. That's the bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Well I think it's an appearance thing kind of surprised with you being British and all, I thought that was kind of a think in the U.K culturally I mean. Friend is from the old school he also thinks suits and uniforms should always be worn too no casual stuff.
    Britain is literally nothing like you see in the movies.

The stereotyped British person stopped existing around the time fawlty towers was on TV

Supermarket cashiers have had seats for decades.
    Last edited by SMCOut; 2021-05-11 at 08:19 AM.

As a customer, it really depends on the situation. I'd find it kind of awkward if my waiter/waitress took a seat at my table while they were taking my order. But if I'm at a store...I've got no issue if the person at the checkout counter is sitting.

As an employee, I once had a job where if I were caught sitting...my boss would find some completely unnecessary busy work for me to do. It wouldn't matter to him if I had been on my feet all day. He was a prick.

I've also had a boss that didn't mind if I took a load off as long as there wasn't anything pressing that needed to be done.

If I were an employer... I'd like to think I'd try to manage ways for my employees to be able to take at least a few moments off their feet...especially those that don't have the option of walking around much. Standing in place is harder on your body than walking around. Sitting for extended periods is also hard on the body.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuidesu View Post
    I am website owner
    Not related to the thread but thanks, I guess, Mr. Advertiser.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you ever worked min wage/fast food where even standing still could be considered "stealing time". You're always expected to be active. Grab a broom or mop and go spot check the lobby.

Maybe I’m weird but I prefer standing at work, not that I’m able to sit at my job anyway, just wouldn’t work well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I sit all the time, with my feet kicked up on a heater, often taking a nap.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

That has to be one of the dumbest non-issues I've ever seen.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    You wouldn't think that if you got fired for sitting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    You wouldn't think that if you got fired for sitting.
    that would have to be some shit tier level of management to fire someone for the simple act of sitting. you would have no employees left.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

It should be illegal to make your employees stand up. That shitty wage won't pay for a new spine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    It's not dumb at all, standing up for 8 hours is horrible.

- - - Updated - - -

You sure you might not have that backwards, Isn't sitting hat supposed to be bad for you now. LOL so no asking you to wear a suit then
    Absolutely. The suit culture needs to disappear. It should be a crime to make someone wear a suit during warm seasons ( Spring, Summer, early Autumn ).

Men are far warmer than women, and yet women have way better options for hot weather. Not to mention suits are overpriced as hell and impractical by virtue of not being washing machine friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by starstationprofm View Post
    It's not dumb at all, standing up for 8 hours is horrible.
    I ment that as "duh, why do you care if a cashier sits down?" Who would actually be offended by that? According to the poll 1 singular confused person (as I wrote it) out of 40+. This seems like such a non-issue, that the whole idea of this thread is just utterly bizarre to me; even for the usually low stuff mall cop posts.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I prefer my stand-up comedians to sit, and my lap dancers to stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Not sure why anyone would have a problem with employees being able to sit, especially during long shifts.
    I don't think I've ever seen a store where you have to stand here. Matter of fact, I recently realised it's weird that one of the employees pushed the chair away to stand. I guess she wanted the stretch. And that's why putting chairs there is good, let the employee choose.

It's weird that this even needs to be discussed. The employee doesn't get paid for either standing or sitting. They get paid for clearing the belt and cashing the money. The only bad impression they can make is bagging the money and trying to put the groceries into the register. OR doing what they do innnn sloooooooow..... moooootiiioooonnnnnnn.....
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Not sure why anyone would have a problem with employees being able to sit, especially during long shifts.
    it all depeds on the type of job they do . if its possible they should always sit - sit and work in that position

if they are just stitting doing nothign this is a sign of bad management as theyre is always somethign to do .

if there is really nothign to do they shoudl be just left to go home - ofc having their pay cut by the amount of hours they didnt work .

again - emplyee beig unproductive is just a sign of bad management.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    it all depeds on the type of job they do . if its possible they should always sit - sit and work in that position

if they are just stitting doing nothign this is a sign of bad management as theyre is always somethign to do .

if there is really nothign to do they shoudl be just left to go home - ofc having their pay cut by the amount of hours they didnt work .

again - emplyee beig unproductive is just a sign of bad management.
    And basically what you're saying is that efficient employees should be punished for their efficiency?

If you have employees that work hard, manage their time well, and finish all their tasks before the end of their shift that's the mark of a good employee. Your suggestion is to either give that employee more work or to send them home and take away their pay. What you're asking for is an employee to slow down, not work as hard, and stretch out the tasks before them to avoid said punishment. This has nothing to do with being unproductive...it has everything to do with piling more and more work on people and not rewarding their performance in the end.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)