Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Pandaren Monk
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Thanks for that explanation - sounds like a complicated but workable system. And if I understand correctly, would probably work pretty well except for those people who move out and keep their old apartments "just in case".

What is the home buying market like there? If you're in a rental but looking to buy, I understand a person might have to come up with quite a large down payment.

(also - sounds like you also understand at least how the States' work - just open apartments you can get pretty much any time - not too many, not too few - mostly; I can elaborate if you want though)

Are you saying that's never the case - single apartment owners renting out only their apartment in a bigger building? We have large corporations that own dozens of buildings and rent them all out. But of course, we have the opposite, large apartment buildings where each apartment is owned by an individual, and they either live there or rent it out (we usually call them Condos).
    So, the system has some good things, some bad things. Right now there probably isn't enough lowest end places being built because lack of Incentive for everyone involved. But at least in Stockholm the issue I pointed out is probably the biggest reason it's so gummed up.

For buying, it's like most of the west right now. Expensive. If you've got the money it's cheaper to live in an owned place than renting, but you need the upfront cost. You then have a monthly fee to the building association that you're a part owner off, you don't own the rights to the apartment. You own a part of the association that owns the building(s). That happen to correspond to your unit. The system isn't unique to Sweden, and there might be exceptions but it is the most common way here for flats.
    The monthly fee covers building maintenance, water and heating (not electicity), generally cable tv and internet, and most utilities aside from that specific one I mentioned. Also grounds keeping if there are any connected.
    Buying a place ranges from cheap to fucking expensive. I got my place really cheap, but it is small and in the outskirts of a town that's fourty minutes away from Malmö.
    But housing loans are cheap, even if they demand as you said, a significant downpayment, which generally is 15% of total cost. There's also some other kerfuffery that I won't take up here. If you've got the money for the deposit, got a bank behind you for a loan (generally interest is less than 3% unless you're royally screwed, but payment of the loan itself has other terms that aren't included in the interest). You can probably get a place to live within a week if you're not picky.

As for renting out a single appartment it happens. As stated. But it's generally short term, and only ever reffered to as "andrahandsuthyrning" (second-hand leasing). And isn't 100% free to do as you wish depending on how and when etc. Same as people who own a house at times let out a spare room after kids move out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    Sounds thus like there are plenty of available apartments, just that the extra administrative work and bureaucracy causes people having to wait forever, because government as usual is slow as fuck and incompetentefficient. Meanwhile small home-owners and beginning landlords are robbed from potential income(?), making it yet another market where the big companies and corporations receive an edge on small or beginning entrepreneurs.
    See my post about how the que work, and why it's slow. It isn't because government is inefficient (a lot of the owners are private entities). It's because a lot of people, especially in cities, cheat the system for their own gain because they are in privileged situations where they can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Not really, because the issue is that there aren't enough buildings being built, not too few people renting. There are thousands of different companies, both private and municipal, waiting to get their hands on new apartments.
    This is only a half truth. The far bigger issue is, as I mentioned above, people who cheat the system. Practically all the data shows that there would be enough to keep up with what's currently being built, if people didn't sit on empty appartments.
    - Lars

It would be nice if people were allowed to live off the land and opt out of taxes and services if they could afford the renewable setup, apartments are the worst invention ever.
    Super Mario Maker 2: Maker ID 8B7-CTF-NMG

- Sire Denathrius confirmed to have created the Dreadlords.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It would be nice if people were allowed to live off the land and opt out of taxes and services if they could afford the renewable setup, apartments are the worst invention ever.
    I like apartments for the convenience. If my fridge breks, I don't have to dish out any cash for it, but instead I just have to call my landlord's caretaker who replaces it for free.

i just contacted a private landlord and asked if they had any available apartments when i was moving out... had an apartment within a week...

would probably have to wait a few months or maybe a year if i had gone with the municipalities apartments...

Never had to wait...

can you get on the list get one, and rent it out yourself? like take bids and get someone in right then or is that illegal?
    Member: Shadow Lands Alpha Club, Member since 4/9/2020

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    Never had to wait...

can you get on the list get one, and rent it out yourself? like take bids and get someone in right then or is that illegal?
    Doesn't work as your account's username is your personal identity number (kind of like social security number, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person...umber_(Sweden)). So when you accept an apartment, it's you who get it.

Well, maybe there IS a way to do it but either way, when you accept an apartment your points (you get 1 point per day) are reset back to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Doesn't work as your account's username is your personal identity number (kind of like social security number, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person...umber_(Sweden)). So when you accept an apartment, it's you who get it.

Well, maybe there IS a way to do it but either way, when you accept an apartment your points (you get 1 point per day) are reset back to 0.
    that's insane to me but if it works there awesome, and hope it's worth the wait!
    Member: Shadow Lands Alpha Club, Member since 4/9/2020

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Damn - great point. I hate to say it but I forgot about those. Section-8 as well. Long line and waiting list - but the rents are substantially lower (in most cases).
    Srction 8 isn't something most want or can have... Typically cheap and crappy and in equally crappy areas. A person has to qualify for such...to prove the person is that desperate.

0 seconds. I can rent anywhere on demand. I live in the US.

However, the costs are stratospheric depending on where you want to live. My friend pays almost $4k a month for half of a condo in Emeryville, just down the road from the Pixar studio.
    Last edited by dwarven; 2021-04-24 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    0 seconds. I can rent anywhere on demand. I live in the US.

However, the costs are stratospheric depending on where you want to live. My friend pays almost $4k a month for half of a condo in Emeryville, just down the road from the Pixar studio.
    4k? That's insane.

Politicians are trying to go over everybody's heads here in Sweden and introduce free market on rent instead of regulations. I hope to god that doesnt go through, I'm not for no limits on rent at all. All it will lead to is segregation and rich and poor areas. Instead of now, where a flat in the ghetto costs as much as one in one of the most central parts.

Luckily, there is a lot.of ruckus going on from powerful associations who are against it.

My apartment would probably go up from 700 dollars (70 square meters, three rooms and kitchen) to like 1400 dollars...