Page 25 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
    I understand it's a common complaint. I personally struggle to understand it. I can't imagine picking up a new game and not wanting to play through it. ARR has some slow moments, but theres also a lot of fun stuff to go through. And it sets up not only HW, but SB and ShB. Skipping past ARR, to me, is like, and I'm going to borrow someone elses comparison above, skipping past the Fellowship of the rings and going straight to Two Tours.

But thats fine. Not everyone thinks like me and I understand that. Honestly, if they absolutely had to do something to fix the image, i'd rather they just let people skip to ShB, maybe a story recap of main story points through the other expansions. Leave the past story lines alone.

I've noticed this trend in gaming happening over the years. For some reason, some gamers seem to only care about current content in games. Even if they havn't played a game before, they refer to a base game as out dated and just want to get to the newer content. This mentality, imo, is slowly ruining gaming. I've seen these people say we shouldn't worry, if we want to play older content in a game it doesn't effect us. But it has. Wow has now added classic and tbc servers so I could play those two expansions as they where, but some of the older content is hard to go back and play through. It's either way too easy now, or some things have been changed for ever. It would be great if they let us use Chromie time even at end game, scaling what ever expansion you chose to max level if your 60.
    I think of it like this. I played Dark Souls 3 as my first souls game. I loved every second of it. The world, the graphics, the scope, etc. Yet everyone places it pretty far down the list. People hyped up DS1 big time, but when I went and played the remaster when it was released (mind you I had completed DS3 -> Bloodborne -> DS2 SotFS -> at this point and was like THIS is what people hyped up? It felt so bad compared to the more recent entries (specifically DS3 and Bloodborne), but I think it's similar in the vein to the FF14 thing.

ARR reads and plays like a year 2000 game. Shadowbringers doesn't, hell even Heavensward doesn't. It's a jarring experience. I don't know what the solution is. Honestly ARR could probably be fixed with some additional trimming and just letting people use fucking linkpearls and stop the courier service frequency. That alone could both speed up and help remove some of the nonsense (let us use the echo combined with Linkpearls to like phase there automatically or something in spirit.

Honestly, to me the game feels really smooth, but I have some issues with it.
    Loving playing an orc and being my favorite race, I couldn't really find a race that I actually liked and playing a human is well... boring. I guess Roegadyn are the closest to orcs in FFXIV, but they are just so bulky and meh.
    I also am not much of a fan of the artstyle. After so many years of trying generic asian MMOS, FFXIV really remind me of them when it comes to graphics, but I can get past that.

Otherwise, the game is really solid, but it's for different people. WoW is a more mechanic game focused in raids and whatnot while FFXIV is more focused on story and the RPG aspect of it.

I gotta add one thing: I absolutely love pug's patience. So far only Ramuh EX made people quit, on all other ex bosses ppl didn't leave and we eventually killed all of them. I'm still in ARR content.

Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    Is it just my perception or does FF14 have more tanks/healers in general? I feel like as DPS I get into groups way faster than in WoW. Sometimes I even spotted DPS in need in the duty finder, which I have never seen in WoW, ever. For me personally, I feel DPS isn't as enticing as it is in WoW and you know why? Because in WoW I can reliably see my DPS performance via addons. In FF14 I can only "guess" if I am doing good, no actual hard numbers. That means tanking and healing is more rewarding to play, at least for me. I am a good tank if I live and have aggro, I am a good healer if nobody dies. As DPS I don't have this clear performance indicator. Maybe others see this similar and that's why they choose to play tank/heal more?
    Tanking and healing in FFXIV is braindead easy compared to WoW. In FFXIV, tanking is extremely stress free. All you do is turn on tank stance and then push the mitigation button when a tank buster is about to hit. That's it. For healing, most damage in FFXIV can be avoided by stepping out of an AoE. Incoming damage is very low, so a person has to be hit multiple times before they start dipping low enough that you should heal them. You only need to press 1 or 2 buttons to heal them up to full, and you will never run out of mana unless you are doing endgame hard raiding content. Thus, more people queue as tanks and healers because they're effectively almost just as easy as DPS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    Seems like misinformation. I researched a little bit and Yoshida himself says they are all strictly forbidden, nothing about "personal use". So I am not risking my account if they one day detect I have been using an addon/mod.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...s_against_tos/
    I would strongly recommend getting stormshade (reshade for FFXIV). Vanilla FFXIV looks very washed out and dull. I use the colors preset, as it makes the game look nicer (I turn off the MXAO and other expensive stuff, just using the technicolor setting and a few other cheap effects).

Also, FFXIV does not scan your machine like WoW does. They can't know if you're running mods unless you say so. Just don't talk about it in the ingame chat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    It happens A LOT on MoonGuard. It's honestly sickening and Blizzard rarely does anything about it when you report it.
    Having played on Moon Guard for years and having been involved in both Horde and Alliance RP, I never saw this happen.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't imagine picking up a new game and not wanting to play through it.
    ARR is to FFXIV what Trails in the Sky FC is to the Trails games: the first part of a long running JRPG storyline, but the fans only talk about how awesome the latter installments and they tell you that you have to do several hundred hours of homework before you can get to the part where it "gets good". I personally like ARR more HW but it's undeniable that ARR - like FC - does not give good first impressions to newcomers. It's hard to care about the Scions in 2.0. It's awkwardly paced. The English dub isn't very good. Etc.

- - - Updated - - -

i'd rather they just let people skip to ShB, maybe a story recap of main story points through the other expansions.
    I don't think there is anyway to "fix" ARR. Best thing you can do is take the Trails route and start a brand new arc that people can jump into without prior knowledge, and use the experience you learned to make a better arc that holds people's interest better.

As if I needed a wake-up call, spent all day yesterday with my SO doing 9.1 because we're trying to unlock flying and I was just miserable. I was getting cranky and frustrated because none of it is fun. I wasn't even enjoying playing my paladin, who is my favorite character. Our sub is up in July and I'm reasonably certain at this point that's it for us for the remainder of SL.

Personally, I love that the dungeons and trials aren't hard. I am not one who likes group content let alone challenging group content, in fact, group content being required at all in FFXIV was a major turnoff and why I didn't play ARR at release. I've always had a bit of group anxiety too and the toxicity in WoW made it significantly worse to the point that I avoid all group activities whenever possible. It took me a couple weeks just to get up the nerve to do Sastasha which, in hindsight, sounds ridiculous. I feel like with FFXIV I'm starting to get over that feeling of absolute dread whenever I see the next part of progression is gated by a group activity. I've only been in one 'go go go' type group that was a little nerve wracking. The best ones have been the ones with someone new to tanking, everything is just chill.

I don't care much for the ARR storyline, but I kind of like the vanilla feel of ARR. Aesthetically, well, when I logged in to 9.1 I would swear my character's face is different. I made her look awesome (within the parameters of WoW customization) and now she looks kind of hideous. I can't tell if there's an actual model issue or I'm just so used to how amazing my FFXIV character looks that going back to WoW is visually jarring.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

I would strongly recommend getting stormshade (reshade for FFXIV). Vanilla FFXIV looks very washed out and dull. I use the colors preset, as it makes the game look nicer (I turn off the MXAO and other expensive stuff, just using the technicolor setting and a few other cheap effects).

Also, FFXIV does not scan your machine like WoW does. They can't know if you're running mods unless you say so. Just don't talk about it in the ingame chat.
    So you recommend breaking the rules because you have low chance of being caught? Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Jesus, you guys try so hard.

Square has been about as clear as they reasonably can be about mods. That is, they don't want to give the "OK" for them, but they also don't go looking for them and don't try shutting them down. If you don't abuse them, they don't really care.

Yes, they reserve the right to take action against accounts in the event that they're abusing mods somehow. They'd be silly not to, that's just standard.
    But they are still prohibited. But because you have low chance to get caught breaking the rules it is worth it? And should be encouraged?

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Personally, I love that the dungeons and trials aren't hard. I am not one who likes group content let alone challenging group content, in fact, group content being required at all in FFXIV was a major turnoff and why I didn't play ARR at release. I've always had a bit of group anxiety too and the toxicity in WoW made it significantly worse to the point that I avoid all group activities whenever possible. It took me a couple weeks just to get up the nerve to do Sastasha which, in hindsight, sounds ridiculous. I feel like with FFXIV I'm starting to get over that feeling of absolute dread whenever I see the next part of progression is gated by a group activity. I've only been in one 'go go go' type group that was a little nerve wracking. The best ones have been the ones with someone new to tanking, everything is just chill.
    I've been thinking I would like to do dungeons with people who have anxiety to give them a safe environment to build up their courage, but I don't know how to reach them since they are not in the finder because they're uncomfortable about group content. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Glad to hear you've started to get over it, though.

It's just nice playing something different, that is still well made. And, to be honest, I like that it can be played on a controller. It's so much more relaxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Twen View Post
    I've been thinking I would like to do dungeons with people who have anxiety to give them a safe environment to build up their courage, but I don't know how to reach them since they are not in the finder because they're uncomfortable about group content. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Glad to hear you've started to get over it, though.
    I really enjoy the trust system, I hope they can expand upon it and make it available for all instances. It's a great tool to practice with until you feel comfortable to go into real groups. They're definitely slower than most real groups but that's good in my opinion, you should be encouraged to play with other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    I really enjoy the trust system, I hope they can expand upon it and make it available for all instances. It's a great tool to practice with until you feel comfortable to go into real groups. They're definitely slower than most real groups but that's good in my opinion, you should be encouraged to play with other people.
    It is a nice addition but I'm not digging the whole "leveling them up." I didn't have to level trusts in FFXI, they were just... my level.

For some, you'll level them mostly while you're leveling up but that banks on you doing repeat dungeons with them. I prefer groups with real people as they're more efficient but it's nice to have them for when you want or need to play alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    It is a nice addition but I'm not digging the whole "leveling them up." I didn't have to level trusts in FFXI, they were just... my level.

For some, you'll level them mostly while you're leveling up but that banks on you doing repeat dungeons with them. I prefer groups with real people as they're more efficient but it's nice to have them for when you want or need to play alone.
    The first time you encounter any new story dungeon, the Trust members are appropriately leveled, which is great because then you can progress immediately to the dungeon without a queue time.

After that you have to level them up, which is somewhat annoying, but the Trust system is I guess how they intended to allow people to grind out levels alternatively to the Deep Dungeons they had released previously.

It's a great system, I just wish they leveled up faster, or as a whole instead of each member at a time. I think the pros outweigh the cons, though, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The first time you encounter any new story dungeon, the Trust members are appropriately leveled, which is great because then you can progress immediately to the dungeon without a queue time.

After that you have to level them up, which is somewhat annoying, but the Trust system is I guess how they intended to allow people to grind out levels alternatively to the Deep Dungeons they had released previously.

It's a great system, I just wish they leveled up faster, or as a whole instead of each member at a time. I think the pros outweigh the cons, though, by far.
    Yeah, I'd rather have them as-is than not at all. MMO gaming isn't the same as a dad like it was when I was a single guy. "Not now, i'm playing a game" isn't something I tell my kids. But trusts will wait for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    But they are still prohibited. But because you have low chance to get caught breaking the rules it is worth it? And should be encouraged?
    Functionally, you have no chance of being caught if you literally don’t bring it up. And even then, they only really care if you’re using it as a tool for harassment. I mean, go watch YP talk about it. It’s pretty obvious what their de facto stance is, even if they cannot write it down de jure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    "Not now, i'm playing a game" isn't something I tell my kids.
    I feel that one, as a fellow dad. I wish more followed suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Twen View Post
    I don't know how you'd reach them either, unfortunately. A static maybe? (Those are like WoW communities, right?) This is just as DPS too, at this point I refuse to try tanking or healing in a PUG. I used to get upset that most of the tanks I encountered in WoW's LFD were jerks, but after having tried to tank myself I think that's the personality you have to have to do it. While I haven't encountered it yet, I have heard of healers in FFXIV using Rescue to yank tanks along if they're moving too slowly. Having had this happen to me in WoW with a priest using Leap of Faith, I'm just not going to put up with that kind of behavior. Likewise, the 'go go go' tanks are why I quit attempting to heal in WoW too. Ideally, I'd find a good FC with people who don't mind going at a more casual pace while I get used to the roles and the content.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

The XIV community will straight up tell you that you're a bad tank if you don't wall to wall pull with sprint, no stops.

That's not hyperbole, or some interpretation. That's the conversation that happens nightly in NN with veterans talking to new players.

It's true that fast wall to wall pulls are nice and all, but yeah.
    Weird, that never happened to me. I've just finished leveling warrior from 1 to 80 exclusively through dungeons, probably hundreds of dungeons and the only thing I've seen (on multiple occasions) are healers saying "you can pull more" indicating that they're comfortable with it.

I don't know why this is something people feel like they can/should try arguing.

Every XIV forum on the internet will tell you this.

Any group in game - including Novice Network - will tell you this.

Healers will Rescue you into more packs. (I don't hate it personally, because it does make things faster, but yeah people who are already nervous about tanking will be thrown for a loop.)

People will "kindly" inform you that "it's ok to pull more" and you know what that really translates to.

It's not something strange, or rare, or up for debate. It's the community standard for dungeon tanking. I don't know why people always pop up and try declaring otherwise.
    We've all played the game, why bother lying about it?

That's what I keep wondering every time someone claims it's not a common thing, actually.
    So I'm sure since it's such a common thing that happens you have proof right?

I don't know why this is something people feel like they can/should try arguing.

Every XIV forum on the internet will tell you this.

Any group in game - including Novice Network - will tell you this.

Healers will Rescue you into more packs. (I don't hate it personally, because it does make things faster, but yeah people who are already nervous about tanking will be thrown for a loop.)

People will "kindly" inform you that "it's ok to pull more" and you know what that really translates to.

It's not something strange, or rare, or up for debate. It's the community standard for dungeon tanking. I don't know why people always pop up and try declaring otherwise.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just saying that in my five years of playing this game I've never personally seen it or experienced it. That's why I found it weird, I purposefully dungeon levelled a job from 1 to 80 because I wanted to learn to tank every single dungeon in the game. I have probably just been incredibly lucky when nobody ever told me that I was a bad tank for not living up to their standards.

The XIV community will straight up tell you that you're a bad tank if you don't wall to wall pull with sprint, no stops.
    Weird, that never happened to me..
    I usually try to do wall to wall pulls. If you're wearing the best tomestone gear you can equip, then you can almost always do it (beware tanking Bardaam's Mettle while wearing HW tomestone gear as that is when you start receiving a lot more damage, but it is still doable). However, one time I got Dohn Mheg as Warrior but didn't have the last set of Stormblood tomestone gear equipped (I forgot why I wasn't wearing it, I think I did have it but maybe it was on my retainer? Dunno. I don't think I was still wearing the HW gear, though. If was I'm pretty sure I would've died instantly to just one trash pack). I couldn't pull more than one or two packs at a time, even when using tank CDs. And yet people still ran ahead to pull more packs. After the second wipe I got booted having never gotten to the first boss.

Yeah. The FFXIV community is very passive aggressive.

I have probably just been incredibly lucky when nobody ever told me that I was a bad tank for not living up to their standards.
    Probably because unless you screwed up like I did and forgot to wear the latest tomestone gear, you can wall to wall pull no problem and will hardly need to pop your tank CDs.