Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    What is gear for, if not the latest content? Is that not how all mmo's with vertical progression work?
    Dungeons, open world content.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    it doesn't take months...
    With a cap of 450 tomes a week, it takes what? 2 months?

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    it doesn't take months...
    Weekly cap is 450. Total cost of tomestone gear is 495 (helm) + 825 (chest) + 495 (gloves) + 375 (belt) + 825 (legs) + 495 (feet) + 5 * 375 (right side accessories) + 1000 (weapon) = 6385. 6385 / 450 = 15 weeks for one set. If you want to upgrade it, that's another 11 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

  3. #43
    No cringy shit like demon hunters doing beam struggles with Naaru and the ever-revolving wheel of overpowered and edgy elf characters.

    Seriously, I love playing a game that actually has a clear intent behind its storyline and isn't just adlibbing over a decade of lore. There are things I don't care for when it comes to FFXIV but the most impressive thing they do is make a story about killing gods and dimensional travel actually surprisingly grounded.
    If you reply to me with a full essay I'm probably not going to bother reading it, sorry.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    No cringy shit like demon hunters doing beam struggles with Naaru
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

  5. #45
    Herald of the Titans Klingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Parliament of the Daleks
    Posts
    2,905
    The art style, the music, the story, the character customisation, the non-toxic community, more evergreen content, gear you can work towards at your own pace, New Game+, and this is the big one:

    Developers that somehow despite working through Japanese translators communicate their design intent in plainer English than Ion Hozikostas.

    Oh yeah. and they actually listen to their players.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Huh?
    The difference is that that's actually earned and a part of the story, not just fellating a dragged out corpse of a dead fan favorite character. Kinda feels like you just read "beam struggle" and stopped there.
    If you reply to me with a full essay I'm probably not going to bother reading it, sorry.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Weekly cap is 450. Total cost of tomestone gear is 495 (helm) + 825 (chest) + 495 (gloves) + 375 (belt) + 825 (legs) + 495 (feet) + 5 * 375 (right side accessories) + 1000 (weapon) = 6385. 6385 / 450 = 15 weeks for one set. If you want to upgrade it, that's another 11 weeks.
    That gear is in tandem with raid gear. And the cap has never felt bad here. It feels like I can make steady progress every week on my character

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    No cringy shit like demon hunters doing beam struggles with Naaru and the ever-revolving wheel of overpowered and edgy elf characters.

    Seriously, I love playing a game that actually has a clear intent behind its storyline and isn't just adlibbing over a decade of lore. There are things I don't care for when it comes to FFXIV but the most impressive thing they do is make a story about killing gods and dimensional travel actually surprisingly grounded.
    Ironically i find the opposite to be true. Not in a bad way, mind you. To give context: There i was happily wandering about this little fantasy universe with all its magical creatures and steampunk little addons settling into the universe of final fantasy (ive never played any other ff games before), and i get this cutscene. It's all giant spaceships and lazers and future tech (the intro to the empire).

    Im baffled by the massive tonal shift. So much so, that i think 'i need to understand the lore'. So i watched a tonne of videos on ff lore trying to see how we ended up in this situation. It did not... go well. What i could glean from it all is that the games are only loosely tied together in some multi-dimensional universe where certain themes or characters or races all crop up, but that they exist in independent universes from one another. Not independent universes as in independent games, but actual independent universes within some single multidimensional universe. In some universes Cid is a sweet engineer who helps you out. In another, he's evil. And that this game is just one of those universes. I'm only 2/3rds through the heavensward 3.0 story, so perhaps the 2 expansions build on it. Or maybe they dont bother. (And honestly, they dont really need to. Its nice that anything can happen).

    In addition, i also think about the music in game. Sometimes its so high fantasy (Limsa Lominsa theme), which is so perfect and elegant and completely befitting that initial introduction of the world. Yet, as you go on, the butt-rock starts peeking through in your trials and boss fights. The game just refuses to get stuck in a theme. Just this morning i had to check, because i was convinced that it had to be 2 different people writing it. But nope, turns out Soken did almost all of it.

    Its awesome but also incredibly bananas. So i gave up trying to figure out whats happening and now just roll with it.

    Wow to me is much more straightforward. Once upon a time some orcs came through a dark portal from another area of the galaxy (caused by some eternal battle between titans and the void), and our planet is actually a giant titan baby egg. And then we did some stuff, and now we're all sort of dead. But not really. Yay!
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-05-17 at 08:18 AM.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post

    Im baffled by the massive tonal shift. So much so, that i think 'i need to understand the lore'. So i watched a tonne of videos on ff lore trying to see how we ended up in this situation. It did not... go well. What i could glean from it all is that the games are only loosely tied together in some multi-dimensional universe where certain themes or characters or races all crop up, but that they exist in independent universes from one another. Not independent universes as in independent games, but actual independent universes within some single multidimensional universe. In some universes Cid is a sweet engineer who helps you out. In another, he's evil. And that this game is just one of those universes. I'm only 2/3rds through the heavensward 3.0 story, so perhaps the 2 expansions build on it. Or maybe they dont bother. (And honestly, they dont really need to. Its nice that anything can happen).
    Ah I see where you got confused, all the numbered Final Fantasy games are their own universes and stories with no connection to each other, they just have similar themes and design choices. So you don't need to have played any of the previous FF games to understand the plot of FF14. There are some references to previous FF games in 14 but that's all they are, references.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Not everything you get in life has to be used to its maximum potential, sometimes it's just fun to get it.

    If you buy a sportscar you're probably not going to push the crap out of the engine and go down the freeway like a maniac. Just owning it is the purpose, not the utility it offers.
    Eh, as someone who owns a sports car, I certainly own it for the utility it offers, not some collection item in a garage. The utility being fun in this case, something your average soul-less A-B machine doesn't offer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scathan View Post
    That gear is in tandem with raid gear. And the cap has never felt bad here. It feels like I can make steady progress every week on my character
    The tandem piece is irrelevant for this discussion because the context of the original point was for a non-raider as in someone casually accruing the pieces over time via matchmade content, which to @Rogalicious point, is that it does indeed take months.

    Steady progress in FF14 has always felt meaningless to me. If I didn't run ACT I would never even be able to tell a difference in output because of how linear gearing is in this game. Not a bad thing in a vacuum, but it has it's pros and cons. Regardless of my gear I can do any content in the game and 90% of the time in matchmade content it gets synced down anyway so I never really understood the progression piece of it, but then again I barely care about it in WoW either. I usually hit relatively max gear very quickly in that game with only a handful of outliers that might take a few weeks to secure.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    What i could glean from it all is that the games are only loosely tied together in some multi-dimensional universe where certain themes or characters or races all crop up, but that they exist in independent universes from one another. Not independent universes as in independent games, but actual independent universes within some single multidimensional universe. In some universes Cid is a sweet engineer who helps you out. In another, he's evil. And that this game is just one of those universes. I'm only 2/3rds through the heavensward 3.0 story, so perhaps the 2 expansions build on it. Or maybe they dont bother. (And honestly, they dont really need to. Its nice that anything can happen).!
    Final Fantasy games are not "connected" in an actual big way. Each is their own installment with story, character and whatnot, with usually just referencing other games. FF3 has nothing to do with FF9 for example. The only thing they keep in some form, is usually having a character named Cid, a pair of characters named Biggs and Wedge and a few other staples, but they're still each their own. The Cid from FF8 has no connection outside of the name, with the one in FF7 or 14 (and other games ofcourse)
    They are completely seperate games with the exception of FFX/FFX-2 and the FF3 trilogy.
    To understand the story of FF14 (or any installment), you do NOT need to look up anything about any of the other games, the most you'd get out of that, is understanding if they referencing stuff directly, like Eden using FF8 music and the general theme of "memories" like they did in FF8 itself.
    Last edited by Shakzor; 2021-05-17 at 02:10 PM.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Velnora View Post
    This is one of my biggest gripes. Outside of raids, the gear you acquire is completely useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    What is gear for, if not the latest content? Is that not how all mmo's with vertical progression work?
    It's also not completely useless as there are new dungeons and trials added in the MSQ that require higher ilevel in order to queue for. Having this gear means you're already over that annoying hurdle.

    But as already stated, how is this different than any other MMO where the gear you acquire is really only suited towards helping you progress in the latest content?

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It's also not completely useless as there are new dungeons and trials added in the MSQ that require higher ilevel in order to queue for. Having this gear means you're already over that annoying hurdle.

    But as already stated, how is this different than any other MMO where the gear you acquire is really only suited towards helping you progress in the latest content?
    Dungeons, which are nothing but glorified hallways, that drop gear that is already inferior on day 1. It would be nice if there was actual incentive of running the new dungeon, outside of msq requirement.
    Last edited by Velnora; 2021-05-17 at 02:43 PM.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Velnora View Post
    Dungeons, which are nothing but glorified hallways, that drop gear that is already inferior on day 1.
    Doesn't change the fact that you need a higher ilevel to even get into them, therefore making that higher ilevel gear by definition, not useless.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that you need a higher ilevel to even get into them, therefore making that higher ilevel gear by definition, not useless.
    Which at that point, is just some arbitrary requirement.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Velnora View Post
    Which at that point, is just some arbitrary requirement.
    And? It's still a requirement you need that gear for, arbitrary or not.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    And? It's still a requirement you need that gear for, arbitrary or not.
    At the time new dungeons come out, that "requirement" only applies to fresh max levels. Just because it exists, doesn't somehow make the gear you have been attaining over the weeks somehow more meaningful.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Velnora View Post
    At the time new dungeons come out, that "requirement" only applies to fresh max levels. Just because it exists, doesn't somehow make the gear you have been attaining over the weeks somehow more meaningful.
    That minimum ilevel requirement is there forever, what are you talking about? It doesn't just apply to fresh max level characters. It's entirely possible for even a veteran to not meet that requirement if they want to tackle that dungeon or trial on a class they haven't been gearing.

    I never stated the gear was "more meaningful," just saying that it's not useless because it helps ensure you meet that silly minimum ilevel requirement. Otherwise, you hit that arbitrary wall and have to grind gear, or buy it from the MB, before you can progress the MSQ because you don't meet that ilevel requirement for that new dungeon or trial.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    That minimum ilevel requirement is there forever, what are you talking about? It doesn't just apply to fresh max level characters. It's entirely possible for even a veteran to not meet that requirement if they want to tackle that dungeon or trial on a class they haven't been gearing.

    I never stated the gear was "more meaningful," just saying that it's not useless because it helps ensure you meet that silly minimum ilevel requirement. Otherwise, you hit that arbitrary wall and have to grind gear, or buy it from the MB, before you can progress the MSQ because you don't meet that ilevel requirement for that new dungeon or trial.
    It's there, but it's irrelevant. If a veteran doesn't somehow have the gear to meet it, they can just buy crafted gear, which is already better than the gear that drops.

    If the intended goal of gearing up (outside of raiding), is to meet some arbitrary requirement, to do a dungeon that drops gear which is already inferior than the gear you attained/bought off the mb, then yeah, it's kind of useless.

    When a dungeon comes out, outside of the msq, there is zero reason to go back there, to improve my character.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Velnora View Post
    It's there, but it's irrelevant. If a veteran doesn't somehow have the gear to meet it, they can just buy crafted gear, which is already better than the gear that drops.

    If the intended goal of gearing up (outside of raiding), is to meet some arbitrary requirement, to do a dungeon that drops gear which is already inferior than the gear you attained/bought off the mb, then yeah, it's kind of useless.

    When a dungeon comes out, outside of the msq, there is zero reason to go back there, to improve my character.
    But, what do you want the gear to be used for besides clearing the new raids? That's the point.
    You are saying that besides the point for the gear there is no point. I mean... it still works in outdoor zones. It perhaps allows you to solo old content unsynched.

    What exactly do you want the gear to be for, besides it's main purpose? It's best you say it than beat around the bush.
    It's sounding to me like you are just saying you want mythic+ in FF. At which point, just say that?

    Also,i must somewhat disagree with the dungeon being useless. The dungeon gear is the catch up mechanism of FF.
    I currently get upgrades from the latest dungeon and don't have enough ilvl for the latest nier raid cause i took a break. I am not intentionally trying to get better gear cause i don't want to waste gil and i am using my roulettes for XP. Also, time limitations.
    So, for you the dungeon may be a one off cause you don't need any gear. But, that is not the case for everyone. It's working as intended in that aspect.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-05-17 at 08:44 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •