Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Story and Music for the most part, is what got me. The Dungeons seem fewer but better made for the most part, but thats taste. However, i cannot help but to find WoWs Raddesign cringy now, when all they seem to bring to the table is "HP, but more." and "Damage, but more.". I also feel less like the Game hates me. In fact i do not feel that in FF14 at all, while every other WoW-Thing seems designed not to entertain or challenge me but to punish me because i dared to want to enjoy myself with anything.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

Not a refugee but was a satisfied visitor.
    The story and MSQ format was really fun so when the last story patch is out I plan on subbing for a month to binge the rest of EW.
    That'll be my thing going forward too: buy the next expansion when it's on sale, wait till the final patch and then play it through. That's a great value to me.
    Love the music too. I'm less fond of the ambient-style music that other mmos like WoW usually do. xiv music is unapolegetic video game music with the catchy pops and remixed samples that are a big positive for me.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    Just started playing summoner and good god, the spell work in this game is out of this world. Just curious if there are any other game on market that can outrival it. Maybe some of them Dark Souls games that I haven't seen it yet? Don't know, but there is that.

P.S Not a refugee but more of a FFXIV resident at this point.
    What do you mean by spell work? The animations?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Serpent View Post
    What do you mean by spell work? The animations?
    It's the whole package as it is. Animations alone deserving a trophy.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    It's the whole package as it is. Animations alone deserving a trophy.
    Yeah, they do a great job. It's certainly best-in-class for MMOs.

What are you enjoying about the game?
    This been known already, but it's the most electric game in the world. Going on the limb to say that they aren't constrain with western nannies and their notions of sex being a bad thing. Unfathomable freedom.

Lately? nothing. Everything is a pattern spam. Does not feel alive or fluid. They managed to make the one thing they could have made fluid; dungeons, also be a pattern spam for 90 minutes. Feels exhausting, restrictive, repetitive and lazy from a developing point of view. And I am starting to get sick of how this game displays orange and purple colors in these weird shades. I say this out of love. They need to hire people who can help them come up with more fluid-form combat on the go for their dungeons rather than making everything one pattern after another pattern.

Not really a refugee cause i play both.
    Lately, i've been enjoying the raids and the gearing up, which i never bothered with in the past.
    The raids are huge audio-visual spectacles and i love it. The gearing is so nice. I am looking forward to next reset where i will get boots and gloves for my samurai job. It's great to have that certainty rather than play a slot machine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Story/lore/world building.
    Animations are gorgeous (WHM Dua and Glare, SGE spells, BLM Foul/Despair/Fire IV/Xenoglossy are fucking beautiful, just as examples).
    Glamour and dye system (although the storage system could be improved drastically).
    Boss fights are fun like a performance or dance and music is beautiful.
    Gear is gorgeous.
    Relic Weapon concept is awesome (progressing this legendary weapon with looks awesome, and you have access to previous versions for glamour? Great!)
    Last edited by Auxis; 2022-10-28 at 05:04 AM.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    This been known already, but it's the most electric game in the world. Going on the limb to say that they aren't constrain with western nannies and their notions of sex being a bad thing. Unfathomable freedom.
    Freedom in what way? It's not like Japanese culture is free of nanny-isms. Yoshida has mentioned before the difficulty in putting explicit LGBTQ (especially the T) representation into the game. WoW had an explicitly lesbian couple in classic, back in 2004. They do a good job in XIV, I don't think anyone can mistake the gigantic rainbow pop after Eden was wrapped for what it meant, but let's not pretend that conservative backlash or Puritanical ideas is some kind of exclusive to western cultures.

So i quit whm... not because its difficult; its literally brain dead. I love having no rotation and reacting to everything around me. But i cant stand the pressure that comes with it. I tried dragoon, and got to... level 40? Then the rotation changed up and my brain checked out. It was fun, dont get me wrong. Watching tanks drop to 30% and not giving a whiff was so much fun. But i watched a weskalber clip and decided it was too finikity for me. Then i found bard...

I didnt think there was a more brain-dead class in the game than whm... Im in love! I get to just aoe on every trash pack. And on single target, the rotation is like 6 buttons! Currently level 48 and ive had so much fun running dungeons with everyone. As a whm every time i clicked duty finder there was a pit in my stomach, but as a bard its so enjoyable. Dont get me wrong, i know theres a skill ceiling to reach for, but the skill floor is like floor 13 of a 20 floor building. Heck, i just did the impossible and got triple commended purely because (i like to think), i used my 2 aoe skills when approproate and my single target rotation during boss fights. Obviously it was because it was a group of three friends. But i like to imagine it was because of my mad skills.

And you know what... i scrolled to the end of that weskalber bard guide, and though the rotation changes, its kind of like moving from cure, regen, medica to lilies. Its the same shit, just with a different set of icons. This class is stupid fun!

ETA: Shout out to the duty trust system. It made leveling so good. And it taught me how to press my buttons optimaly making me ready for actual group content! Im gonna seriously miss it after level... 55ish? Im almost tempted to... nah! i think i got this! Bard #1!
    Last edited by ippollite; 2022-10-28 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    So i quit whm... not because its difficult; its literally brain dead. I love having no rotation and reacting to everything around me. But i cant stand the pressure that comes with it. I tried dragoon, and got to... level 40? Then the rotation changed up and my brain checked out. It was fun, dont get me wrong. Watching tanks drop to 30% and not giving a whiff was so much fun. But i watched a weskalber clip and decided it was too finikity for me. Then i found bard...

I didnt think there was a more brain-dead class in the game than whm... Im in love! I get to just aoe on every trash pack. And on single target, the rotation is like 6 buttons! Currently level 48 and ive had so much fun running dungeons with everyone. As a whm every time i clicked duty finder there was a pit in my stomach, but as a bard its so enjoyable. Dont get me wrong, i know theres a skill ceiling to reach for, but the skill floor is like floor 13 of a 20 floor building. Heck, i just did the impossible and got triple commended purely because (i like to think), i used my 2 aoe skills when approproate and my single target rotation during boss fights. Obviously it was because it was a group of three friends. But i like to imagine it was because of my mad skills.

And you know what... i scrolled to the end of that weskalber bard guide, and though the rotation changes, its kind of like moving from cure, regen, medica to lilies. Its the same shit, just with a different set of icons. This class is stupid fun!

ETA: Shout out to the duty trust system. It made leveling so good. And it taught me how to press my buttons optimaly making me ready for actual group content! Im gonna seriously miss it after level... 55ish? Im almost tempted to... nah! i think i got this! Bard #1!
    You should try DNC or MCH haha.

2 out of 3 of the ranged physical classes are braindead. I'm not even sure there's much to be gained from min-maxing bard songs (the three of them combined are longer than their 1 minute CDs so you have to choose one of three to clip short), and that's literally the only thing you have to think about in BRD. Like, they're the only class (maybe DNC too with their secondary oGCD proc) that seems to follow the WoW reactionary style of reacting to and consuming procs, and that's literally the name of the game. And maintaining two DoTs, which you can later on refresh with an ability.

I lost my mind with how boring BRD was. At least DNC has some pretty animations.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    2 out of 3 of the ranged physical classes are braindead. I'm not even sure there's much to be gained from min-maxing bard songs (the three of them combined are longer than their 1 minute CDs so you have to choose one of three to clip short), and that's literally the only thing you have to think about in BRD. Like, they're the only class (maybe DNC too with their secondary oGCD proc) that seems to follow the WoW reactionary style of reacting to and consuming procs, and that's literally the name of the game. And maintaining two DoTs, which you can later on refresh with an ability.

I lost my mind with how boring BRD was. At least DNC has some pretty animations.
    I think they're relying a LOT on the "pretty animations" angle. I personally think they're making routinely fucking horrible decisions with regards to class design moving forward, but *holy shit* do the new animations look and sound fantastic.

What is it with MMOs and attracting wildly talented art teams?

Having very simple jobs is important because, again, not everyone is amazing at games. Some people don't have the quick snap thought to handle complicated jobs on-the-fly or they don't like it.

Pretty animations have only gotten prettier. Reaper and Dancer both have very flashy animations. With the graphical update next expansion, it could get even fancier. I'm all for it. If they can keep gameplay fun and aesthetically appealing at the same time, it's a win/win.
    Being assertive is NOT trolling. It's alarming how many people (including moderators) still have not got that memo.

Yeah, thats pretty much it. I have sin rogue brain. I remember way-back-when switching to sub because sin was (just for a change) in the toilet. I forget which expansion... but it was all the cool down juggling that irritated me. So i went back to my happy place and just enjoyed it (maybe TBC?). I mentioned this in another thread as well: I freaking loved TBC resto shammy. Again, utterly brain dead. Drop totems; chain heal spam. It wasnt quite as brain dead as fire mage in vanilla; spam fb is a BIT too boring (and non reactive since nothing targetted casters).

Some people just like soaking in the 'event' or 'experience' rather than the meter padding. Some enjoy the cool animations (i freaking love the disembowel lancer animation, it looks so... meaty!), but that doesnt bother me. I just want a nice experience where i feel useful, can help everyone, finish the dungeon, and not really care about my parse in any way whatsoever. If there's one thing in addition though (since ive gone through the same wringer), i feel super protective of any healer who joins the group and want to make their experience as stress-free as possible. I cant help but (vocally) applaud them every shitty tank pull we survive (just to give them a bit of confidence to keep going).

Basically, i dont have any end game aspirations AT ALL. Im more engaged with the minute to minute experience where some groups may be tougher than others, but im still just blasting out as much aoe, buffs, and avoiding mechanics (and dropping defensives/heals), where possible in the easiest content in the game. That makes me happy.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2022-11-01 at 10:05 AM.

meter padding
    How often people forget that not everyone cares about this.

Then you get the "Well they should because it's my time too!" retorts.
    Being assertive is NOT trolling. It's alarming how many people (including moderators) still have not got that memo.

10+ Year Old Account

I think i know where you're coming from. One of the biggest problems for me when starting FF14 have been health bars. In WoW i have been shot caller for 10 years, so i'm used to keep an eye on the health of the raid as a whole. In Wow, if everyone is on 3% hp, it is very probably a wipe (apart from some rare mechanics). In FF14 this happens ALL the time.

Difference is: FF14 gives you the time to react to it. E.g.: In every savage fight the boss aes will drop the raid to low amount of hp, but then does nothing for 3 to 4 seconds. So for me, the first few weeks in raids i had to learn to not look at the hp bars and panic Dungeons feel very similar with how damage is applied to tanks.

But... if you want to play healer, there may be a quick fix: SGE - Before EW i (as a main dps) only played WHM when a healer was needed. By now my go-to is SGE, for a simple reason: faster reaction. Most of your healing comes from ogcds instead of gcds, and even if i run out of ogcds, the gcd heal is still instant. This means that you can react faster, and you're not in the situation watching the tank hp bar at 5% while still waiting half a gcd (well, it happens, but not so often).

PLEASE DONT! play a dps because you think its easier. DPS as a role is harder in ff14 than tank/heal. Don't become a deadweight to other players. If you like healer, play healer. It's not that bad. Still, some day you will not be able to heal the tank, because some idiot thinks its a good idea to tank dezmael in fucking lvl 1 glam armor. Happens, but (at least on EU) i have run leveling dungeons in the 5 figure digits (i spent a lot of time there), and i kid you not - i had only ONE toxic experience in all this time due to a wipe (not talking about PF though).

So if you want to play heal play heal, if you want to play dps, play dps - but i wouldn't start anything because its easier... you should play whats fun!

Speaking of - dnc is easy - i disagree. EVERY job is easy to pick up - the difference is where the skill ceiling is - and i wouldn't put dnc so low - all tanks/heal, rpr, mch, brd, smn, rdm, mnk are easier to master than dnc imho*, but i wouldn't use this as criteria when deciding a job. Each job plays different and revolves around some gimmicks. Try them out, see whats fun, then learn it.

*This of course depends on "what" is hard for you: Is it the mechanics, is it pre-planning your resources, is it reactionary? E.g.: If i have problems double weaving, then mch may be the hardest job for me in the game. In case of dnc, i can see a big difference between medicore and good players, and it comes all down to ressource pooling and fast decision making in burst phase as dnc has no rotation, just a prio system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    How often people forget that not everyone cares about this.

Then you get the "Well they should because it's my time too!" retorts.
    Its fine that you want to only experience the story and have fun. Some other people want a challenge, and damage meters are a perfect way to get better (use your logs to analyze your playstyle and your errors). I don't think one is more right than the other, but on a personal level, i don't take an attitude of "i don't care about their playstyle". If someone is new/wants to experience the story/has anxiety i don't need to die on the "fast fast" hill - it would be nice if everyone could get a least a little bit of tolerance for people playing the game in a different way without getting to the lowest common denominator.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Its fine that you want to only experience the story and have fun. Some other people want a challenge, and damage meters are a perfect way to get better (use your logs to analyze your playstyle and your errors). I don't think one is more right than the other, but on a personal level, i don't take an attitude of "i don't care about their playstyle". If someone is new/wants to experience the story/has anxiety i don't need to die on the "fast fast" hill - it would be nice if everyone could get a least a little bit of tolerance for people playing the game in a different way without getting to the lowest common denominator.
    I'm mostly referring to random groups. Going into random groups with the "pad the meter" mentality is always bad. Make your own pre-made if you want to do that.

In random groups, yes, people are going to have various playstyles and the EULA states you must respect other's unique playstyles. It's quite different than in WoW where you can kick someone for having a unique playstyle. This is apparent when you see a kick request with a reason of "LOL!" SE has a drop selection and "unique playstyle" or "doesn't meet my standards" are not listed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    I'm mostly referring to random groups. Going into random groups with the "pad the meter" mentality is always bad. Make your own pre-made if you want to do that.

In random groups, yes, people are going to have various playstyles and the EULA states you must respect other's unique playstyles. It's quite different than in WoW where you can kick someone for having a unique playstyle. This is apparent when you see a kick request with a reason of "LOL!" SE has a drop selection and "unique playstyle" or "doesn't meet my standards" are not listed.
    Alright, again - padding the meter, to see how one can improve oneself. E.g.: I ran about 10 times P8 yesterday. I don't care what others do. I play - upload my log - put it into analysis and try to learn where i can get better. So if someone is purposefully trolling (e.g. pulling before the pulltimer - lol (now if there is none, who cares, but if the tank sets it, then everyone waits 7 second just for one guy to pull 3 seconds early because of "lol")) it's not something i'd talk about, because its a best a mild annoyance. Still for me the log is somewhat less valueable, and there is no actual reason for it.

And yeah, everyones playstyle is valid, no argument there. Still its a group game, and i can be an asshole and waive around papa SEs rules, or i can try to be a sensible part of the community. What i despise is entitlement, in EACH direction. I hate entitled tanks, that have some ego problem (we had this discussion), but i also despise some tryhard dps who think they need to involve random people in their log shennanigans. It's all annoying entitlement.

I can slow down, explain and be patient to players that have anxiety, so i'd at least expect to not troll in endgame content in exchange. It's mutual consideration. Or i can waive the TOS around and be a dick about it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKarateDeathCar View Post
    I’m enjoying that I finally left my FC with the super controlling and passive aggressive leader!
    Decided to head to one of the new servers and I’m pretty excited to play the game again.
    The moment someone wanted for me to sign some code of conduct i know it was time to create my own FC Any hobby group that needs a code of conduct is highly suspect to me.
    Last edited by Pannonian; 2022-11-01 at 11:28 AM.