Page 50 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I don't feel compelled to log in and do chores every day.

In WoW, you had to log in every day and do your chores, or you were falling behind. You had to do your world quests, and kill the world boss, and then your mythic + run for your chest, and then do the LFRs, and then do your visions. And then, once you had done all that, hopefully you were high enough ilevel to get accepted into a PUG for the latest raid so you can get your weekly lockouts. If you don't keep up with doing your chores, you eventually won't be able to get into a PuG, and that's GG because everything in WoW boils down to "doing the latest raid on the highest difficulty possible".

In FFXIV, not everything boils down to raiding. Raiding is just another activity you can do if you want to do. Yes, there are chores (your roulettes), but they aren't mandatory: they're for leveling up the other jobs if you want to. Yes, there is stuff at endgame that have ilevel requirements, but it is pretty easy to meet them (buy exarchic gear, or turn in your tomestones at Eulmore, or do a few dungeon/Nier runs, or any combination of those three). I can not log in for weeks or even a few months and come back and I can still pretty much jump into almost anything just like that, whereas WoW felt like a secondary job.
    Honestly...a lot of this is the community, not the game. You didn't need to keep up with your gear or whatnot in ff14 because the players didn't care / require you to have the best at all times, or require you to be 10 ilvs higher than the content requires. With the wow people migrating to ff14, I would not be surprised one bit if this mentality gets brought over to ff14 too. I haven't played in awhile so I guess I'll see for myself how it is in the new expansion.

Ofc at the very high levels (world first), you should be keeping up with everything, but this toxic mindset trickled down to even the casual guilds who couldn't clear the raid even after 7 months. It was really sad.
    Last edited by blackpink; 2021-09-20 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Eh, it has nothing to do with WoW. There have always been people like this in XIV.

I still remember people insisting on Relic+1 only for WP/AK runs back in ARR. Not to mention how crazy people got about Titan groups back then.

Hell, I myself was removed from a Leviathan unreal group recently for not having 520 item level (in spite of it syncing to 435 or whatever) because it showed a "lack of dedication to improvement" or some nonsense.
    It does have to do with wow. Although I think I'm talking about different thing than you. I was referring to pre-made groups, not pugs. I never do pugs in wow or ff14 because they're just massive waste of time.

It was extremely annoying how the mentality in wow was always "we need more gear" and we always had to make sure to keep on top of everything to make sure we had the best gear we could have. Never was that they're just bad, nope.

In my static ff14 groups, this was never the mentality. Gear was just a bonus. There was never any pressure to keep on top of anything, so...yea...the community.

Eh, it has nothing to do with WoW. There have always been people like this in XIV.

I still remember people insisting on Relic+1 only for WP/AK runs back in ARR. Not to mention how crazy people got about Titan groups back then.

Hell, I myself was removed from a Leviathan unreal group recently for not having 520 item level (in spite of it syncing to 435 or whatever) because it showed a "lack of dedication to improvement" or some nonsense.
    There are people like this in every game. I remember the most extreme case for me was in Tera, when someone wanted to kick me out of a group because of my class. It was an instance, where at some point you had to split the group and people had to solo stuff. That was just hardest on my class back then, because it was a glass cannon and could get one-shot easily in there.

However, there are far more tools and addons in WoW which enable such / similar behaviour. According to my personal experience, it's thus much more prevalent there than in the other MMOs I've played.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpink View Post
    It does have to do with wow. Although I think I'm talking about different thing than you. I was referring to pre-made groups, not pugs. I never do pugs in wow or ff14 because they're just massive waste of time.

It was extremely annoying how the mentality in wow was always "we need more gear" and we always had to make sure to keep on top of everything to make sure we had the best gear we could have. Never was that they're just bad, nope.

In my static ff14 groups, this was never the mentality. Gear was just a bonus. There was never any pressure to keep on top of anything, so...yea...the community.
    Then I'd say you got lucky with the players in your pre-mades, because the mentality you're talking about has been a thing ever since the game launched. It's not a WoW thing, it's a specific kind of player thing. I'll agree that FFXIV seems to have fewer of those types of players, but it still has them, and has had them since the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Then I'd say you got lucky with the players in your pre-mades, because the mentality you're talking about has been a thing ever since the game launched. It's not a WoW thing, it's a specific kind of player thing. I'll agree that FFXIV seems to have fewer of those types of players, but it still has them, and has had them since the beginning.
    Sure, I've been lucky for 7 years. Like I said, at higher levels you'd expect this kind of behavior, but not at lower levels. I experienced this and expected it when I raided at hardcore level in wow.

I was also on gilgamesh, which is probably one of the more tryhard servers (I'm not there anymore because I transferred to play with a friend and now I can't go back /sad).

I made a mistake unlocking blue mage. I love everything about this job. I was supposed to continue the MSQ, now I'm distracted. :P
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Genuinely, im looking forward to beating the story, wondering what to do, then remembering that blue mage quest (and all the extremes i can solo if i just put some graft behind it). What an idea! (Borne out of pure accident according to arthars).
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-09-24 at 12:26 PM.

finally beat damned ramuh on extreme, that was easy fight but people kept failing. What I enjoyed about it is that people werent screaming ever after hour of wipes. I had about 4 attempts so ~3.2h total in this.

Imagine hour long wipes on lfr in wow...
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

First - catpeople. I love catpeople!
    I like that you can play all jobs on one character. I like the crafting and gathering mechanics which make this aspect of the game much better than in WoW. (I first loved crafting in WoW, but now it feels pointless and soulless, though I use it now and then.) I like the profession (as in crafting and gathering) quests, the weaverone was hilarious. I like the story focus of the game, even if the videos are a bit annoying in raids. I am still leveling my first job (White Mage), but it's fun to play.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpink View Post

Every single player in the high end community expects people to have the best gear possible. Every single expansion, the NEW 2 trials people will request the absolute highest ilvl to join their parties possible. If you didn't diligently gear up and pad your ilvl as much as possible you will be excluded from clears (learning parties will take nearly anyone).

That said, I'm more confused why you're saying it's the community, but citing the fact that you only play with a static? I mean my WoW guild never hounded anyone about gearing or ilvl either, so I wouldn't expect your ff14 static to; just like mine never did in FF14 either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    The ARR MSQ suffers from being excessively wordy as they were settling into the story and their style. paragraphs and paragraphs of text saying what could have been said in a single one. Alphinaud and urianger were like this by design because one is a patronizing know-it-all and the other just talks archaicly in a winded fashion but for other cases it could have been avoided. Fortunately it gets better and more interesting after the major ARR event occurs the closer you get to the next expansion in post-ARR.

ARR does establish the foundation of everything which comes later, but a lot of the wordy stuff is better to just skim.
    In almost every case you can read the first sentence of each text block and move on.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post

Ooooh, can i knock 5 points off the story (5.2/3 transition spoilers) because my character didnt say to the people who think they're the warrior of light "would you please stfu and look at the effing sky? How dumb are you? I literally gave you night time (after 100 years), barely a day ago? What the hell is wrong with you? You want to be a warrior of light? Did you not see that shit for the past 100 years? What is literally wrong with you?" I knocked 5 points off the score. There you go, endwalker. Make me proud!
    The thing about that is that We just got out of a conversation despelling their bias against the warrior of light mantel. As the WoD we had a profound influence on that outlook and then Elidibus took advantage of that by raising their spirits. We couldn't clear up the issue without disheartening them or confusing them after what we just said when trying to do the old Warriors of Light justice.

Its also very hard for us to go counter against what is a very sincere effort on their side to do good due to our example and our actions. We would have to crush their hopes. All the stuff you bring up to sway them away from being manipulated is stuff we ourselves just negated as potential arguements. Elidibus really played a fantastic card there, classic Ascian mindgames. Hope is also really hard to kill, especially when we ourselves do so much to foster it in them.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2021-10-05 at 12:57 PM.

As one who was glad to have left WoW cause the current expansion was boring, I was super happy to have come across FFXIV. I am having lots of fun in the game right now. I pretty love everything about it.

I love the story, the gameplay, and I love the classes (jobs) in the game. I will definitely be enjoying my time in Eorzea for a while

I'm leveling up still through MSQs, but I seem to have stopped logging in much. We'll see how it goes in Endwalker, but I'm not really feeling excited to be playing the game.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Hooked on Golden Saucer, send help.

I have just finished the 3.0 MSQ and bloody hell, I don't remember the last time WoW gave me such goosebumps. Heavensward is like a different game to ARR in terms of the story, I wasn't expecting to like it that much. My main job (dragoon) is also quite fancy now at 60, which makes it all the more unbearable when I get a low level dungeon in the roulette, especially ones that are pre-40.

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    I have just finished the 3.0 MSQ and bloody hell, I don't remember the last time WoW gave me such goosebumps. Heavensward is like a different game to ARR in terms of the story, I wasn't expecting to like it that much. My main job (dragoon) is also quite fancy now at 60, which makes it all the more unbearable when I get a low level dungeon in the roulette, especially ones that are pre-40.
    And it only gets worse! It's like playing a different job entirely sometimes. My muscle memory is frequently confused when I'm doing daily roulettes.

Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    And it only gets worse! It's like playing a different job entirely sometimes. My muscle memory is frequently confused when I'm doing daily roulettes.
    Wouldn’t say worse just different. Can be a bit of fresh air to not have so many things to press lol. Though I do final myself hitting move that I don’t have..

A lot of it depends on the job.

Most melee are just missing a final combo step or a second AoE combo. Them you've got BLM over there trying to remember their rotation for this level, because depending on the spells and traits they have they'll end up doing next to no DPS when they get it wrong.
    BLM is the worst at this. Had a roulette yesterday, Cutter's Cry, where the BLM was synced down yet kept messing up their rotation and the run took longer than many of the runs previously. I finally asked them what was going on (noticing a LOT of Blizzard casts, and them taking a lot of damage, said "been a while since you were synced so far down eh? BLM sucks at that, you good?") and they said they were messing up their rotation due to being so locked into the level 70+ rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Wouldn’t say worse just different. Can be a bit of fresh air to not have so many things to press lol. Though I do final myself hitting move that I don’t have..
    Dragoon does not have AoE at all pre-40. I get the same dungeons with my dragoon and with my machinist and the dps is night and day kind of difference purely because the machinist spams the 1 AoE they got for 80% of the dungeon while dragoon has to go through the 1-2(-3 if high enough) combo on every single target individually. Anyway, not that it matters on those levels, but on the occasion where we are all sprouts AND playing such jobs you can definitely feel the difference. Plus, it sucks as gameplay having no AoE to use, for my taste anyway.