Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Saravat View Post
    Is there a solution for me or do I need to either suck it up and deal with the godawful storytelling method or give up and play other games?
    If you don't like long winded visual novels, don't play FFXIV. That is the essence of FF14. There is other stuff tacked on such as raiding and PvP, but there isn't much meat to them. If you skip through the VN to get to those parts, you will be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    If you don't like long winded visual novels, don't play FFXIV. That is the essence of FF14. There is other stuff tacked on such as raiding and PvP, but there isn't much meat to them. If you skip through the VN to get to those parts, you will be disappointed.
    Unless you like them like a lot of people because a lot of them are super fun. Especially the end-game raiding content.

But hey here's Val again hating everything about it and pretending the game is just a VN.
    Last edited by Arlette; Today at 02:28 AM.

I mean, it's a pretty strong singleplayer story first and foremost. It just also has multiplayer elements added to it, housing, a bunch of side content, gathering and crafting jobs, yadda yadda yadda.

And it's good that way.

A story with gameplay attached, like a video game? You heard it here first: Val is upset FF14 is a video game.

Pvp is fine, raids are great and visually telling of an entire story in an MMO-fight, but some like DSR sort of require you to have paid attention in heavensward, which is wholly different to wow where most bosses are just loot pinatas reskinned.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatBlast View Post
    A story with gameplay attached, like a video game? You heard it here first: Val is upset FF14 is a video game.

Pvp is fine, raids are great and visually telling of an entire story in an MMO-fight, but some like DSR sort of require you to have paid attention in heavensward, which is wholly different to wow where most bosses are just loot pinatas reskinned.
    Sometimes they say "ENOUGH!" though...

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Sometimes they say "ENOUGH!" though...
    “I was just protecting you from a far worse threat because I loved you so much”.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatBlast View Post
    “I was just protecting you from a far worse threat because I loved you so much”.
    The Firster Ones....

It's also a little weird to see somebody talk about how bad the raid fights are in FF14 when in WoW we just had an expansion where multiple WF guilds came out talking about how bad Sylvanas was as a final boss in a raid.

That's not to say raiding in SL was bad. Nathria and Sepulcher were super fun. Just seems like a really bizarre attack to lob when people have been talking about how they loved Ultimate Dragonsong's Reprise for a while, not to mention the others.
    Last edited by Arlette; Today at 04:36 AM.

Loved everything through shadowbringers. Actually struggled to get through endwalker (i took a 3 month break or so after shadowbringers and came back for endwalker so it's not like I was just burned out or something). I had to force myself to log in just to finish it at the very end. Really just didn't care about the story in the slightest

Quote Originally Posted by Arlette View Post
    It's also a little weird to see somebody talk about how bad the raid fights are in FF14 when in WoW we just had an expansion where multiple WF guilds came out talking about how bad Sylvanas was as a final boss in a raid.
    In fairness, I think a good fight is for a WF guild vs what a good fight is for an LFR or normal player are 2 very different things. Sylvanas is a pretty cool fight if you 1 or 2 shot it. Not a very cool fight when you wipe 10 mins in 400 times

Quote Originally Posted by Arlette View Post

That's not to say raiding in SL was bad. Nathria and Sepulcher were super fun. Just seems like a really bizarre attack to lob when people have been talking about how they loved Ultimate Dragonsong's Reprise for a while, not to mention the others.
    I mean, WF guilds also weren't happy with Sepulcher. Spent the majority of their time doing splitruns to the point that it looked like their soul was about to leave their bodies.

I don't feel compelled to log in and do chores every day.

In WoW, you had to log in every day and do your chores, or you were falling behind. You had to do your world quests, and kill the world boss, and then your mythic + run for your chest, and then do the LFRs, and then do your visions. And then, once you had done all that, hopefully you were high enough ilevel to get accepted into a PUG for the latest raid so you can get your weekly lockouts. If you don't keep up with doing your chores, you eventually won't be able to get into a PuG, and that's GG because everything in WoW boils down to "doing the latest raid on the highest difficulty possible".

In FFXIV, not everything boils down to raiding. Raiding is just another activity you can do if you want to do. Yes, there are chores (your roulettes), but they aren't mandatory: they're for leveling up the other jobs if you want to. Yes, there is stuff at endgame that have ilevel requirements, but it is pretty easy to meet them (buy exarchic gear, or turn in your tomestones at Eulmore, or do a few dungeon/Nier runs, or any combination of those three). I can not log in for weeks or even a few months and come back and I can still pretty much jump into almost anything just like that, whereas WoW felt like a secondary job.

The only real problem is that PuGing trial/raid content suffers from the same problem that PuGing WoW content does: if you're not in a learning party during the first day or two, you've missed the train and pretty much every PuG after is going to expect that you perfectly know the mechanics, and sometimes expects that you have a ilevel higher than what the instance actually drops. That's not so much a problem with the game itself, but with the absurd expectations MMO players have formed.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess the other thing I like about FFXIV is the story and the music. I have my gripes with the story but it's pretty consistently good. The music is also pretty great.

- - - Updated - - -

I do really wish that the dialogue/text boxes during battle were voiced. I am in the middle of a fight - in addition to having to watch my cooldowns and rotation - I also have to be looking at the AoE markers on the ground, what my target is casting, the status of my party members, etc, and I just can't really read a dialogue or text-box that only lasts 4 seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

I also like how FFXIV doesn't remove content from the game. Well... yes, they do remove stuff: the Garo glamours, the Yokai Watch and Dragon Quest minions and the FFXV car mount disappear for years at a time, and then there is the seasonal event stuff that gets put into the store... but they don't do the stupid WoW thing where they literally yank out entire storylines from the game. In WoW, the second half of the MoP and WoD stories were told in the Legendary Questline... which were removed for arbitrary reasons (imagine if the Heavensward post patch MSQ was removed). And the excellent Mage Tower content in Legion was removed... for arbitrary reasons. Really great, amazing stuff that my friends won't ever get to see because they weren't playing when that stuff was still in the game.
    This is the EXACT reason i started buying(with gold) carries through heroic. That, and the nathria plate set is absolutely SICK.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I mean, WF guilds also weren't happy with Sepulcher. Spent the majority of their time doing splitruns to the point that it looked like their soul was about to leave their bodies.
    I had quit by then so I followed it less so I didn't want to assume. I just don't remember hearing as much about it except for that one boss that looks like it's out of Starcraft requiring 400 pulls or something.

I do distinctly remember people saying how much they hated Sylvanas' raid fight.