Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
18
... LastLast
  1. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    I like to think of FFXIV as a good book you can recommend to a friend. Just because they haven't read it yet doesn't mean they're "behind." They've just yet to experience it. You get excited yourself because you want to see how they react to various plot points scattered throughout... you aren't simply waiting for them to finish it.

    Whereas WoW is more like your high school prom. If you want to experience it properly, you need to do so when it's relevant. If you go to that prom years later... it's going to be weird, man. You missed out on the intended experience.
    This is an excellent analogy!

  2. #142
    The Lightbringer Wangming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Not Azeroth
    Posts
    3,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    It's not really about victim card, I just feel that adding unprovable conditions to your question is unfair and any answer could easily be dismissed by saying "oh, yeah, Yoshi-P said that, but it's not like vast majority asked for it, just some niche part of the playerbase". The ones I've named at least had no vocal opposition, there are popular requests like reducing combos to one button with updating skill similar to how PvP already does that. Maybe most people actually love sitting in the middle of cutscene when duty finder gives you an option to enter dungeon, but you entered queue on different job and your only options are either skipping cutscene (not quitting it and allowing you to watch it later like you do when you enter DF party on your current job, just skipping) or declining invitation. Maybe different ingame windows randomly blocking each other is really popular in the playerbase.


    His team was working on improving 1.0 while making ARR and apparently people really enjoyed the game in the final versions. It was still very different from FFXIV ARR onwards that concentrated on copying almost every aspect of WotLK endgame. With some work on UI and some other QoL things 1.0 might have had its' niche for people who prefer slower and methodical gameplay.

    By the way, I haven't played retail WoW since 2017, so you don't have to redirect conversation to Blizzard.
    For the first part, nobody said people like overlapping windows. But I don't recall Yoshida saying it will not be fixed. There is a difference between I won't do it (classic servers), we want to but we don't have the resources for it (glamour log), or it is not the priority at the moment (X-box version). If you are a game developer you can say so, but as far as I know neither of us are developing games so we can't know how much time it takes to do complete interface overhauls.

    For the second point even you have to admit what you say is not a strong argument "If they take the patched version of 1.0 that was only created to provide a transition to 2.0, add a few improvements that werent there to begin with, they might find a niche audience". Nobody would keep servers up for this, especially when they already don't have enough resources to do what they want to do in the base game.

    As for me redirecting you to Blizzard? Your only contribution to the What we like about the game thread was "they don't listen to the players". It is fair to assume that you probably hate the game. And since you said that Blizzard listents to the playerbase more, it is fair to assume that you would feel better in WoW.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    As for me redirecting you to Blizzard? Your only contribution to the What we like about the game thread was "they don't listen to the players". It is fair to assume that you probably hate the game. And since you said that Blizzard listents to the playerbase more, it is fair to assume that you would feel better in WoW.
    I don't hate the game and I don't think that Blizzard listens to players in any significant capacity, my only argument was that SE isn't much better. Most of dev appreciation posts don't even give any proper reasons besides SE adopting community memes, which isn't surprising considering that Koji Fox is memelord and the game is already ridden with stupid references and random jokes (like fat cat's flavour text describing it as eldritch abomination).
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    Had you asked me a mere three hours ago i would have happily said that the crystal tower needs to be scythed from the msq. Yet, here i am completely in love with it.
    Yeah, I remember the first time I realized I had to run Crystal Tower once as mandatory content. I grumbled, and queued. I had fun that night. There were tons of people working on relics, and I only died a couple times among all three parts. The two times I died, someone just, in a friendly way, pointed out what I (and others who died from it) missed, and how to do it right next time, no raging, no "You stupid xxxx", just, "Yeah, you're new, this gets people, here's the mechanic." Something sadly missing from WoW for the most part anymore.

    Higher difficulties aren't necessarily this way, but the 'mandatory run once' part is.

  5. #145
    The Lightbringer Wangming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Not Azeroth
    Posts
    3,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    I don't hate the game and I don't think that Blizzard listens to players in any significant capacity, my only argument was that SE isn't much better. Most of dev appreciation posts don't even give any proper reasons besides SE adopting community memes, which isn't surprising considering that Koji Fox is memelord and the game is already ridden with stupid references and random jokes (like fat cat's flavour text describing it as eldritch abomination).
    Well a lot of people appreciate that after years of dealing with corporate asshats who don't even look like gamers.

    As for examples of the devs listening to the playerbase and that relating to new content or features: most of the new jobs added are fan favorites that have been asked for a long time. Gunbreaker, Blue Mage and Dancer being the biggest ones. While their inclusion opened several cans of worms, Viera have been requested since Heavensward and so were a Hrothgar like beastial race. Ishgard housing was also asked for since 3.0 and we are getting it. There was no dev time to implement old world flying, but the devs did work on it in their free time because they knew the players would want it. Similar to the headgear that work on Viera. That was something they did in their free time. For us.

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Define “behind,” though.

    There’s differing philosophies at play here.

    WoW focuses solely on the endgame loot treadmill, often adding in catch up mechanisms that make content as recent as the last patch obsolete.

    FFXIV strives to keep all content relevant. Outside of Coils, you’re still being reward for completing old content with rewards for the current endgame, ensuring that players trying to down that content while relevant actually find that completion. And that’s just one example.

    Again, WoW does WoW best in terms of that loot treadmill. But all current content exists to service it, and you won’t be able to experience the content as intended if you don’t complete it while it’s current.

    Being “behind” in FFXIV is a very different thing than being “behind” in WoW.
    In the only parts of the games where the concept of "being behind" is relevant, the games are very similar.

    Left and came back for a while, or just didn't do content, but you want to do endgame stuff now? You're going to need some gear, maybe some attunements or questlines (especially in XIV), maybe even need to level if you weren't around between expansions. You'll need to catch up on experience in the latest content, too.

    People may view XIV in a more favorable light, or see it as more casual and friendly, but the systems are still there with regards to endgame content. You either do specific things to keep up, or you need to catch up later.
    Last edited by Bovinity Divinity; 2021-06-12 at 05:04 PM.

  7. #147
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Silvermoon City
    Posts
    5,196
    Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    *wow refugees and general noobies to the game.
    Tomorrow, it'll be 1 year since I installed FF after getting fed up with WoW (and EvE - but that's another story).

    Suffice to stay, I'm still there and having fun! I particularly enjoy how crafting is implemented and how a huge number of side activities are available (some of them I haven't touched yet). A special mention goes to some communities and small things that WoW severely lacks (housing & bards among them) and that breath more life into the game.

    What I hate (still): healers meta and crap netcode, both of which are manageable. White Mage was my first love in FF and I'm still rocking it now.

    Overall, this game and its community got me through the pandemic, and that's nothing to sneeze at, either.
    Last edited by Tomana; 2021-06-12 at 05:18 PM.

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    As for examples of the devs listening to the playerbase and that relating to new content or features: most of the new jobs added are fan favorites that have been asked for a long time. Gunbreaker, Blue Mage and Dancer being the biggest ones. While their inclusion opened several cans of worms, Viera have been requested since Heavensward and so were a Hrothgar like beastial race. Ishgard housing was also asked for since 3.0 and we are getting it. There was no dev time to implement old world flying, but the devs did work on it in their free time because they knew the players would want it. Similar to the headgear that work on Viera. That was something they did in their free time. For us.
    I doubt people asked for BLU as limited job and Dancer as boring physical ranged DPS with some "support" (that "support" being low potency heal and small damage buff at the cost of personal DPS). I also doubt people wanted dancer more than e.g. Necromancer, Geomancer or Chemist. Hrothgar are little more than roegadyn with 4 cat heads and were probably quickly slapped together to somewhat mitigate obvious shitshow with gender-locked races. Ishgard housing should've come with Heavensward, but they've managed to promise it in Shadowbringers and delay until way after Endwalker release. Same thing with Viera headgear, it shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

  9. #149
    I wouldn't call myself a wow refugee, given that I haven't seriously played WoW since Wotlk, just expansion logged.

    The visuals:
    I'm not and have never been a fan of the more silly anime stuff like moogles cactaurs and so on but i find the player characters one of the better looking/feeling ones in the mmo space, fairly realistic and proportioned and nice looking and well animated (as someone who prefers to play the sexiest female characters available) and the visual quality of the gear actually looking like you put on clothes/armor and not just reskin your chest with a different texture and nothing i have put on has made me look like a clown yet even if it's mishmash of different styles. I have found if i can't like/connect with my character in a mmo then not much else matters.

    The story:
    Not really the story itself, but rather it's presentation through dialog and many cutscenes where you the player characters actually exists, and the more focus on building characters and your relationship with them and in between them. You actually feel apart of the story and not just some rando that shows up and bonks the boss then dissapears from the narrative. Even if I have issues with the whole 'chosen one' in a mmorpg the way that it presented makes it feel more like an rpg with a mmo attached rather then the opposite that I haven't felt bothered by it.

    Smaller things:
    Teleportation anywhere (that you unlocked) any time and no it doesn't make the world feel smaller
    No need for alts, your one character can do anything, all classes all professions, beyond more inventory (bank) slots and playing a different race (that is just cosmetic) there's no real point to making an alt
    Consistency, the game doesn't throw out the baby with the bathwater every 2 years, you don't run into neutered and gutted old systems like legions legendary weapons or the weird time inconsistencies introduced with cata>bc>wotlk
    Maxed out bagspace from the start
    Seperate gear inventories, that is also seperated by type of gear, madness
    You complete a zone and do minimal amount of extra side content and you can fly there
    A cuztomisable companion for overworld content that you get very early and is relevant through the rest of the game.

    I have finished HW and barely started stormblood.

  10. #150
    Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5,915
    Everything.

    FF14 is what WoW used to be during BC and Wrath. You have plenty of content to play, not just a fucking patch.
    Professions matter and they are the most detailed ever.

    You have multiple forms of end game, you can completely ignore raiding if you please.

    It is very ,very obvious that they do care about players above all else... hence the game´s success.

  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    In the only parts of the games where the concept of "being behind" is relevant, the games are very similar.
    The difference being that the whole of WoW is designed around those "parts," whereas it's a more broad focus with FFXIV.
    Last edited by draugril; 2021-06-12 at 05:59 PM.

  12. #152
    The Lightbringer Wangming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Not Azeroth
    Posts
    3,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    I doubt people asked for BLU as limited job and Dancer as boring physical ranged DPS with some "support" (that "support" being low potency heal and small damage buff at the cost of personal DPS). I also doubt people wanted dancer more than e.g. Necromancer, Geomancer or Chemist. Hrothgar are little more than roegadyn with 4 cat heads and were probably quickly slapped together to somewhat mitigate obvious shitshow with gender-locked races. Ishgard housing should've come with Heavensward, but they've managed to promise it in Shadowbringers and delay until way after Endwalker release. Same thing with Viera headgear, it shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.
    Honestly I understand less and less why you are even here.

    While people did not ask for limited jobs, because the concept didn't exist yet, I have found just as many people glad it is a limited job than people who don't like it. You see it can have instant death spells and other stupidly broken stuff. Hell, I have seen people requesting more limited jobs.

    And I'm fairly certain Dancer was requested more than Necromancer. Dancer is a recurring job while Necro only showed up in the GBA version of of FFV as a bonus job.

    Anyway, farewell. I grow tired of your pathetic attempts to stirr up shit so don't bother replying. I will not respond further.

  13. #153
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    The difference being that the whole of WoW is designed around those "parts," whereas it's a more broad focus with FFXIV.
    Sure, but you don't "fall behind" in those other areas. You're not going to miss out on doing something with your friends in...I don't know...Gold Saucer because you "fell behind".

    Maybe we're just discussing different things. When I hear "fall behind" it refers to an inability to immediately join in on the latest multiplayer content. XIV has TONS of other things to do, and that's something it should be credited for, but it's beside the point on this particular topic.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Honestly I understand less and less why you are even here.

    While people did not ask for limited jobs, because the concept didn't exist yet, I have found just as many people glad it is a limited job than people who don't like it. You see it can have instant death spells and other stupidly broken stuff. Hell, I have seen people requesting more limited jobs.

    And I'm fairly certain Dancer was requested more than Necromancer. Dancer is a recurring job while Necro only showed up in the GBA version of of FFV as a bonus job.

    Anyway, farewell. I grow tired of your pathetic attempts to stirr up shit so don't bother replying. I will not respond further.
    I remember the roller coaster of community response about BLU at first.

    But now it seems like everyone is pretty happy with the concept. It's a neat idea, and could be expanded on even more in the future.

  14. #154
    The Lightbringer Wangming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Not Azeroth
    Posts
    3,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post



    I remember the roller coaster of community response about BLU at first.

    But now it seems like everyone is pretty happy with the concept. It's a neat idea, and could be expanded on even more in the future.
    I wouldn't say everyone. There are still people who would rather see it as a regular job. But many like it being a broken class and appreciate that it pushed more people into the open world. Personally if they do another limited job, I want it to be gambler. Consider how RNG is important to class fantasy there is no way it would work as a regular job. But wether they will do one will probably based on how well Blue Mage does. And like I said, there are plenty on both sides of the argument.

  15. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    It's not really about victim card, I just feel that adding unprovable conditions to your question is unfair and any answer could easily be dismissed by saying "oh, yeah, Yoshi-P said that, but it's not like vast majority asked for it, just some niche part of the playerbase". The ones I've named at least had no vocal opposition, there are popular requests like reducing combos to one button with updating skill similar to how PvP already does that. Maybe most people actually love sitting in the middle of cutscene when duty finder gives you an option to enter dungeon, but you entered queue on different job and your only options are either skipping cutscene (not quitting it and allowing you to watch it later like you do when you enter DF party on your current job, just skipping) or declining invitation. Maybe different ingame windows randomly blocking each other is really popular in the playerbase.


    His team was working on improving 1.0 while making ARR and apparently people really enjoyed the game in the final versions. It was still very different from FFXIV ARR onwards that concentrated on copying almost every aspect of WotLK endgame. With some work on UI and some other QoL things 1.0 might have had its' niche for people who prefer slower and methodical gameplay.

    By the way, I haven't played retail WoW since 2017, so you don't have to redirect conversation to Blizzard.

    - - - Updated - - -


    Apparently you weren't big enough fan to know the difference between artist Akihiko Yoshida and game producer Naoki Yoshida.
    My bad. I thought Ivalice team was involved because it looked similar. Now I see this is Dragon Quest Monster Yoshida and not FFT Yoshida. Thanks for pointing that out.

    Why does the game reminds me of FFXII then?

  16. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    My bad. I thought Ivalice team was involved because it looked similar. Now I see this is Dragon Quest Yoshida and not FFT Yoshida. Thanks for pointing that out.

    Why does the game reminds me of FFXII then?
    I think Akihiko Yoshida did work on FFXIV in the beginning (along with many other FFXII staff members), but overall character design was done by another guy, though I think they still somewhat retain Yoshida's style.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

  17. #157
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    My bad. I thought Ivalice team was involved because it looked similar. Now I see this is Dragon Quest Monster Yoshida and not FFT Yoshida. Thanks for pointing that out.

    Why does the game reminds me of FFXII then?
    Thanalan looks a lot like Dalmasca and the Giza Plains from FFXII. Ul'dah shares some of the same Islamic architectural aesthetics as Rabanastre, though Rabanastre influences are mainly Moorish. Ala Mhigo (a kingdom from Stormblood) has a lot of the same Moorish aesthetics as Rabanastre, which is rather ironic because FFXIV also has its own version of Rabanstre, albeit on the other side of the continent (so you have two kingdoms with Moorish architectural styles that grew up in complete isolation from each other on different sides of the same continent? What? Imagine going to Asia and finding German castles. That's how weird it is).

    Now that I think about it, Bozja also has Moorish architectural elements.

    - - - Updated - - -

    And then we're going to Thavnair in the next expansion, which appears to have a mix of Islamic and Indian aesthetics. Hm... seems like Islamic architectural styles are pretty popular in recent Square Enix games. The Last Remnant also had a lot of cities using that architectural style too (the cities of Athlum and Balterossa, and maybe a little bit of Underwalt).

    . - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    1. That is a subjective point, been in 100s of nice dungeon runs with people that are new and there was no toxicity
    2. How isnt WoW Casual friendly exactly?
    3. How exactly? because you need to craft leggos and level Sanctum for the extra conduits? they're really minor anyways and you can just start like that. Also every MMO has chores, guarantee you theres a few in FFXIV as well
    4. Subjective but i hear this is at least mostly true lol
    There has never been a single dungeon in WoW where I wasn't immediately kicked from the group when I said I was new.

  19. #159
    Yeah. It's nice.

  20. #160
    Many things make this game fun, a small thing i noticed which turned into something major for me was well 2 things... 1 i could literally jump off a cliff regardless of the height and not die when landing! the other thing that turned out to be bigger than i thought was that i would literally NEVER GET DAZED while mounting and exploring areas! omg who knew something so small would make my exploration so much more fun!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •