Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Abandon and remove isn't the same. You can still do Guildhests or Battlecraft leaves to level jobs that are still in the Pre-Stormblood leveling range for example. But can you level your artifact weapon? Nope. Can you get your legendary cloak? Also nope. Sure, content that isn't popular won't receive updates, but it won't be removed.
    To the average player, something being removed and something being abandoned are relatively identical outcomes. They cannot participate in the content in the designed fashion ANY longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    To the average player, something being removed and something being abandoned are relatively identical outcomes. They cannot participate in the content in the designed fashion ANY longer.
    While both share that same root feeling, I would argue that the removal of something hits harder than the abandoment of something for an mmo. As its the knowing of something you can't have anymore.

You can still do a battlecraft leve or a guildhest as they haven't been removed.
    However for example, you will never know what rogue or astrologian or scholar was really like because its abilities have been pruned.
    Last edited by Wraethion; 2021-04-27 at 08:30 PM.

I never did get into raiding in FF mainly because FF raids feel, at least for me, harder than WoW raids. In WoW if you move out of a mechanic at the last possible second, you don't get hit by it.. But in FF if you wait until the last second, you're character model will not be in the mechanic, but you still get hit by the ability. That is why it's hard for me. Maybe I'm on the wrong server where my latency is in the 200s or something, but I have no clue how to check my latency in game or if you can even server transfer.

Also I'm not a huge fan of the 50 million buttons each profession has. There are just so many abilities that I need to use in my rotation that it's overwhelming for me and as far as I know you can't really macro abilities together like cast sequences in WoW to help reduce the ability bloat. I think Black Mage is fucking awesome, but I can't wrap my head around how to play it because there is so many abilities. LOL So I just stuck to playing a Bard/Dancer because the rotations for those two classes felt more easy for me to understand.

Another thing that kind of sucks is that for some content, you have to go back to previous expansions content to unlock things in the current expansion. I guess that is kind of easy since all you need to do is go through each map and just do the blue marked quest. It's just tedious work.

With that said. I played FF for awhile and got max level. I thought it was overall fun, especially just sitting around in town playing random notes on my instruments while waiting for dungeon queue to pop. WoW kind of pulled me back in and I stopped playing FF. Now that I am not playing WoW anymore because I'm tired of the BS grind that feels like a second job and because I can't find a guild that ends raid at 9 PM EST.. I'm tempted to give FF another shot. As far as I know there is no new MMO coming out in the near future. I'm itching to play something. lol
    Last edited by FrostyButt; 2021-04-28 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Fun note, when ARR relaunched, Square-Enix explicitly credited ARR and Bravely Default for making the company profitable on their own.

On-topic: The best thing about FFXIV is that the devs care. They're not cynically designing the game around the lead dev's worsening, untreated complexity addiction or finding ways to force you to keep playing for 'the metrics.' In fact, Yoshi went on the record in an interview that he's perfectly fine with players raid logging, weekend warriors, and people just coming in to check out the new patch and then unsubbing. He'd rather you pop in and out and enjoy the game, than feel manipulated into playing daily and coming to hate the game.

He's also infinitely humble--he respects the fans and doesn't treat them with anywhere near the sheer disdain Ion's team treats WoW players, and his team doesn't display nearly the level of hubris Ion's do. Even the writers actually love the setting they're working with, rather than just seeking to push their favorite characters and leave their mark as 'the next Metzen' like Danuser and Golden have.

You simply cannot compensate for a development team that has become cynical, hubristic, and is more focused on metrics and marketing than putting passion into their game. World of Systemscraft will be forever crippled as a game so long as Ion and his team are in charge, while FFXIV continues to grow and flourish despite its technical problems because the development team is passionate about the game and develops it as a game first, allowing the profits to come from people wanting to play rather than squeezing them until they burn out and quit.
    The main thing about the 14 team is that they're honest and direct, when things dont work, they openly appologise and try to forfil promises at a later date, and they never lie to their audience or fob them off with half-arsed answers, they just tell them "we wish we could do this but right now we just havent got development time because were working on X" aka: the cancellation of the latest ultimate because of endwalker.

At least Yoshida is honest about that, instead of Ion going on and on about why "grinding is fun" in some very nonchallant way like a professional lawyer defending his ideas and design choices rather than admitting that after 4-5 years of Ion, the game has heavily declined.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    Also I'm not a huge fan of the 50 million buttons each profession has. There are just so many abilities that I need to use in my rotation that it's overwhelming for me and as far as I know you can't really macro abilities together like cast sequences in WoW to help reduce the ability bloat. I think Black Mage is fucking awesome, but I can't wrap my head around how to play it because there is so many abilities. LOL So I just stuck to playing a Bard/Dancer because the rotations for those two classes felt more easy for me to understand.
    The main thing for Black Mage is you operate in phases. You use Fire spells until your MP runs out, then you swap over to Bilzzard spells to rebuild your MP. There are more intricacies behind BLM than just that, but that's the core you build around and once you get a feel for that, you're usually in a good enough place to learn on the fly in group content.

Most DPS jobs run on a core rotation, either one set rotation, branching rotations, or two rotation sets you swap between. Dancer is a good Job to stick with while you learn the game, though, because Dancer was intentionally designed to be easy to learn and bring strong group support so your personal DPS isn't such a focus.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

The class structure, ability to switch on the fly and the crafting CLASSES.

Crafting. CLASSES!

But what I am really absolutely enjoying is the amazing story. Its treated as proper numbered Final Fantasy. What really gets me about the story writing is not just the main bits but the little stuff too. You meet NPCs again expansions later who remember you, characters recall and refer to past expansion events, even small ones (like Alisaie complaining about Alphinaud boasting about his firewood collecting skills while having to collect disgusting clams, a conversation we dont see happening but refers to early events of a past expansion).

Dead characters are remembered often either by the WoL or even if we didnt, the scions they were closest to remember them and will refer to them in a natural way WHEN something related comes up like white oricite for Orianger. They dont just disapear once dead. That wound STAYS and you can even see it influence the characters in subtle ways without it being said outloud.

it makes them feel so much more alive when its implied they have their own motivations and lives outside of our sphere of influence and sight not only for major plot issues but just regular life.

Even with the small sidequests, I was surprised when a minor side quests intersected with a previous side quest i completed in an entire different part of the map. Someone I helped at the start of the zone paying it forward to help the person I met later. not sure about HW, but I saw a few of these in SB and ShB.

There is character growth. You see the scions change, for both good and for ill. You see complex motivations and you see even successes not disolving the trauma and cost it took to achieve. You see this influencing both the WoL and other characters. They feel alive and not like story components dependent on you like you're the center of the universe.

Most of all you can see the ever increasing burden of the WoL with every expansion and the toll its taking on them. Its shown in big and small ways from the increasingly aggressive and frustrated response options, to interactions with NPCs in the MSQ and beyond, and even little things like how as of ShB they no longer /cheer at the end of dungeons, they just look morose and tired
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2021-04-29 at 09:33 AM.

I'm not much of a refugee, since I just keep my subscription up and let it run in the background to play whenever I feel like it. But as for what I enjoy:

- The world being different and interesting, yet still feeling cohesive (despite the chopped maps)
    - The game having 3 factions but not going overboard with it and not breaking up the playerbase.
    - The story and my characters place in it.
    - The NPC characters feel like they are actually my comrades in the story.
    - The way classes are structured as a focused gameplay item, instead of pointlessly diluting a niche until it has the consistency of american beer.
    - That I can be all classes on one character.
    - The way crafting works.
    - That I can be all crafting jobs on one character.
    - That all jobs have storylines attached to them.
    - The BGM with it's incredibly wide range - especially in boss fights.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Someone just died protecting me in heavensward. I wont say who or how. I have a tendency to spoil things for myself, so knew it was coming. I didnt know how. But i was surprised at how 'heroic' it all felt when it finally happened. Im gonna miss them.

Another thing. I dont mind the aether current thing. Its kinda nice hitting a new zone and having some archeology style quest to follow for a bit just to stop me speed running the msq. Sure, you never finish it until exactly the point you are done with the zone. But now and again, going back there for random silly follow up side quests it feels kinda cool that i earned the power to fly over all the terrain blocks.

ETA: Just finished hildibrand point 1. I paced it out once i realised how big it was. The final boss fight was as idiotic as i could hope. Wow needs some stupidity.

ETA2: strings arent everything. I like 60s organ music as much as the next idiot.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-05-15 at 01:21 PM.

Tomestones. The fact that I can do content that I enjoy (matchmade dungeons and raids) and slowly work towards a great set of gear is truly amazing.
    In WoW the raiding community is quick to point out that you don't need or deserve gear progression as a casual player and the devs kinda agree with them and only throw the casuals a bone now and then. In FFXIV it's been like this since the beginning, it's basically the WotLK model and it's so good.

I've started like a week ago. So far the best thing is lack of grind while questing (you need 3 swine brains? then go kill 3 swines) and the community that is nice and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Tomestones. The fact that I can do content that I enjoy (matchmade dungeons and raids) and slowly work towards a great set of gear is truly amazing.
    In WoW the raiding community is quick to point out that you don't need or deserve gear progression as a casual player and the devs kinda agree with them and only throw the casuals a bone now and then. In FFXIV it's been like this since the beginning, it's basically the WotLK model and it's so good.
    I'll never understand what's supposed to be good about spending 3 months on getting one set of gear for one job in a game, where almost everything 'casual' player might be interested in scales them down and makes that set useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

for me:

1.) The crafting + Gathering
    2.) The class systems
    3.) The community
    4.) The fact that tanks actually have something more to do than just taunt sometimes and do dps
    5.) Healers actually being fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Met my wife through WoW, so I doubt I'll ever become a full refugee. That being said, there's a lot of reasons I play FFXIV more than WoW these days:

- A constantly growing world where we keep going back to old areas for new story
    - The community and how nice most people are
    - The great casual endgame where I'm not just doing chores, but collecting glams/housing items/Ishgard/etc
    - The sheer variety of classes and play styles
    - The tomestone events, which give a great reason to play during content downtime

The one other thing I'd add which is especially apparent right now is the love that the dev team obviously has for the game & the community. It's like night and day for me to see the fight that the WoW community has had over things like Conduit Energy & the Faction Imbalance issues with the WoW dev team, and compare it to what the FFXIV dev team is like. I just can't see Ion dressing up like a new class like Yoshi-P does during FanFest or adding something as time consuming to develop as Male Viera was largely in response to community feedback.

For that matter, look at the different responses to COVID affecting work. The FFXIV team admitted that it was causing slowdowns and specifically detailed the content that was moved until later (rather than time-crunching their team) while the WoW team tried to pretend it wasn't affecting Shadowlands, only admitting to any such delays after 9.1 was delayed for so long. Because of that, one felt like honesty and wanting to be respectful to the community while the other came across as an excuse to try and ward off attacks. Perhaps that's a bit unfair, but that's just how I tend to view each of their responses.

Enjoying

How much free shit i can do without a subscription
    The world and my char are gorgeous
    Mounts are fucking hilarious and awesome (a fucking whale for 8 players!!!????)
    FATEs are a nice adition to leveling, reminds me how bonus objectives
    My char actually looks like the class he's supposed to be

Edit

The facial expressions, i was just doing a quest on my rogue where you steal a box from one of the triangle people, the way she looked at her missing box, my character. and she was just stading there grinning like an idiot had me weak, this is one of the thing wow is missing, actual facial expression other than the common talking while yawning
    Last edited by Leyre; 2021-05-17 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    I'll never understand what's supposed to be good about spending 3 months on getting one set of gear for one job in a game, where almost everything 'casual' player might be interested in scales them down and makes that set useless.
    Not everything you get in life has to be used to its maximum potential, sometimes it's just fun to get it.

If you buy a sportscar you're probably not going to push the crap out of the engine and go down the freeway like a maniac. Just owning it is the purpose, not the utility it offers.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    Met my wife through WoW, so I doubt I'll ever become a full refugee. That being said, there's a lot of reasons I play FFXIV more than WoW these days:

- A constantly growing world where we keep going back to old areas for new story
    - The community and how nice most people are
    - The great casual endgame where I'm not just doing chores, but collecting glams/housing items/Ishgard/etc
    - The sheer variety of classes and play styles
    - The tomestone events, which give a great reason to play during content downtime

The one other thing I'd add which is especially apparent right now is the love that the dev team obviously has for the game & the community. It's like night and day for me to see the fight that the WoW community has had over things like Conduit Energy & the Faction Imbalance issues with the WoW dev team, and compare it to what the FFXIV dev team is like. I just can't see Ion dressing up like a new class like Yoshi-P does during FanFest or adding something as time consuming to develop as Male Viera was largely in response to community feedback.

For that matter, look at the different responses to COVID affecting work. The FFXIV team admitted that it was causing slowdowns and specifically detailed the content that was moved until later (rather than time-crunching their team) while the WoW team tried to pretend it wasn't affecting Shadowlands, only admitting to any such delays after 9.1 was delayed for so long. Because of that, one felt like honesty and wanting to be respectful to the community while the other came across as an excuse to try and ward off attacks. Perhaps that's a bit unfair, but that's just how I tend to view each of their responses.
    Yes!! Over the last two months I struggled logging into WoW. I was playing Microsoft Solitaire much, much more than anything. Then I saw an ad for FF14s trial that went to level 60 and no time limit. Figured I had nothing to lose so I created an account and downloaded it just over 2 weeks ago. Then I spent a couple days doing some research about classes and how professions worked and watched a couple dungeon and raid vids. Two days later I created my character. After my second or third playing FF14, I gave away all of my in game WoW gold and all cageable battle pets. I unsubbed and then uninstalled WoW and the Battlenet launcher. Been having a blast ever since! No looking back!

I'll be honest, I started playing a couple months ago and only kinda sorta liked it enough to keep playing it.

I didn't do any research and just picked the job that I felt like at the time, so I picked conjurer thinking I'd "conjure" summons and stuff like that. Nope, as you all know it's a healer class and a very basic straight forward one at that until higher level. Took me about till lvl 15 until I figured that out and didn't feel like starting over so I kept going...

Until I got to 60 and unlocked dancer and then went with that from 60 onward.

I hit ShB content a few days ago and I've actually been enjoying it a lot more since then. It's such remarkable step up from the previous games (though SB part 3 and 4 story were great also).

Overall, it's so much more chill and feels so much more cared about the WoW. I'm mostly enjoying the change of pace, learning about how the game works, and the variety of things to do.

This is one of my biggest gripes. Outside of raids, the gear you acquire is completely useless.

it doesn't take months...

Quote Originally Posted by Velnora View Post
    This is one of my biggest gripes. Outside of raids, the gear you acquire is completely useless.
    What is gear for, if not the latest content? Is that not how all mmo's with vertical progression work?