Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I thought it was automatic too but I wasn't automatically put into the chat on all my characters
    Really? Weird. Anyroad I'm off to play a bit. All those alt jobs ain't gonna level themselves on their own.

Glamours (transmog) are actually on point in this game.

https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/g...4663/bang-bang

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    Glamours (transmog) are actually on point in this game.

https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/g...4663/bang-bang

Yo that looks awesome! Good job!

Yo that looks awesome! Good job!
    Oh, my bad. I'm not claiming it's mine. The website itself is where the community gets together and shares some awesome looks. Browse it at your own leisure, if you are interested.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    1) Community is overall far friendlier than WoW's. I joined a dungeon as a tank, and I told everyone it was my 1st time there. Two other players explained me in detail what was going on, and the thing went out damn smoothly.
    Pretty much my entire experience with XIV, if you ask for help people will be helpful. I believe the positive community is fostered by SE's zero tolerance on harassment and trolling. You fuck with people, you get banned. In WoW, Blizz won't interfere with problems in harassment unless you're being straight up doxxed.

2) Casual friendly. The hardcore crowd gets to have fun with savage stuff, but the game isn't structured to please them.
    Yep, there's easily over a thousand hours of casual content to collect mounts, pets, triple triad cards, glamours, titles, and everything else you can think of. FFXIV has a huge focus on 'fun, easy stuff' that feels good to do even if it doesn't contribute directly to player power.

3) No mandatory chores. You reach max level, and that's it, you're ready to tackle endgame. Completely unlikely WoW, which as of late forces you to play an incomplete class at max level until you are through with your chores.
    One of the reasons I quit WoW. I had been dissatisfied for awhile, but one day I logged in and thought, "Why am I even doing this?" and the answer wasn't that it was fun, but I felt I was being forced to do it. Even if my doing these chores weren't necessary, it often felt like it was either the only thing to do or that I needed to do it. The next few days after that, I stopped doing my chores, and suddenly realized I wasn't doing ANYTHING. Without chores, WoW just had nothing to offer me.

One big thing I like about FFXIV is that no matter what I do, I feel like I'm progressing towards something. As others have pointed out, old content is incentivized by giving rewards towards various things for doing them. Want to work on relic weapons for ARR, HW, or Shadowbringers? Most old content is relevant in working on those. Want to level up a different class? Roulettes throw you into old content that rewards you with experience.

And the thing I like the most is that crafting is both complex and rewarding AND relevant. You can make gear that will bump you right into current content. It may not be best in slot but it's the EASIEST way by far to boost yourself into raid-ready gear. I've made over 500m gil in my time in FFXIV, and very few people have that much money. I'm sure a bunch of chads will chime in that they have over 1b gil, but they're by far the vast exception.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    1. That is a subjective point, been in 100s of nice dungeon runs with people that are new and there was no toxicity
    When basically everyone who switches to FFXIV claims the community is way friendlier, it gains credence. It might be "Subjective" but when it's subjective for everyone, well...

2. How isnt WoW Casual friendly exactly?
    It demands numerous hours of play from you to feel like you're relevant. You can play WoW casually, but try doing WoW casually. Don't raid. Don't PvP. Don't go hard on anything. How rewarding does that feel? FFXIV nurtures its casual content and gives more every patch. WoW implements some casual progression system then scraps it the next expansion. About the only thing WoW actually keeps from patch to patch is mount and pet farming.

3. How exactly? because you need to craft leggos and level Sanctum for the extra conduits? they're really minor anyways and you can just start like that. Also every MMO has chores, guarantee you theres a few in FFXIV as well
    The only "chores" there are in FFXIV, things you feel compelled to do daily/weekly is tomestone capping. A lot of the time I don't even realize I'm capping my tomestones because I'm doing something fun that I like, and suddenly realize I've capped my tomestones for the week.

"FFXIV makes you want to waste your time. WoW just wastes your time."

Asmongold and Bellular had the right idea there. Both games are basically time wasters, but at least FFXIV makes it fun. If you're having fun with WoW, good for you. Most people aren't. I mod for two FFXIV streamers. Both have had hundreds more viewers the last couple of weeks than they ever have. People are fleeing from WoW in droves to FFXIV. Perhaps instead of attempting to convince people that WoW is perfectly fine, you should see that they aren't, and nothing you will say can change how they feel?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Oh, my bad. I'm not claiming it's mine. The website itself is where the community gets together and shares some awesome looks. Browse it at your own leisure, if you are interested.
    Oh...well still it's awesome and is really another reason FFXIV is better lol

Oh...well still it's awesome and is really another reason FFXIV is better lol
    Agreed! Another reason why all Role Player community should move on to this game.

Agreed! Another reason why all Role Player community should move on to this game.

I agree though WoW did spoil me when it came to roleplaying because of the RP profile addons like TRP. You can't use addons with FFXIV.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I don't feel compelled to log in and do chores every day.

In WoW, you had to log in every day and do your chores, or you were falling behind. You had to do your world quests, and kill the world boss, and then your mythic + run for your chest, and then do the LFRs, and then do your visions. And then, once you had done all that, hopefully you were high enough ilevel to get accepted into a PUG for the latest raid so you can get your weekly lockouts. If you don't keep up with doing your chores, you eventually won't be able to get into a PuG, and that's GG because everything in WoW boils down to "doing the latest raid on the highest difficulty possible".

In FFXIV, not everything boils down to raiding. Raiding is just another activity you can do if you want to do. Yes, there are chores (your roulettes), but they aren't mandatory: they're for leveling up the other jobs if you want to. Yes, there is stuff at endgame that have ilevel requirements, but it is pretty easy to meet them (buy exarchic gear, or turn in your tomestones at Eulmore, or do a few dungeon/Nier runs, or any combination of those three). I can not log in for weeks or even a few months and come back and I can still pretty much jump into almost anything just like that, whereas WoW felt like a secondary job.

The only real problem is that PuGing trial/raid content suffers from the same problem that PuGing WoW content does: if you're not in a learning party during the first day or two, you've missed the train and pretty much every PuG after is going to expect that you perfectly know the mechanics, and sometimes expects that you have a ilevel higher than what the instance actually drops. That's not so much a problem with the game itself, but with the absurd expectations MMO players have formed.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess the other thing I like about FFXIV is the story and the music. I have my gripes with the story but it's pretty consistently good. The music is also pretty great.

- - - Updated - - -

I do really wish that the dialogue/text boxes during battle were voiced. I am in the middle of a fight - in addition to having to watch my cooldowns and rotation - I also have to be looking at the AoE markers on the ground, what my target is casting, the status of my party members, etc, and I just can't really read a dialogue or text-box that only lasts 4 seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

I also like how FFXIV doesn't remove content from the game. Well... yes, they do remove stuff: the Garo glamours, the Yokai Watch and Dragon Quest minions and the FFXV car mount disappear for years at a time, and then there is the seasonal event stuff that gets put into the store... but they don't do the stupid WoW thing where they literally yank out entire storylines from the game. In WoW, the second half of the MoP and WoD stories were told in the Legendary Questline... which were removed for arbitrary reasons (imagine if the Heavensward post patch MSQ was removed). And the excellent Mage Tower content in Legion was removed... for arbitrary reasons. Really great, amazing stuff that my friends won't ever get to see because they weren't playing when that stuff was still in the game.

Raiding is as mandatory in ffxiv as in wow. Meaning not at all. Both games reward better gear, and in both games its very optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    Raiding is as mandatory in ffxiv as in wow. Meaning not at all. Both games reward better gear, and in both games its very optional.
    In WoW, the main storyline is tucked away in the raids. In order to see the latest segment of the story, you have to do the latest raid. In order to do the latest raid, you need to meet the really tall ilevel requirement to get in. Gear is very expensive in WoW (I've never been able to afford current raid quality gear). I have to spend months on the gear treadmill, doing world quests, mythic+ dungeon runs, running old raids, etc, in order to get geared up enough to queue for the latest raid tier in order to be able to see the newest part of the story. I came back to WoW during Argus, and it was months before I got to queue for Antorus and finally saw how the Burning Legion saga ended.

In FFXIV, there is very little timegating or mandatory gear treadmill. The highest ilevel gear in FFXIV is relatively cheap compared to WoW, and even if you don't want to spend the gil, you can still meet the ilevel requirements for to queue for the last tier of Eden or the last ShB dungeon very easily by just doing a few hours of roulettes and spending tomestones on the catchup gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    ff14 does have mandatory raiding though.
    if you want to continue the MSQ, you are required to beat certain trials.
    The above mentioned remarks, ideas and notions are simply my thought on this topic. I do not wish to aggravate, denounce or criticize anyone who, for whatever reason, may disagree.

Another thing too is that WoW commonly locks story behind higher difficulties. In MoP, you never found out about Ra-den (whose lore had huge implications on the Titan-Legion story going forward) unless you raided on Heroic. You missed the last vision of the Garrosh fight if you weren't raiding on heroic. In WoD, you missed the Cho'gall and the end of his character arc completely if you weren't raiding mythic. And so on. Key parts of the story are locked behind timegates and difficulty gates that only 1% of the playerbase will ever experience: the rest have to get the subpar experience of reading typed up summaries or watching a youtube video, rather than experiencing it for themselves. FFXIV doesn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post

You know, I completely agree with this and it's kind of sad. A lot of the "customization" WoW has just feels like I'm always forced to play 75% of a class.

The talent rows just aren't well-designed and it feels like you have to look at ten different things to just know how to effectively play your class, and often I really enjoy a setup I used while leveling only to find it's complete garbage at 60 for some reason or another, leading me to feel like I'm playing something completely different from what I leveled as.
    The talent system was supposed to provide freedom and options but you either play in a way that you don't enjoy or you gimp yourself, choose wisely.
    Super fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    The talent system was supposed to provide freedom and options but you either play in a way that you don't enjoy or you gimp yourself, choose wisely.
    Super fun.
    As with any numerical variable you can either choose right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Super fun.
    If you are very, very lucky your spec has two or more 'viable' (which doesn't mean 'can clear the content', but rather 'does top DPS') specs and the playerbase at large is actually aware of this. All to often there are actually 2+ builds that parse close enough to each other that player variation and preference determines which is better for a given player, yet the playerbase decides that one of them is the 'correct' one, and that is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalisandra View Post
    If you are very, very lucky your spec has two or more 'viable' (which doesn't mean 'can clear the content', but rather 'does top DPS') specs and the playerbase at large is actually aware of this. All to often there are actually 2+ builds that parse close enough to each other that player variation and preference determines which is better for a given player, yet the playerbase decides that one of them is the 'correct' one, and that is that.
    Yeah and sure you CAN pick whatever you want but as soon as you get into premade content other players are going to start questioning your decisions. It doesn't matter if you perform better with the sub optimal choice since you are expected to perform perfect with the optimal choice. I actually like a lot of the base classes of WoW but the talent system ruins most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    True about the seasonal event. New story and new rewards so there really is a point to doing them each year. Shame Halloween was cancelled last year. Hopefully it will come back.

My fav is that we have a lore-friendly anniversary for the game's release with Rising.
    Im sure Halloween will be back this year. Right around that time they were still having issues with the office changes from covid. Im sure the other holidays they already had stuff done for them well in advance but when halloween came around it was either work on patch or holiday. They choose patch which Im perfectly fine with, and lets admit when Xmas came around it was a bit weaker then other years.

I like Rising but I was always into the mid summer event in Costa de-soul. As frustrating as it can be I do like that jumping puzzle tower. Hopefully that comes back.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rizyukaizen View Post

I like Rising but I was always into the mid summer event in Costa de-soul. As frustrating as it can be I do like that jumping puzzle tower. Hopefully that comes back.
    Ahh the FATE against the shark man was cool. Seasonal events are always cool because they are never always the same. There is always something new to look forward to.

There has never been a single dungeon in WoW where I wasn't immediately kicked from the group when I said I was new.
    then you must be in absolute terrible gear or terrible battlegroup. ive been in groups with all mythic raiders and 1 brand new tank not from guild and we never kicked the tank we just taught him. so maybe your battlergoup sucks. try making your own groups and say for completion in title

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Pretty much my entire experience with XIV, if you ask for help people will be helpful. I believe the positive community is fostered by SE's zero tolerance on harassment and trolling. You fuck with people, you get banned. In WoW, Blizz won't interfere with problems in harassment unless you're being straight up doxxed.

Yep, there's easily over a thousand hours of casual content to collect mounts, pets, triple triad cards, glamours, titles, and everything else you can think of. FFXIV has a huge focus on 'fun, easy stuff' that feels good to do even if it doesn't contribute directly to player power.

One of the reasons I quit WoW. I had been dissatisfied for awhile, but one day I logged in and thought, "Why am I even doing this?" and the answer wasn't that it was fun, but I felt I was being forced to do it. Even if my doing these chores weren't necessary, it often felt like it was either the only thing to do or that I needed to do it. The next few days after that, I stopped doing my chores, and suddenly realized I wasn't doing ANYTHING. Without chores, WoW just had nothing to offer me.

One big thing I like about FFXIV is that no matter what I do, I feel like I'm progressing towards something. As others have pointed out, old content is incentivized by giving rewards towards various things for doing them. Want to work on relic weapons for ARR, HW, or Shadowbringers? Most old content is relevant in working on those. Want to level up a different class? Roulettes throw you into old content that rewards you with experience.

And the thing I like the most is that crafting is both complex and rewarding AND relevant. You can make gear that will bump you right into current content. It may not be best in slot but it's the EASIEST way by far to boost yourself into raid-ready gear. I've made over 500m gil in my time in FFXIV, and very few people have that much money. I'm sure a bunch of chads will chime in that they have over 1b gil, but they're by far the vast exception.

- - - Updated - - -

When basically everyone who switches to FFXIV claims the community is way friendlier, it gains credence. It might be "Subjective" but when it's subjective for everyone, well...

It demands numerous hours of play from you to feel like you're relevant. You can play WoW casually, but try doing WoW casually. Don't raid. Don't PvP. Don't go hard on anything. How rewarding does that feel? FFXIV nurtures its casual content and gives more every patch. WoW implements some casual progression system then scraps it the next expansion. About the only thing WoW actually keeps from patch to patch is mount and pet farming.

The only "chores" there are in FFXIV, things you feel compelled to do daily/weekly is tomestone capping. A lot of the time I don't even realize I'm capping my tomestones because I'm doing something fun that I like, and suddenly realize I've capped my tomestones for the week.

"FFXIV makes you want to waste your time. WoW just wastes your time."

Asmongold and Bellular had the right idea there. Both games are basically time wasters, but at least FFXIV makes it fun. If you're having fun with WoW, good for you. Most people aren't. I mod for two FFXIV streamers. Both have had hundreds more viewers the last couple of weeks than they ever have. People are fleeing from WoW in droves to FFXIV. Perhaps instead of attempting to convince people that WoW is perfectly fine, you should see that they aren't, and nothing you will say can change how they feel?
    people are leaving because we've had a content drought so yeah its quite normal for people to leave but like always when a new patch comes out numbers blow up. gotta remember that cali has higher restrictions in place than japan atm so yeah it is causing development issues

Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    then you must be in absolute terrible gear or terrible battlegroup. ive been in groups with all mythic raiders and 1 brand new tank not from guild and we never kicked the tank we just taught him. so maybe your battlergoup sucks. try making your own groups and say for completion in title

- - - Updated - - -

people are leaving because we've had a content drought so yeah its quite normal for people to leave but like always when a new patch comes out numbers blow up. gotta remember that cali has higher restrictions in place than japan atm so yeah it is causing development issues
    You groups have been an exception then. Because there are more people in this thread agreeing that people in WoW kick people for the smallest reasons than people saying it doesn't happen.