Page 33 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    To each their own, really. I like procs, gives me something to react to in my rotation.

There's nothing more boring than feeling like you could just look away from your screen and 1-2-3 your rotation out indefinitely.
    I've never felt like that in FF14 though, because there are resource and cool down mechanics to interact with.

I want to react to fight mechanics, not randomized aspects of my build that don't do anything to make my character "cooler".
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post

What's the issue with the 4 person dungeon?
    issue is because the first time i lvl'ed all the way up to shb was with 2 more friends, so it sucked really hard because we dont like tanking and healing, so one of us always had to be left out of the dungeon and had to do with it 3 randoms or wait until the run is over and one of us would have to go again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigglix View Post
    issue is because the first time i lvl'ed all the way up to shb was with 2 more friends, so it sucked really hard because we dont like tanking and healing, so one of us always had to be left out of the dungeon and had to do with it 3 randoms or wait until the run is over and one of us would have to go again.
    Out of curiosity, why are all of you so opposed to tanking and/or healing?

I can completely understand doing it by yourself and being at the mercy of PUGs all the time, but Tanks especially really ARE just Blue DPS, their game play isn't hugely dissimilar from DPS classes. Turn on tank stance which makes the keeping monster attention super easy, use defensive's appropriately but otherwise you focus on doing as much damage as possible just like DPS do.

Also, if any of you are leveling a caster, Summoner levels Scholar right along side itself (leveling one automatically levels the other since they're both tied to the Arcanist sub class), so switching over to SCH for a dungeon run so you can all go together would be easily doable.

Additionally, once you get to ShB content, ShB dungeons can be done solo using the Trust system.

Not trying to make you do something you really don't want to do, just saying that tanking and healing really aren't bad especially with a group of friends and doing so would alleviate your problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stream of thought bullet list at 6 days in. I still have a ton of game to learn.
    >Character customization
    >The story is fantastic
    >Music is fantastic
    >Zones look amazing
    >Lots of storage included right off the bat
    >The mounts look amazing
    >Many many quality of life inclusions
    >No need to run mods
    >Default HUD can make some really great looking UIs
    >The HW and on flight acquisition system is great (discovery and some quests)
    >Voice overs (HW and on) and great. I don't mind ARR but HW and on are better
    >Dungeons/Trials/raids, and all the difficulty levels, are excellent
    >The boss fights (late ARR and on) are really fun
    >People in-game are super nice. Haven't bumped into any toxic at 6 days played yet
    >1 character, all the jobs (classes) - This is amazing and will help me feel connected to my character
    The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly.

It's a good thing that polar opposites exists when it comes to Eastern and Western developers regarding freedom of expression in relation to your avatar. The freedom to choose and the freedom to express myself in FF14 is one of the factors why I would enjoy FF14 over wow(head) nannies.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The flashy weapons. The plate armours. The hard encounters. How easy it was to find a static on discord even for ARR content.

Honestly, the only thing I dont like is inventory management when crafting and what feels like hundred of animation locks playing a dragoon. I cannot even begin to understand how it played when the animations were even longer.
    Last edited by Grimbolt; 2021-07-22 at 11:51 AM.

The fact the game has a boob slider, skimpy outfits and hectic armor sets.

Who the fuck is blizzard to tell me how to enjoy the game? They virtue signal about all the woke bullshit and want players to express themselves, but only in the western PC-approved narrow world view.

Good on Square Enix for letting players express themselves how THEY choose

I may have said so already, but just in case:

- no signs of pandering to a malevolent foreign nation
    - not feeling pressured to play every single day lest I fall behind
    - knowing that the devs actually care about their product and the consumers using it
    - flying is not a chore to unlock
    - character customization is better
    - many mounts are not just reskins of something else
    - a number of good music scores
    - teleporting without being locked into a certain class
    - tanking and healing isn't a stressful exercise
    - cat people
    - lion people
    - the game's equivalent of LFR isn't a rage-inducing nightmare
    - other players are generally much more polite
    - being able to modify the HUD without X amount of addons
    - boss fight mechanics being easier to both understand and respond to

There might be more, but that is all that comes to mind right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    The fact the game has a boob slider, skimpy outfits and hectic armor sets.

Who the fuck is blizzard to tell me how to enjoy the game? They virtue signal about all the woke bullshit and want players to express themselves, but only in the western PC-approved narrow world view.

Good on Square Enix for letting players express themselves how THEY choose
    Oh my god stop whining.

You can have big boobie anime girls in Japan, but if you think Japan is a haven for free thought and personal expression, I have really really really bad news for you.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy, just wait until we get another wave of everyone using that god-awful, abysmally ugly Regalia car mount for a while.
    Just as bad is the tank thing
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

But the tank is cute. I want it.

Its one of the weird thing that blows my mind about this game. There's this amazingly fun storyline under the surface, but on the surface theres all this...

...theres all this... stuff. I dont know how to explicate it. I made a post a long while back about incongruency between the classic fantasy tropes of eorzea and the empire. And how the music just doesnt, (yet completely does), fit the fantasy tropes. I cant even imagine garuda without her soundtrack now. It obviously fits. Imagine garuda with a beautiful ambient soundtrack...

I just watched a lulu 'streamer' clip where rich made the point: Someone thought 'this is cool, lets put in the game!' and it really feels like so much of this game is built on that premise. This is cool. Its incongruent with the core theme. But fuck it, its cool/funny. Why not have a ww2 tank mount? And as a human being, its baffling. Because i want to take it all very seriously. But... its more fun without the thematic consistency (when it really doesnt matter - ie. cosmetics). I dont know what point im making. The juxtaposition always catches me off guard. I think its 2.1 Hildibrand vs 2.5 cut scene. Or turtle power in 4.0 vs the Mol. I think theres some greek expression about this...

15+ Year Old Account
    I hate that thing so much.

For one, the game just isn't built with that size/shape of vehicle in mind. It's not always obvious with some mounts, but it's sooo obvious with that one.

Plus it's just a big car. Not even a particularly interesting one, it's just...a big boat of a car. Doesn't really scream FFXIV to me.
    Of course it doesnt scream FFXIV because its from FFXV

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    the trust system is awesome... i didn't know about it at first and thought those npcs were just standing around... then i told some people in my fc these queues suck... they suggested i use the trust system... now i'm doing the story dungeons in shadowbringers with the npcs most of the time...
    each of them have their own unique reactions to bosses and events. Like Ysh reacting to academic marvels or certain... lore and event related... reactions in the Switch. Then theres certain hilarious reponses to boss mechanics and the fact certain behaviours are built into each of the scions.

For example Alphinaud will prioritize healing his sister above all else but Alisaie is also quite reckless (ontop of her penchant for immediately using LB on a full bar). Thancred cant use his special abilities without you-know-who to supply him with aetheric ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    each of them have their own unique reactions to bosses and events. Like Ysh reacting to academic marvels or certain... lore and event related... reactions in the Switch. Then theres certain hilarious reponses to boss mechanics and the fact certain behaviours are built into each of the scions.

For example Alphinaud will prioritize healing his sister above all else but Alisaie is also quite reckless (ontop of her penchant for immediately using LB on a full bar). Thancred cant use his special abilities without you-know-who to supply him with aetheric ammunition
    The best thing with trust is still the final boss of Dohn Mheg when he does the chasm and you need to cross it. And you watch how each npc does it. x)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    The best thing with trust is still the final boss of Dohn Mheg when he does the chasm and you need to cross it. And you watch how each npc does it. x)
    its not fair really alisae just yeets herself to the boss but if a player tries it no we fall in the hole...

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    snip
    You've got a strong point. Those were all good moments in WoW. FFXIV mostly does this type of very personal stories through the MSQ duty instances and sometimes 8-man raids. Those are pretty good as well.
    The weak point in this argument is that this is a rare occurrence over a decade of quest content. In recent memories, SL has none of those moments although it could have some because the potential is there. Draka and Thrall talking is just absolutely bottom of the barrel interaction. All the Andion and Sylvanas interactions are so short, they really suffer because of it.
    FFXIV has great moments with small interactions alone, with cool camera angles and effects. WoW in comparison feels like an indie game when it comes to basic character interaction.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Story is good.

All content even from past expansions remains relevant. Fact that Asmongold was not only able to find a group for ARR raids but also get a decent challenge out of them this late into the game's life cycle says a lot.

Compare this to WoW where welfare epics and catch-up gear make every single piece of content except for the latest raid irrelevant. Where Timewalking is heavily and disgustingly under-utilized.

I'm a 2 month old WoW refugee.
    After like 15 years of playing that game, I finally decided to give FFXIV a shot, just before Asmongold started playing it.
    When I started I was amazed how well designed the game is, the ambient sounds, the colors and overall visuals are really cool.
    Not exactly as colorful as in WoW but it's a different kind of graphic so we can't really compare these two things.

I really like the combat, even tho I thought the big GCD will make it terrible, but it's kinda okay.
    I'm a level 50 Dragoon, just about to finish the ARR quests.

I like that you can buy gear from tokens you get from doign raids and dungeons?
    I like the reputation system (maybe not called that way but yea... )
    I like the fact that you can join to these different main factions like I joined the Immortal Flames and you can also progress with their ranks.

Even tho I have many many things that I still don't understand, I'm having fun.

(PS: If someone could tell me how the gearing system works in this game I'd appreciate it. Like how does one gets the best items, any upgrades, or enchants, or it's only from raids?)

"Do I care for the lives of mortals? No. Do you care for the lives of ants that crawls beneath your feet?"

Signature by the awesome Winter Blossom

Having played for a couple of weeks now after a 6-year break, I can honestly say that I enjoy the game not being skimpy with QoL features for the players. I start a new job? Still got flying from level 1 and all the stones to teleport all over the map. LFD is there from level 10 but you can also make/join groups manually if you want. Vendors to sell you descent levelling gear (pre-50, not sure after that) if you don't have anything for a slot or two (or all). The hunting log is also cool for my taste, same with Fades/public mini-events and the job storylines.

Overall I would say that in comparison to TBC Classic (that I really like, just to be clear), I spend more time being where I want and doing what I want and having fun, rather than just spam the zone/trade/lfg channels for specific dungeons. Obviously your mileage may vary on these things, but overall that's what I enjoy the most atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrick View Post
    (PS: If someone could tell me how the gearing system works in this game I'd appreciate it. Like how does one gets the best items, any upgrades, or enchants, or it's only from raids?)[/I]
    Once you hit level 50, any dungeon, raid, trial, or MSQ roulettes you do will give you Allagan Tomestones of Poetics. This is your currency to buy almost-BIS gear for your level (50, 60, and 70).

• To buy level 50 Poetics gear (called Ironworks gear), you talk to Mor Dhona and talk to Aelina and Aurina (link has her coordinates).
    • To buy level 60 Poetics gear (called Shire gear), you go to Idyllshire (Heavensward zone) and talk to Hismena (inside the central building).
    • To buy level 70 Poetics gear (called Scaevan gear), you go to Rhalgr's Reach (Stormblood zone) and talk to E'bolaff.

Once you buy poetics gear, DO NOT throw it away. Save the set so if you level other jobs, they can use it, so you're not throwing away tomestones. Only throw away the gear once all of the jobs that can wear it have outlevelled that gear (for example, if you have all three healer jobs at level 60, you can safely vendor the level 50 healing Ironworks gear, unless you want to keep it for glamour).

Once you hit level cap (level 80), you buy the near BIS gear using a different variant of tomestones that can only be obtained by doing roulettes as a level capped job (level 80). If you want the level 80 tomestone gear, I would advise only doing the trial, raid, and level 50+ and level 80 roulettes on a level 80 job. The levelling roulette, alliance raid roulette, and MSQ roulette are better used for leveling jobs up to 80.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-07-26 at 07:40 PM.