Page 60 of 65 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably the stupidest thing, but I like how FFXIV has better taught me when to use aoe rotational skills over single target rotational skills (I'm purposefully using the word 'rotational', as I'm referring to skills you use in rotation as opposed to CD damaging skills).

I think it's the fact that the tooltips uses flat values for potency and diminishing values in secondary targets, while WoW uses expected damage based on the calculation and just says "damage reduced beyond x targets".
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Serpent View Post
    Maybe. The WoW refugee thing was some time ago and WoW has produced what I'm told is a pretty crackerjack expansion. At the same time, it's an odd-number patch for XIV, which are traditionally the "dead game" patches since it takes maybe 4 weeks to exhaust the MSQ, new alliance raid, etc before getting bored, and many people may skip odd patches entirely unless there's something really special to draw them in.

I honestly think EW is turning out to be a much weaker expansion than ShB, but maybe this is rose tinted glasses or something. I think the new variant dungeon concept could bear fruit, but one dungeon every 4-8 months is *not* enough. They need to be pumping out like 3 or 4 of them per patch, and maybe they can patch in the savage versions of them later. Or maybe they could instead implement "unreal" dungeons, remixing existing dungeons into a roughly Ex-level challenge with a shared rewards pool.

I'm gonna honest - I wish they'd stop making ultimates, or make them only once per expansion. They're clearly putting an enormous amount of effort into them, consuming tons of resources from various different teams, but an extreme minority of players even actively follow ultimate prog/clears, and even fewer actually do the content themselves. Those resources are being wasted, as far as I'm concerned.
    The WoW refugee bullshit is thankfully over so we no longer have to endure the cringefest of people like rich campbell. Not trying to gatekeep here but seriously the pretentious cringe surrounding the game during that era was... yeah... I m glad Preach stayed and is still genuinely enjoying the game alongside WoW and GW2.

Other than that, Endwalker has been a pretty great expansion. The content is flowing like normal and we got both casual and hardcore content moreso than before. We just got the new deep dungeon that everyone asked to come back and we also got the variant and criterion dungeons which were an amazing new line of content.

There are of course improvements to be made (like the rewards that come from the criterion and variant dungeons) but overall the expansion has been very solid. My server still has a small queue of 50-60 people every day that I log in during prime time.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    Probably the stupidest thing, but I like how FFXIV has better taught me when to use aoe rotational skills over single target rotational skills (I'm purposefully using the word 'rotational', as I'm referring to skills you use in rotation as opposed to CD damaging skills).

I think it's the fact that the tooltips uses flat values for potency and diminishing values in secondary targets, while WoW uses expected damage based on the calculation and just says "damage reduced beyond x targets".
    Potency is worse than what WoW does, because you have no idea what 110 potency means versus 150. Not only that, but the definition of potency is not consistent between classes. It's fucking horrible. It's the kind of intentionally obfuscated shit Japanese developers apparently get boners for, it's everywhere in their RPGs and it's one of the most fucking idiotic concepts I keep seeing in Japanese games.

Potency is worse than what WoW does, because you have no idea what 110 potency means versus 150. Not only that, but the definition of potency is not consistent between classes. It's fucking horrible. It's the kind of intentionally obfuscated shit Japanese developers apparently get boners for, it's everywhere in their RPGs and it's one of the most fucking idiotic concepts I keep seeing in Japanese games.
    Sure but what hes saying is completely different. And while the definition of potency is not consistent between classes it is consistent within each class which is what matters for what hes saying. If your aoe combo is 250 potency per target and your single target combo is 400 then its easy to tell that even for 2 targets (2x250 = 500) its worth to use your aoe combo without having to look at number estimates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    It's actually quite comfy, yeah. Good way to avoid burnout, too! (Though I'm actually doing Destiny 2 and XIV at the moment)
    A lot of my friends landed in Destiny 2, which is where I'm at as well.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    A lot of my friends landed in Destiny 2, which is where I'm at as well.
    I am still playing wow Classic as it has been my go to game since TBC classic released, I am raiding there 2 days a week. But also thoroughly enjoying Destiny 2, my only gripe is I wish there was a way to unlock the subclasses that was not gated behind a damn 40 step campaign quest. I don't care about the story I just want to spam strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I am still playing wow Classic as it has been my go to game since TBC classic released, I am raiding there 2 days a week. But also thoroughly enjoying Destiny 2, my only gripe is I wish there was a way to unlock the subclasses that was not gated behind a damn 40 step campaign quest. I don't care about the story I just want to spam strikes.
    At least the missions themselves are fun these days even if you are skipping story scenes. But I agree it isn't great.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    Sure but what hes saying is completely different. And while the definition of potency is not consistent between classes it is consistent within each class which is what matters for what hes saying. If your aoe combo is 250 potency per target and your single target combo is 400 then its easy to tell that even for 2 targets (2x250 = 500) its worth to use your aoe combo without having to look at number estimates.
    But the same is true for WoW. Skills typically do a percent of your AP as damage, sometimes with a flat modifier. It even tells you the actual amount of damage each attack will do.

15+ Year Old Account
    100 potency for a melee class is an auto attack. No idea what it is for casters, but it doesn't really matter, does it? 150 > 110, that's all you really need to know. You can take the potency of your entire rotation, add it up, and that's your rotation's potency. Want to try a different rotation? Take the potency of every ability in that rotation, and that's the potency.

I don't see what people believe is so bad about this.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

the higher the better?

not enjoying anything now. i went from wow refugee to ffxiv refugee. shadowbringers was fun with lots to do but the patches in endwalker feel so long and the content is so little and quick to finish. it basically feels like a content drought the week after every patch. luckily the wow refugee crisis helped to make dragonflight amazing and i've been playing that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by threads View Post
    not enjoying anything now. i went from wow refugee to ffxiv refugee. shadowbringers was fun with lots to do but the patches in endwalker feel so long and the content is so little and quick to finish. it basically feels like a content drought the week after every patch. luckily the wow refugee crisis helped to make dragonflight amazing and i've been playing that instead.
    I'm currently playing WoW again but I'll unsub once I've caught up on the quests I've missed. The MMO genre is just awful. The only "MMOs" with high production values still in service are content based games (WoW, GW2, FFXIV, etc), and once you've run out of quests to do, there is little reason to stick around since they suck at the MMO part.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    100 potency for a melee class is an auto attack. No idea what it is for casters, but it doesn't really matter, does it? 150 > 110, that's all you really need to know. You can take the potency of your entire rotation, add it up, and that's your rotation's potency. Want to try a different rotation? Take the potency of every ability in that rotation, and that's the potency.

I don't see what people believe is so bad about this.
    Because it's literally just a worse version of what WoW does. WoW tells you what the actual damage is (before mitigations of course), while XIV uses weird obfuscated crap.

Because it's literally just a worse version of what WoW does. WoW tells you what the actual damage is (before mitigations of course), while XIV uses weird obfuscated crap.
    How is it obfuscated, though? 150 potency is 50% more than 100 potency, it's straightforward.

It's not telling you the actual, final damage number of each hit, but it's not like WoW is telling you that either when you take armor, resists, etc into account.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I'm currently playing WoW again but I'll unsub once I've caught up on the quests I've missed. The MMO genre is just awful. The only "MMOs" with high production values still in service are content based games (WoW, GW2, FFXIV, etc), and once you've run out of quests to do, there is little reason to stick around since they suck at the MMO part.
    EW feels a lot worse than ShB to me. I'm willing to admit it's entirely possible it's rose tinted glasses or something but even with COVID delays, I don't remember ShB feeling so dead in patches.

I'm sure it's because they need things to headline patches to draw people back in for that quarterly revenue surge, but I really don't like how Square does this thing where they introduce a new concept and then give barely any meat on the bone. Criterion dungeons sounded like what a ton of people wanted, but a single dungeon with no meaningful reward structure isn't going to last people even a month, most not even two full weeks. A new relic step that's literally just the laziest possible method - throw tomes at it - instead of something creative or the expected "we'll have to do a mix of SB/ShB/EW content." A new DD which is an improvement over the other two (why can't they backport these improvements to the other ones????????), but was solo cleared *day one* due to how obscenely overpowered they made tanks at level 90.

Add the most boring class design we've had yet (yeah, abilities look and sound cool as hell, but they don't really PLAY like that) and... I don't know. Endwalker really might be the end of XIV for me. I'm on break, playing a mix of Civ and XCOM and the Great Satan, waiting for the BLU patch. But I honestly don't have high hopes for the BLU patch even though I love BLU more than anything else in the game. With how "safe" and sanitized everything else in EW has been, I'm genuinely concerned it's just going to be another pile of overpowered primal spells that replace the older ones, nothing done about how janky Aetherial Mimicry is, etc. Rather than something genuinely creative and interesting like BLU should be. I don't know if that'll be worth returning for...

- - - Updated - - -

How is it obfuscated, though? 150 potency is 50% more than 100 potency, it's straightforward.

It's not telling you the actual, final damage number of each hit, but it's not like WoW is telling you that either when you take armor, resists, etc into account.
    WoW tells you exactly how much the ability deals. 40% of Attack Power = this much raw damage. You have a better understanding of exactly how much DPS you can do.

WoW tells you exactly how much the ability deals. 40% of Attack Power = this much raw damage. You have a better understanding of exactly how much DPS you can do.
    But it doesn't, since your tooltip will say "150,000 damage" and when you actually use it you do 45,000 or something. Plus they give no good indication on actual scaling or AoE diminishing returns on the tooltips, so you're relying on WoWHead or guessing.

Potency is simple and straightforward, not "obfuscated" at all. And if you want to know the actual range of damage you can just go hit something, which is exactly what you'd be doing in WoW for the same information.

Soooooo... i spent months and months doing something else. Now i need to ground.
    So i picked ff14 as my grounding 'hobby' (gaming is dedge to me).

Unfortunately i logged in to my main and thought "this is WAY too much shit to remember", and decided to embark upon another data center and pretend to be a sprout bard. It's so much FUN being a newbie! Initially i was caught up in everything and wanted to do all the side quests, but by the time i was level 20ish and still level 12 on the msq suddenly remembered that's not how we play this (as a first timer).

It's been like 4 days (though 17 days according to my sub - apparently) of prog, currently got my job stone, level 31 (but 22ish on my msq).

Its a trip. Its like a totally clean play through on a new character (so many blue quests popping up until im ready that i can happily ignore - im looking at you samurai, blu, red, etc). I have zero gil (im on spriggan if you want to furnish me with gil - purely on the off chance i stumble upon the crawlers in a random dungeon run). I have no achievements. I have to unlock literally everything. I have to run every single msq dungeon and trial again. I cant just gear up by switching to my 'main' and soloing everything.

Its weird...

but strangely fun. (except the fact i need to farm that dumb whatsitcalled in heavensward to get my sheep mount again - oh, and all the aether currents - actually, is this a good idea?).

PS. The invisible walls in ARR... on the first play through - not an issue. But now... it's morrowind levels of annoyance.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2023-05-24 at 01:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So now we callin betrayers a refugees ? Hmm ill never understand that social and political correctness in these days. Ehh im to old for this.

Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    So now we callin betrayers a refugees ? Hmm ill never understand that social and political correctness in these days. Ehh im to old for this.
    ...wat?

You can't "betray" a video game, gramps.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...wat?

You can't "betray" a video game, gramps.
    This is not a video game this is Warcraft.