Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
15
... LastLast
  1. #81
    Titan Lenonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    13,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    Just look at how US republicans are better at estimating the risks of covid with their common sense gut feelings than US democrats who all claim to have science on their side.
    people like you are why the pandemic is still a problem.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    Just look at how US republicans are better at estimating the risks of covid with their common sense gut feelings than US democrats who all claim to have science on their side.
    Did ya mean, accepting the risks? Because that does seem to be what the Republicans did outdo the Democrats in
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

  3. #83
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    people like you are why the pandemic is still a problem.
    If they actually took their own advice, they wouldn’t be around long enough to be a problem. The problem is that everyone else is supposed to listen to republicans...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Howel View Post
    Did ya mean, accepting the risks? Because that does seem to be what the Republicans did outdo the Democrats in
    No, he means that trusting Tim Pool, who predicted a 49 state sweep for Trump and is now cheering GOP response... is a character worth repeating...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  4. #84
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    It Was Capitalism All Along
    Posts
    54,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    Just look at how US republicans are better at estimating the risks of covid with their common sense gut feelings than US democrats who all claim to have science on their side.
    Which is why when you add all the red states together (just the red states, mind you), the US is number two in the world in COVID deaths behind Brazil, right?

    If "common sense" were remotely effective at dealing with epidemics then there wouldn't be epidemics, sweaty - instead, "common sense" gave us things like miasma theory, bloodletting, and believing weenis-doesn't-work-disease is caused by minor demonic possession.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-04-23 at 06:46 PM.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    Just look at how US republicans are better at estimating the risks of covid with their common sense gut feelings than US democrats who all claim to have science on their side.
    Uh...care to expand on that? Because reality doesn't seem to back that up. At all. In any way.

  6. #86
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    It Was Capitalism All Along
    Posts
    54,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Uh...care to expand on that? Because reality doesn't seem to back that up. At all. In any way.
    Willing to bet that if they deign to respond it's going to be that shitty opinion piece by Victor Joecks wherein he discovers the heretofore unknown phenomenon that blue states have higher population densities.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  7. #87
    While I am in big agreement with anything to help the environment I kind of take it as smoke being blown. All it takes is America to want their every 4 to 8 year "desire for change" to put a Republican in office and it just seems like we convert to burning oil and coal a lot faster than we move away from it.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    Is there anything in this world according to you which is suitable to use as guideline to make decisions with? If I recall you made the same arguments about history, as in it being unsuitable.

    That said, I don't disagree with you that science doesn't hold all the answers and more likely than not in today's world every bit of scientific finding is filtered through countless political biases. Just look at how US republicans are better at estimating the risks of covid with their common sense gut feelings than US democrats who all claim to have science on their side.
    Evidence, please.

    Are you referring to all you Trumpsters whose messiah swore it was a hoax?

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Uh...care to expand on that? Because reality doesn't seem to back that up. At all. In any way.
    https://www.brookings.edu/research/h...and-behaviors/

    US republican voters on average estimate the lethality / hospitality rate from 1 to 5%.
    US democrat voters on average estimate it somewhere in the range of 25 to 30%.

    Reality is ~1 to ~4.8%.
    Last edited by Yas-Queen Rochana; 2021-04-23 at 07:13 PM.
    - The One and Only, the Legendary, the Mighty - You might recognize me from the forum signatures of lesser mortals obsessed with me. -
    Vexing little man-babies and normies on the internet since before you were born.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    https://www.brookings.edu/research/h...and-behaviors/

    US republican voters on average estimate the lethality / hospitality rate from 1 to 5%.
    US democrat voters on average estimate it somewhere in the range of 25 to 30%.

    Reality is ~4.8%.


    Wat?

    Democratic estimates were only slightly higher than Republican estimates until they got to the 65 and older range, where both were WILDLY below the actual number.



    And Republican's were wildly wrong on estimating the number of deaths caused by covid compared to the flu/auto accidents, as well as being more likely to disbelieve covid can be spread asymptomatically.

    Where are you getting those numbers from even? I don't see them in relation to any of the graphs on the page.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post


    Wat?

    Democratic estimates were only slightly higher than Republican estimates until they got to the 65 and older range, where both were WILDLY below the actual number.



    And Republican's were wildly wrong on estimating the number of deaths caused by covid compared to the flu/auto accidents, as well as being more likely to disbelieve covid can be spread asymptomatically.

    Where are you getting those numbers from even? I don't see them in relation to any of the graphs on the page.
    It's literally the next graph. Both parties tend to overestimate hospitalizations, but
    a large partisan gap remained, even among those with high numeracy. Those with low numeracy scores (meaning they missed both items) greatly overestimate risks of hospitalization, regardless of party, but Democrats are still more likely by a large margin.
    Which, when you look at lockdowns and media sensationalism, it makes sense that Democrats way overestimate the risk of this disease sending you to the hospital.

    But yeah, both parties really bought into widespread danger from the disease, and both way underestimate the actual 80% of deaths confined to 65+. The school closures and toddler mask mandates obscure the actual 0.1% share of deaths (way lower when you separate out elementary school age).
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  12. #92
    Legendary! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seagrove Beach, FL
    Posts
    6,455
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    It's literally the next graph. Both parties tend to overestimate hospitalizations, but
    Which, when you look at lockdowns and media sensationalism, it makes sense that Democrats way overestimate the risk of this disease sending you to the hospital.

    But yeah, both parties really bought into widespread danger from the disease, and both way underestimate the actual 80% of deaths confined to 65+. The school closures and toddler mask mandates obscure the actual 0.1% share of deaths (way lower when you separate out elementary school age).
    It’s almost like preventative measures were taken and they worked.
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    But yeah, both parties really bought into widespread danger from the disease
    Because...there is? I mean, are we going to ignore all the evidence that's suggesting that people who were infected, even asymptomatically, may have longterm nerological/autoimmune disorders?

    Like, this is bog-standards "both sides" garbage. There is no "both sides" here. Sure, Democrats may have been overly cautious, but in a pandemic that's definitely a preferable position to take. Especially when there remain extensive unknowns about the virus for quite some time.

    But we're getting a bit of a ways off of discussing science as informing policy rather than dictating policy, where there remains a very strong partisan divide on a whole host of issues, with Republicans in the US usually rejecting science that they find inconvenient to their positions.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    It’s almost like preventative measures were taken and they worked.
    No, it means the virus wasn't as bad man. Clearly.

    Remember that really bad flu pandemic last year? All those times you caught a cold?

    No?

    Weird...know what's up with that?

  14. #94
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    67,639
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    But yeah, both parties really bought into widespread danger from the disease, and both way underestimate the actual 80% of deaths confined to 65+. The school closures and toddler mask mandates obscure the actual 0.1% share of deaths (way lower when you separate out elementary school age).
    There's a lot of people, like myself, who know full well that mortality rates among children are borderline-zero, but still want schools shut down. Because it isn't just about the kids. It's about transfer back to their families, it's about the school staff and transfer to their families, and so on. It's the same reason every parent knows if there's a flu hitting their kids' school, it's not really a question of "if" they're gonna catch that flu, just "when". It's basically the same with COVID-19. Kids may catch it and be asymptomatic, but then they'll carry to mom and dad, and grandma and grandpa, and so on. And that transfer moves on further, to THEIR contacts, and that's how pandemics spread.

    It isn't just about mortality rates and demographic ranges. It's about transmission.

    https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...students-staff

    It's particularly worrying because you're also just looking at deaths, when there's strong evidence for long-term side effects of infections in children, including neurologial/developmental issues; https://www.nature.com/articles/d41591-021-00005-9 Overlooking such things, which can and will negatively impact those kids potentially for the rest of their natural lives, and waving them off as "well, they didn't die", that's not really okay.

  15. #95
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    It Was Capitalism All Along
    Posts
    54,062
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    But yeah, both parties really bought into widespread danger from the disease, and both way underestimate the actual 80% of deaths confined to 65+. The school closures and toddler mask mandates obscure the actual 0.1% share of deaths (way lower when you separate out elementary school age).
    Because as we all know, children are incapable of being vectors for diseases they themselves are not particularly vulnerable to and there are no adults to speak of in these children's proximity during the school day. /s
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Because...there is? I mean, are we going to ignore all the evidence that's suggesting that people who were infected, even asymptomatically, may have longterm nerological/autoimmune disorders?
    If you're going to ignore the partisan differences of the danger, then you'll have a very hard time showing that you listen to the science. It was pointed out to you and you just ignored and punted. So unless you mean this to yield to Rochana's point, then please say something to that point.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    If you're going to ignore the partisan differences of the danger, then you'll have a very hard time showing that you listen to the science. It was pointed out to you and you just ignored and punted. So unless you mean this to yield to Rochana's point, then please say something to that point.
    That the whole "both sidesism" is bullshit, stupid, not grounded in fact or reality, and is a desperate attempt to seem "reasonable" in the face of unreasonableness.

    Like, the, "Oh, the mortality rate is so low!" shit is absolutely braindead thinking. It ignores the absolutely massive number of additional short and increasingly long-term side effects of getting the virus, even asymptomatically.

    The "Oh, the mortality rate is so low!" is used to justify not taking the virus seriously, and ignores literally all available data that shows that the mortality rate isn't the only problem associated with this pandemic.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    It’s almost like preventative measures were taken and they worked.
    Reminder that this is cases requiring hospitalization, not preventative measures to hinder case growth. Unless you mean to sing the praises of hydroxychloroquine or something.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Like, the, "Oh, the mortality rate is so low!" shit is absolutely braindead thinking
    Is it only braindead because Democrats have far less of a clue how deadly the disease is than Republicans? Cmon, stop straying from the topic.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Because as we all know, children are incapable of being vectors for diseases they themselves are not particularly vulnerable to and there are no adults to speak of in these children's proximity during the school day. /s
    Clearly, you wish they had polled about the vectors of the disease. Then, you may have also been wrong, but maybe to a lesser extent.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Is it only braindead because Democrats have far less of a clue how deadly the disease is than Republicans? Cmon, stop straying from the topic.
    You say this like they're like, informed and their believe that the mortality rate is low comes from being informed. When like, based on all other available evidence that ain't true. It's due to them simply listening to conservative media and facebook memes dismissing the seriousness of the virus. Just as liberals may be more likely to stick with their media and facebook memes and think it's more deadly. Both are wrong, but not because one is more informed and the other less, but because they're both misinformed.

    It's what Bob Ross would call, "a happy little accident."

    And again, focusing purely on the mortality rate ignores the massive health and social ramifications of complications people suffered due to covid, as well as the long-term neurological and, increasingly auto-immune, impacts we're seeing more and more of.

  20. #100
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Is it only braindead because Democrats have far less of a clue how deadly the disease is than Republicans? Cmon, stop straying from the topic.
    No, it’s brain dead, because if people ignored Democrats and followed GOP into attacking nurses while screaming “LIBERATE”... pushing hundreds of millions of dollars in chloroquine...

    You are trying to take credit for the work people did, combating the ignorance of people you claim were right. It’s like claiming Trump was off by just 5%, when he lied that the pandemic is nothing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's what Bob Ross would call, "a happy little accident."
    No, it’s not... I didn’t get covid, because I took precautions. If we followed what republicans told us, we would have hit the numbers Democrats projected. What is happening here, is like saying that GOP knew that Democrats would take precautions, so GOP don’t have to. If that’s what they are trying to say, that’s is truly fucked up...

    Can we add infections and deaths, as if the Trump rally that Korean Pop Stans ruined, was in full effect? Imagine how low the numbers would be, if republicans had the same impression and the same reaction as democrats? We would have opened everything in September 2020 and they could have taken even more credit for Trump lying that the virus is hoax.

    Why didn’t they try a little harder to prove Democrats wrong? Imagine if there were no open up riots...

    Edit: Want to see what happens when conservatives should take credit for their policy? There are no Democrats to stop the asshole in Brazil or India... that’s what happens if we actually acted like conservatives were right in US.
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-04-24 at 01:38 AM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •