Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Should we go back to nuclear?
    You don't go "back" to nuclear. Nuclear is what lies ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    You guys don't know what masculine and feminine refers to in psychology?
    Links, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Links, then?
    https://medium.com/project-2030/the-...y-ede6a021f332

This one does well to avoid the pseudoscience of its relevance in astrology. It has nothing to do with your genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    https://medium.com/project-2030/the-...y-ede6a021f332

This one does well to avoid the pseudoscience of its relevance in astrology. It has nothing to do with your genitals.
    Oh boy does it sure not to when it's functionally presenting masculinity and femininity as mutually exclusive. Also, "intentionally simplistic model" kek.

There's basically nothing here that isn't just the image, no analysis, no research, no citations, nothing. This is functionally no different than replacing that image with a "Virgo" or "Capricorn" image, because given what's presented those have as much weight behind them as this thing does.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    What’s impossible? To act based on science?
    Yes, you can rule out wrong theories with science and you can use more scientific knowledge to give you access to more solutions/options, but science can't tell you how you ought to act and what values the government should prioritize. If science could tell us what the government should do then we would simply dump democracy and let technocrats run everything based on what science says is correct. Which makes no sense.
    Uhm... Biden using science as a basis for his action, is not determined action.
    I mean you can't directly do that but I understand what you mean and Democrats do tend to be better than Republicans on science. Republicans tend to be more religious and believe in unscientific/supernatural nonsense.
    What do you base your actions on?
    Reason, principles, values. We use our emotions to guess about what we should do next. There is no such thing as a scientific method that tells people what they should do next.
    What business wants or what someone convinces you is more liberty?
    I want to maximize innovation and minimize coercion/state force. I want the world to innovate with things like vertical farms so that agriculture is not reliant on the weather and doesn't use up so much space. I want the world to innovate with renewable energy tech so that fossil fuel is always sub-optimal. I want to advance all forms of geo-engineering so that we can control the climate.
    No shit... you need to ignore science to maximize business prosperity.
    How does science tell you that you shouldn't maximize business prosperity? Science can't tell you that but 'morality' can. For example science can't say that billionaires shouldn't enslave people and force them to work 16 hours a day for free, which could maximize business prosperity. Morality can address that, but science can't.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-04-23 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/h...6hres109ih.pdf

John Kerry announced earlier this afternoon that the Biden administration wants all cars to go electrical, to invite credits for carbon, severely punish damage to the climate, and much more.

What are your thoughts about the Green New Deal?
    I think it is a good idea but i also think they should be thinking about more nuclear power plants and/or taping the yellowstone caldera for geo thermal energy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Yes, you can rule out wrong theories with science and you can use more scientific knowledge to give you access to more solutions/options, but science can't tell you how you ought to act and what values the government should prioritize.
    No shit, that’s why Biden acting based on science is a good thing. If two chemicals mix, to produce a toxic compound, it has always been the job of the government to regulate said chemicals from mixing. I don’t understand how what Biden is doing, is any different... I don’t understand why that’s being treated as political bias...

If science could tell us what the government should do then we would simply dump democracy and let technocrats run everything based on what science says is correct. Which makes no sense.
    Why do you keep saying it tells government what it should do? Science never tells you or the government what you should do... if a politician tells you to drink bleach, there is no science police to arrest him... science won’t tell you to not drink bleach... it will simply tell you what will happen if you do... if you think the result of drinking bleach is justified or that the politician telling you to drink it is a counter argument to science... there is no science police to stop you.

Reason, principles, values. We use our emotions to guess about what we should do next. There is no such thing as a scientific method that tells people what they should do next.
    Exactly... which is why it is, what it is... it’s why it’s seen as an authority.

I want to maximize innovation and minimize coercion/state force. I want the world to innovate with things like vertical farms so that agriculture is not reliant on the weather and doesn't use up so much space. I want the world to innovate with renewable energy tech so that fossil fuel is always sub-optimal. I want to advance all forms of geo-engineering so that we can control the climate.
    Okay... I don’t understand the relevance... this isn’t the broad strokes that Biden is stating... we are cutting emissions by a certain percentage. That’s not “I want to advance”, it’s used what we already advanced to... You seem to want to embrace an unknown future, instead of use the tools at our disposal.

We need achievements of now... not the future... because otherwise, that’s a treadmill where nothing gets done... we just run in a loop of ignoring now, for the unknown future.

How does science tell you that you shouldn't maximize business prosperity?
    That’s math... and since I am not a business, I couldn’t give a shit...

Science can't tell you that but 'morality' can.
    Which is why science is better than morality.

For example science can't say that billionaires shouldn't enslave people and force them to work 16 hours a day for free, which could maximize business prosperity. Morality can address that, but science can't.
    Uhm... science has developed automation that works for 16 hours a day for free... Morality has resulted in the KKK saving the south from devil people... that’s why science is better.

Edit: Someone better appreciate this, even if he won’t...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_gin
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I think it is a good idea but i also think they should be thinking about more nuclear power plants and/or taping the yellowstone caldera for geo thermal energy.
    The Republicans would then say that the Democrats are trying to blow up the Earth in the name of Satan by "intimidating" a super-volcano and use it as their next conspiracy theory
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    The Republicans would then say that the Democrats are trying to blow up the Earth in the name of Satan by "intimidating" a super-volcano and use it as their next conspiracy theory
    There is a part of me that thinks if government gave massive tax incentives to oil companies, as well as blocking competition for around a decade... to have them build up solar and wind infrastructure, so they can continue to make their billions, at no cost to them... it might work to save the planet.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    Relevant tweet:

Corporations just wanting to make life even more miserable for the common people.
    CNN just being the usual lapdog of elite interests again.
    umm it was a tweet about what you could do, not saying corporations didn't have to do anything.....

maybe slow down and comprehend it before commenting.

- - - Updated - - -

Biden has to start out Bigly.

Just look at infrastructure. Republicans want to only spend 500 billion out of 2.2 trillion.

They always look to make any effective package ineffective when democrats are in charge so they can then blame Biden for all failures. 20 billion for railroads...hahahah...like spitting in the pool to raise the water level.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    umm it was a tweet about what you could do, not saying corporations didn't have to do anything.....

maybe slow down and comprehend it before commenting.

- - - Updated - - -

Biden has to start out Bigly.

Just look at infrastructure. Republicans want to only spend 500 billion out of 2.2 trillion.

They always look to make any effective package ineffective when democrats are in charge so they can then blame Biden for all failures. 20 billion for railroads...hahahah...like spitting in the pool to raise the water level.
    I think the most laughable part of the republican proposal is that it plans to pay for itself using magic or something like that lol@fiscal responsibility.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Cars going electric should of been a thing 30 years ago. However does their useful life outlast the norm? Does manufacturing these create other unintentional consequences? Should we go back to nuclear?
    Cars should have never gone combustion.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I think Hawaiians said a similar thing about angering the volcano god when they did it in Hawaii.

10+ Year Old Account
    No that's called scientism. Where is the scientific methodology that determined the Green New Deal? Why won't they release it? If it's scientific then they must release their methodology so that it can be replicated by a third party who will verify their work and arrive at the exact same conclusions.
    I'm not talking about the Green New Deal. You made a blanket statement that science cannot determine policy. That's objectively false.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I'm not talking about the Green New Deal. You made a blanket statement that science cannot determine policy. That's objectively false.
    He's playing a stupid game with you, by confusing the idea that "science informs policy-making" with his invented idea that "science determines policy" in the sense of "I mixed chemicals together and a climate change adaptation plan happened".

The latter obviously being so fucking ridiculous nobody could possibly be arguing it in good faith.

It's one of the many avenues he uses in pursuit of his State 3 climate change denialism.

10+ Year Old Account
    but science can't tell you how you ought to act and what values the government should prioritize.
    It sure can -- at least in some regards. You are making the false statement that everyone is a moral topic and nothing can be tied to data, which, again, is objectively false.

There is no such thing as a scientific method that tells people what they should do next.
    There are some epidemiologists that would like a word with you.

For example science can't say that billionaires shouldn't enslave people and force them to work 16 hours a day for free
    Couldn't be more wrong. Workforce productivity analysis, motivational theory, psychology. All sciences that deal with this very topic.

You seems to be painful ignorant on the breath of topics that science covers. It isn't just math and physics you know.
    Forum badass alert:

10+ Year Old Account
    Couldn't be more wrong. Workforce productivity analysis, motivational theory, psychology. All sciences that deal with this very topic.
    Actually, as I said above, the explicit counter to that sentence is the cotton gin... you no longer needed slaves spinning cotton for 16 hours, because some dude invented the cotton gin... Checkmate Lincolnites!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Just look at how US republicans are better at estimating the risks of covid with their common sense gut feelings than US democrats who all claim to have science on their side.
    Don’t drink bleach people... please...

10+ Year Old Account
    Just look at how US republicans are better at estimating the risks of covid with their common sense gut feelings than US democrats who all claim to have science on their side.
    people like you are why the pandemic is still a problem.
    Forum badass alert:

Did ya mean, accepting the risks? Because that does seem to be what the Republicans did outdo the Democrats in
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

10+ Year Old Account
    people like you are why the pandemic is still a problem.
    If they actually took their own advice, they wouldn’t be around long enough to be a problem. The problem is that everyone else is supposed to listen to republicans...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Howel View Post
    Did ya mean, accepting the risks? Because that does seem to be what the Republicans did outdo the Democrats in
    No, he means that trusting Tim Pool, who predicted a 49 state sweep for Trump and is now cheering GOP response... is a character worth repeating...