Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I know too many that have to drive either too far, or spend too long in traffic every day for work. Hell, I used to be one of them. I won't dismiss or belittle the argument especially since they all hate the price at the gas pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I know too many that have to drive either too far, or spend too long in traffic every day for work. Hell, I used to be one of them. I won't dismiss or belittle the argument especially since they all hate the price at the gas pump.
    I won't dismiss the traffic argument, but if you're driving 100+ miles to work one way then perhaps there are other issues than just the charge capacity of a battery.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    I won't dismiss the traffic argument, but if you're driving 100+ miles to work one way then perhaps there are other issues than just the charge capacity of a battery.
    People are massively overblowing the range issues. Range is fine. The issue is with charging. That's a real issue. You might be driving to places and parking in places that simply aren't equipped to charge an EV, and charging still takes substantially longer than a pit stop at a gas station.

We're still a long way from being able to reliably charge an EV anywhere or in limited locations fast enough.

I'll belittle it in the same way that I belittle the way Los Angeles is pieced together. Doing this is a stupid, borderline life-ruining decision. There is pretty much no imaginable employment or housing situation that makes sitting in traffic for 3+ hours every day a better decision than moving to a place that isn't a complete hellhole and scrapping that lifestyle. I acknowledge that if someone decides to live in Santa Monica and work in Duerte, they're going to have a godawful commute, but this isn't actually something that they have to do.

Drive to work, plug in the car, drive home on a freshly charged battery. People will have to readjust the way they think about energy, but it's not a big deal in a future where potentially every parking space has a plug built into the ground.

Personally, I'm seriously giving the bycicle a thought these days. It's faster than a car (given morning traffic and me knowing the backroutes by bike), it's healthier and way cheaper. I can absolutely see me using the car for groceries and larger trips alone. If I'm not using the incredibly dense public transport network in Europe.
    Last edited by Slant; 2021-05-04 at 01:20 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    New study explains why nearly 20 percent of electric car owners return to gas
    Some EV owners are not satisfied.

Electric car owners are 18 percent likely to return to gas-powered cars, a new study shows.

Researchers at the University of California Davis say that more than 4,000 households who own or previously owned electric vehicles in California went back to gas and diesel cars, Electrek reported.

Co-authors Scott Hardman and Gil Tal detail owners’ reasons for switching back in the Nature Energy journal.

"Here, on the basis of results from five questionnaire surveys, we find that PEV discontinuance in California occurs at a rate of 20% for plug-in hybrid electric vehicle owners and 18% for battery electric vehicle owners. We show that discontinuance is related to dissatisfaction with the convenience of charging, having other vehicles in the household that are less efficient, not having level 2 (240-volt) charging at home, having fewer household vehicles and not being male."

As the researchers suggested, charging is the biggest hurdle for electric car owners as well as its best perk.
    That makes sense. It has been the biggest hurdle, and remains to be so. If we reaaally want to push electric, every gas station across the nation will need to have charging stations as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    When someone runs against Greene they really just need to make their campaign slogan "Vote for me...I'm not the crazy one."

- - - Updated - - -

Until I can get one that can go 300-400 miles on one charge that costs under 24k I'm not interested.
    I don't think that is a far off future. At least for the 300 miles for around 24k.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Drive to work, plug in the car, drive home on a freshly charged battery. People will have to readjust the way they think about energy, but it's not a big deal in a future where potentially every parking space has a plug built into the ground.
    Infrastructure... if we have a swell of charging stations at government offices, private parking lots will realize that at a minimal investment of a charging station, they can perpetually charge people for plugging in, while they are parked. They get gas station action, without the gas station overhead.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Infrastructure... if we have a swell of charging stations at government offices, private parking lots will realize that at a minimal investment of a charging station, they can perpetually charge people for plugging in, while they are parked. They get gas station action, without the gas station overhead.
    "Perpetually" = until the car is charged. There are some questions that I need answering before I fully sign up to the concept. If EV becomes more expensive than fossil fuel, this can't work for low/middle income families. Also, the energy consumption itself isn't going to change dramatically. We still need X amount of energy to move X tons from A to B. Are EV more or less efficient than combustion engines? Can the power grids handle the extra load? I heard California has power grid problems during the summer with all the a/c units jumping into action, what if the whole of california has their car hooked up to the grid as well?

These things need addressing, but we're not in a bad spot. This is a good starting point for us, it's decades too late, but I think the auto industry has reached the inertia necessary to make the switch now. It moves at glacial speed, but I think this move is already irreversible and a done deal.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cant we just line the highway with some tesla coils and charge EVs wirelessly with high frequency electricity?

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Cant we just line the highway with some tesla coils and charge EVs wirelessly with high frequency electricity?
    Don't give Musk bad ideas, he will freaking run with it!
    Formerly Howeller, lost my account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howel View Post
    Don't give Musk bad ideas, he will freaking run with it!
    We can power them with our solar freakin` roadways!

10+ Year Old Account
    "Perpetually" = until the car is charged. There are some questions that I need answering before I fully sign up to the concept. If EV becomes more expensive than fossil fuel, this can't work for low/middle income families. Also, the energy consumption itself isn't going to change dramatically. We still need X amount of energy to move X tons from A to B. Are EV more or less efficient than combustion engines? Can the power grids handle the extra load? I heard California has power grid problems during the summer with all the a/c units jumping into action, what if the whole of california has their car hooked up to the grid as well?

These things need addressing, but we're not in a bad spot. This is a good starting point for us, it's decades too late, but I think the auto industry has reached the inertia necessary to make the switch now. It moves at glacial speed, but I think this move is already irreversible and a done deal.
    I just want to note that this argument is basically just the sunk cost fallacy.

"Oh, we can't invest into electric vehicle infrastructure to make such vehicles convenient and easy to use, we've already invested so much into internal combustion engine vehicular support infrastructure."

There's a whopping amount of infrastructure that's gone into building gas stations and such that gets overlooked on the regular, in these discussions. And no, I don't think distinguishing between privately-funded infrastructure and publicly-funded is appropriate, here, particularly since we'd have to untangle government tax breaks and investments in the oil industry to even begin to start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    We can power them with our solar freakin` roadways!
    I look at the condition of the roads in NJ, and our drained Transportation Trust Fund, and I don't see this happening any time soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Perpetually" = until the car is charged.
    No, just charge extra to park in spots that have a charger. Everyone who parks in that spot will pay more, regardless if they use the energy. Do it at a sport stadium and people will park fuel guzzlers and pay the extra fee.

By perpetually, I meant as long as the charger is there, not a single car.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No, just charge extra to park in spots that have a charger. Everyone who parks in that spot will pay more, regardless if they use the energy. Do it at a sport stadium and people will park fuel guzzlers and pay the extra fee.

By perpetually, I meant as long as the charger is there, not a single car.
    Just in practical terms, it's also way easier. No complaints about whether their system registered your full charge, just charge people an extra $X/hour for charging. Or pre-pay for a certain duration of charging and then the charging automatically turns off; you could even manage that kind of thing curbside, in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I look at the condition of the roads in NJ, and our drained Transportation Trust Fund, and I don't see this happening any time soon.
    oh the horror of not raising/adjusting the tax after 20+ years, what could possibly go wrong.

I mean its not like that fund is basically bankrupt or anything.
    Its not like Social Security will be cut to 74% of expected benefits because they stopped increasing taxes and adjusting for cost in the early 90's.
    Or how now more money has to come from the general tax fund to pay for Medicare then the actual Medicare employment taxes cause....again....no adjustments since the 1990s

Forget solar you'll be lucky to have functional roads in a decade

Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Just reading this has my nearly pitching a frothy mouthed fit. They said that we had to pay more for gas to keep the roads repaired and maintained...and they're not getting the job done. Fuckers are in a conspiracy with auto repair shops!!! *shakes fist...and a shotgun*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    oh the horror of not raising/adjusting the tax after 20+ years, what could possibly go wrong.

I mean its not like that fund is basically bankrupt or anything.
    Its not like Social Security will be cut to 74% of expected benefits because they stopped increasing taxes and adjusting for cost in the early 90's.
    Or how now more money has to come from the general tax fund to pay for Medicare then the actual Medicare employment taxes cause....again....no adjustments since the 1990s

Forget solar you'll be lucky to have functional roads in a decade

You ain't exactly wrong.

Just reading this has my nearly pitching a frothy mouthed fit. They said that we had to pay more for gas to keep the roads repaired and maintained...and they're not getting the job done. Fuckers are in a conspiracy with auto repair shops!!! *shakes fist...and a shotgun*
    i avoid potholes in NJ by just driving on the sidewalks.

people don't even get mad cause they are like "whelp its NJ, it's expected"
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I just want to note that this argument is basically just the sunk cost fallacy.

"Oh, we can't invest into electric vehicle infrastructure to make such vehicles convenient and easy to use, we've already invested so much into internal combustion engine vehicular support infrastructure."
    I don't read Slant's post as a sunk cost fallacy at all, just noting that the infrastructure isn't there yet to make "switching is easy and everyone can do it" a realistic view right now. He even notes that it progress is being made and it inevitably will be.