View Poll Results: do you want Meta back for Demo?

Voters
18. This poll is closed
  • yes

11 61.11%
  • no

7 38.89%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account

Bring Metamorphosis: Warlock back!

Why cant we have 2 classes wich a Metamorphosis specc if we have 2 holy specs and 2 resto specs?.

It really bugs me, i really loved the playstyle of Metamorphosis and the tankiness of it. even playing against them. plus thei design was very cool and less Elfie than the DH version.

Im fine with current demo but metamorphosis demo was just plain better, wish they bring it back and just call it eredar or dreadlord form so its diff from dh.

yeah, WoD demo was awesome, i even raided Highmaul with it, cuz it's a fun dps rotation
    it was awesome to suddenly go from 10th place to 1st in recount and than slowly go down, then go to top again, when Meta is ready again
    there was an impact
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

Hypothetical question. Would you be okay with them bringing the playstyle of metamorphosis back without the visuals? For example, you fill the bar and instead of casting metamorphosis, you cast an ability with a different name, which gives all of the benefits metamorphosis would have given but visually just makes your character glow really fancy or something.

Personally I don't think they would give meta back in general if only because when they took it from warlocks to give the visuals to demon hunters they also gave the functionality of the mechanic to shadow priests, meaning if they gave it back it could lead to a situation where demonology doesn't feel like it's own entity and instead feels like they just mashed together demon hunter visuals with shadow priest gameplay and called it a spec.

Metamorphosis on a warlock was always stupid. It makes sense on DH but warlocks are meant to control demons and their elements, not become them. It's as if being a lion trainer would grant you bestial vigor for some reason.

Bring back the mechanics if people like them, but change the concept then.

I like the current Demonology way more than the old.
    The new one fullfills the fantasy of controlling demons. The old one of becoming one... which is in its essence a DH.

Quote Originally Posted by iosdeveloper View Post
    yeah, WoD demo was awesome, i even raided Highmaul with it, cuz it's a fun dps rotation
    it was awesome to suddenly go from 10th place to 1st in recount and than slowly go down, then go to top again, when Meta is ready again
    there was an impact
    Indeed .. that was one awesome iteration of Demonology.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Demonology Warlocks should have some ability that infuses you with Fel energies. IIRC, Warlocks that practice Fel magics for an extended period of time do in fact undergo a genetic mutation such as sprouting horns, scales, and spikes. Something akin to the Dark Apotheosis should probably make a comeback as a core mechanic to the spec imo. Change it up somehow so it's not just a "enter this stance to tank" ability and perhaps update the visuals to that ability as well.
    Personality: INTJ

“Greatness, at any cost.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Metamorphosis for Warlocks was a mistake from the beginning.

10+ Year Old Account
    A variation of it for Demo Locks should be brought back.

Like it or not, being infused with Fel Energy is one trait Warlocks and Demon Hunters have always and will always share.

A variation of this could be a perma Control Demon mechanic where the Warlock MCs a Demon until they release it or the Demon dies. They have full use of that demon's abilities, replacing their active Demon.

On a related note. This is my personal opinion but at this point, I do think it's time for Demo Locks to have the ability to have 2 active demons at once. It would be make the spec more enticing and add another layer of strategy managing two instead of one. Just my 2-cents.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    A variation of it for Demo Locks should be brought back.

Like it or not, being infused with Fel Energy is one trait Warlocks and Demon Hunters have always and will always share.

A variation of this could be a perma Control Demon mechanic where the Warlock MCs a Demon until they release it or the Demon dies. They have full use of that demon's abilities, replacing their active Demon.

On a related note. This is my personal opinion but at this point, I do think it's time for Demo Locks to have the ability to have 2 active demons at once. It would be make the spec more enticing and add another layer of strategy managing two instead of one. Just my 2-cents.
    agree totally
    this is still the key issue for me they messed with certain specs/classes for no reason.
    its like anything that stood out too much for one class had to be removed.

The main beasts to consider here are comprehension, and homogenization.

For Comprehension:
    If two abilities have the same name but do wildly different things, it leads to confusion and people don't like to lose because of misunderstandings. So that can lead to frustration and miscommunication and all sorts of bad play experiences where people get salty because abilites don't function the way one might expect them to.

Ultimately in the past this has led to homogenization, or abilities working largely the same -- like hard CC or interrupts.

So then there's also homogenization to consider.
    In the past when abilities to these magnitudes in more broad categories across similar classes started operating the same way (whether it be target cap similarities, damage of similarly functioning attacks, CDs, or all of these at once) it can lead to a lot of classes and specs feeling the same. People decry this as leading to a lack of variety between classes, to the point where if someone doesn't enjoy one they feel like they've tried it all and don't like anything. This problem hasn't been in public eye since basically Wrath, where especially Legion forward specs have tried to retain a lot of their own identity and especially since the Legion rework classes have largely been silent about feeling the same since core fantasy defining of their specs have retooled a lot of their own gameplay to be more unique and specific to what they would expect out of the feel of their classes or specs.

While right now having Meta on two classes may not seem like a bad idea, and hell just this alone would probably be harmless. But, it does set a weird precedent where suddenly abilities like Death Coil - do we bring this back to Warlocks too, and if so, is it going to function similarly to the DK's? And if it does, does this further dilute classes down to a place where they start to feel similar? Maybe across these examples, no. But then if the trend continues across more and more examples and classes it may start to get ridiculous until another complete Legion-style overhaul is once again necessary to undo all the damage that is done by homogenization. It starts to become a problem eventually, when not immediately.

I'd say yes things like Meta and Coil are probably fine. A couple outliers, sure whatever. It's when the floodgates open to more and more classes sharing more homogenization is when it starts to be a problem again. History just needs to be kept in mind, is all. How much is too much is hard to say -- but no doubt the community will complain when too much is enough... it'll just be a shame when a ton of work has to be done to re-correct what was basically fine before, anyway, is all.

That'd be fun, but we cannot have fun can we? No no! No fun allowed!
    Denied.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    Metamorphosis on a warlock was always stupid. It makes sense on DH but warlocks are meant to control demons and their elements, not become them. It's as if being a lion trainer would grant you bestial vigor for some reason.

Nonsense.

Fel corrupts the user. And Warlock Metamorphosis is a well established fact in the lore, simply look up Kanrethad Ebonlocke and the entire green fire questline instead of spouting ignorant nonsense on the Warlock forum.

It made sense and still does.

They should have simply changed the demon form visually, it was basically an Illidan knock-off.

That said I do like the current Demo and would settle for simply getting Gul'dan like red glowing eyes for Warlocks, class specific customization is long overdue. There's no reason why only Dks and Dhs should have it.
    Last edited by enigma77; 2021-04-30 at 08:59 AM.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaelyn View Post
    Hypothetical question. Would you be okay with them bringing the playstyle of metamorphosis back without the visuals? For example, you fill the bar and instead of casting metamorphosis, you cast an ability with a different name, which gives all of the benefits metamorphosis would have given but visually just makes your character glow really fancy or something.

Personally I don't think they would give meta back in general if only because when they took it from warlocks to give the visuals to demon hunters they also gave the functionality of the mechanic to shadow priests, meaning if they gave it back it could lead to a situation where demonology doesn't feel like it's own entity and instead feels like they just mashed together demon hunter visuals with shadow priest gameplay and called it a spec.
    yes but it needs to add demon like features, green fire if not available, the armor an benefits from Meta:lock this will imply a "stance swap" form a period of time where you can go ham and spam your old meta abilities, ofc providing passives that synergizes with current spec. Could be a replacement for Summon tyrant, could have a great synergy with the pvp talent "pleasure through pain" or just added value by being able to instant cast (dont remember the meta:lockl spells but i do remember they were instant and added mobility. Guldan style meta maybe?

- - - Updated - - -

i think their philosophy has became "give them just a little drip of water to hype them up and we profit from it then 10 patches later will add another drip of water"

15+ Year Old Account
    Nah. I'd rather they not bring back Metamorphosis. Demonology as it is now, feels 'better' and more appropriate for the class fantasy rather than bringing back some 'niche' thing that was a relatively toxic playstyle.

Like mentioned above, when your burst window was so drastic you went from 10th to 1st, then back down again? That's not really impactful, it's annoying. The faster a fight goes down, the less useful Meta-demo was. I'd rather have actual damage than some flashy gimmick.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

I think the time for that playstyle has passed. Though it'd be neat to have some sort of spriest resource bar instead of imps.

I remember initially rolling my warlock because I thought meta looked so cool. Hated that they took it away and gave it to DH.

I wasn't a big fan of the MoP/WoD version of it, though. Having it as a normal CD could be cool.

High Overlord
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post

you need yo read more lore my dude. cheers!

"I like Demonology better now!" Yeah it's great spamming Fel Sinister Strike to build up your Fel Combo Poi- Soul Shards to cast Fel Ruptur- sorry, "Hand of Gul'dan."