1. #1

    What, exactly, is this forums definition of bannable "trolling"?

    I keep getting infractions for "trolling" but either the mods here have no idea what that word means, or i'm missing something.

    My latest infraction, where I responded to someone saying the reason I don't like m+ is because i'm not good enough to do it, by simply saying "keep trying" was apparently considered "trolling". Huh?

    (If this isn't the right place for this, please point me to the right place).

  2. #2
    Immortal jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    7,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    I keep getting infractions for "trolling" but either the mods here have no idea what that word means, or i'm missing something.

    My latest infraction, where I responded to someone saying the reason I don't like m+ is because i'm not good enough to do it, by simply saying "keep trying" was apparently considered "trolling". Huh?

    (If this isn't the right place for this, please point me to the right place).
    It's not the right place, you have to talk to mods directly. Also, anything that's shitposting or no-effort posting is trolling.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

  3. #3
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    1,240
    I dont know either and I also get infractions for trolling. You cant say anything critical without being infratcted.

  4. #4
    I mean, come on, a 10 second look proves you're making that all up.

    You called someone a "weak troll", which itself is an infraction worth offense. You then said "keep trying" as in keep trying to troll.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    It's not the right place, you have to talk to mods directly. Also, anything that's shitposting or no-effort posting is trolling.
    Thanks for the answer, seems a bit strange to make "trolling" into such an umbrella term.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I mean, come on, a 10 second look proves you're making that all up.

    You called someone a "weak troll", which itself is an infraction worth offense. You then said "keep trying" as in keep trying to troll.
    I called them a weak troll because.....they tried to troll me weakly, lol.

    I'm not allowed to respond to these people in any way without getting an infraction? This forum is worse than I already thought if this is true.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Thanks for the answer, seems a bit strange to make "trolling" into such an umbrella term.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I called them a weak troll because.....they tried to troll me weakly, lol.

    I'm not allowed to respond to these people in any way without getting an infraction?
    You're not allowed to call anyone a troll on MMO-Champ, basically.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    You're not allowed to call anyone a troll on MMO-Champ, basically.
    That's super weird.

  8. #8
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    13,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    That's super weird.
    Because calling someone a troll doesn't add to the discussion.
    Report them as a troll and move on

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Because calling someone a troll doesn't add to the discussion.
    Report them as a troll and move on
    Not being able to respond to idiots and assholes in any way at all, while they don't get infracted but you do if you respond, makes for a pretty piss poor environment.

  10. #10
    Merely a Setback breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    25,836
    you've been here for over 10 years and you still don't know about not calling other posters trolls?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Not being able to respond to idiots and assholes in any way at all, while they don't get infracted but you do if you respond, makes for a pretty piss poor environment.
    you could always i dunno IGNORE THEM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    You're not allowed to call anyone a troll on MMO-Champ, basically.
    Yet looking at the Politics section people can call others whatever repetitively in an attempt to be insulting yet never receive infractions. Cesspit of sub forum.

    This forum suffers from selective mods.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you've been here for over 10 years and you still don't know about not calling other posters trolls?

    - - - Updated - - -



    you could always i dunno IGNORE THEM.
    As you can see by my post count, i'm not exactly very active here, and no I don't know the nuances of every rule. Which is why I asked.

    Ignoring assholes means they win.

  13. #13
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    30,219
    Speaking now as a forum poster (ignore the mod tag): It never helps to get personal with someone. It never helps to extend arguments without adding something of value to the discussion. Be honest about your opinions when you have something to say about something (not someone).

    On the contrary to your last post: Ignoring assholes is a win as you're not giving them the attention they are likely looking for.

    All of this is just my opinion and not addressing the fact that asking 100 people on the internet what trolling is and you'll get 100 different definitions. The land of pointless arguments is where a lot of trolls live though.

    Last: Bans are generally based on active infraction points. Get enough infractions and suspension of posting privileges sets in. The more active points, the longer the suspension. That system is explained in the forum rules.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-04-23 at 09:40 PM.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  14. #14
    The way things are enforced on this site are mystifying. I've almost never been infracted but the times I have it's been for some of the weirdest offhanded and not particularly offensive stuff, and then other days I go off and don't get anything for it.
    Stranger yet, I see people spew outright vitriol and hatred in places like the politics and sometimes just in the general subforum and receive absolutely nothing.

    I get the feeling it depends strongly on which mod is awake on any given day. While I've read the rules, they seem randomly either overenforced or not enforced enough depending on the mood.
    If you reply to me with a full essay I'm probably not going to bother reading it, sorry.

  15. #15
    It's quite simple really. "Keep trying" provides really nothing to the question you replied to and is open ended for interpretation. Don't leave it up to the keyboard warriors to say you was trolling. Say something like 'keep trying, none of us was good at the start but I really liked the content and worked hard at becoming good at it so I no longer felt that way'.

    Nah. You left an open-ended comment that could be deemed as trolling. Don't leave it up for interpretation next time. Seriously. Say what you mean and why you say what you say. If not you're providing nothing to the person making said statements.

    You may want to argue this point, but if you think about it, you know you could've worded it better. Accepting that will get you closer to next time not ending in a 'troll' strike.

    To think, I could've cut all the explaining I have and just reply with 'try harder' while not conveying why I want you to try harder.

    Think about it. Ok.

  16. #16
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    21,475
    There is no black and white definition of trolling, but is general understood as something intending to cause negative reactions. It can be disingenuous posts that are trying to cause drama or flamewars just for entertainment, but it can also be a sincerely held opinion that is expressed in a way that is designed to provoke someone. If something is phrased in a way that seems to be deliberately trying to irritate someone or bait them to react, that can justifiably be viewed as trolling, especially if the same point could have been made in a more benign manner.

    Post constructively and with civility and one shouldn't find themselves receiving infractions for trolling or otherwise.

    Moderation isn't to be discussed in public here, so I'm locking this. Next time, PM the infracting mod if you need clarification on an infraction.

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaArleeVenara

    | youtube | twitch | twitter |


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •