10+ Year Old Account

Question confused about covid check.

not sure where this thread goes.
    i am very confused about if i need to file or not. i've read many articles and they all say different things some say i don't have to some say i do. the irs official site says possibly but that i should anyways. my parents said i don't have to because my sister didn't have to. (fyi i make under 13k last year with no dependents.) is a filing required for the stimulus checks? (will be back later have work.)

Mod Edit: This is closed, it'd be better to ask a reliable source.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-04-27 at 12:43 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Initially thought thread was about checking if you got covid... :V

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    not sure where this thread goes.
    i am very confused about if i need to file or not. i've read many articles and they all say different things some say i don't have to some say i do. the irs official site says possibly but that i should anyways. my parents said i don't have to because my sister didn't have to. (fyi i make under 13k last year with no dependents.) is a filing required for the stimulus checks? (will be back later have work.)
    are you asking do you have to file to GET a check?

Which check 1,2,3rd?

if you didn't get the first two and qualify, then you should file as you will get that money back from your tax return even if you paid no taxes. its too late to get an actual check.

Didn't Get the First and Second Payments? Claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment
    If you didn't get a first and second Economic Impact Payment or got less than the full amount, you may be eligible to claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit and must file a 2020 tax return, even if you aren't required to file.

the 3rd is dependent on if you filed taxes in 2018-2020 (or on social security you don't need to file).

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-...sked-questions

I'm not required to file a tax return. Can I still use Get My Payment to check my payment status? (updated April 21, 2021)

Eligible federal benefit recipients who do not usually file a tax return will be able to use Get My Payment to check their payment status for their own payment when it’s been issued. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

The IRS is working with Federal agencies to get updated information for recipients to ensure we are sending automatic payments to as many people as possible. More information about when these payments will be made is provided in the news release issued on March 30, 2021 and the news release dated April 14, 2021.

If you are eligible for the Third Economic Impact Payment and have not filed a 2020 return, you still have time to file so you can provide us with the information needed to issue a payment to you, or a qualifying spouse and any qualifying dependents you may have. See how to File Your Federal Taxes Online for Free.

It doesn't hurt you to file taxes even when you don't need too because of low income. I specifically did for my daughter who turned 18 and only make 6k last year so she would get her payment and set her up if there is a 4th payment. Of course then they changed the dependent age limit and it went to her parents (us) instead.. nom nom nom
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    are you asking do you have to file to GET a check?

Which check 1,2,3rd?

if you didn't get the first two and qualify, then you should file as you will get that money back from your tax return even if you paid no taxes. its too late to get an actual check.

Didn't Get the First and Second Payments? Claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit.

If you didn't get a first and second Economic Impact Payment or got less than the full amount, you may be eligible to claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit and must file a 2020 tax return, even if you aren't required to file.

the 3rd is dependent on if you filed taxes in 2018-2020 (or on social security you don't need to file).

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-...sked-questions

I'm not required to file a tax return. Can I still use Get My Payment to check my payment status? (updated April 21, 2021)

Eligible federal benefit recipients who do not usually file a tax return will be able to use Get My Payment to check their payment status for their own payment when it’s been issued. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

The IRS is working with Federal agencies to get updated information for recipients to ensure we are sending automatic payments to as many people as possible. More information about when these payments will be made is provided in the news release issued on March 30, 2021 and the news release dated April 14, 2021.

If you are eligible for the Third Economic Impact Payment and have not filed a 2020 return, you still have time to file so you can provide us with the information needed to issue a payment to you, or a qualifying spouse and any qualifying dependents you may have. See how to File Your Federal Taxes Online for Free.

It doesn't hurt you to file taxes even when you don't need too because of low income. I specifically did for my daughter who turned 18 and only make 6k last year so she would get her payment and set her up if there is a 4th payment. Of course then they changed the dependent age limit and it went to her parents (us) instead.. nom nom nom
    i am asking about the third check sorry i forgot to clarify. i did get the first two checks and i appear to qualify. i do not file taxes because i have never made more than the amount required to file. also one of the articles i read said you only need to file if your not already part of a federal program for which the irs can determine your dependents. since i'm on medicaid and they require to know how many dependents i have would that mean i don't need to file?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2021-04-24 at 10:04 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i am asking about the third check sorry i forgot to clarify. i did get the first two checks and i appear to qualify. i do not file taxes because i have never made more than the amount required to file. also one of the articles i read said you only need to file if your not already part of a federal program for which the irs can determine your dependents. since i'm on medicaid and they require to know how many dependents i have would that mean i don't need to file?
    did you try the payment check on the irs web site?

If your check is not there i would file. Its the only way to make sure you get the 3rd check. They have no other way at this point of doing it with a filing tool like last time.

Again there is no harm in filing your taxes when you are not required to do so. Its free too.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-04-27 at 12:42 PM.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!