Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    There are a couple of reasons that Abbot's hands may be tied for the time being.

Firstly, Texas police do not have jurisdiction in DC thanks to consistently refusing more comprehensive law enforcement sharing agreements with the Fed, so as long as the reps remain there they can't be forced back without causing an incident with the federal government.

Secondly, the fact Republicans cut state lawmaker salaries to practically nothing means most of them have other jobs (which, ironically enough, they no longer have to be in-state to do thanks to COVID making remote work the default) to support them during their exile.

Basically, "low tax, low service, muh independence" has bitten the Texas GOP in the ass. And less than a year after snowmageddon, to boot.
    Jesus...$38K for a year of regular sessions and $45K for a two-year term in the House? I'm all for making sure lawmakers aren't paid extravagantly (especially until we can crack down on benefits and gifts they receive from lobbyists), but like...governing should be a full time job that pays a full-time wage if you want it done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Jesus...$38K for a year of regular sessions and $45K for a two-year term in the House? I'm all for making sure lawmakers aren't paid extravagantly (especially until we can crack down on benefits and gifts they receive from lobbyists), but like...governing should be a full time job that pays a full-time wage if you want it done right.
    The Wal-Mart Philosophy applied to government.

It doesn't work well, it's nasty, it was probably built on the blood, sweat, and tears of minorities, but hey - at least it's cheap!
    Every heartwarming human interest story in America is like "he raised $20,000 to keep 200 orphans from being crushed in the orphan-crushing machine" and then never asks why an orphan-crushing machine exists or why you'd need to pay to prevent it from being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    so ? Teacher is about teaching, not education.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    But if what cyber ninja has done comes under any actual legal scrutiny… it’ll collapse immediately.
    I do hope that's the case. As we've seen recently with Powell, people in actual positions that matter are getting tired of baseless accusations that gum up the words, just to troll the libs American people's right to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    I am totally waiting for Ted Cruz to complain about Democrats fleeing Texas.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...who-fled-texas

Welp, there you go. Because of course he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluespiderman57 View Post
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...who-fled-texas

Welp, there you go. Because of course he did.
    "We don't run in Texas! Unless there's some cold weather, likely power loss, teenage daughters to use an excuse, and a dog to leave behind at home. Then we run. BUT ONLY THEN!" - Ted Cruz, 2021

"We don't run in Texas! Unless there's some cold weather, likely power loss, teenage daughters to use an excuse, and a dog to leave behind at home. Then we run. BUT ONLY THEN!" - Ted Cruz, 2021
    "And then, the very moment we get in trouble, we RUN BACK HOME. TO TEXAS! Where we were running to and from the entire time!"

What precisely leads you believe that those last 6 words apply to Texas, or indeed, any red state?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...nting-machines

And Maricopa approved nearly $3M for new vote-counting machines since nobody knows what the hell Cyber Ninja's have been up to since they received the machines.

Really, this should come out of the state Republican Senators budgets/pay since they are the ones who authorized this audit and are ostensibly "overseeing" it, but of course it won't.

Man it would be nice if Republicans ever acted as fiscally conservative as they pretend to be.

And Maricopa approved nearly $3M for new vote-counting machines since nobody knows what the hell Cyber Ninja's have been up to since they received the machines.

Really, this should come out of the state Republican Senators budgets/pay since they are the ones who authorized this audit and are ostensibly "overseeing" it, but of course it won't.

Man it would be nice if Republicans ever acted as fiscally conservative as they pretend to be.
    One would think that leasing a few pairs of MkI eyeballs for the day would be cheaper.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    One would think that leasing a few pairs of MkI eyeballs for the day would be cheaper.
    I mean... we're having a crisis in this country where people don't trust machines to count ballots, and you think that the situation would be better if we relied on humans instead?

On top of that I'm sure these machines get used by the county for all elections (not just the general election every 4 years), which can be several times a year. The machines would normally be good for a long time, but, well...

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Really, this should come out of the state Republican Senators budgets/pay
    No, no, we're not getting into that. I think the money should come from Cyber Ninjas. They're the ones fucking it up. The AZ GOP might be chasing shadows, but at least they're not directly damaging things and causing fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I mean... we're having a crisis in this country where people don't trust machines to count ballots, and you think that the situation would be better if we relied on humans instead?
    It's easier to compromise machines than thousands of people.

The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar

I may be utterly misremembering this, but didn't the AZ democrats have a way to basically oppose or contest this whole "recount" happening but it would have cost the taxpayers somewhere in the realm of 1M to fight it, so they opted not to?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    It's easier to compromise machines than thousands of people.
    Not when the people who don't trust the machines simultaneously believe in global conspiracies involving what would likely be tens of thousands of people, if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I may be utterly misremembering this, but didn't the AZ democrats have a way to basically oppose or contest this whole "recount" happening but it would have cost the taxpayers somewhere in the realm of 1M to fight it, so they opted not to?
    From May:

The agreement orders Arizona Senate Republicans and Cyber Ninjas, which is run by a supporter of Trump, to allow independent elections experts to observe the process, take aggressive measures to secure personal voter information, turn over details about audit policies and procedures and make those documents public. If there is a breach of the agreement, Secretary of State Katie Hobbs, a Democrat, can take the company and the Senate GOP to court for breach of contract.
    We've covered in this thread that, no, they're not doing this -- especially the bolded.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the House has launched an investigation. Mostly, I think this is an excuse to
    (a) have Cyber Ninjas dragged on camera and grilled under oath -- see above bolded, they could be in real trouble here if they admit they're not fulfilling their contract or if they lie and claim they are
    (b) allow House GOP members to go on camera and say "I believe Cyber Ninjas is doing a good job" for when the audit is inevitably revealed to be filled with criminal fraud and those videos get used against them

"Surely the GOP members won't fall into that trap. I mean, you saw it coming and you're not even a pro."

I hope they do. I'd like to see their turn asking questions to become "Cyber Ninjas, do you love America?" and other noncommittal, useless stuff, refusing to say "I believe Cyber Ninjas is doing a good job" when handed the option -- because it's not true.

The idiotic GOP Trumpers whining about the election yet again with Conspiracies and BS.
    Americans are the Chinese of the west. The main reason people tolerate them is because they are too big to ignore.

"Admit nothing, deny everything, launch counterattack." - Roger Stone (Trump's Friend, Ally, and Campaign Advisor)

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    The idiotic GOP Trumpers whining about the election yet again with Conspiracies and BS.
    I thought the Senate Republican lady said they found tens of thousands of fake votes? What happened to those, I thought Cyber Ninjas was totes gonna dish the goods! Do they need to wait for the information to come back from the log cabin in the Montana woods?

I thought the Senate Republican lady said they found tens of thousands of fake votes? What happened to those, I thought Cyber Ninjas was totes gonna dish the goods! Do they need to wait for the information to come back from the log cabin in the Montana woods?
    More importantly, weren't we told that this process was going to only take, like, two weeks... back in April?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    More importantly, weren't we told that this process was going to only take, like, two weeks... back in April?
    Yes. Sorry @Edge- I didn't see what you were talking about.

Simply put, by now Cyber Ninjas must know they have no evidence of fraud and have three choices, all bad.
    1) They come forward and say this honestly, and lose all their funding from the rabid fanbase.
    2) They lie and say they have fraud, get called in by the House and get arrested.
    3) They commit fraud to create fraud, and that's when the felonies roll in.

I offer no sympathy. They chose this.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Yes. Sorry @Edge- I didn't see what you were talking about.

Simply put, by now Cyber Ninjas must know they have no evidence of fraud and have three choices, all bad.
    1) They come forward and say this honestly, and lose all their funding from the rabid fanbase.
    2) They lie and say they have fraud, get called in by the House and get arrested.
    3) They commit fraud to create fraud, and that's when the felonies roll in.

I offer no sympathy. They chose this.
    Huh 2021 really is the year of fuck around and find out.
    Every heartwarming human interest story in America is like "he raised $20,000 to keep 200 orphans from being crushed in the orphan-crushing machine" and then never asks why an orphan-crushing machine exists or why you'd need to pay to prevent it from being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    so ? Teacher is about teaching, not education.