Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Do Blizzard really have a Horde bias or is it just player's imagination and assumptio

So I've been Alliance all my time on WoW and even that kinda just happened by chance. It was cause I couldn't afford the WoW Battlechest back in the day and you had to have TBC to play as the Blood Elves. So I had to settle for the Night Elves cause I really wanted to play as an Elf. However, I've only really seen the game from The Alliance point of view. That was until the allied races and I created a Horde Demon Hunter to level up and unlock the allied races.

Now a lot of folks often spoke about them preferring the Horde story lines but BFA was just so much better on the Alliance. Drustvar was an amazing questing experience. I loved the zone and Boralus was a beautiful city compared to the Pyramid thing the Horde got. I did some of the old zones like Dragonblight on the Horde and The Alliance was just so much better. The Wrathgate story line for example on the Alliance is definitely a lot better than the Horde side.

Am just wondering what parts or story lines or quests were better on the Horde compared to the Alliance? And does Blizzard really have a Horde bias?

10+ Year Old Account
    In dalaran Horde have 2 mailboxes by their steps to the alliance single mailbox. It's the only physical bias I've seen... besides dumb AV bridge.
    My youtube channels: Sath Reacts: TV & Movie Reactions, and Sath Animations: Stop motion/claymation animations

Grass is always greener on de other side.

7+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what you consider bias

I play way more Horde than Alliance. And the result of Blizzard's "Horde Bias" completely destroyed the faction

The main city? Sieged twice
    Warchief? Changes every two years. Now they can't even get one
    Racial leaders? Neutered or killed off constantly
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

The 3 base BG maps are now all horde biased. AV has been so modified and is so biased now, It's not even funny. They literally made a new road for horde players not to get lost. WSG downhill+dark area vs uphill and bright area. Trifecta of high ground and easy acess in AB with farm/BS flags being close and LM filling the high ground for easy high ground defense. You can lol see alliance coming to BS all the way from Stables. Surprise attacks are impossible.

They listened to horde requests for allied race with the vulpera when it was clear that the plan was the nazjatar goblins and alliance requests got ignored.

Horde racials were OP for many years resulting in the current end-game population unbalance. Alliance ones not allowed to be that OP.

So, is there a bias? Yes.
    Is it the end of the world? No. But, it can be annoying at times.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-04-28 at 11:52 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    There is no bias one way or another.

Pointless to discuss since people on each side of the fence will go ham at the other side.

It doesn't matter what they are basing it on : story reasons, racials, game balance, amount of mailboxes, number of hair choices, character arcs, bla bla.

Why even bother, i'd say. It just gotten silly over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post

I play way more Horde than Alliance. And the result of Blizzard's "Horde Bias" completely destroyed the faction

Actually horde city sieged 5 times. Undercity × 2 and orgrimmar x 2 and Dazaralor.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Actually horde city sieged 5 times. Undercity × 2 and orgrimmar x 2 and Dazaralor.
    I just said main city. I didn't even mention the others. As you'd have to include Thunder Bluff when it was seized by Magatha
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpules View Post
    In dalaran Horde have 2 mailboxes by their steps to the alliance single mailbox. It's the only physical bias I've seen... besides dumb AV bridge.
    In Classic when you do the fishing quests the quests are close to horde FP. Horde bias. Racials have been traditionally horde bias. Horde bias confirmed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    There is no bias one way or another.
    Spoken like a true horde sympathiser. 2 mail boxes in dalaran disagrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

In the old days story-wise it might have sometimes felt like it, because we always got thrall shoved in our faces. These days not so much, as it's Anduin now. It kinda depends on the part of the game as well, as mentioned already with the laughable inequality of the alterac bridge that has persisted for 15+ years now. On the other hand some of the racials were left unchecked in horde's favor for so long a couple of years ago that they lead to the endgame situation we have today. Which is especially funny when you write the story in a way that pictures the alliance as the stronger faction, even though it's not represented ingame for many. Then we have the whole raiding OG twice by corrupting 2 warchiefs and forcing the horde player to be accessory to genocide - despite the noble savage bullshit that Blizzard tries to establish with the Horde time and time again.

At the end of the day it's mostly balanced I think - at lest if we look at the overall picture - but depending on your preferences and when you formed your opinion I could see it not being the case for you.

Also The Plank in Boralus was the ultimate love letter to Alliance, Horde has nothing on that :P.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NordWitcher View Post
    Am just wondering what parts or story lines or quests were better on the Horde compared to the Alliance? And does Blizzard really have a Horde bias?
    Well, Metzen has shown a clear Thrall boner in the past. But seeing how fucked up was Horde leadership in past expansions, and the fact that we turned their capital into a loot dispensing machine, I can't really say that they get any preferential treatment. I saw so many players angry that Horde keeps breeding raid bosses, that orcs keep getting turned into villains etc.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Well, Metzen has shown a clear Thrall boner in the past. But seeing how fucked up was Horde leadership in past expansions, and the fact that we turned their capital into a loot dispensing machine, I can't really say that they get any preferential treatment. I saw so many players angry that Horde keeps breeding raid bosses, that orcs keep getting turned into villains etc.
    On top of that, the badass Thrall of yore has been turned into a pathetic shill for Alliance figureheads.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Alliance robocat and twilight highlands intro are just a few examples

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post

Took how long for Stormwind to get fixed after Cata?
    So much better than light boy, who forgives EVERYONE...even genocidal maniacs (Oh and by my count, we lost 2 kings...so makes us even on that part)
    Every leader from the Alliance except Tyrande but including Moira saying the Alliance should forgive the Horde

Horde has great racials and better selection of mounts...so yeah Horde gets the better deal
    Last edited by Kithelle; 2021-04-28 at 05:32 AM.

In terms of gameplay? Yes, and it's not even close. Horde racials persistently outperformed Alliance racials for years, and this has a cascade effect of removing faction choice for all the players who are truly min-maxing their output. Because all of the talent grouped up on one faction over the years, an entire community exists on Horde for content clearing that simply doesn't for Alliance. It's not just that there are more people at the top to select from to clear content with, there are more people across the whole breadth of the skill pyramid. Worse, making Alliance racials better doesn't undo that damage: bringing them up to par with Horde racials (as has largely occurred) doesn't mean the Alliance suddenly has communities for raiding and pvp of equal robustness or size to their Horde counterparts, all it means is that the Alliance could now at least theoretically build those communities. The end result of this are things like Hall of Fame filling up quickly for Horde, but sometimes - and increasingly frequently - not filling up at all for Alliance.

In terms of lore? Yes and no. The Horde are persistently displayed as what I'd call "strategic losers, tactical winners". They very clearly lose the final battles of wars they fight, but they win strings of victories in between those defeats. If a lore newbie hadn't been told Orgrimmar had been besieged (twice, technically) in the last five years canonically, they'd never know it. It must be as frustrating to a Horde player to see the Horde bang together all those wins and then get hit with the big L, just like it must be frustrating for an Alliance player to watch the Horde fall apart (again) and lose their Warchief (again), knowing that the third time isn't gonna be the charm either.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    In Classic when you do the fishing quests the quests are close to horde FP. Horde bias. Racials have been traditionally horde bias. Horde bias confirmed.
    DPS and utility wise Alliance has the better racials, just so you know
    or why do you think almost all classes in mdi were alliance

10+ Year Old Account
    There are people who write on forums that frequently have active imaginations. People like to call out what they imagine is bias at every little thing. The fact is it goes back and forth. For everything that gets labeled as 'horde bias' there will always be something else that looks better for the Alliance. It's just how things work.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by NordWitcher View Post
    So I've been Alliance all my time on WoW and even that kinda just happened by chance. It was cause I couldn't afford the WoW Battlechest back in the day and you had to have TBC to play as the Blood Elves. So I had to settle for the Night Elves cause I really wanted to play as an Elf. However, I've only really seen the game from The Alliance point of view. That was until the allied races and I created a Horde Demon Hunter to level up and unlock the allied races.

Now a lot of folks often spoke about them preferring the Horde story lines but BFA was just so much better on the Alliance. Drustvar was an amazing questing experience. I loved the zone and Boralus was a beautiful city compared to the Pyramid thing the Horde got. I did some of the old zones like Dragonblight on the Horde and The Alliance was just so much better. The Wrathgate story line for example on the Alliance is definitely a lot better than the Horde side.

I think the leveling experience in wow is always good on both sides. I also play both sides.

But the general story development? Alliance always takes a backseat to horde here and if an alliance character get the spotlight they are like magni for both parties.

Horde has the interesting characters. While alliance has Jaina and anduin while the other races are... just there... even Tyrande barely shows up after teldrassil.

But i think it is a general problem with wow, that the story is to short and barebones most of the times

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Took how long for Stormwind to get fixed after Cata?
    So much better than light boy, who forgives EVERYONE...even genocidal maniacs (Oh and by my count, we lost 2 kings...so makes us even on that part)
    Every leader from the Alliance except Tyrande but including Moira saying the Alliance should forgive the Horde

Horde has great racials and better selection of mounts...so yeah Horde gets the better deal
    The first part is objectively and demonstrably false, the second is completely subjective. Lol.