Poll: Is Anduin evil now?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    What's the difference between evil and bad?
    Littering is bad. White supremacy is evil.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    lol, in the context of the thread. But it was just a poorly worded question by the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    This seems like a bad example, littering is also evil. I think a better example would be being an alcoholic is bad, but not inherently evil.

He's being controlled. How is this not obvious?
    Turalyon will probably remain in charge until Anduin is uncontrolled.
    If that's never, Turalyon remains in charge. If Anduin is freed, he's freed.
    Last edited by Razion; 2021-07-15 at 05:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    He definitely is a Mary Sue, not all Sue's are the same perfect beings that the term is based off of. But as was shown he lines up with the trope of overly pure, all his weaknesses are actually strengths, detrimentally noble, etc... It's one of the reasons his character is so annoyingly thin and transparent.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    No, the conventionally attractive 18 year old High King of the Alliance isn't a Gary Stu. Definitely not.

It's just good characterisation that the elder races grovel at his feet and beg for help, rather than, I dunno be outraged that this person who hasn't lived one one thousandth of the time they have oversee military matters.

OT: I'd imagine he'll be back to his usual "I want peace but sometimes you gotta fight for it" antics soon enough
    the onyl thing bad about Anduin is his dialogue. But then again so is every character in this game. But I do not find him a Mary Sue. Yes all the other races grovel at his feet but then again they did to Varian too. Thats the problem, with the Alliance faction its treated as a single leader of it and not a independent spokeman for the race as the others are.

When I think of a Mary Sue I think of 'boy grows up on farm, has special abilities and is a cut above everyone else despite receiving little to no training but being super powerful showing little faults... oh and it turns out he is the heir to the whole kingdom...'

You gotta be careful not to mix up Mary Sue with tropey. Is Anduin tropey? Yes. But he isn't a Mary Sue. He maybe falls into 2 or 3 categories as a Mary Sue. But many big characters do. Some people say Sylvanas, is a Mary sue, I also disagree, I just think she badly written and inconsistant :P

Just because you don;t like a character doesn't mean is he a Mary Sue..
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-07-15 at 06:24 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

15+ Year Old Account
    Make him evil so he finally becomes Manduin.

Characters deprived of their agency and/or free will cannot be evil, hence why Sylvanas is evil by comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    the onyl thing bad about Anduin is his dialogue. But then again so is every character in this game. But I do not find him a Mary Sue. Yes all the other races grovel at his feet but then again they did to Varian too. Thats the problem, with the Alliance faction its treated as a single leader of it and not a independent spokeman for the race as the others are.

When I think of a Mary Sue I think of 'boy grows up on farm, has special abilities and is a cut above everyone else despite receiving little to no training but being super powerful showing little faults... oh and it turns out he is the heir to the whole kingdom...'

You gotta be careful not to mix up Mary Sue with tropey. Is Anduin tropey? Yes. But he isn't a Mary Sue. He maybe falls into 2 or 3 categories as a Mary Sue. But many big characters do. Some people say Sylvanas, is a Mary sue, I also disagree, I just think she badly written and inconsistant :P

Just because you don;t like a character doesn't mean is he a Mary Sue..
    People were subservient to Varian because he lived about 3 different life times and earned everyone's respect. He was an effective military commander, a staunch but fair ruler, he was respected by his enemies, he was the Ghost Wolf. He wasn't perfect, went through multiple issues, had a short temper, etc...

Anduin isn't the same type of character. The reason he is in charge isn't a Mary Sue part of his aspect, his lineage and the Human birth rights are normal. What makes him a Mary Sue is that he is allowed infinite mistakes, never questioned, because "its right" and there are absolutely no repercussions to it. It's the aspect that puts him in Mary Sue territory.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if you call him a Mary Sue or not. He's a background character with terrible world building around him. It's what happens when you rip the simplistic child that he has been for the majority of Warcraft history, and put him in charge without actually having him grow up. He is an unrealistic sheltered flat character that is allowed infinite lee-way because everyone loves him.

I hope he'll 'wake up' and then can't stop being evil now that he's got a taste for it, while feeling guilty about it all the time. An inverse Sylvanas. Way more interesting.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    I hope he'll 'wake up' and then can't stop being evil now that he's got a taste for it, while feeling guilty about it all the time. An inverse Sylvanas. Way more interesting.
    Well, Andy boi already is a reverse Sylvanas, by any sensible consideration: Andy is very, very good, while Sylv is very, very evil; everyone (in-game) loves Andy except maybe the bad guy, who however still acknowledges his usefulness. In the meantime, everyone hates Sylv, or at least despises her. Andy is always right in the end, without doing a lot on his own, while Sylv has done quite a bit, but still has !@#$ed it up constantly since freaking WC3, when she instated a 100% trustworthy dreadlord as her second in command.

Sylvanas is a military commander with centuries of experience, yet she never amounted to much in the Horde until Vol'jin appointed her in highly questionable circumstances; Andy, on the other hand, has had little to no experience in military matters but that hasn't prevented him from inheriting the office of High King of the Alliance, even if HK (lul) is a military position and thus by no means hereditary. Sylvanas aides rebel by very weak reasons (Saurfang refusing to finish Malfurion off because MUH HONORZ) while Anduin's follow him blindly even after he !@#$s it up badly (siege of Lordaeron, Dazar'alor). Anyone opposing Sylv is automatically absolved of any BS he/she may have done before, while anyone opposing Andy, no matter the reasons, is marked as evil, or at least as a troublemaker or "unreasonable", and has to convert to Anduinism or be put down.
    Last edited by Soon-TM; 2021-07-22 at 01:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Turalyon is, at least nominally. As for Andy, I'd be very surprised if he isn't back to his !@#$ty Mary Sue (or Gary Stu if you prefer) status by the end of SL.
    If he was a Gary Stu he wouldn't have been effortlessly captured then effortlessly turned into a meat puppet to help destroy reality. Might want to check your definitions. Tyrande has been much closer to a Sue this xpac, being the only one who fought off being kidnapped, then survived in the Maw and Torghast alone for months.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    If he was a Gary Stu he wouldn't have been effortlessly captured then effortlessly turned into a meat puppet to help destroy reality. Might want to check your definitions. Tyrande has been much closer to a Sue this xpac, being the only one who fought off being kidnapped, then survived in the Maw and Torghast alone for months.
    You might want to doublecheck your definition of the several subtypes of Sue, because as I said earlier ITT, this one fits Andy like a glove. Especially this bit (bolded is mine):

Quote Originally Posted by TvTropes
    When considering if a character that overlaps with one or more of the other types belong here, keep in mind that Purity Sue pretty much exists to be loved by everybody for being (as the plot tries to suggest) "perfect" (or close enough) in every way that matters. If it's less about the character's actions and more just about everybody's fascination with the character, it belongs here.
    And yes, Tyrande is looking quite Sue-ish at this time, but that's neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

15+ Year Old Account
    He is a childish pussy that make me think I watch some manga crap whenever I see him in cinematics
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Where's the option for terrible writing?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    So is Anduin evil now or a bad guy and if so who’s next as leader of the Alliance or humans?
    Apparently, someone hasn't followed the story at all, and instead of learning about it, just posts random questions on a forum. lol

What happened to that Void influence in the Shadows Rising book? He literally went from pure Light to dominated by Death.

Was that foreshadowing for nothing?

No.

He's being mind controlled against his will.
    And, probably Turalyon will replace him.

Don't be fooled, they're going to redeem him this expansion. Can't waste two of their poster boys and gurls in just one expansion.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very possible even Blizzard haven't decided yet, or that they may change their minds based on fan response as to what they've presently set on.

Purchase the book that comes out later to find out!