Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Morality in games

Do you all things doing not the right things and doing evils acts in games affect your morality ?
    Last edited by All-seeing; 2021-09-08 at 02:56 PM.

no............................

No. That's entirely nonsense because good or evil actions are chiefly determined by your intention and the consequences. That's actually used by theologians and religious philosophers as one of the reasons to explain the question of the problem of evil. A common argument is the "Sandbox argument" where it is asked why God - assuming the reason why we are allowed to do evil is because we need to be able to choose between good and evil to build our souls and character - didn't just make a world where no consequences stick and everyone only thinks they have done evil if they do so, rather than the evil act actually causing harm to anyone else. The primary argument against that is that evil is, by definition, innately harmful. If no one is actually being harmed, then no evil is being done. Digital characters are fictional and consequently not sapient, so causing them harm is not the same as doing real evil.
    Last edited by Le Conceptuel; 2021-04-29 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by All-seeing View Post
    Do you all thing doing not the right thing (the morally grey , anti-hero acts) and doing evils acts in games affect your morality irl ?
    No because I can separate reality and virtual space.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Do you all thing doing not the right thing (the morally grey , anti-hero acts) and doing evils acts in games affect your morality irl ?
    It is basically the same question about video games and violence. The answer, as always, has been very simple - no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

These new accounts popping up and talking about evil and morality recently.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...void-and-death
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...0#post53147850

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Yeah, it's a little suspect, ain't it? You also might notice that they all speak in the exact same way.
    Last edited by Le Conceptuel; 2021-04-29 at 07:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Yeah... I got a bit suspicious when I seen a few of these recently. Guess these baba black magic love advice in Punjab spammers getting trickier.

10+ Year Old Account
    No because I am smart enough to separate reality from fiction. Which is weird because a lot of people feel that stories need to reflect our world and give influence to our world. I honestly do not believe that. You can have stories give a different view point without me losing sight of what's real and what real problems we face. Nor do those stories reverse my opinion on those real life views just because I decided to have an opposite take. Because I am not stupid and the people who consume that information should also be smart enough to also know what is right and wrong and not take my writing as gospel.
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-04-30 at 08:18 AM.

"Morality systems" in games are almost always awful. "Do I be a paragon or a renegade? Do I be a Jedi or a Sith? Do I kill the Bioshock babies or save them?" add nothing to the game. In fact, they almost always detract from my enjoyment of the game.

The one and only "morality choice" in a game that I thought was somewhat interesting was in Tactics Ogre, when (end of chapter 1 spoilers) you're fighting to liberate your country. You go to a village to try to stir up the people to join your resistance, but they are too demoralized and tell you to leave. The resistance leaders of your side then walk up to you and reveal that they had been expecting this... so they have a plan b: perform a false flag operation and massacre the village, then spread word of the atrocity throughout the land, stirring up the other villages to join the resistance. You have the choice of either carrying out your orders and massacring the village, or you can put your foot down and say no. If you say no, then the Resistance massacres the village and blames you for it, and all of a sudden everyone from the villages are setting out to kill you.

If someone goes out of their way to play as the most evil character repeatedly and over a long time period then it could potentially slightly rewire your brain to be more accepting to such things irl. Every thought we have have the potential to rewire our brains however slightly.

But someone who just plays a play through as evil or morally gray now and then? Nah, it would take a long time of repeated actions for it to potentially make a change.

The smaller the brain the bigger the moral.

I tend to do what i'd like to think i would do, which i think is why i don't really like licensed games like Spiderman or Arkham Aslyum. If the characters choice is made for me there is no illusion of choice. Which is fine for a narrative linear rpg or something but anything trying to be a sandbox where you have to rp an existing character who makes the choices for you just doesn't appeal to me in a weird way.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    "Morality systems" in games are almost always awful. "Do I be a paragon or a renegade? Do I be a Jedi or a Sith? Do I kill the Bioshock babies or save them?" add nothing to the game. In fact, they almost always detract from my enjoyment of the game.
    I always thought the Interplay/Obsidian crew did a good job or morality in their games. Fallout is almost always morally grey. Even the most "angelic" decisions can have unfortunate side effects like choosing NCR in Fallout 2. They often also try and validate their villains, like the master in the original fallout pushing for "unity".

The legion drew a fair amount of criticism in NV because although Caesar was an intelligent and reasonable character the faction was really inescapably evil. The remaining 3 options though can be pretty tough, especially with their respective consequences which are of course only partly in your control.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Why so negative OP? Most video games calls for heroism and not the other way around.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. When I was young, I would do violent things in games when it was permitted. Now I try to be as much of a saint when playing games.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Morality systems are 99% of the time just "want Sith lighting and red light sabers or Jedi powers and green lightsabers?" rather than making you think about your actions.
    At best they make you think what option might be for your desired good/evil/whatever, but that's about it. In the vein of "does chasing after this character give me Sith or Jedi points?" rather than "what do i think is right here?"

You should watch the netflix series on this exact subject.
    its called high score.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81019087

- - - Updated - - -

likely these spam bots are trying to create a popular thread, then editing the first post to try and fly their spam under the radar.

I liked the Mass Effect morality since you always fought for the right thing, the difference is just how you did it, if you are Luke Skywalker or psi-cop Bester.
    They are the only games where i could play the baddies and it felt cool, usually its rather forced or cringy.

I believe that every game has morality! Maybe you can't see it at first, but when you play the game and analyze it for a while. And about EVRICA, you realize that it still has a very deep meaning, and an understanding that the developers of the game wanted to convey to the players. The truth is sometimes moral and meaning to consider very hard).