Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #61
    I'm reminded of an acquaintance of mine asking me about how to price his old comic books. I told him that there are several factors (how old; how rare; popularity, the condition of the comic book, etc). But the primary consideration is how much someone is willing to pay for it.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Great for artists (of all varieties) in the internet age where original ownership of digital work can be difficult to prove.
    Oh no, its dumber than that. WAY dumber.



    EDIT: Goddamnit Jonny, you beat me to it.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Then please do explain. Your post heavily implies that bitcoin is not a scam, merely because some people made good money with it.
    And you're implying it is a scam because people lost money on it. It's just a highly volatile stock. That's all it is. Would you call a casino a scam because someone lost their life savings on the slots? No, that person is just stupid. Some currencies are scams, but that usually only happens when the tokens are minted and distributed, like what happened with Bitconnect.

  4. #64
    they cannot ban crypto currencies quick enough. what a bane on the planet.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Oh no, its dumber than that. WAY dumber.

    [IMhttps://i.redd.it/dv7syuwl00w61.png[/IMG]

    EDIT: Goddamnit Jonny, you beat me to it.
    one thing that post doesn't really mention is you're basically STEALING from the artist on top of everything else.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    And you're implying it is a scam because people lost money on it. It's just a highly volatile stock. That's all it is. Would you call a casino a scam because someone lost their life savings on the slots? No, that person is just stupid. Some currencies are scams, but that usually only happens when the tokens are minted and distributed, like what happened with Bitconnect.
    False. The bolded part is your own logic by the way, that you're trying to project to me now. It's interesting because it was the same logic strand I was contesting in the first place, to which you cried strawman. Funny how that works?

    I fully think it is a scam, but it's not "because some lost money on it", because by that nonsensical logic, anything is a scam that makes someone lose money. That was your implication on the opposite. That bitcoin isn't a scam, because some made good money on it. As if scam and someone making good money out of something are mutually exclusive. You again avoided elaborating further on that however, so we'll just go with the original thought, because it's still square one afterall.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2021-04-30 at 07:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

    Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    That was your implication on the opposite. That bitcoin isn't a scam, because some made good money on it.
    Wrong. I'm merely highlighting the fact that a lot of people didn't take it seriously and ended up being wrong. You still have people calling it it a "ponzi scheme" which is absolutely nonsensical.

  7. #67
    The Unstoppable Force PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    20,284
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    they cannot ban crypto currencies quick enough. what a bane on the planet.
    Sorry no, you are being a reactionary. Every time something new comes out there's always people who think it is worthless, wasteful, or harms society. They're just scared of progress.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-04-30 at 08:35 PM.
    Optimism! (HumanProgress.org)

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Sorry no, you are being a reactionary. Every time something new comes out there's always people who think it is worthless, wasteful, or harms society. Their just scared of progress.
    Sometimes, that's because it's actually a bad idea.

    Like the Juicero.

  9. #69
    The Unstoppable Force PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    20,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Sometimes, that's because it's actually a bad idea.

    Like the Juicero.
    We've barely even begun to scratch the surface with these concepts so I'm not sure how you can say that.

    More places are accepting cryptocurrency and I just read that you can now use PayPal to buy or sell cryptocurrency. So obviously not everyone agrees that it's a bad idea.
    Optimism! (HumanProgress.org)

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    We've barely even begun to scratch the surface with these concepts so I'm not sure how you can say that.

    More places are accepting cryptocurrency and I just read that you can now use PayPal to buy or sell cryptocurrency. So obviously not everyone agrees that it's a bad idea.
    I mean, folks thought that hydrogen filled blimps were a great idea for a while too.

  11. #71
    The Unstoppable Force PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    20,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean, folks thought that hydrogen filled blimps were a great idea for a while too.
    So just don't innovate and try anything new because there is so many failed ideas throughout history?
    Optimism! (HumanProgress.org)

  12. #72
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    God NFTs are the dumbest scam I think I've seen in a long time.
    Christ almighty.
    Indeed - they seriously break the bounds of all thought when looking at how they work.

    The artists are doing well off of it though...which is nice.

  13. #73
    Titan Grimbold21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Azores, Portugal
    Posts
    11,090
    All this tells me is that I need to put money into MANA, Decentraland's token. If years of exposure to WoW - amongst other tidbits of trivia - have shown me anything is that players have no qualms about separating themselves from their mine to acquire digital assets in/for the games they're involved with.

    You folks remember that video that went around about the largest sums of money spent in game items? That's basically Decentraland.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Sorry no, you are being a reactionary. Every time something new comes out there's always people who think it is worthless, wasteful, or harms society. They're just scared of progress.
    you had to have seen the post I responded to, why do you have to act this dishonest? NFT's are no different than those cancerous websites that steal art from artists on twitter and sell's their work on merch without them knowing. but because it has "crypto" attached to it the tech jocks think they're the ones with big brains when all they've done is fall for yet another pyramid scheme.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Indeed - they seriously break the bounds of all thought when looking at how they work.

    The artists are doing well off of it though...which is nice.
    only the ones that have established followings or have careers in concept art. everyone else gets the shitty end of the stick.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    So just don't innovate and try anything new because there is so many failed ideas throughout history?
    I thought there was nothing to learn from history. Also you pushing for harmful practices just because you'll be dead before they can affect you is quite malicious.
    Expansion leak claiming Legion is the last expansion
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    NO it will be me laughing at how you doubted this....
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    I was right

  16. #76
    The Unstoppable Force PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    20,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    I thought there was nothing to learn from history.
    That's for knowing the future. The future of humanity is determined by new innovations and new knowledge which can't be reliably predicted ahead of time. Which is why we have to give these ideas like cryptocurrency and the Hyperloop a chance to succeed even though there's always a horde of naysayers who think they already know everything about what will work in the future and anything outside of what they know is wasteful and should be banned.
    Optimism! (HumanProgress.org)

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    That's for knowing the future. The future of humanity is determined by new innovations and new knowledge which can't be reliably predicted ahead of time. Which is why we have to give these ideas like cryptocurrency and the Hyperloop a chance to succeed even though there's always a horde of naysayers who think they already know everything about what will work in the future and anything outside of what they know is wasteful and should be banned.
    Werent you the guy pushing Stadia as future of gaming?

  18. #78
    The Unstoppable Force PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    20,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Werent you the guy pushing Stadia as future of gaming?
    Nah, never heard of it til right now. Cloud gaming is another new idea though, if you have a good internet connection and don't have a powerful computer then that's a good option to have. Gamers don't have to worry about compatibility issues with that paradigm.
    Optimism! (HumanProgress.org)

  19. #79
    Legendary! Logwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dagobah
    Posts
    6,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Sometimes, that's because it's actually a bad idea.

    Like the Juicero.
    I had to look up Juicero..... That's like scam material there unless they advertised it as a machine that opens the juice packets for you!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean, folks thought that hydrogen filled blimps were a great idea for a while too.
    Fun facts: The use of helium instead of hydrogen reduces the payload of the airship by half. If the Hindenburg was using helium it would not have been able to make the flight at all!

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I had to look up Juicero..... That's like scam material there unless they advertised it as a machine that opens the juice packets for you!
    Scammed their way into tons of investor money with pointless buzzwords and a focus on slick marketing over a functional product.

    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Fun facts: The use of helium instead of hydrogen reduces the payload of the airship by half. If the Hindenburg was using helium it would not have been able to make the flight at all!
    It's also not prone to catching fire. Though in the defense of the Hindenberg, IIRC Germany didn't have access to much helium at the time (the US did and we weren't selling) so they used what they had. Which was clearly a very bad idea in hindsight...and should have been a very bad idea in foresight too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •