Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
11
LastLast
  1. #181
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I adventure as disc, so I tend to heal people around me, but while I do care, I also don’t go out of my way to try to spam heals on people I see. I rightfully assume they can handle themselves in the content they’re in, and, if they can’t, they’ll politely ask chats or people around them if they can assist.

    If someone whispers me what you whispered, I’d take it as passive-aggressive snark, and probably wouldn’t react well to it. My gaming time is limited, and it’s not spent purposely healing strangers everywhere I go. To be fair, unless you’re focused or targeted by me, I won’t even know you’re in trouble. I don’t show health bars (can you even show those?) or nameplates for friendly units.

    This isn’t a matter of not caring, it’s just it’s not my responsibility to sustain the population of Azeroth.
    You can show friendly nameplates in the open world, yeah. But as you said, it isn't your job to keep random people alive.
    Voidshuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

  2. #182
    Not sure why you wouldn't go guardian for a boss, given guardian can solo everything in the Maw safely while being bombarded by towers and half AFK, but next time, if someone's not helping, leash the mob. They'll either taunt off you to stop the reset (in which case mission accomplished), or you can swap specs and try again without dying. Never assume someone else will help.

    That being said, I don't think it's really that bad of a community. When a hunter and I were doing the soul eater hunt and they died, I stopped DPS at 3% to give them a chance to run back and tag (they were opposite faction, so I couldn't res). While I was sitting in Perdition Hold and chatting with someone, I tanked a bunch of elites for a boomkin in the area doing the weekly, even though my quest was done days ago. A vengeance DH and I taunt swapped one of the bosses even though I'm pretty sure either of us could have soloed it, just so we were even less at risk of something going wrong. Compare that to getting bombarded by "a/s/l?" spam in the nineties, I'll take today's community.

  3. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    This so called "community" has been on free fall since end of TBC. It completely deteriorated with LFG and then server connections put the final nail in the coffin. Complete lack of identity on the internet brings up the worst. That was also why vanilla was successful because pulling shit there would make someone obsolete in their server.

    All that being said calling any criticism "vitriol" or being agitated because someone told you what they would have liked you to do is part of the "im so offended" culture that has been habitually cultivated in wow and now the farmers of said culture reap its fruit. No surprises there. Ultra touchy players acting as ever-so-offended. Honestly who wants to play with people like that.
    nah the final nail in the coffin of the community imo was faction tagging once that came in every1 just leached on to everything once people killed their mobs they just "tagged" other peoples mobs and waited for them to kill the mob for them

  4. #184
    Scarab Lord Motorman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Any posh place
    Posts
    4,688
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    nah the final nail in the coffin of the community imo was faction tagging once that came in every1 just leached on to everything once people killed their mobs they just "tagged" other peoples mobs and waited for them to kill the mob for them
    Oh yes I forgot about that. Thats toxicity leaving words and becoming actions or omissions. Ofc it falls under the blizzard radar and its politically correct sentiment, while calling the person who does that an "asshole" is punishable because omg bad words spewed in the sacred environment that is wow. The game promotes hypocricy they just hide everything under the rag and pretend its all good. Started with official forums years ago and look where it got us.
    WoW forums in a nutshell:
    m8 i've been around since Feb 2005, I know it all.
    i outgrew the games playerbase.
    So I was using a gold dupe hack. I don't know why i was banned for this. It is so unfair.
    People need an incentive to play content. "Its fun!" is simply not enough.
    Btw iam multi glad so plz dont tell me how to play, kkthxbye

  5. #185
    Pandaren Monk Chrno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Westland
    Posts
    1,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Majalahti View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread so only commenting on OP.

    Ask for a taunt when you're fighting the mob not whisper after it kills you. Not everyone know what kind of crazy instant 50k heals your class has or doesn't.
    Just a simple "/s taunt" will suffice.
    This is the simple truth.

    The game being so utterly solo orientated is what is to blame here. But some friendlynes get's a long way.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

    "The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

  6. #186
    About the time internet anonymity became a thing. By now I pretty much expect I have to be self sufficient in open world content and to an extent group dungeon/raid content. This is why I prefer warlock atm with its own tank pet. Also Maw has been pretty dead for a while besides the occasional alt of cov switcher still leveling stuff in their base or renown and pretty much the stuff required for that is 1 or 2 quick in and out quests.

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    nah the final nail in the coffin of the community imo was faction tagging once that came in every1 just leached on to everything once people killed their mobs they just "tagged" other peoples mobs and waited for them to kill the mob for them
    really? I find multi-tagging more community friendly than the opposite. Without it it led to people trying to get each other killed so they can get the tag on whatever quest mob / rare or whatever.

    Multi-tagging promotes helping each other, even if that helping is just 1 spell/ability.
    If I get swarmed by mobs in a dense area, I'm almost guaranteed to have people come help because it's a quick quest completion for all of us. Vanilla, no one would care at all and just let me or the player die and then they can kill the mobs for quest credits.

    I really fail to see how this is "anti-community" when it's a benefit to everyone if everyone tags the mobs.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rinaul View Post
    About the time internet anonymity became a thing. By now I pretty much expect I have to be self sufficient in open world content and to an extent group dungeon/raid content. This is why I prefer warlock atm with its own tank pet. Also Maw has been pretty dead for a while besides the occasional alt of cov switcher still leveling stuff in their base or renown and pretty much the stuff required for that is 1 or 2 quick in and out quests.
    Internet anonymity was a thing as soon as internet came to be for the masses... in, fact over time, it has become less anonymous due to people being more tech savvy and doxxing. In fact a lot of people who were douchebags saw this opportunity in the internet, which is why I think early days were so much more vitriol across all games I played. Over time when internet became more normalized the normal standard for behaviour started to seep into internet culture and online communities and games started to implement more and more restrictions for bad behaviour. But maybe that was your point.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2021-05-04 at 09:26 AM.

  8. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    really? I find multi-tagging more community friendly than the opposite. Without it it led to people trying to get each other killed so they can get the tag on whatever quest mob / rare or whatever.

    Multi-tagging promotes helping each other, even if that helping is just 1 spell/ability.
    If I get swarmed by mobs in a dense area, I'm almost guaranteed to have people come help because it's a quick quest completion for all of us. Vanilla, no one would care at all and just let me or the player die and then they can kill the mobs for quest credits.

    I really fail to see how this is "anti-community" when it's a benefit to everyone if everyone tags the mobs.
    its like that now but it stated off as ppl just " tagging" some1 else's mobs then just running off and doing some other part of the world quest objective

  9. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    its like that now but it stated off as ppl just " tagging" some1 else's mobs then just running off and doing some other part of the world quest objective
    which I adressed... even if it's just 1 spell or ability, it's still help. The best outcome in both versions of the game is that the player would help to kill it. It's the worst situations that differ though. The worse situation was that they pulled more mobs to you to get you killed so they can get credit for whatever quest mob / rare. The worst situation doesn't really happen anymore at the same scale, because there is no reason to. It was done earlier due to tagging restrictions, it's not necessary anymore.

    Ergo, it's more community friendly mechanic to have tag sharing.

  10. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    which I adressed... even if it's just 1 spell or ability, it's still more help than previous, where the best outcome would be that they helped you, just like now. The worse situation was that they pulled more mobs to you to get you killed so they can get credit for whatever quest mob / rare. The worst situation doesn't really happen anymore at the same scale, because there is no reason to. It was done earlier due to tagging restrictions, it's not necessary anymore.

    Ergo, it's more community friendly mechanic to have tag sharing.
    i might be wrong in this but back when it was first implemented every tag up to 5 on non rares/elites added to their hp and damage done.

  11. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    i might be wrong in this but back when it was first implemented every tag up to 5 on non rares/elites added to their hp and damage done.
    No idea, maybe... i started playing again in legion after taking a break from WotLK and I can't say I noticed it becoming harder when someone tagged a mob. I know rares get higher hp and stuff to allow for more time for others to join in, which again is more community friendly to me.
    And I rarely see, can't recall an instance, where people tag a rare and then leaves... most people stay and fight because it's quicker due to it locking them into combat.

    The main point is that I can't understand the logic in that locking mob tagging somehow was more friendly rather than shared tagging. Can you explain how it would be more friendly? Only argument I can see is that it promotes grouping up, but that's just sharing with extra steps. A lot of grouping up for rares and quest mobs were just a silent party invite, kill mob, then leave with few or no words. People who wanted to talk, talked, same as now, people who don't want to talk, won't...same as now.

  12. #192
    When players lost reason to be nice.
    Wow needs a commendation system to reward helpfull players.

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Oh please, online gaming in the 90's was niche as fuck - as was gaming in general.
    It really really wasn't. Gaming in general sure as heck wasn't. The late 90s/early 2000s was when gaming really started to take off as a mainstream hobby.

  14. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    No idea, maybe... i started playing again in legion after taking a break from WotLK and I can't say I noticed it becoming harder when someone tagged a mob. I know rares get higher hp and stuff to allow for more time for others to join in, which again is more community friendly to me.
    And I rarely see, can't recall an instance, where people tag a rare and then leaves... most people stay and fight because it's quicker due to it locking them into combat.

    The main point is that I can't understand the logic in that locking mob tagging somehow was more friendly rather than shared tagging. Can you explain how it would be more friendly? Only argument I can see is that it promotes grouping up, but that's just sharing with extra steps. A lot of grouping up for rares and quest mobs were just a silent party invite, kill mob, then leave with few or no words. People who wanted to talk, talked, same as now, people who don't want to talk, won't...same as now.
    ture, it was just that but back in tbc and wrath it also led to additional members on your friends list which is something that stopped happening now

  15. #195
    I am absolutely disgusted.

    Is this what a "community" supposed to be? If you don't have some shinies programmed YOU DON'T HELP ANYONE? You need a REASON to be nice?
    Seriously this is concerning. I hope you all get some stress relief because this kind of.. how can I say... tenseness? That you don't have the time, effort and will to just.. help or say a few good words to your fellow player is too much...

    Please just think about it for a second. If everyone strives for individualism, eventually you have no one to share your joy, because they don't give a flying fuck about you. And we are social beings, don't let this be the other way around.

  16. #196
    You have to look at it from their point of view. First of all he's still playing Shadowlands, that already probably put him in a bad mood and he most likely wasn't even seeing other players due to trying to separate his mind from what's on the screen. Secondly, he was in the Maw. That would push most people off the edge of sanity at this point in Shadowlands lifetime. So there he is mindlessly fighting this big mob and he gets smacked to death. Now he has to spend even more time in the Maw then is safely allowed by mental health professionals. Then you come in and whisper him some passive-aggressive remarks when this poor guy is already going through mental torture. I'm impressed he didn't say something worse tbh. I guarantee if that same player was playing back in Wrath happily doing dailies or gathering and he saw someone in trouble he'd jump in and help like a proper pally.
    Last edited by AmaterasuNyan; 2021-05-04 at 10:39 AM.

  17. #197
    Quote Originally Posted by Orwell7 View Post
    I am absolutely disgusted.

    Is this what a "community" supposed to be? If you don't have some shinies programmed YOU DON'T HELP ANYONE? You need a REASON to be nice?
    Seriously this is concerning. I hope you all get some stress relief because this kind of.. how can I say... tenseness? That you don't have the time, effort and will to just.. help or say a few good words to your fellow player is too much...

    Please just think about it for a second. If everyone strives for individualism, eventually you have no one to share your joy, because they don't give a flying fuck about you. And we are social beings, don't let this be the other way around.
    Why would i be nice to people who dont give a shit about me and are ready to kick you from group in lvling dungeon without a reason? They dont communicate and the only communication you get from this community is system message of "you have been kicked from the group" and lol if you are unlucky. Even worse if you are a new player to this game and say its your first time in a said dungeon they will kick you out 98 times out of a 100.

    Before you had the realm to keep people in line. Be an asshole and nobody on the realm grouped with you. Now thats gone.
    Incentivice lfg with commendations and give groups bonuses for doing content with new players. Extra anima/exp/gold/runes for completing a dungeon with a newbie in it.

  18. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Yep, that is exactly what I thought when I heard this rule about no "damage meters allowed". I get that some folks rather not deal with that stuff but damn... that is some opressive rule. How do you even improve yourself without knowing what you do wrong?

    I once talked with a FF player about how you even know if people are up to the challenge of a raid. Both yourself and others.

    "There are dummys for the raid bosses to practice on."
    "Okay, do they do the mechanics of the raid boss?"
    "No."
    "Then how do they tell you anything about performance in the actual encounter, where you have to do both DPS and mechanics? That's like doing a dummy parse and expecting that number to be your raid damage."
    "uhm..."

    So this allows pretty much only two conclusions: Either boss mechanics are trivial and failing them will not impact the encounter and/or people are constantly unknowingly carrying others without giving consent.
    Feels like a very unattractive system to me. If we don't all try to do our best in our hobby and constantly improve, what is the point of even playing.
    FYI, there are damage meters. I watched a streamer do multiple boss fights, and the damage meter was right there to show how they were doing compared to everyone else. You just can't discuss them in-game. So for a raid of friends, you can chat about it in Discord or the like. If you're in a PUG, you can't unless you somehow know how to contact one of those players out-of-game. It's intended to make the game more PUG friendly. There's definitely a trade-off there, but those who are serious about raiding do have the tools for self-improvement.

  19. #199
    You opened like a passive-aggressive di*k so I would've ignored you too.

  20. #200
    Quote Originally Posted by Deneios View Post
    Even worse if you are a new player to this game and say its your first time in a said dungeon they will kick you out 98 times out of a 100.
    Just don't say this then. It contributes nothing to the group, and no one is obligated to hold a new person's hand.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •