Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    i might be wrong in this but back when it was first implemented every tag up to 5 on non rares/elites added to their hp and damage done.
    No idea, maybe... i started playing again in legion after taking a break from WotLK and I can't say I noticed it becoming harder when someone tagged a mob. I know rares get higher hp and stuff to allow for more time for others to join in, which again is more community friendly to me.
    And I rarely see, can't recall an instance, where people tag a rare and then leaves... most people stay and fight because it's quicker due to it locking them into combat.

The main point is that I can't understand the logic in that locking mob tagging somehow was more friendly rather than shared tagging. Can you explain how it would be more friendly? Only argument I can see is that it promotes grouping up, but that's just sharing with extra steps. A lot of grouping up for rares and quest mobs were just a silent party invite, kill mob, then leave with few or no words. People who wanted to talk, talked, same as now, people who don't want to talk, won't...same as now.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

When players lost reason to be nice.
    Wow needs a commendation system to reward helpfull players.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Oh please, online gaming in the 90's was niche as fuck - as was gaming in general.
    It really really wasn't. Gaming in general sure as heck wasn't. The late 90s/early 2000s was when gaming really started to take off as a mainstream hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    No idea, maybe... i started playing again in legion after taking a break from WotLK and I can't say I noticed it becoming harder when someone tagged a mob. I know rares get higher hp and stuff to allow for more time for others to join in, which again is more community friendly to me.
    And I rarely see, can't recall an instance, where people tag a rare and then leaves... most people stay and fight because it's quicker due to it locking them into combat.

The main point is that I can't understand the logic in that locking mob tagging somehow was more friendly rather than shared tagging. Can you explain how it would be more friendly? Only argument I can see is that it promotes grouping up, but that's just sharing with extra steps. A lot of grouping up for rares and quest mobs were just a silent party invite, kill mob, then leave with few or no words. People who wanted to talk, talked, same as now, people who don't want to talk, won't...same as now.
    ture, it was just that but back in tbc and wrath it also led to additional members on your friends list which is something that stopped happening now

I am absolutely disgusted.

Is this what a "community" supposed to be? If you don't have some shinies programmed YOU DON'T HELP ANYONE? You need a REASON to be nice?
    Seriously this is concerning. I hope you all get some stress relief because this kind of.. how can I say... tenseness? That you don't have the time, effort and will to just.. help or say a few good words to your fellow player is too much...

Please just think about it for a second. If everyone strives for individualism, eventually you have no one to share your joy, because they don't give a flying fuck about you. And we are social beings, don't let this be the other way around.

You have to look at it from their point of view. First of all he's still playing Shadowlands, that already probably put him in a bad mood and he most likely wasn't even seeing other players due to trying to separate his mind from what's on the screen. Secondly, he was in the Maw. That would push most people off the edge of sanity at this point in Shadowlands lifetime. So there he is mindlessly fighting this big mob and he gets smacked to death. Now he has to spend even more time in the Maw then is safely allowed by mental health professionals. Then you come in and whisper him some passive-aggressive remarks when this poor guy is already going through mental torture. I'm impressed he didn't say something worse tbh. I guarantee if that same player was playing back in Wrath happily doing dailies or gathering and he saw someone in trouble he'd jump in and help like a proper pally.
    Last edited by Megor96; 2021-05-04 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orwell7 View Post
    I am absolutely disgusted.

Is this what a "community" supposed to be? If you don't have some shinies programmed YOU DON'T HELP ANYONE? You need a REASON to be nice?
    Seriously this is concerning. I hope you all get some stress relief because this kind of.. how can I say... tenseness? That you don't have the time, effort and will to just.. help or say a few good words to your fellow player is too much...

Please just think about it for a second. If everyone strives for individualism, eventually you have no one to share your joy, because they don't give a flying fuck about you. And we are social beings, don't let this be the other way around.
    Why would i be nice to people who dont give a shit about me and are ready to kick you from group in lvling dungeon without a reason? They dont communicate and the only communication you get from this community is system message of "you have been kicked from the group" and lol if you are unlucky. Even worse if you are a new player to this game and say its your first time in a said dungeon they will kick you out 98 times out of a 100.

Before you had the realm to keep people in line. Be an asshole and nobody on the realm grouped with you. Now thats gone.
    Incentivice lfg with commendations and give groups bonuses for doing content with new players. Extra anima/exp/gold/runes for completing a dungeon with a newbie in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Yep, that is exactly what I thought when I heard this rule about no "damage meters allowed". I get that some folks rather not deal with that stuff but damn... that is some opressive rule. How do you even improve yourself without knowing what you do wrong?

I once talked with a FF player about how you even know if people are up to the challenge of a raid. Both yourself and others.

"There are dummys for the raid bosses to practice on."
    "Okay, do they do the mechanics of the raid boss?"
    "No."
    "Then how do they tell you anything about performance in the actual encounter, where you have to do both DPS and mechanics? That's like doing a dummy parse and expecting that number to be your raid damage."
    "uhm..."

So this allows pretty much only two conclusions: Either boss mechanics are trivial and failing them will not impact the encounter and/or people are constantly unknowingly carrying others without giving consent.
    Feels like a very unattractive system to me. If we don't all try to do our best in our hobby and constantly improve, what is the point of even playing.
    FYI, there are damage meters. I watched a streamer do multiple boss fights, and the damage meter was right there to show how they were doing compared to everyone else. You just can't discuss them in-game. So for a raid of friends, you can chat about it in Discord or the like. If you're in a PUG, you can't unless you somehow know how to contact one of those players out-of-game. It's intended to make the game more PUG friendly. There's definitely a trade-off there, but those who are serious about raiding do have the tools for self-improvement.

You opened like a passive-aggressive di*k so I would've ignored you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Deneios View Post
    Even worse if you are a new player to this game and say its your first time in a said dungeon they will kick you out 98 times out of a 100.
    Just don't say this then. It contributes nothing to the group, and no one is obligated to hold a new person's hand.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    I'm honestly surprised how many mind readers we have here that are telling me what my mindset and intentions regarding my message to the paladin was. Do people just assume every time that someone else is being passive aggressive?
    You're right, that wasn't totally passive-aggressive to say to a complete stranger.
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

Please do not contact me about moderation - Reach out to another member.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyvax View Post
    Just don't say this then. It contributes nothing to the group, and no one is obligated to hold a new person's hand.
    In other MMORPGs it's quite common to say that you're new. People will be more forgiving and eager to teach.

But yeah the elitist toxic WoW community can't have any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalisandra View Post
    When levelling a Paladin in Classic my biggest "OMG! Now I remember why I hated vanilla!" moment was when I realised that buffing passersby was essentially pointless because Pally buffs only lasted 5 minutes, unlike Priest or Mage buffs.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait... it's advanced content, yet others can't be expected to have the situational awareness and common sense to off-heal? So, actually it's only advanced content for some people, the others just get to leech. That seems to be what you're saying.
    If that makes it easier for you, sure.

Putting your survivability on the "situational awareness" of others is a surefire way to die.

If that makes it advanced, ok. Advanced reading group was obviously a tongue-in-cheek comment, but that may have been....advanced
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

I think the op was right because he was genuine in the moment and is being himself. The other person could have considered that or many other things other than theirself. I can see his experience and the experience of the other person being a loved and celebrated interaction that would, in anything else, be memorable and beloved.

If Han Solo said, 'Thanks for the help,' to a stranger, you'd love him. If an anime character was engaged in a battle with a monster and out of breath and his eyes glanced over to a stranger who was walking through the woods sipping tea but not helping, he might, in exhaustion and with attitude say or shout, 'a little help *weez* would have been/would be nice *weez*' and you'd love both him and the new character's interaction - especially if the passerby was unaware of the conflict and caught off guard and/or was watching without helping (out of nervousness or even out of glee). All of these scenes fit my understanding of the op's experience and they're all memorable and wonderful character defining moments and riveting story possibilities.

He was engaged in a battel with something difficult and reached out to a passerby/onlooker and his personality/character (slightly haughty and defiant, like inu yasha or like han solo or Indiana Jones or harry potter when he's being brash or like any enthusiastic FF character or a frazzled pokemon trainer or Link when he's intense or like any stressed/heightened emotion/sarcastic character in anything, (and this extends to/includes bold/quiet types like large fellas making jabs at one another upon entering a locker room after a game/match, 'a few heals would have been nice,' 'you shouldn't have gone L.o.s. I had you,' 'yeah yeah'), had him shouting/whispering/saying his comments in exasperation and in character about the/in the moment. I like it and am keeping in the story.

I don't know why people feel their way was better/justified. The other guy who was rude back to the op who wasn't trying to be rude but may have sounded or seemed rude in his exasperation from being out of breath and feeling heightened at that peak moment, missed out on a cool friendship that could have lead to many adventures in a starwars, final fantasy, anime-like journey. Maybe they'll cross paths again and the other guy will be appalled that he keeps bumping into this 'haphazard' adventurer, and roll his eyes and move on, until a third meeting with another large boss fight gets him personally involved because there's something he wants or something at stake.

Everyone is different and it's surprising that what people seem to love in shows and games and movies, they don't like in real life, but they probably would be ok with who they consider to be rude, unlikable, unrefined, gross, etc, if they removed themselves from the moment and looked at it from the outside - here you are bumping into someone you normally wouldn't have, and both of your personas are exposed - if they gave these epic interactions and meet ups a chance, they'd find them alike stories and characters they love. This is often how our favorite characters get introduced. I'm sure we've all met someone we didn't want to at first. And even if you still see him as being rude or whatever, if that's part of his personality or that's how his character came out at that moment, how you treat them is just as important as how you feel you've been treated.

And at the end of the day, don't always assume that your bubble is the important one. And see everything as an opportunity. I guess I'm the overly optimistic and naïve character ^_^!

PS

I can also see the op being the smart/bookish/scholarly type of character whose attention is placed more on analytical processes such as, 'if you had only accomplished providing me the necessary heal, then we wouldn't be in this mess now would we, next time, the aforementioned taunt would be most agreeable to our success.' Completely innocent and focused on the methods and research on what went wrong and how to improve, perhaps so much so that it seems to the other person, to lack kinship (when in fact, it's his way of achieving kinship and sorting out mistakes for a better attempt). Which I also love!

Don't ever change, Op, you're more likely to become a member of ragtag band of motley crewmembers akin to older ff series or a team of adventurers like older rpgs than those who shoot down your ways. Renzokuken!
    Last edited by dunkl; 2021-05-04 at 05:51 PM.

Feeling a bit down, so sorry for this blogpost.

I wernt down to the Maw early today, was in the mood to do the hunt. I called out in general that I was going there, got no response. Saw no one there. Cleared the first round, called out in general. Cleared second round. Third round. Finally the boss is up. And finally two other people show up. An unholy death knight and a retribution paladin. We go in and my dps is the highest so I get aggro. I was immediately wishing I'd gone restoration affinity or even guardian spec, that thing hit pretty hard. Right near the end one of the adds edges behind me, dazes me, and I get killed by a tower blast.

So I run back to my body, and see the paladin running by. I whisper him thusly "Some heals or a taunt when I was low would've been appreciated." Nothing offensive, right? And he unloads at me quite a bit of vitriol.

"I wasn't aware I was signing up for LFR when I came down to the Maw"
    "If you can't handle your own business you have no business playing, go die"
    And some third line I can't remember.

So I reply "What's the big deal? I was tanking that thing for you the least you could do is throw me some offheals, I know ret has some good ones." But he'd already had me on ignore. I mean, really. If he'd gotten aggro I would've thrown my instant regrowths on him if he needed them, it's only common decency. To not only not get that, but to get attacked in such a way. I kinda miss the 90s. Players seemed nicer to each other in online games, since the idea of playing with another person possibly on the other side of the world was a novel idea then. You seemed to want to walk up to that guy, ask what he was doing, and make friends. Now it's "that guy died helping me? He deserved it."
    Today a druggie threatened me, verbally in person, and i insubtly let him know i was neither impressed nor appreciative of that fact.

This interaction, while negative, was not indicative of people in general being senseless dicks, but rather of having encountered one like that.
    And since such people tend to clump together it might create the impression that "people" in general are like that, while the reality is usually that you've just been unlucky, you've been going through a bad neighborhood (physically or metaphorically), or you're presently a bit more sensitive to such dickery because of whatever reason.

So yeah, i hope your luck, locale and morale improve, as i've not encountered significant amounts of people who are as you describe.

Best of luck!
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    FYI, there are damage meters. I watched a streamer do multiple boss fights, and the damage meter was right there to show how they were doing compared to everyone else. You just can't discuss them in-game. So for a raid of friends, you can chat about it in Discord or the like. If you're in a PUG, you can't unless you somehow know how to contact one of those players out-of-game. It's intended to make the game more PUG friendly. There's definitely a trade-off there, but those who are serious about raiding do have the tools for self-improvement.
    Yes, but the moment some guy dislikes that streamer they will report them and that account will be banned. This rule is ridiculously opressive. You have to take your talk of performance out of the game because someone could get offended by the fact that you want to improve yourself.

Not to mention that this system forces players to carry the weaker ones in PUGs, without asking if they are okay with that. While this is cute for the one being carried, I bet there are many situations where a player is kicked from the group because of their performance but can't be told so because of the rules. So that weaker player has no clue what is wrong and is subsequently robbed of the chance to fix their problems.

I know WoWs playerbase can be a bunch of asshats sometimes, but at least they give it to me straight when I suck and don't get banned for honesty. Sure this hurts some feelings and many times they are also plain wrong and idiots, but that is better then constantly fearing to be banned if you offend someone for saying they need to step up their game.

You can't go through life wrapped in a safety blanket.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    Yea you probably played Kingdom Hearts, sheltered life... lol. Dude, it was much worse than it is now. Rose tinted nostalgia is strong
    No I played mostly counter strike.

Quote Originally Posted by dunkl View Post

PS

I can also see the op being the smart/bookish/scholarly type of character whose attention is placed more on analytical processes such as, 'if you had only accomplished providing me the necessary heal, then we wouldn't be in this mess now would we, next time, the aforementioned taunt would be most agreeable to our success.' Completely innocent and focused on the methods and research on what went wrong and how to improve, perhaps so much so that it seems to the other person, to lack kinship (when in fact, it's his way of achieving kinship and sorting out mistakes for a better attempt). Which I also love!

Don't ever change, Op, you're more likely to become a member of ragtag band of motley crewmembers akin to older ff series or a team of adventurers like older rpgs than those who shoot down your ways. Renzokuken!
    ...good god.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Just curious but what did you hope to gain from whispering him "Some heals or a taunt when I was low would've been appreciated."?
    "Sorry about that, I didn't have friendly health bars on and didn't know you needed help. Also sorry for not rezzing you when the elite was dead and making you run across the entire zone to get your loot and stygia back. My bad." It's what I would've done. Are people really that jaded that they see every comment as an attack on themselves? The number of "you were being passive aggressive so you deserve anything you get" responses are baffling.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

"Sorry about that, I didn't have friendly health bars on and didn't know you needed help. Also sorry for not rezzing you when the elite was dead and making you run across the entire zone to get your loot and stygia back. My bad." It's what I would've done. Are people really that jaded that they see every comment as an attack on themselves? The number of "you were being passive aggressive so you deserve anything you get" responses are baffling.
    It sounds passive aggressive to me. And you were honestly expecting an apology from a dude playing a video game in his spare time that probably had 0 idea u were at risk of dying. I just don't think thats realistic at all. His responses weren't ok but probably was in shock at the thought u wanted an apology from him
    Last edited by ellieg; 2021-05-05 at 05:00 PM.