Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    "Sorry about that, I didn't have friendly health bars on and didn't know you needed help. Also sorry for not rezzing you when the elite was dead and making you run across the entire zone to get your loot and stygia back. My bad." It's what I would've done. Are people really that jaded that they see every comment as an attack on themselves? The number of "you were being passive aggressive so you deserve anything you get" responses are baffling.
    Lol, your state of bafflement is ironic.

"Sorry that you sucked."

Honey and vinegar man, its really, really basic human interaction.
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

Please do not contact me about moderation - Reach out to another member.

Quote Originally Posted by kodemonkee View Post
    No I played mostly counter strike.
    I played before that game ever came out. Quake 1. I've seen the scene. It was worse. People are more aware these days.

i think players stopped caring somewhere during those 15 years of doing the same thing over and over in different colored environments, op, hth

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    really? I find multi-tagging more community friendly than the opposite. Without it it led to people trying to get each other killed so they can get the tag on whatever quest mob / rare or whatever.

Multi-tagging promotes helping each other, even if that helping is just 1 spell/ability.
    If I get swarmed by mobs in a dense area, I'm almost guaranteed to have people come help because it's a quick quest completion for all of us. Vanilla, no one would care at all and just let me or the player die and then they can kill the mobs for quest credits.

I really fail to see how this is "anti-community" when it's a benefit to everyone if everyone tags the mobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Internet anonymity was a thing as soon as internet came to be for the masses... in, fact over time, it has become less anonymous due to people being more tech savvy and doxxing. In fact a lot of people who were douchebags saw this opportunity in the internet, which is why I think early days were so much more vitriol across all games I played. Over time when internet became more normalized the normal standard for behaviour started to seep into internet culture and online communities and games started to implement more and more restrictions for bad behaviour. But maybe that was your point.
    Yeah I just didn't want to write a novel about it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivank0v View Post
    ...good god.
    Hold on... I wanna see where this fanfic goes

Empathy goes both ways.

When you did not receive help there are many reason of such, maybe the guy is on his/her way to legal blindness playing the game with all the assist mode on, maybe he was just watching netflix, maybe he family got the covf and he is in a seriously bad mood, maybe he lags like shit and he never see your character, or maybe he was in a fight with his dad/mom/wife/husband for cutting his/her cable for playing too much while you are dying.

The lack of empathy starts when you assumed he ignore you on purpose, and initiate a negative message ASSUMING just that. And people just respond with YOUR lack of empathy with even more lacking of empathy.

Make sure you yourself offer empathy to others (like consider all possibilities for why they are unable to help), before you demand empathy from others.
    Last edited by gobio; 2021-05-07 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    I played before that game ever came out. Quake 1. I've seen the scene. It was worse. People are more aware these days.
    Hmm I don't know I started playing CS 1.5 back in the days and maybe it depends from which country you are but it was friendlier on german servers than now.

This is why I never initiate a fight if I'm not specced for tanking and I'll slow DPS to make sure I don't get aggro. I like helping others, but I learned a long time ago not to expect help.

Also, I'd prefer someone tell me if they've never done a dungeon. It sucks that apparently that runs the risk of getting kicked (I'm guessing only if you're DPS), but I'd rather take 10 seconds before fights to write a one sentence explanation than deal with a lot of unnecessary stress and deaths. I don't know what's so difficult about a quick glance at the adventure guide, Blizzard couldn't have possibly made it easier without making DBM part of the core interface, but most people can't seem to be bothered to do that. Believe me, it is obvious who hasn't done certain dungeons before, don't think by being silent people won't have noticed by the first boss.

Anyway, I like helping out, but I admit I don't always pay attention in the outdoor world. The amount of times my cats get in front of the monitor when I'm trying to fight something difficult can not be understated either. :P I have target-of-target turned on though, so I usually see when whoever has aggro is in trouble and assist if I'm able.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    You can show friendly nameplates in the open world, yeah. But as you said, it isn't your job to keep random people alive.
    I'd like to say it sounds like bystander syndrome, but since your own chances of success go down when the person tanking the elite for you dies bystander doesn't seem quite correct. I get that there's no obligation to help others if they're not in your group, but when actually increase your own chances of failure by not helping the logic goes out the window. I wonder how the response would've been if after I died the elite killed them as well?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

I had a fun experience when doing WoD reputation for flying. There was some rare or elite that I killed just before other person got there or tagged it. He kept sending me stuff like "I'll fuck your mom, your dead, I'll come there and beat you up" for 30 minutes. Completely insane.

Some people get triggered easily and hard. Especially if they made a mistake and can't admit to being bad. Perfectionism is a big problem in games I think? Healthy Gamer Dr K is it? On youtube talked about it once or twice.

"Sorry about that, I didn't have friendly health bars on and didn't know you needed help. Also sorry for not rezzing you when the elite was dead and making you run across the entire zone to get your loot and stygia back. My bad." It's what I would've done. Are people really that jaded that they see every comment as an attack on themselves? The number of "you were being passive aggressive so you deserve anything you get" responses are baffling.
    Well, I do agree with the other posters here that I also would understand your whisper as passive-aggressive.
    I never expect other players in the open world to do anything for me - it isn't their job - but if someone does something for me I throw them a thanks or help them out. I can understand your frustration, but I can even more understand that the guy you whispered was bothered by that you not only felt entitled to his help, but also whispered him with a clear stated critique.

I should mention that I never have friendly name-plates on - they are completely useless for me and just clutter my screen, so other players in the open world are more or less invisible for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    My advice? Put bare mininum damage in next time, let them deal with it, unfortunately World Content is a dog eat dog world, assume nobody is going to aid you because that's just the reality of it these days, you've gotta be an asshole in a world full of assholes just to get by.

7+ Year Old Account
    When wow became more of a job i guess, is the thing of "i can't have fun while doing this "off-topic" thing, i have to grind and get more ilv/ap" or "no time for noobs just want to kill this thing quickly and go away"

But see, you went a bit passive-aggressive, people are on the edge, they will lash out for less, so, even you stop caring i guess?

One day i was creating groups to kill the rares in bfa, the corrupted part of mop you know, those areas had massive lag in the first weeks, so it was hard to cal everyone, and some people would start the fight an just blast the rare without waiting, one guy was so mad that he didn't get invite that he lashed out, said any racist/xenophoby thing he could and mute me, now and then he unmute me to say more.

Because there is no need to help and work together.

I really think that is what it comes down to.
    You can't *expect* help when help is not needed and the other person doesn't require it himself.

Open world content is such a bore in this game, I wouldn't be able to bother for anyone but myself either, especially in the maw.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-05-07 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsy View Post
    My advice? Put bare mininum damage in next time, let them deal with it, unfortunately World Content is a dog eat dog world, assume nobody is going to aid you because that's just the reality of it these days, you've gotta be an asshole in a world full of assholes just to get by.
    When all you can play as is the mercenary, you know you are no longer playing an rpg.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    It sounds passive aggressive to me. And you were honestly expecting an apology from a dude playing a video game in his spare time that probably had 0 idea u were at risk of dying. I just don't think thats realistic at all. His responses weren't ok but probably was in shock at the thought u wanted an apology from him
    It's kinda weird... How they are supposed to go on their knees and apologies for something like this.

I wonder if he does the same in the real world. If someone didn't hold up a door to him. Just walks up and "why didn't you hold up the door, huh?". My guess is no, but that's what's being asked of the strangers in this situation.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

It's kinda weird... How they are supposed to go on their knees and apologies for something like this.

I wonder if he does the same in the real world. If someone didn't hold up a door to him. Just walks up and "why didn't you hold up the door, huh?". My guess is no, but that's what's being asked of the strangers in this situation.
    "It would've been nice if you held the door open for me or got on your hands and knees to place a door stopper for me" I'd tell him to fuck off then too lol

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    LoL isnt an MMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Why is this not the case for other MMO, including old ones?

Why is WoW specifically known for being substantially worse than any other community?
    So? it's community is more toxic than wow, so it still counts.

WORSE.

He at least get to see the person not holding the door for him and thus have a lot more information compare to a stranger playing a casual portion of WOW not committing to helping him, sure he still doesn't know what is in the person's mind, but the OP lacks empathy he doesn't care either way.

This cant be real - do people REALLY think this way?

- - - Updated - - -

Worse than that, they are annoyed someone didn't go out of their way to open a door for someone, a door they are not even themselves going through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    If I had to guess (though present, I didn't game online, so I didn't experience the positive community), I'd say in the 90s, the internet & online gaming was fresh and new, so people were nicer because everyone was wide eyed, and in awe. Then people realized the internet also brought anonymity, so people could be dicks. And here we are. Probably one of the reasons a lot of folks just prefer to play solo, but of course that can also lead to the behavior you experienced since a solo player could be less likely to have a sense of community.

To quote Zed from Men in Black, "Sucks, huh".
    Nah. I was around back then. People were dicks pretty much from the start.
    The trade channel for example was ALWAYS horrible.
    tl;dr: without a guild you get the pain.