Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    The Lightbringer Minikin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,666

    [spoilers] Sylvanas' soul split

    If Uther's soul was split and then the other piece was found maybe that's the end game for Sylvanas too. That perhaps we have been dealing with the dark/evil version of her soul and the good part is out there somewhere.

    So. IF this is true. AND. IF she finds out that the jailer is holding that good part hostage all this time and turns on him (assuming she can)

    Would you as a player consider that reason for redepemtion after all that's happened?
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Sanguinerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    3,421
    What I got from that cinematic was that Uthers soul only split because he asked the Light to save it just before he died.

    But IF what you say is true, it wouldn't redeem her in my eyes no.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer Minikin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    What I got from that cinematic was that Uthers soul only split because he asked the Light to save it just before he died.

    But IF what you say is true, it wouldn't redeem her in my eyes no.
    Ah I was more pointing towards the quest on the PTR for the other half of his soul
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

  4. #4
    Warchief Freedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,131
    That would be exceedingly bad writing. Therefore it most likely will happen. I mean we already have edgy Anduin, so... I originally thought I would stop paying attention to WoW if Anduin ever went bad, but, dammit, it's a train wreck, one I've been paying attention to for far too long. You don't just watch a trainwreck of a story and stop when it's getting even more interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    If Uther's soul was split and then the other piece was found maybe that's the end game for Sylvanas too. That perhaps we have been dealing with the dark/evil version of her soul and the good part is out there somewhere.

    So. IF this is true. AND. IF she finds out that the jailer is holding that good part hostage all this time and turns on him (assuming she can)

    Would you as a player consider that reason for redepemtion after all that's happened?
    Interesting. The Soul split theory had already been brought up with the Bastion Afterlives, but the whole "it was the light" thing killed that interpretation, but this new reveal brings it back on track. If the Afterlives was meant to introduce the idea of the soul-split, I think didn't really do it on a clear manner, mm.

    Regardless, of the souls we have seen on the PTR, none of them seem to specifically point to Sylvanas -although there are a lot of unnamed ones-

    The Betrayed Father
    The Blood-Queen
    The Grand Magister
    The Guardian of Naxxramas
    The Archmagus Mentor
    The Golden King
    The Holy Lifebringer
    Many Forgotten Victims
    The idea that there's another fragment of Sylvanas soul opens some possibilities, but I don't think it necessarily would lead to a redemption. Could even be the more pedestrian "evil" Sylvanas dies, but the other part of her gets to rest in the afterlife so it's bittersweet, to the soul split killing "evil" Sylvanas, or a forced merging that only makes things worse.

    Honestly, so far the idea that there's a "not as bad" remnant of Sylvanas makes easier to believe the Sylvanas we know might truly be gone.

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer Minikin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,666
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    Interesting. The Soul split theory had already been brought up with the Bastion Afterlives, but the whole "it was the light" thing killed that interpretation, but this new reveal brings it back on track. If the Afterlives was meant to introduce the idea of the soul-split, I think didn't really do it on a clear manner, mm.

    Regardless, of the souls we have seen on the PTR, none of them seem to specifically point to Sylvanas -although there are a lot of unnamed ones-



    The idea that there's another fragment of Sylvanas soul opens some possibilities, but I don't think it necessarily would lead to a redemption. Could even be the more pedestrian "evil" Sylvanas dies, but the other part of her gets to rest in the afterlife so it's bittersweet, to the soul split killing "evil" Sylvanas, or a forced merging that only makes things worse.

    Honestly, so far the idea that there's a "not as bad" remnant of Sylvanas makes easier to believe the Sylvanas we know might truly be gone.
    I think I can completely agree with this.

    Personally I hope they don't go this route, though I will confess that IF they do a redemption line for her (which I personally don't want) then this is the only way I'd be able to level with it. Because currently I dont see any reason why she would turn in the Jailer but for some reason I feel a redemption is coming anyway.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

  7. #7
    Isn't Uther the exception cause the light specifically intervened after he called for it?

    I doubt Sylvanus ever pleaded to be saved by the light, so there is no soul splitting in that way for her

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Over 9000! Kyphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9,136
    It would be better writing if every Night Elf she killed at Teldrassil split her soul, and she hid every fragment into an object so she could become immortal, meaning there are thousands of magically-imbued objects containing fragments of Sylvanas' split soul that must first be destroyed before she is killed. Anduin, Taelia and Bolvar must henceforth go on a quest to destroy all the objects in order to finally kill Sylvanas.

  10. #10
    "Evil Uther" isn't even evil. How fucked up of a person would Sylvanas had to have been to have such a monstrous side?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    What I got from that cinematic was that Uthers soul only split because he asked the Light to save it just before he died.

    But IF what you say is true, it wouldn't redeem her in my eyes no.
    People forget Arthas' soul was stuck inside Frostmourne while a soulless fascimile of him destroyed his home and became the world's archnemesis for a while. Then the sword gets broke, his soul gets freed, only to get chucked into the Maw by his own teacher for what his fascimile did.
    The most difficult thing for people to do is objectively look at something they don't like and be able to accept that it is not bad, that other people like it, and if it was changed to the way they'd like it that other people would not like it and want it changed back. The second most is to receive something they didn't want or ask for and be grateful for it, not immediately demand what they wanted instead.

  12. #12
    She’ll get some type of redemption no matter what. As a living soul, she was good, died defending her people. She was evil only after Arthas stuck it to her and brought her back. She’ll be judged accordingly, as she was while living. Not my theory but heard this and thought it to be very possible.

  13. #13
    It's unfathomably cheap and satisfies no one. No one who wants to off Sylvanas would care about a cop out twenty years in and nobody who's enjoyed the character in her WoW/TFT tenure will be enthused about this having been a 'fake' incapable of making her own decisions.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer Minikin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    It would be better writing if every Night Elf she killed at Teldrassil split her soul, and she hid every fragment into an object so she could become immortal, meaning there are thousands of magically-imbued objects containing fragments of Sylvanas' split soul that must first be destroyed before she is killed. Anduin, Taelia and Bolvar must henceforth go on a quest to destroy all the objects in order to finally kill Sylvanas.
    AVVVVVVVVVAAADDAAAAAA KEDDDDAAAAAAVVVV---------------ashes?
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

  15. #15
    Over 9000! Kyphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    9,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    AVVVVVVVVVAAADDAAAAAA KEDDDDAAAAAAVVVV---------------ashes?
    NYUUUUUUHHAAAHH!

    Anduin... the boy who lived.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    AVVVVVVVVVAAADDAAAAAA KEDDDDAAAAAAVVVV---------------ashes?
    Imagine trying to cast that long a spell in PvP. While yelling.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    People forget Arthas' soul was stuck inside Frostmourne while a soulless fascimile of him destroyed his home and became the world's archnemesis for a while. Then the sword gets broke, his soul gets freed, only to get chucked into the Maw by his own teacher for what his fascimile did.
    By the time he reached northrend (pre frostmourne) he had already become evil. He hired a bunch of mercenaries to destroy his own ships, then tricked his soldiers into killing them so no one could go back home like they had been ordered to by his father. He was progressively becoming more and more unhinged and willing to kill those who had done nothing wrong (the mercenaries he hired), lie, and even ignores muradin's warning about Frostmourne once they find the blade. He knows it's cursed, he simply doesn't care.

    This is of course ignoring the Stratholme incident which is a giant gray question mark for morality, really depends on your point of view there. I'd argue he had already become evil before Frostmourne actually stole his soul however.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    By the time he reached northrend (pre frostmourne) he had already become evil. He hired a bunch of mercenaries to destroy his own ships, then tricked his soldiers into killing them so no one could go back home like they had been ordered to by his father. He was progressively becoming more and more unhinged and willing to kill those who had done nothing wrong (the mercenaries he hired), lie, and even ignores muradin's warning about Frostmourne once they find the blade. He knows it's cursed, he simply doesn't care.

    This is of course ignoring the Stratholme incident which is a giant gray question mark for morality, really depends on your point of view there. I'd argue he had already become evil before Frostmourne actually stole his soul however.
    Mercenaries were trolls and ogers. Killing them is pretty much litteraly their daily job. Stratholm was the only good option. The chaotic evil option was leaving it and going back to the senile king to get back his title and fuck up the war effort. Arthas's last sane words before taking frostmourne was that he was ready to damn himself to save his people. NOBODY (except perhaps mega retard Medhiv) could have guessed that the cursed sword Arthas heard about by pure luck meeting Muradin was a trap from his enemy.
    He was just determined to do everything he could to save his people and his land even by sacrificing himself. While Uther was just concerned about himself.
    Last edited by Tarba; 2021-05-01 at 05:23 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    It's unfathomably cheap and satisfies no one. No one who wants to off Sylvanas would care about a cop out twenty years in and nobody who's enjoyed the character in her WoW/TFT tenure will be enthused about this having been a 'fake' incapable of making her own decisions.
    A testament to Blizzard, having such passionate and polarized groups, yet somehow being able to please absolutely nobody.

  20. #20
    But the uther fragments have all been relatively normal. The one on azeroth was still chill, and the one in the shadowlands was slightly angrier at Arthas. But for all we know, the only reason this one was saltier, is because he was given a way to vent his issues, while the azeroth one had to deal with being unable to do anything about arthas. "Evil Uther" joined a bunch of freedom fighters against a cult that wiped people's memories, that unfortunately ended up being pawns of the jailor...and once he realized that, he switched back.

    Unlike Sylvanas who's clearly out to destroy the universe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •