Weird artifact screen

Hi there.

So my issue:
    I own a i5 4690k, oced to 4.5ghz (2.9v), cooler is a 212 evo
    asrock z97m anniversary
    asus r9 270x 2gb
    dual monitor, but 1 is plugged to gpu by vga-dvi adapter, other is plugged to mobo using igpu
    16gb ddr3
    Can't recall psu's brand, but it's not a white brand and it's a 550w bronze.
    2 ssd(120gb booting windows, 500gb games, 1 hdd (1tb storage).

For the past 2-3 monts I've been dealing with random freezes. I'm casually playing wow, nothing intensive (moving around in oribos, checking items on a vendor), and sudenly I'm greeted with an artifact screen on the monitor running the game (the one plugged in to the gpu). The other monitor shows what it had (usually discord or chrome). At this point the computer is frozen so I'm forced to reset.
    Sometimes after resetting computer won't post, I need to either turn off the psu for 10-15 min and hope it boots or clear CMOS for 2-3 min, resetting my cpu oc and (usually) letting me boot.
    Initially I though it was the cpu OC, but I have this setup since 2016, OCed the cpu since I got it, at the time 4.7ghz with less voltage than what I'm using. Since I thought it was the cpu OC I've been dialing down the mhz + upping a bit the voltage, hoping it would stop freezing (well it didn't).
    CPU temps while gaming are in the 50ºc-60ºc, never reaches 70ºc. Idle temps 23-41(minor cpu usage spikes).
    Gpu temps never go above 55ºc (even changed thermal paste a month ago, so even better temps atm). Idle temp 28-30ºc
    I use msi affterburner's overlay to check on temps, % of cpu/gpu usage, ram usage and gpu fan speed (sometimes msi afterburner likes to turn on the "auto" option in the fan speed section, locking it to 20% at all times).
    I have no other components that I could replace to test, the problem is really inconsistent (I had weeks with no problems, where I think the issue is gone, only to be hit with it 2 times in the next day).
    Pc is cleared of dust, as well as gpu and the 212 evo + any fan on the tower.
    Don't really remember if I had any freeze while playing anything else, atm I'm mostly playing wow, but 99% sure it never froze while just browsing chrome or seeing a youtube video or watching a stream.
    Last edited by WarBringerPT; 2021-05-01 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    Hi there.

So my issue:
    I own a i5 4690k, oced to 4.5ghz (2.9v), cooler is a 212 evo
    asrock z97m anniversary
    asus r9 270x 2gb
    dual monitor, but 1 is plugged to gpu by vga-dvi adapter, other is plugged to mobo using igpu
    16gb ddr3
    Can't recall psu's brand, but it's not a white brand and it's a 550w bronze.
    Your issues sounds like the exact same issues i had before replacing my PSU a few years ago. Does the freezing more highly likely to happen when the computer was just recently turned on from a cold boot too?

It's probably your GPU on it's last legs.

You literally could not pick a worse time to buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    Your issues sounds like the exact same issues i had before replacing my PSU a few years ago. Does the freezing more highly likely to happen when the computer was just recently turned on from a cold boot too?
    No, on the contrary, it's after quite some time, a few hours playing. Ever since I created this topic it has not occured again, it's that random.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    It's probably your GPU on it's last legs.

You literally could not pick a worse time to buy a new one.
    gpu temps are fine, stress testing it does not crash, but I srsly hope it isn't the gpu.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, on the contrary, it's after quite some time, a few hours playing. Ever since I created this topic it has not occured again, it's that random.

gpu temps are fine, stress testing it does not crash, but I srsly hope it isn't the gpu.
    Check GPU memory temps too if possible

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Check GPU memory temps too if possible
    How do I get those temps? Msi afterburner doesn't show that temp.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do I get those temps? Msi afterburner doesn't show that temp.
    HWinfo should show it

HWinfo should show it
    Nope, only temps it shows is gpu temp, like for example, wow in background running at 8fps 43ºc).
    It also shows vrm temps, 52ºc. No memory temps, prolly it doesn't show on this "old" gpu.
    It's like I said, it's random when it happens, hasn't happened since I created this post, but will most likely happen in the near future. If it ends up being the gpu, welp, I'l use it till it's dead, no way of buying a new one atm.

Edit. Welp, 2 hours later...
    https://imgur.com/a/Y9EpRYO
    Was watching a video on secondary monitor (plugged in to mobo using igpu) while lvling an alt in the maw, killing quest mobs. Nothing out of the ordinary. Spent all day either idling ingame or doing m+ keys, all good. But leveling an alt, god forbid...
    Last edited by WarBringerPT; 2021-05-05 at 02:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, only temps it shows is gpu temp, like for example, wow in background running at 8fps 43ºc).
    It also shows vrm temps, 52ºc. No memory temps, prolly it doesn't show on this "old" gpu.
    It should show up

Here's a picture from mine, you'd be interested in GPU memory junction temp.

That said, it would just be to rule out a dying GPU, if it really is just completely random, you might be looking at a PSU problem instead, or perhaps bad drivers

It should show up

Here's a picture from mine, you'd be interested in GPU memory junction temp.

That said, it would just be to rule out a dying GPU, if it really is just completely random, you might be looking at a PSU problem instead, or perhaps bad drivers
    Nope, In a few hours I'll send a picture of what mine shows.
    A PSU problem, won't rule anything atm, but wouldn't it create more problems when stressing the computer?
    Drivers are up to date, even installed yesterday new ones. This problem has been occuring for a few months, so some updates have been installed since then and the issue persists. Never did a clean uninstall because I never thought of bad drivers being the issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, In a few hours I'll send a picture of what mine shows.
    A PSU problem, won't rule anything atm, but wouldn't it create more problems when stressing the computer?
    Maybe. Maybe not. Depends how it's bad

Drivers are up to date, even installed yesterday new ones. This problem has been occuring for a few months, so some updates have been installed since then and the issue persists. Never did a clean uninstall because I never thought of bad drivers being the issue.
    There's never anything wrong with doing a clean windows install, so might as well if you have the time

Here's what hwinfo shows me.
    Doing a clean windows install, hm I guess I could also do that in the near future, last one was in september...

Set CPU back to standard speed and voltage and if you have no problems for a month then you'll know it was the OC.

I've had stable OC for years and then had occasional crashes, it can happen as hardware starts to age.

If you reduced the clock slightly but also increased voltage at same time you may not make it any more stable... if it runs 99.9% OK then try just reducing the clock speed a bit but don't increase the voltage.

10+ Year Old Account
    [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/lQOP0iD.png[IMG]
    Here's what hwinfo shows me.
    Doing a clean windows install, hm I guess I could also do that in the near future, last one was in september...
    Yeah, what HWiNFO can show depends on the GPU, looking at the GPU VRM temps it looks fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomesized View Post
    Set CPU back to standard speed and voltage and if you have no problems for a month then you'll know it was the OC.

I've had stable OC for years and then had occasional crashes, it can happen as hardware starts to age.

If you reduced the clock slightly but also increased voltage at same time you may not make it any more stable... if it runs 99.9% OK then try just reducing the clock speed a bit but don't increase the voltage.
    I can't, the performance loss is far 2 big when raiding x| Could reduce a little bit the speed and try I guess.

Try reducing it in 100Mhz steps each time it crashes over the next few weeks and see how that goes, hopefully you'll get it stable. If still no luck then could just be capacitors on the motherboard or in the PSU have aged and become a little less stable.

Could also be worth trying another CPU, check what the highest performance CPU that your board can handle is and then see what used prices are like on ebay, you might get a cheap upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomesized View Post
    Try reducing it in 100Mhz steps each time it crashes over the next few weeks and see how that goes, hopefully you'll get it stable. If still no luck then could just be capacitors on the motherboard or in the PSU have aged and become a little less stable.

Could also be worth trying another CPU, check what the highest performance CPU that your board can handle is and then see what used prices are like on ebay, you might get a cheap upgrade.
    yeah, used cpus atm are a no go, it's a 4th gen intel cpu, only upgrade would be a 4790k, and that one used is at the same price as a new ryzen.
    Would have to buy mobo + ddr4 as well, but that's in the future...
    My suspicion is something wrong about the gpu, due to the fact that only 1 monitor shows the artifacts (the one plugged to gpu) while the one plugged to igpu in the mobo is showing the image just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Honestly, it’s more likely a weird conflict because you’re using the igpu and gpu at the same time.
    Oh no, I've been using this setup for years now. Over 4 years that I'm using bot gpu and igpu.
    Last timed I formatted was in September last year, problems started in December/January.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Which doesn’t preclude the issue being the usage of two different gpus. It’s one of those things where it can work perfectly 99.9% of the time, but some weird conflict happens when using certain software. Have you thought about just using the discrete GPU? Another dongle wouldn’t be super expensive and you’ll need them anyway if you get a new gpu.
    Can't, both monitors are VGA (yeah I know, old as hell, but they work just fine). GPU one is connected through a vga-dvi adapter, onboard vga.
    I really don't want to lose my dual-monitor setup to test something that is happening randomly (atm).
    I'll eventually clean install windows to check if it's anything software-related, if it keeps happening welp, now's not the best time to buy a gpu...