Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the biggest one: I Will Always Love You was Dolly Parton's song until Whitney Houston got her hands on it.

This ought to help this thread. I could list them all out but it's more fun to listen to the differences.

A few I noticed weren't in the video:
    - The Sound of Silence covered by Disturbed, original by Simon and Garfunkel
    - Wagon Wheel covered by Darius Rucker, original by Old Crow Medicine Show
    - Holy Diver covered by Killswitch Engage, original by Dio
    - Bad Company covered by Five Finger Death Punch, original by Bad Company
    - Imagine covered by A Perfect Circle, original by John Lennon
    - Fly Like an Eagle by Seal, original by Steve Miller Band
    - With a Little Help from My Friends by Joe Cocker, originally by The Beatles
    Last edited by Penguirrel; 2021-05-02 at 11:36 AM.

Weezer have done a version of Teenage Dirtbag??? That's news to me.

Edit: found a version on youtube with like 100k views... while Wheatus's has close to 200 million?

Also the same thing for 'I write sins not tragedies'... that wasn't made famous by Fallout Boy at all.. this list is awful
    Last edited by Netherling; 2021-05-02 at 11:29 AM.

Yeah, I agree with many posters here. So i'll go ahead and mention a song that, currently many people wrongfully credit a cover as being the original song

Mad World - Original: Tears for Fears / Cover: Gary Jules

Also, some new songs that sampled older songs. People associate the sample as being original. This happens really often in pop/electronic music.

Original: Better Off Alone - Alice Deejay / Sampled in: David Guetta - Play Hard ft. Ne-Yo, Akon
    One of the biggest offenders has to be the composer John Williams. The Star Wars and Harry Potter scores are a rip off of many many many other composers

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I like how you have "Made Famous" written as if they weren't covered because they were already famous.

One People often fuck up is Hurt by Nine Inch Nails which was covered by Johnny Cash, not the other way around.

Also most of Tears for Fears hit songs were covered by others, Shout, Mad World, Everybody wants to rule the World, etc.

Sweet Dreams was also another cover Marilyn Manson did. Originally by the fantastic Eurhythmics.
    Yeah, the only song so far I think fits this bill is Hurt.

NiN is a fameous band, but is very niché to who enjoys the music, so many songs they do aren't really known outside the listeners i've noticed.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Don't know most of the songs in the OP's list, but I can think of at least 2 songs where I believe the cover is more well-known than the original.

Disturbed's cover of Sound of Silence being one of them and Manfred Mann's cover of Blinded by the Light being the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

I found some more I didn't know:

- Mickey by Toni Basil, original by Racey and titled "Kitty"
    - Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Karnes, original by Jackie DeShannon
    - I Think We're Alone Now by Tiffany, original by Tommy James and the Shondells
    - Wild Thing by The Troggs, original by The Wild Ones
    - Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler, original by Roger Whittaker
    - Whatta Man by Salt-N-Pepa and Vogue, original by Linda Lyndell
    - Dancing in the Moonlight by Toploader, original by Boffalongo
    - Respect by Aretha Franklin, original by Otis Redding
    - It's All Coming Back to Me by Celine Dion, original by Pandora's Box
    - Dancing on My Own by Calum Scott, original by Robyn

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    Disturbed's cover of Sound of Silence being one of them
    I highly disagree with this, since Simon and Garfunkel's version is still the one used more often in Media.

From the songs I do know, some do come as a surprise. Like "Don't turn around" or "Torn". Interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I highly disagree with this, since Simon and Garfunkel's version is still the one used more often in Media.
    Yeah, I had no clue Disturbed did a cover. Or if I did, I promptly forgot after listening to it.

Freddie's Dead by Fishbone. Originally by Curtis Mayfield.

It was the first song I ever heard by them and it turned me into a fan.

Didn't realize it was a cover for years until I was told I was a poser by Kyle Baker and Evan Dorkin's Critics At Large comic.

“I love rock and roll made famous by brittney spears” thats almost as bad as hearing about kids legit believing fortnite created Master Chief and Deadpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    “I love rock and roll made famous by brittney spears” thats almost as bad as hearing about kids legit believing fortnite created Master Chief and Deadpool.
    Yeah this one was rough to read

Couple songs that I had no idea were covers. It is pretty common tho.

- Summer breeze by Type o Negative.
    - I'm Your Boogieman by White/Rob Zombie.
    - Renegades of Funk by Rage against the machine.
    - Listen to Your Heart by D.H.T.

I didn't bother posting the original artists. People can always look it up.
    Last edited by Icelin; 2021-05-02 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    • Teenage Dirtbag - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Wheatus MADE FAMOUS BY Weezer
    • I Write Sins Not Tragedies - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Panic! at the Disco MADE FAMOUS BY Fall Out Boy
    • Stacy’s Mom - ORIGINALLY RECORDED BY Fountains Of Wayne MADE FAMOUS BY Bowling For Soup
    Dunno about the rest but these three are a hundred times more popular by the original artist. The "made famous by" are lowkey covers and tributes, far away from what made them famous.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguirrel View Post
    This ought to help this thread. I could list them all out but it's more fun to listen to the differences.

A few I noticed weren't in the video:

- Holy Diver covered by Killswitch Engage, original by Dio
    Dude, I am sure less people even know what the hell Killswitch Engage is than who did Holy Diver. Sheesh.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Depressing thread... I mean the originals were huge hits... I've no idea who half of these orher later groups/singers are.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the biggest one: I Will Always Love You was Dolly Parton's song until Whitney Houston got her hands on it.
    Second to that I'd also include Bang Bang which is originally a Cher song, but many know it from Nancy Sinatra.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Depressing thread... I mean the originals were huge hits... I've no idea who half of these orher later groups/singers are.
    Not just huge hits in some of these suggestions by posters, but still actively played in radios etc.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Many were, but even if Prince is more famous than Sinead O'Conner I still think one can say she made "Nothing Compares 2 U" famous.
    And in some cases the original list seems plain wrong (I recall Cat's in the Cradle covered by Ugly Kid Joe not by Cat Stevens) or confusing (combining the covers of Joan Jett & Blackheats vs Britney Spears of 'I love rock and roll').

And sometimes we associate a song with an artist even though they didn't really make it famous, like Presley and his cover of "Hound Dog".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I was watching some videos on YouTube discussing songs that people didn't know were actually covers of other artist's songs. How many of these did you know were covers? I was really shocked on quite a few of them. You have any you could add to the list?
    This list offends me.
    Don't trust Youtube for factual information.
    The reason you were shocked is that so much of this is still wrong.
    Several songs are popular misattibutions. ('Don't leave me this way', 'Horse with no name', 'Cats in the cradle', etc).
    Hell - this list don't even have the correct title for STP's 'Creep'

Some of these are barely covers - like 'Girls just want to have fun' - only had a non-charting demo recording before Cyndi Lauper flipped the gender viewpoint and made it a hit.

And the 'made famous' for many other songs shows a zoomer PoV who has never listened to music before 2005.

Almost every listing is wrong or misleading in some way.