10+ Year Old Account

Quiz: Guess the Game by its Binary Reviews

Opinions are subjective, which is why averages are often more useful than individuals. But there's more to life than "8.4 out of 10".

I picked ten games, and for each, went to Metacritic and found one of the best reviews (10/10) and one of the worst reviews (usually a 0/10) because that's how opinions seem to work sometimes. I then removed some proper nouns (such as the name of the game or its prequel/sequel, its creator, its publisher, or a main character's name) that would give too much away, but left in a few things that will make some games easier for some people to guess than others. I left in titles the game was being compared to, for example.

And, yes, I left in every spelling error and grammatical mistake.

How many can you guess with the remaining clues only?

Answers posted tomorrow. In the past, people have posted non-spoilery guesses like "I know #3 #7 and #10 but that's it" or "I know 7/10 for sure" or covered their answers up with spoiler tags, which I thought was the right way to go. I'd ask that you continue that so other people can participate if they wan to.

1) This game got a 9.2
    BEST
    an atmospheric and revolutionary game that surpasses every other game within the survival horror genre ti'll this day.
    My only complaint about [redacted] is the lack of a quick select for weapons and items.(instead of pausing for the inventory)
    but it's all because of the gamecube controller's limitations.
    WORST
    Saddler's best character is sure he could survive, has regeneration and high strength, and to bring him back in the sequel, he could be a minor antagonist in other games.

2) This game got a 2.4
    BEST
    [redacted] is the mot ambitious RGB game of the last year. With massive boss fights or something
    WORST
    False advertising, false advertising, and false advertising. This game is built around In App Purchases. DO NOT SUPPORT THIS GAME.

3) This game got a 4.1
    BEST
    [redacted] has significant improvement over its predecessor. It has an improved UI, which is more user friendly. Its graphic is superb and oustanding. On a technical side, the optimization is perfect, the game is running extremely smoothly. The game play elements also bring the simulation of life to a new level. It has a lot of elements added, and offers a great variety of game play choices for players. Also, it is very realistic, which is an outstanding life simulator.
    WORST
    I played with the demo, and I hoped that it would be a half decent game. Even after seeing all the lists upon lists of features that wouldn't be added into the game, I still held out hope that this [redacted] game would be decent enough to warrant the price tag. I quickly realized how foolish I was in holding onto that hope. This game is a joke to the series, with so many missing features, it becomes boring far too quickly. It feels like a [redacted] game, there's no doubt about that, but it only feels like a half assed one at that. I'm not going to be exploring this game any further, especially when [redacted] brings out the DLC. What really hurts, is the fact that [redacted] has been one of my favorite series, and I can do nothing but watch as it's treated like **** by [redacted].

4) This game got a 6.5
    BEST
    Easily one of the best multiplayer first person shooters. Vastly better than Team Fortress 2, which i used to play in the past.
    WORST
    awful matchmaking, next to zero support from the "small indie" dev team in 2 years, awful balance, awful queues for anything that isn't boring to play, awful map design for half of the gamemode available, next to zero pve content, awful

5) This game got a 3.1
    BEST
    It´s an awesome game for who likes games as Resident Evil, Silent Hill or Siren. The graphics are great, the voice acting is good and the system in which you is responsible for [redacted] but uses her to solve puzzles or for other things is very interesting, as the contamination system is. for a $9.99 game, my score is 10. I didn't get those bad reviews, [redacted] is a great game, much better than some disc games...For me, it´s fun, scary and innovator.
    WORST
    A waste of time and money. It only cost one euro and still I think I paid too much. Graphics so bad they are almost dizzy and some embarrassing controls, seriously, the game could have been simply entertaining but it has too many glitches to take any advantage of it. Totally out of place.

6) This game got a 8.1
    BEST
    A superb expansion to an even better game! For those of you who say that [redacted] is just a massive grind fest, no wonder you hate the game! Best way to level is to quest, group up with your pals, and do some dungeons, this is where the "[redacted]" really shines. This game IS NOT a repeat of past expansions. There are so many new quests from hopping on a mammoth and goring a boss to taking flight in an air plane and getting into dog fights with gargoyles. Basically, the people who give this a low score know nothing about lore. People who give this a hi score are the ones that read the quests, know there lore, and is wondering what is going to happen next in one of the greatest and detailed stories ever, [redacted]. (I'd like to see one of those 0 rating people tell me who and where [redacted] is and where he came from, and how he came to be evil). Also, the graphics are upgraded by alot. Better textures and lighting and effects. Those of you still playing on the same system during the release of the original game are not going to see an upgrade.
    WORST
    I'm suprised no one has really acknowledged it...but the overall principal of [redacted] that has become almost its foundation following the first six months after its initial release is Gold and Gear. I hardly see any real gameplay beyond constant chatter of individuals seeking one or the other of the aforementioned. Most peolpe sit in capital cities stagnant looking to Buy or Sell. Effectively [redacted] has become a virtual eBay.

7) This game got a 0.2
    BEST
    People love to hate on [redacted]. It is what the cool kids do. Thus, 885 people have chosen to leave a negative review while those of us who enjoy the game just kind of play and chill out a little bit. The game is fine. MUT has simplified the UI and the solos in order to make the completion of them feel possible. In the past, they had a situation where there were hundreds of solos and you felt buried in them. The Yard is a forward-thinking and fun arcade mode built by the same team that built Superstar KO. You could argue that The Yard makes this worth purchasing by itself. I have not played the story mode or franchise mode. Other people reviewed those though. In general, man defense and zone defense feel fine to me. I will say that it is hard to review the game on August 30 because you need to run through a cycle of people with websites finding the holes in the coding and exploiting them. Ultimately, an iteration of [redacted] is judged by how well a dev team does this. Considering that this game was developed with almost everyone working from home (Tiburon is in Orlando, FL), it is hard to say they didn't do a good job.
    WORST
    This game is basically [redacted] with updated rosters, it's a buggy, lazy rehash. The fact that [redacted] would release something like this to people who have supported this franchise for years is a slap in the face. They literally think we are idiots, and if their continued millions of profit year over year selling [redacted] is any indication; maybe we are? This once great company has turned into something vile that will almost certainly implode upon itself in the future, for them its all about making that next quarterly investor report look good, the people in charge have no concern about the future health of the company as they will all be held aloft buy glistening golden parachutes when it finally falls apart.

8) This game got a 8.5
    BEST
    Alright, this is everything that [redacted] isn't. It's an interesting concept. It's witty. The writing is fun. The voice acting is entertaining. Characters show up that actually make sense, and interact with each other. Best of all, if you've ever played in a real tabletop RPG campaign, you'll see an awful lot of that going on here. It's a work of art. Bonus points for one really great sequence that I won't mention to avoid spoilers. If you like [redacted] and RPGs, this is a must play.
    WORST
    (there weren't any)

9) This game got a 8.5
    BEST
    As a fan of the original [redacted], I found this entry to be incredibly immersive and true to the film, even inspirational in a way that [redacted] would have been extremely proud. This is certainly not a game for people with ADD or compulsive disorders (i.e. people who enjoy CoD, Halo and the like) and I can understand why they would feel disappointed. It's because they were expecting an FPS and move around too much, too fast and probably die incessantly as a consequence. For those of us that like to immerse ourself in a world, take a long Sunday drive, and take in the little details, this game is exactly what we've been looking for. And the fact that it does this while staying so true to [redacted] form is very impressive.
    WORST
    Horrible game....dunno what everyone else played. First off the game was really fun but by the time I finished it I was bores out of my mind. It the same run and hide rinse and repeat over and over again for hours. When you die you think "oh well lets try a different approach," nope doesn't work here. I also had a pretty glitchy gameplay experience where the [redacted] would be on the other side of the map while I was hiding and run directly toward my hiding spot and kill me without me moving and with all of the extra features turned off. This happens constantly and kept me from progressing for hours. Waste of 40 bucks for an overrated, overhyped game.

10) This game got a 9.0
    BEST
    Best multiplayer game! EVER!
    (EDITOR'S NOTE: Yes, that is the entire review, yes, I think that's a good enough clue)
    WORST
    Nope. How is this game so highly regarded when it's just a failure of an FPS?

The weapons are improperly balanced, the game-play was absolutely terrible, and everything about this game just has "overrated" all over it.

• 1. Resident Evil.
    • 2. Raid Shadow Legends.
    • 3. Sounds like a kickstarter or steam early access "simulator" game. No idea.
    • 4. Hm... it's probably not Overwatch but that's the only guess I've got.
    • 5. No idea.
    • 6. The Secret World (did it get box expansions, though?).
    • 7. Fighting game but too vague to narrow down.
    • 8. CRPG but too vague to narrow down.
    • 9. Alien Isolation.
    • 10. No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I cheated and looked it up because it's DEFINITELY not TSW. It never had any expansions, and while I think you may be on planes (a misnomer in this context) for a bit you're never on a mammoth (I don't think they exist in TSW/SWL at all).

10+ Year Old Account
    • 1. Resident Evil.
    • 2. Raid Shadow Legends.
    • 3. Sounds like a kickstarter or steam early access "simulator" game. No idea.
    • 4. Hm... it's probably not Overwatch but that's the only guess I've got.
    • 5. No idea.
    • 7. Fighting game but too vague to narrow down.
    • 9. Alien Isolation.
    • 10. No idea.
    I agree with most of these, but would change/add:
    4. Evolve
    6. Wrath of the Lich King
    7. Either a Madden or FIFA game

Quote Originally Posted by Floofi View Post
    I assume MUT is the Madden version of FUT

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, and my sister-in-law had me half convinced this was too hard.

• 1. Resident Evil.
    You gotta be more specific. There's a lot of them. Unless you meant "the first one" then no.

I was curious and looked it up. You are wrong about the genre. Too bad as well, since I was really curious and now I'm bummed that it's just that..
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    You gotta be more specific. There's a lot of them. Unless you meant "the first one" then no.
    Could that be Resident Evil 4? The poor inventory system... I recall that being a frustrating feature when I played that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Floofi View Post
    I agree with most of these, but would change/add:
    4. Evolve
    6. Wrath of the Lich King
    And yeah, 6. has to be the Wrath of the Lich King expansion.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2021-05-07 at 11:06 PM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    So here are the answers (you got most of them)"

1) Resident Evil 4........................................................................
    2) Raid Shadow Legends (blatantly paid-for 10/10 review right there)
    3) The Sims 4.............................................................................
    4) Overwatch..............................................................................
    5) Amy.......................................................................................
    6) Wrath of the Lich King..............................................................
    7) Madden 21..............................................................................
    8) Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep............................................
    9) Alien: Isolation........................................................................
    10) Goldeney 64..........................................................................

Hope you had fun

Goldeneye is Halo for slightly older people. If you were at a certain age when it came out, then you would 100 percent agree with the review, if not? Well...Halo and whatever heavily overshadowed it later on.
    Last edited by Dakhath; 2021-05-09 at 05:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    .Halo and whatever heavily overshadowed it later on.
    Halo, even the first one, was probably the better flat-out shooter. Goldeneye64 added special challenges with optional objectives which I felt made it the better game. However, both were great and massively influential.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know.. I had actually hoped it was a thread about translating articles written in binary code..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..