Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The whole "get woke, go broke" thing is basically just an empty conspiracy theory.

At best, shitty content doesn't find an audience. Most of the allegations of "going woke" when applied to content that is considered "good" according to critic reviews, however, there is no "going broke" in the first place.

The whole stupid hashtag revolves around trying to pretend that bad movies failed because of social justice messaging, rather than just by virtue of being bad movies. And they have to stick their fingers in their ears to avoid having to explain why plenty of "woke" films break the bank on a regular basis, completely refuting the central claim.
    The argument is that the movie is bad because the screenwriters are so focused on virtue signaling and "sending a message" they kinda forget there's supposed to be a plot. The "wokeness" is intentionally in your face, in case you might miss it.

A good "woke" film simply won't feel like a woke film because it doesn't do that. In fact, I'd argue that the only thing that would make them woke is the subject matter, but otherwise isn't presented as such. Instead simply presenting a believable reality as just is, from a perspective that is unique. A (probably bad) example might be Wonder Woman being considered a movie about female empowerment, but the focus wasn't on her being a woman, the focus was on her training, culture, and heritage conflicting with a WW2 reality (classic hero's journey arch). A bad, "woke" Wonder Woman movie would have spent a lot of time going "Ugh. MEN, am I right?" Which I believe is what happened to that Batwoman TV Show, although I never watched it.

We should also probably clarify that "get woke, go broke" only really applies to subject matter and source material that is intentionally altered to be more PC. The phrase does not apply to net-new film creations with stories that have no other history or fanbase applied to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post

We should also probably clarify that "get woke, go broke" only really applies to subject matter and source material that is intentionally altered to be more PC. The phrase does not apply to net-new film creations with stories that have no other history or fanbase applied to them.
    People here were saying "Get Woke, Go broke" about Captain Marvel...which was a Billion dollar film...

Most of the new posts are borderline off topic (Or full on attempts to derail this) so I am closing this. Maybe closer to release we can have a new thread that actually contains discussion about the topic.