View Poll Results: Would you play a WoW without gimmicks?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

110 78.57%
  • No

22 15.71%
  • Other

8 5.71%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The only thing i don't like about the game from legion onwards is that player performance is tied to some convoluted, useless and temporary system that's there only because they cannot give us new talents and spells every expansion, so they make us farm for power and then take everything away.

For the rest i just like the gear treadmill etc. If they find a system so we can get new stuff but not be able to use everything i'd be more than fine.
    You tried, and you failed. What have you learned? That's better not to try at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    Uhh....Cata introduced EK + Kalimdor Flying, Worgen (New race) have unique transformation mechanics, Archeology introduced...oh and Battle Pets was also introduced in Cataclysm.

Those are all "Gimmicks" but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    they aren't. They added to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    The only thing i don't like about the game from legion onwards is that player performance is tied to some convoluted, useless and temporary system that's there only because they cannot give us new talents and spells every expansion, so they make us farm for power and then take everything away.

For the rest i just like the gear treadmill etc. If they find a system so we can get new stuff but not be able to use everything i'd be more than fine.
    People generally keep coming back to a game for one of two reasons: 1. it's fun to play on its own with or without rewards or 2. You like getting the rewards. Most games have some balance of the two, but I think WoW has become too heavily skewed towards the 2nd reason. There's no open world sense of adventure anymore. Fighting mobs is a brainless task that just feels like a chore unless you're a very high end player. The social fun aspect is pretty much gone. A lot of the content is mindless, instanced treadmills. The hook for that is you get to unlock new appearances or mounts, but did you actually enjoy getting there, or did it annoy you most of the time and now it's on to the next thing?

I realize WoW has to be grindy to some degree being an mmo, but if you look at most other top games being played these days, they all have really snappy gameplay and the ability to hook a player that goes beyond chasing wardrobe fashions.

I'm skeptical that a change of content, or new scenery so to speak, could bring a lot of people back. The game is beyond needing a fresh coat of paint. They need to make a new building at this point. But, the millstone must be grinding out appropriate levels of grain because they keep slapping on that paint.
    Last edited by dwarven; 2021-05-09 at 12:29 AM.

100% yes. We never needed additional systems, just the existing systems done well. Artifact weapons were fun, garrisons were an interesting idea, corruptions were also 'unique', but I think all we want is to adventure in a cool world and explore dungeons.

A cool zone, good story, and an epic dungeon = happy players.

Imho anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Akhlys View Post
    Once upon a time, boats were full of leaks. Now, our leaks are full of boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    A cool zone
    ...instead of the Maw.
    good story
    ...as opposed to SL 'campaign'.
    and an epic dungeon
    ...as opposed to Nathria and 9.1 raid which are both just empty halls.
    = happy players.
    This kinda explains why we lot are most certainly not the 'happy' ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    People generally keep coming back to a game for one of two reasons: 1. it's fun to play on its own with or without rewards or 2. You like getting the rewards. Most games have some balance of the two, but I think WoW has become too heavily skewed towards the 2nd reason. There's no open world sense of adventure anymore. Fighting mobs is a brainless task that just feels like a chore unless you're a very high end player. The social fun aspect is pretty much gone. A lot of the content is mindless, instanced treadmills. The hook for that is you get to unlock new appearances or mounts, but did you actually enjoy getting there, or did it annoy you most of the time and now it's on to the next thing?

I realize WoW has to be grindy to some degree being an mmo, but if you look at most other top games being played these days, they all have really snappy gameplay and the ability to hook a player that goes beyond chasing wardrobe fashions.

I'm skeptical that a change of content, or new scenery so to speak, could bring a lot of people back. The game is beyond needing a fresh coat of paint. They need to make a new building at this point. But, the millstone must be grinding out appropriate levels of grain because they keep slapping on that paint.
    My biggest issue is that while stuff like the legendary weapon or covenants arr pretty good on paper as concept, but implementation is pretty bad. And if after two years you know you're just gonna lose everything, it makes many people question about why we need to farm/play for this.
    You tried, and you failed. What have you learned? That's better not to try at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    As many millions of copies they sell for each expansion, it's hard for me to see the argument that they're clearly doing something wrong. What is the evidence supporting the idea that a sizable number of people want to play the same basic game for years and years with only new zones and storylines?

I'm not crazy about some of the ways they've implementing things, but it's hard to image playing something for so long without changes.
    This really gets to the heart of it. Expansion sales are the most important thing and it's why expansions are now more or less standalone entities with different features added.

Most of the people who buy expansions clearly don't hang around for long and it's fair to conjecture from there that they don't give Blizzard a lot of feedback on forums either. The point there being that Blizzard is aware of this, plans and budgets around it, and is fine with it. If they can get people to stay an extra month or two, fine, but they've long ago acknowledged the cyclical nature of their customers and a long-sustained consistent design meta is not a requirement for success.

I very much doubt that a "gimmick-less" expansion would be all that popular in any case. I can already imagine the posts about how "Blizzard is being lazy by not offering anything that hasn't been seen before."

EDIT: I answered "yes" to the poll but that's hardly the point. What's working here is something entirely different.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-05-09 at 06:36 AM.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    oh and Battle Pets was also introduced in Cataclysm.
    Nope..

"Learnable" pets (and mounts) came in WotLK
    Pet Battle came in MoP

Neither had anything to do with Cata.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

If its fun, sure I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrage View Post
    Will new races/classes be included? If so yes, if not eeh. Probably not.
    We really don't need a new class when you have Affliction Warlocks being 25% ahead of the bottom DPS spec.

We really don't. They've shown time and again they can't balance for shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    My biggest issue is that while stuff like the legendary weapon or covenants arr pretty good on paper as concept, but implementation is pretty bad. And if after two years you know you're just gonna lose everything, it makes many people question about why we need to farm/play for this.
    Exactly, this is what I call lack of insight. Any concept that heavily roots into a gameplay only to be removed when expansion ends is bad idea. While I usually do not agree with asmon, he had some good points about it. "It's not that blizzard execution of ideas is bad, their ideas are bad."
    BfA > Wotlk > Cata > ... > WoD ~ TBC > Vanilla > ................ ? .............. > Legion > ... > Eating Dust > .... > SL
    You said corruption was great system. Can't find it and proceeds to lie again.
    Legendaries were such a great system I had them all before blizz lifted softcap

I voted Yes but when you think about it, Legion was a really good expansion and it was loaded with gimmick... so just to say, that if done right, gimmick can be fun.

It’s too late. They’ve spent so many expacs trying to always reinvent the wheel, that by now, they’ve forgotten the original round shape of said wheel

The team in charge of WoW are not capable of running a proper mmorpg, and WoW has devolved to be Diablo 3 the mmo arpg so much so that they couldn’t revert it back even if they wanted to without such whiplash from the minority of the community who love seasonal Diablo 3 WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    All they need to add is a basic system like dual classes, that one is likely coming soon.
    Hmm...? Why do you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBlade6 View Post
    I voted Yes but when you think about it, Legion was a really good expansion and it was loaded with gimmick... so just to say, that if done right, gimmick can be fun.
    Legion to ne was no different from what we have now. Classes gutted to make room for artifact powers only to get back to gutted characters when expansion ended. AP grinding to the max til they ended literally giving millions of it to people.

Legion was cool because raids were good, introduced world quests and m+, content flow was consistent and also had stuff like mage tower. Many features introduced are now baseline - so it was better because it had a lot of actual new stuff. But now you see how the actual "borrowed powers" thing is very damaging to the game core.

My read of the OP was "gimmicks" = borrowed power, so not things like classes races xmog that persist thru one expansion.

So ofc voted yes based on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    It’s too late. They’ve spent so many expacs trying to always reinvent the wheel, that by now, they’ve forgotten the original round shape of said wheel

The team in charge of WoW are not capable of running a proper mmorpg, and WoW has devolved to be Diablo 3 the mmo arpg so much so that they couldn’t revert it back even if they wanted to without such whiplash from the minority of the community who love seasonal Diablo 3 WoW
    Unfortunately, I believe this to be truth.

In other words, content like Vanilla - MoP.

Yes, 100% I'd play those and frankly wish they'd go back into the tried and true methods that made them successful instead of the endless layers of systems on top of each other to drag the game out.

Vanilla - WotLK was the peak of this game for me. Cata dropped the ball a bit, but MoP picked it back up.

If they hadn't introduced the gimmick that is WoW tokens in WoD though, I honestly would have quit the game. I've only "bought" the expansions and game time since then via token, so not a dime out of my pocket.

Yes.
    I also wouldn't mind One gimmick system for max level progression instead of the current, what three?

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Transmog is a feature, not a gimmick.

A gimmick is something that only stays for one expansion, for that expansion, and is then removed. Garrisons/Shipyards, class halls, the dumb boat, azerite, island expeditions, etc are all examples of this.

And in any case the answer should be yes. Every expansion people considered "good" released without some dumb shit to get you playing longer. Was only in WoD that they started adding gimmicks to get people to play.
    Fair enough; transmog is actually a great addition in any case, because it turns old content into new content. I don't think we're getting away from gimmicks though; ever since WOD we've had gimmick after gimmick system. My guess is this is the only way blizz can create "excitement" for new expansions without bringing back old systems. I'd rather they stepped WAY back in time and got rid of specializations and let us pick talent points again on TOP of the current system. As in, each class has a set of pvp and pve talents, but then you specialize through the bigger talent trees like in pre-cata. To me that would be a fun system that people would get excited about. Could they balance it? No, but it cant be any harder to balance than covenants, legendaries, conduits, and specs in SL. Just give us more freedom, not less.
    Check out my Ret Paladin YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/VarabenGaming

#RETPRESENT