Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

9.1 seems to be addressing the casual gearing concerns

So in 9.1 you'll be able to upgrade gear to heroic iLvls by doing casual content. It has been likened to benthic gear so most presumably a limited resource/currency that will allow you to slowly work on upgrading your gear by doing daily quests and/or world quests.

Hopefully you can earn the currency from daily heroics and LFR as well in order to breathe some life in to those forms of casual content.

Thoughts? It seems as though Blizzard have listened to the feedback from all the casuals who quit shadowlands early on.

Active Thread Warnings:

Let's drop the rolling game vs. game arguments and return to the topic of the thread concerning 9.1 and gearing.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2021-05-10 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Added Thread Warnings

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    So in 9.1 you'll be able to upgrade gear to heroic iLvls by doing casual content. It has been likened to benthic gear so most presumably a limited resource/currency that will allow you to slowly work on upgrading your gear by doing daily quests and/or world quests.

Hopefully you can earn the currency from daily heroics and LFR as well in order to breathe some life in to those forms of casual content.

Thoughts? It seems as though Blizzard have listened to the feedback from all the casuals who quit shadowlands early on.
    Article on this, or source?

Honestly, I would've been fine if Valor permitted world players to upgrade to a certain level without having to be dragged through Mythic+ and a topic that shouldn't be mentioned.

Though I will welcome a form of world progression, does not have to compete with high-end keys or heroic/mythic raiding gear.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Honestly it should just go all the way to the top, that way unlucky mythic raiders could make some use of it as well to fill out their set (without being forced of course).
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't read this. Whered you hear this? if its true I can't wait to hear people crying about forced content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Article on this, or source?

Honestly, I would've been fine if Valor permitted world players to upgrade to a certain level without having to be dragged through Mythic+ and a topic that shouldn't be mentioned.

Though I will welcome a form of world progression, does not have to compete with high-end keys or heroic/mythic raiding gear.
    The achievement requirement is obnoxious. Its one to thing to have thr world quests offer such paltry gains in the first place but to then also lock it behind ksm is fucking insulting.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

So game now have invalidated even heroic content? Great news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    The achievement requirement is obnoxious. Its one to thing to have thr world quests offer such paltry gains in the first place but to then also lock it behind ksm is fucking insulting.
    Oh, I agree fully on this. I don't mind the minimal amount of currency rewarded if that makes people feel better to be a bit more ahead by doing a bit more effort - I don't mind. It was the need for specific achievements for valor upgrades that really annoyed me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elias1337 View Post
    So game now have invalidated even heroic content? Great news.
    Eh, without WF/TF, heroic content was invalidated by the existence of covenant and PvP gear.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    what achievement requirement? Didn't see anything mentioned on forum about the ability to upgrade via currency either.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

What are you talking about OP? I don't ptr, but I've seen zero mention of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Still hoping it is true and waiting on the source/article.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still hoping it is true and waiting on the source/article.
    If it's true I'm sure their will be some dumb arbitrary restriction because other people (re:casuals) can't have nice things.
    The hammer comes down:
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Soulsobreezy have made videos about it. I didn't want to link to those because I wasn't sure if it was allowed

I think this was mentioned during the Preach interview with Ion? I'll see if I can find it in a recap.

Edit: wasn't in the Preach interview but found this German article.
    Last edited by Unlimited Power; 2021-05-07 at 02:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    If it's true I'm sure their will be some dumb arbitrary restriction because other people (re:casuals) can't have nice things.
    I don't mind if it is a little slower to upgrade than mythic+, and it stops at LFR gear/intro normal gear. I mean, that would be a lot of points to farm for so many pieces of gear if you stick to the current amount of points granted. At the current, an M+ can upgrade 3 times at the same time a world player could upgrade once if they were permitted to upgrade that is.

And yeah, sadly WoW has become a game where the world doesn't matter but only PvP, Mythic+, and raiding progression.

- - - Updated - - -

Soulsobreezy have made videos about it. I didn't want to link to those because I wasn't sure if it was allowed
    I'll sniff around for it.

Though, if you make a topic, then you are permitted to add a source. If you don't want the source to be popping out, just add it to the post as a link only.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh. The gearing issue really isn't that I can't get super high item level (I don't raid and do M+ in the 10-12 level, so... casual). It's that they fucked up the gearing curve and made it super easy to get to about 200 and then brick walled us there. In the process, they invalidated (from a gearing perspective), heroic 5s, M0, LFR, normal CN and most of the M+ to about M10 since all of those drop 200 or under.

Giving me the ability to get higher level gear now will just keep me at my relative position in relation to others who will run the heroic version of the new raid etc....

... and that's fine. I don't have any need for better gear aside from pushing keys etc. Face it, the initial rush of 'do stuff to get better gear' is all in the first patch of an expansion since it's then when you need to gain a lot of item levels. Once you've done that, it's trivial to keep up.

I think OP has understood something wrong.

Yes, there's gonna be gear that you can buy+upgrade by doing open world content, but it's definitely not gonna be heroic raid ilvl. Maybe on par with heroic gear from castle nathria, but not the next raid tier, lol.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    I think OP has understood something wrong.

Yes, there's gonna be gear that you can buy+upgrade by doing open world content, but it's definitely not gonna be heroic raid ilvl. Maybe on par with heroic gear from castle nathria, but not the next raid tier, lol.
    So its garbage not meant to provide an actual alternative but to function as ketchup for alts or returning as players
    The hammer comes down:

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    Here, I'll go ahead and link the video for the OP It's called Maw-Touched gear and it's apparently on the PTR:

Probably gonna take ages to farm the currency for it then. Everything depends how fast it ends up being
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Gear upgrades via tokens is a garbage mechanic.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Probably gonna take ages to farm the currency for it then. Everything depends how fast it ends up being
    Not just currency but also renown... Basically this is just covenant gear upgraded to 9.1 levels.

In the video, you see the streamer click to rank 15 and the red text states

Requires Renown 75 and The First Alloys Research
    among the requirements. Assuming you get 3 renown per week that translates to about 12 weeks before can get to renown 75 and we know that's not the case since renown actually drops down to 2 renown per week towards the end (without campaign questline renown). So figure a minimum of 15 weeks?

Also remember that covenant gear required a significant investment of Anima if you were going to upgrade all the pieces, so translated to 9.1, that could be the new currency to be added in the patch. Similar to how Bethnic gear required pearls to upgrade which initially was fairly limited currency.

In terms of catch-up gear, it's expected but by the time a casual gets up to "heroic" sanctum gear ilvs, most players would probably be done with AoTC Sanctum.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Eh, without WF/TF, heroic content was invalidated by the existence of covenant and PvP gear.
    Heroic dungeon content, normal raid content.

Heroic raid content is done in by the vault and +7's.