Thread: issues with ram

10+ Year Old Account

issues with ram

i am a big dummy and tried messing with settings based on results from google and fucked myself. my ram speed was running at 2133 instead of the 3200 and i tried changing the docp setting so it would run with it at 3200 and it would turn on but the monitor would just be black, not able to post or get to bios. i reset the bios by popping out the cmos battery for a bit. i checked each ram individually and they worked with 1 and 3, either single or double but they wouldnt work with modules 2 and 4. i reset the settings in bios to default afterwards and it still would not register.

ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Sapphire Radeon 11265-05-20G Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI/ DVI-D/ Dual DP OC with Backplate (UEFI) PCI-E GPU

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked 65W Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler

Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM

Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB M.2 NVME

SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III 2.5" SSD 1TB

Mushkin Source-II 1 TB SSD

Seasonic Focus GX-550, 550W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular, Fan Control in Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode

any suggestions/solutions would be appreciated. its currently working with two sticks but i would like to get the other 2 back in and functioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Did you manually set the voltages and timings? Those processors weren’t… great with ram compatibility. Dunno how much better it has gotten.
    no i didnt touch that at all.

Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try doing so. It’s possible the auto settings are causing the issue.
    im not sure which voltage settings to change and also how high to up them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post

any suggestions/solutions would be appreciated. its currently working with two sticks but i would like to get the other 2 back in and functioning.
    Will it not work with all 4 in? It sounds like you are testing 1 and 3, and then 2 and 4. If my old Asus board is anything to go off of, I can't get past POST unless Ram is installed in the suggested slots. IE if you are only running 2 sticks you should be in 1 and 3, if you try to run only 2 sticks in 2 and 4 it might not work. Go onto Asus website and find the suggest dimms to run on.

PS updating your BIOS may be a good idea as well. There is some goofiness with early BIOS version concerning AMD and Ram compatibility.

At the end of the day running your Ram in ... XMP will give you it's suggested speed 99/100 times.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2021-05-07 at 04:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ever update your bios?
    im sure i did when i first built it. i will probably have to redo that now huh. also worth noting, the other 2 sticks wont run at the 2133 mhz right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Will it not work with all 4 in? It sounds like you are testing 1 and 3, and then 2 and 4. If my old Asus board is anything to go off of, I can't get past POST unless Ram is installed in the suggested slots. IE if you are only running 2 sticks you should be in 1 and 3, if you try to run only 2 sticks in 2 and 4 it might not work. Go onto Asus website and find the suggest dimms to run on.
    i tested all 4 in at once and it just powers on but it doesnt connect with the monitor.

im sure i did when i first built it. i will probably have to redo that now huh. also worth noting, the other 2 sticks wont run at the 2133 mhz right now.

- - - Updated - - -

i tested all 4 in at once and it just powers on but it doesnt connect with the monitor.
    You got me while I was editing my post.

Update BIOS if it's been some time, there are odd AMD chipset and ram issues they've worked out over the past couple of years.

Also are you running XMP?

10+ Year Old Account
    You got me while I was editing my post.

Update BIOS if it's been some time, there are odd AMD chipset and ram issues they've worked out over the past couple of years.

Also are you running XMP?
    thats the issue. i tried running docp and then these issues occurred.

thats the issue. i tried running docp and then these issues occurred.
    My bad, I see that DOCP is a bootleg XMP for Asus.

I did a quick google search and I've seen a fair number of people have had issues with DOCP on Corsair ram, including with 4 sticks. They are suggesting to increase ram voltage, or decrease overall mhz. More reading I do, it seems more like a Corsair issue, mislabeling their Ram as being something it's not, so when the DOCP pulls the "profile" and sets timing and voltage, it's creating these memory issues.

- - - Updated - - -

I would suggest google searching DOCP and your memories specific name and see if anyone has listed the settings they've used to get them running. That would be a good jumping off point. You can also manually "OC" until you get to the 3200 that the ram is specified for. Definitely take it out of DOCP (unless you want to mess with voltages to see if that DOCP timing will work) because that's what's causing the issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    My bad, I see that DOCP is a bootleg XMP for Asus.

I did a quick google search and I've seen a fair number of people have had issues with DOCP on Corsair ram, including with 4 sticks. They are suggesting to increase ram voltage, or decrease overall mhz. More reading I do, it seems more like a Corsair issue, mislabeling their Ram as being something it's not, so when the DOCP pulls the "profile" and sets timing and voltage, it's creating these memory issues.

- - - Updated - - -

I would suggest google searching DOCP and your memories specific name and see if anyone has listed the settings they've used to get them running. That would be a good jumping off point. You can also manually "OC" until you get to the 3200 that the ram is specified for. Definitely take it out of DOCP (unless you want to mess with voltages to see if that DOCP timing will work) because that's what's causing the issues.
    i turned it off of docp and it still wont run with the 4 sticks and thats where im getting confused. it ran with all 4 prior to trying it on docp in order to get the 3200 mhz instead of 2133 but now it wont do all 4 at 2133 with docp off like it was previously doing.

The first Ryzen series is infamous for having a weak/unstable memory controller. Assuming the motherboard RAM slots are not damaged, you should try Ryzen Dram Calculator (clear cmos and reseat everything before) and manually set the 'safe' recommendations, then try to go higher if successful. I think Thaiphoon Burner will let you read/export the modules' firmware SPD.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2021-05-07 at 05:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had similar issue after disassembling my PC and moving to another country.
    4 sticks of RAM just would not work, despite all tests coming back 100% fine and all 4 sticks working on friends PCs.

Since I havent changed settings I thought that MB or RAM were damaged during transportation. But RAM was quickly ruled out because all 4 were working fine when inserted as pairs (according to ASUS manual in proper slots). After that played with settings in bios, no luck. After a while I found that this problem might be caused by CPU pin bending (iirc the term). But since it's my only workstation atm I didn't have time to try it. If you had some sort of force applied to CPU and it's docking area on MB, it might be the cause. Other than that and various settings to check, no idea what else to advice, but I am interested in collective knowledge about this.

My MB is from ASUS too, P8Z77-V LX; all 4 sticks are Kingston HyperX.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    IE if you are only running 2 sticks you should be in 1 and 3, if you try to run only 2 sticks in 2 and 4 it might not work
    This isn't always true. For example, in the MSI X570 TOMAHAWK, it's A2 and B2 aka 2 and 4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    This isn't always true. For example, in the MSI X570 TOMAHAWK, it's A2 and B2 aka 2 and 4.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/bW4mfWr.png[/IG]
    It should generally be 2 and 4, since that's where the traces end so you want them to be properly connected.

If you're using a t-topology board instead of a daisy chain then it doesn't matter, but most boards are daisy chain

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post

Yeah I realized this thats why I said to check the manual. Its not always the case, but sometimes it is. Point is the manual is your friend.