Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    It can't be the jailor since no one even knows who he is. Describing who he is in a dev interview won't get normal people hyped. Show dont tell. He has never been even mentioned in lore before shadowlands. You would think someone so important and had his hands in a ton of stuff would have been mentioned. For marketing they needed a character that players from Wotlk would recognize.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-05-08 at 05:52 PM.

Bolvar is the Lady Dimitrescu of Shadowlands
    Fire milky-daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Because he is still a central character of expansion, one that was present both in cinematic and feature trailer? And because his job is still not done? BfA box cover had a generic orc and human soldier on it.
    Wasnt there an alt cover with Sylvanas and Anduin?

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    No, but why not the jailer? Since when do the good guys get to be on the cover?
    Ah yes, Chen Stormstout, my favorite WoW villain.

Bolvar is a recognizable character who is both relevant and thematically fits the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Battle for Azeroth had a Sylvanas/Anduin alternate cover, in place of the usual Orc/Human.

I remember people being hyped about bolvar due to his lich kings ties... to me it seem like the PR stunt seemed to have worked.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Fire man look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    In all advertisements, be it the Battle.net launcher, internet adds, or the posters on the bus driving down the street, there's Bolvar as the Unmasked Lich King, alongside the WoW logo and BUY NOW advert for Shadowlands.

But... why?

I can think of several characters that have had more prominance, camera time, and effect on the story than Bolvar.
    you know the answer to that:
    -he was the lich king
    -people have nostalgia for wc3tft and wotlk
    -nostalgia sells

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Yes, but alt cover is alt.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TickTickTick View Post
    They were bad guys but they weren't THE bad guys. Even then, which Sha would you put on the cover and why would that one be more important than the others?

He died not even halfway into expansion, how was he the expansion's villain?
    1. except they were
    2. except he was... yeah he died half way through, but he was the villian we knew of. from what we can tell the jailor might die this raid, leading to a new villian.

Grommash, Illidan, Suevanas, and Bolvar were pushed as the main characters of their expansions to capitalize on marketing, since they were both WC3/early WoW characters and pretty popular at the time and are known outside of the WoW fandom (WC3 characters are especially well known in Asia because DOTA and LoL characters were based on them). If the pattern holds true, I'm guessing the main character of the next expansion is also going to be another WC3 character/early WoW character. So I'm guessing... Vol'jin, perhaps? Or maybe it'll be Medivh.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    No, but why not the jailer? Since when do the good guys get to be on the cover?
    Mists of Pandaria had Chen

BFA had a Human and Orc

Vanilla had a Night Elf and Dwarf

Legion had Illidan, a good ol boy
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2021-05-08 at 07:17 PM.

Would we even be aware of the threat of shadowlands and the jailer if not for bolvar and the Knights of the ebon blade?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's the rule of cool along with the importance of standing out in the market. Bolvar is the burning man of WoW and while they had to pick someone recognizable by current players they also needed something so far unseen to draw in potential new players. Burning Bolvar fit very well and made making cool ads easy for the ad-department.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

3+ Year Old Account
    I suspect he still has a big role to play.

Wrath nostalgia. Same reason why they lured in people with BC nostalgia for WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    In all advertisements, be it the Battle.net launcher, internet adds, or the posters on the bus driving down the street, there's Bolvar as the Unmasked Lich King, alongside the WoW logo and BUY NOW advert for Shadowlands.

But... why?

I can think of several characters that have had more prominance, camera time, and effect on the story than Bolvar.
    His story is likely not over.
    We may yet discover why he'd be worth putting on the box.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkan View Post
    Ah yes, Chen Stormstout, my favorite WoW villain.
    Wait for it, he's out to get you! Also wasn't that Taran Tzu on the cover?

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkeshall View Post
    If Bolvar is the face of the expansion, who's the butt?
    Sylvanas. Or Tyrande. Probably Tyrande because if i understand correctly her Night Warrior powers are taken away.