Issues with slowdown and re-sizing

Ever since I purchased a 4K monitor I’ve noticed that my computer has been experiencing a lot of slowdown and also having issues resizing windows when switching monitors on the dual monitor setup.

I run a 4K monitor and 2560x1440p monitor side by side.

I guess your first question would be if my system is strong to handle it and I figure yeah it should be. I’m running a 6800k with 32gbs or
    of RAM and a 2070s Graphics card.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by LCDArcade; 2021-05-09 at 04:29 AM.

Is it for any specifc programs that you notice slowdowns or we talking just the desktop in general? and we talking AMD or intel 6800K?

Quote Originally Posted by Alatie View Post
    Is it for any specifc programs that you notice slowdowns or we talking just the desktop in general? and we talking AMD or intel 6800K?
    Intel

Well I do a lot of streaming so having to tab back and forth between monitors is something I do a lot. My last setup before I upgraded my monitor was a 1440p abs 1080p one. Never used to happen.

Not 100% sure, but, I guess, two monitors in dual monitor setup are considered to be two different graphic devices with separate video memory. So, it may be memory bandwidth issue. How much VRAM your card has? May be it runs out of VRAM and starts to swap it?

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Not 100% sure, but, I guess, two monitors in dual monitor setup are considered to be two different graphic devices with separate video memory. So, it may be memory bandwidth issue. How much VRAM your card has? May be it runs out of VRAM and starts to swap it?
    That isnt how GPU memory works. It only allocates what it needs to to additional monitors. Unless hes gaming across both monitors, 2D/video on a second monitor uses almost no VRAM.

[QUOTE=Motorman;53173559] Get a 3080/3090
    - - - Updated - - -

Aren't those just a myth...they haven't had stock since release.

Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    Get a 3080/3090
    - - - Updated - - -
    Aren't those just a myth...they haven't had stock since release.
    Got a 3080 FE in november for MSRP a few days after I joined a stock discord, while the demand was at its peak.
    Switched to a 3090 FE just a few weeks ago, because they get sold under MSRP right now or traded even for used 3080 + X.

This is in EU.
    With sales regulations per NAME/6-month "timegating" per GPU.
    With FE GPUs only sold to domestic addresses, so its pretty easy to avoid the US-scalping crazyness.
    And with mining not on crazy levels since electricity prices are normal or simply not as low as in thirld world countries/US.

=> its pretty easy to get a 3080/3090 if you are not blocked allready and if you are able to use any of the free stock strackers to not have to "spam F5" all day.

It was not hard to get current GPUs in the first months and its clearly easier now.
    Last edited by Ange; 2021-05-19 at 01:38 AM.
    -

I sat in a two different GPU stock discords for 2 months and couldn't get one in the US. Handful of times i got the page up in time to add it to the cart. Bought a prebuilt instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever issues you system has, has absolutely nothing to do with your GPU being "too weak" or anything ridiculous like that.

@OP In exactly what kind of scenarios do you experience the issues? Like all the time or when gaming/streaming/watching videos or what? Also, what refresh rate are your monitors and how are they connected?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Whatever issues you system has, has absolutely nothing to do with your GPU being "too weak" or anything ridiculous like that.

@OP In exactly what kind of scenarios do you experience the issues? Like all the time or when gaming/streaming/watching videos or what? Also, what refresh rate are your monitors and how are they connected?
    I run them both at 144hz. Sometimes when I'm playing games the monitor will flicker off and then come back on second or two later. Also some programs aren't resizing themselves when I drag the windows back and forth.

I'm just not sure if my GPU is struggling or my CPU or something else.

I had a 2070 and a 4k monitor, but 4k @144 is impossible with that gpu. 4k 60 is even stretching it, contingent upon the game. The issues you're experiencing seem systemic though. I would do a clean install of all the nvidia software and drivers and reset your monitor settings to default and see if that improves anything.

2070 is not a great 4K GPU. Also 6800K is pretty dated as well, especially for 4K.

Quote Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
    Also 6800K is pretty dated as well, especially for 4K.
    This is utterly nonsensical, as the higher you go on resolution, the less CPU matters.

To the OP:

1 - you cant really game at 4K on a 2070 without massive compromises. It wasnt even a particularly hot 1440p card (it was fine for 1440p/60, but not high refresh). You certainly arent going to be getting high refresh performance at 4k.

2 - unless you are also doing intensive 3D something on your second monitor, the amount of GPU resources your second monitor uses is negligible. Running a desktop and browser/application windows is nothing. To give an example, you can run multiple 4k displays at 60fps off of a GT 1030 without the thing even hitting 30% usage. Thus:

3 - if youre having issues on your second monitor (choppy performance, whatever) then something else is wrong. DDU/Clean Install time. And maybe refresh/reinstall Windows if that doesnt work. Could also be a bad port on the gpu causing intermittent problems, but this probably wouldnt present as performance problems, itd just disconnect/quit working.

10+ Year Old Account
    I run them both at 144hz. Sometimes when I'm playing games the monitor will flicker off and then come back on second or two later. Also some programs aren't resizing themselves when I drag the windows back and forth.

I'm just not sure if my GPU is struggling or my CPU or something else.
    4K 144Hz is very rare still, and requires a lot of bandwidth. Are you using Displayport or HDMI? Afaik the only thing on the market that currently supports 4K 144Hz is Displayport 1.4 with display stream compression (DSC) or HDMI 2.1.
    The RTX 2000 series does not support HDMI 2.1 (only RTX 3000 series and RX 6000 series do) but it should support DP 1.4+DSC.

At this kind of high bandwidth, the quality of the cable itself becomes very important. I'm assuming you're using DP here because I don't see how your setup would work otherwise, but are you using a certified DP 1.4 cable? A lesser cable not able to handle the bandwidth could very well be the reason for the monitor flickering.

IDK exactly what you mean with the programs not resizing themselves, could you explain a bit more?

the monitor in question is the LG GN950
    ALso it's a 2070Super not regular if that matters.

I'm not trying to run games at 144FPS that's just my native refresh rate of the the two monitors.

ALso it's a 2070Super not regular if that matters.
    Not remotely. Its still not a 4k capable card. The extra 5-7% over the vanilla 2070 isnt to going to change that.

Even a brand new 3080 can barely pull of 4k/60 in most AAA games (outliers like Doom Eternal notwithstanding because of how goof Vulkan is and how well optimized ID Tech is).

Shak’s suggestion/point is a good one. If you dont have a good-quality DP 1.4 rated cable, it could cause all sorts of problems.