Haven't PvPed since BC, have questions.

I'm looking to play a healer in random BGs, nothing serious, just for fun. However, my memories of PvP are lopsided battlegroups and queues. So, my first questions are:

1) Does it matter what server you're on anymore?
    2) Does it matter what faction you are since merc mode was added?
    3) Is there a recommended level bracket for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of time and energy on gear?

Next, I don't know if I should go with a priest or paladin. I had fun playing a holy priest in anniversary AV, I'm not particularly good with disc. I have never played holy paladin before, but I've mained ret long enough to be familiar with the basic class abilities so if the learning curve isn't too steep I might give it a whirl. Is there any difference in efficacy between the two in a random BG setting?

Thanks!

Edit: Looks like holy paladin is too melee for my tastes, so nevermind that part!
    Last edited by Lane; 2021-05-10 at 01:04 AM.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Just make a trial character and try out BGs
    They are level 49 or 50 and you get to see most spells in your spellbook

1) No, crossrealm, but can't say if there are still some battlegroups left.
    2) Merc mode isn't used thaaat much (mostly horde merc to alliance, rarely alliance to horde). As horde you potentially wait longer to get an invite to random bg. If you plan to go ranked, I guess horde should be the right decision.
    3) Can't say. If you stop exp, you play against people who have fully geared for an exp stop and will tear you apart + the queue times will be abyssmal. If you do not turn off exp, you'll level up eventually, so that doesn't really matter at which level you start.

The better class is the one you enjoy more, as this will probably be played better than a class one doesn't enjoy.
    In addition, in this forum you aren't allowed to ask for class/spec recommendations.
    Last edited by Bloodyleech; 2021-05-09 at 09:07 PM.

Server doesn't matter, faction matter mostly only for racials, I'm not 100% sure you can merc as horde when you are alliance and alliance is the underrepresented faction, someone else would have to answer that.

Holy priest is good right now, but it's a somewhat rare occurrence, so take that for what it is. Disc is always at least playable. Ret is insane, but be ware that it will reduce your IQ points every time you play it ( :-) ). There isn't much difference in BG performance as 90% of success is what the entire team does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    The better class is the one you enjoy more, as this will probably be played better than a class one doesn't enjoy.
    In addition, in this forum you aren't allowed to ask for class/spec recommendations.
    I was asking in case there's a substantial difference between the two, if not then I'd just stick with priest since I'm more familiar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Server doesn't matter, faction matter mostly only for racials, I'm not 100% sure you can merc as horde when you are alliance and alliance is the underrepresented faction, someone else would have to answer that.

Holy priest is good right now, but it's a somewhat rare occurrence, so take that for what it is. Disc is always at least playable. Ret is insane, but be ware that it will reduce your IQ points every time you play it ( :-) ). There isn't much difference in BG performance as 90% of success is what the entire team does.
    I was only going to merc for reduced queue times, if that wasn't possible then I'd just roll Alliance. I've never used merc mode, so the whole thing is new to me.

I don't know if I want to PvP as ret though. I tend to hate playing melee in PvP and I'm so rusty I'd rather just keep people alive who know what they're doing. :P
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post

I was only going to merc for reduced queue times, if that wasn't possible then I'd just roll Alliance. I've never used merc mode, so the whole thing is new to me.

I don't know if I want to PvP as ret though. I tend to hate playing melee in PvP and I'm so rusty I'd rather just keep people alive who know what they're doing. :P
    No, of course you can merc to reduce queues. I'm saying idk if you can merc if your faction already has the significantly short queues. (as I'd imagine some people would like to).