Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    No archaeology in SL zones, despite the obvious and amazing potential for it.
    Maaaan

What the fuck lol. You're telling me instead of wasting time, talent and money on animating a weird auto-chess thing for the command table, they could've given us artifacts used by heroes and villains of old?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    I'm just pissed that be because archeology was discountined in SL, my dwarf chars have literally useless racial - explorer...
    Omg LOL Jesus, they really swept this profession under the rug. Damn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kiramon View Post
    To be frank, I think Archaeology was Dead on Arrival. It was never super popular, always a long boring time-waster.
    It was popular for a few months when it was released, mainly because you could get ilvl359 Zin'rokh (2-handed sword) from it, and it was highly-sought after since it was raid quality. Also a few other pieces like a cloth chest but the sword was the pimp back then.

It stopped being useful after Firelands came out. You could still get the azure Qiraj tank but it was a ton of absurd work and many people abused a bug to force archaeology spawns in Silithus.

After that, the profession went to shit. Pandaria with its pristine bullcrap was already dragging it like a damn corpse. It only got worse and worse. Legion tried to do something with it through bi-weekly events, but it was over very soon, and you just had the 300 digsites achievement to do, which was absurd and incredibly boring.

I think they should remove archaeology, or keep it as an old profession with stuff stuck until BfA. they obviously haven't had any ideas for it in years

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kiramon View Post
    To be frank, I think Archaeology was Dead on Arrival. It was never super popular, always a long boring time-waster.

If they really wanted it to do something, it would've been an easy thing to tie into a Mobile App - preferably with some little dwarf digger guy that you move around to find stuff for in-game. Maybe they should start making things like the Spectral Tiger drop in Shadowlands Archaeology, lol...
    No it was very viable early in cata because they had good weapons for starting out fresh 85's. I think if decent starter weapons were in every new expansion you would see more people doing it. The problem with Archeology now is its kinda pointless.

You cant make much gold doing it and the toys/pets/mounts over time have become fewer and fewer. If you want people do do something in wow you have to have tangible rewards otherwise no one is going to bother.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    Archeology could be cool. We should have set up Dig sites for a week-month that offers dailys/WQ. With phasing they could change the site from day to day. Add in event like invasions. Mogu could attack your site to get the treasures from you ect.. Dailys would be something like clearing areas of mobs, drain water away from site set up areas you want to focus on that NPCs will dig down to.

Then add actual rewards instead of just grey items with pristine versions. I like the Idea of OP with old stuff that was removed as well as HD versions of older items. Mounts/Pets and perhaps cosmetics to spell effects/rare glyphs. I wouldn't mind a power increase as well but make it tradeable. I like the idea of digging up some titan artifact and gaining a weaker effect of Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings. Or elemental invasion with agents of Rag that let you collect Eye of (fire elly) that gives you the firebolt effect from hand of Rag ect... Could make up alot of fun little things that lets you socket your weapon.

Side note they could use Island expeditions maps for alot of this since they are pretty much dead content now. Re-using them should be easy. Could even add in resource collecting for your ship and supplies that could be a fun mini game. Collecting NPCS that you want to take along with perks.
    This could work to spice them up.
    I wouldn't mind it being a lengthier thing that "guarantees" a spicy item at the end.
    Like, if it runs 1 week, and the "spicy" table has 20 items, you get one, then next week you have 19 to go.
    Make each dig require progress, show that progress, make it actually look like archaeological dig instead of just some chump with a shovel digging a couple holes in the jungle.
    Maybe this could tie into 10.0 if what some think may happen and a time skip occurs, where we go back home and it's like 100 years in the future.
    Archaeology could be a big theme then, as we dig up random spots for weeks on end to discover things, find out what happened, the story gets told through these events.
    Progress it with the usual quests, kill X this, collect Y that, find this person or that person, those types of quests to assist with the digs.

TBH, I kinda forgot archaeology was a thing.
    I think the last time I touched it was early Legion? Maybe even before that.
    Honestly don't remember bc it was dreadfully boring to fly to an area, follow the not quite always as accurate little lights, then find vendor trash that didn't quite make it worth your time.

How about instead of player housing, you start up your own digsite? At first its a hole and a shovel. But as you progress it goes deeper and more complex. You uncover things that offer quest chains. You break thru the roof of some buried chamber and then explore its secrets, furthering your archeology profession. You start uncovering ancient monsters buried away and you accidentally unleash them on the world. You go too far and awaken a big fire elemental. You find waystones offering portals to ancient lands.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Good riddance to archeology as it is, and it would require a very serious rework to be minimally interesting.

The only person i ever knew that did archeology stuff was an achievement-hunter, and he even admitted to botting for those.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    How about instead of player housing, you start up your own digsite? At first its a hole and a shovel. But as you progress it goes deeper and more complex. You uncover things that offer quest chains. You break thru the roof of some buried chamber and then explore its secrets, furthering your archeology profession. You start uncovering ancient monsters buried away and you accidentally unleash them on the world. You go too far and awaken a big fire elemental. You find waystones offering portals to ancient lands.
    yea. sounds like enticing gameplay. a hole and a shovel. nice.

/s

Not sure about removed gear, but perhaps some transmog based on the races we research. It'd be a good project for interns.

Leave it in the game. But don’t add anything to it. Blizzard acknowledged that it should have stayed as a one off thing for cata, and that’s only cause they scrapped path of the titans (thus having to fill a purpose for it).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    This could work to spice them up.
    I wouldn't mind it being a lengthier thing that "guarantees" a spicy item at the end.
    Like, if it runs 1 week, and the "spicy" table has 20 items, you get one, then next week you have 19 to go.
    Make each dig require progress, show that progress, make it actually look like archaeological dig instead of just some chump with a shovel digging a couple holes in the jungle.
    Maybe this could tie into 10.0 if what some think may happen and a time skip occurs, where we go back home and it's like 100 years in the future.
    Archaeology could be a big theme then, as we dig up random spots for weeks on end to discover things, find out what happened, the story gets told through these events.
    Progress it with the usual quests, kill X this, collect Y that, find this person or that person, those types of quests to assist with the digs.

TBH, I kinda forgot archaeology was a thing.
    I think the last time I touched it was early Legion? Maybe even before that.
    Honestly don't remember bc it was dreadfully boring to fly to an area, follow the not quite always as accurate little lights, then find vendor trash that didn't quite make it worth your time.
    Ion and the team has already said there won’t be a timeskip.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/bellula...wapping-316889

Almost 10 months later after that interview and I still see (not just your post) people memeing on about a timeskip.

Riddle/Puzzle System

Throughout Legion and Battle for Azeroth, Blizzard has added several secrets for the players to solve. This, in my eyes, should be a fully-fledged feature. As a lot of players like speculating and solving mysteries, this should be added in a future expansion as a feature - especially in an old gods expansion. It could be what archaeology should have been: full of lore, legendary rewards, mysteries and interactive events. The old gods and their minions could hint at us, the players, just like Il'gynoth does, at convoluted stuff for us, the players, to solve. Let the Puzzle box of yog-Sarron, for example, be solveable. They could use stuff like Bottles washed ashore, containing encrypted messages. Or they can use treasure maps which we'll have to decipher. Outdoor chests (buried or exposed) could require a key or a spell to open.

Speaking of Archaeology, why not try and make it interesting like in Adventure movies, where you adventure into forgotten tombs and crypts. Make it dark, so you'll have to use a torch. Add traps everywhere (spikes, flames, quick sand, moving walls, etc). When you interact with objects, spawn a scary and tough elite mob or swarm the place with mobs, forcing you to get out as fast as possible or to get help from a friend. When you finally find the artifact within, collapse the whole place, so you'll have to race against time before dying or getting stuck there.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...be-implemented
    Last edited by username993720; 2021-05-11 at 08:02 PM.

Does need a revamp tbh, very out dated and not exactly fun to do.

Back in Cata i really had fun with archeology. YOu could get starter gear if you are lucky. Funny items. But they just put less and less in it that was worthwile tbh.

Also it doesn't work as well anymore with the new zones because they don't have a singel empty place anywhere. Imagine how annoying it would be.

They really would need a complete overhaul. And attach quality of life items to it for the open world. Nothing you could use in any instanced stuff. Speedbuffs. Changes to force a mob to fight for you stuff like that. Mounts of course. Some entry level gear just beneath normal raiding.

The overhaul itself? No idea. I don't think it would work.

Rather they make professions better like ESO for example. LOVE eso professions. FF14 not so much. They are TOO involved.

Just get rid of the hot-cold mechanic and streamline it a bit more. Perhaps less RNG and allow you to research into discovering only weapons or clothing for example.

I've been thinking about this for a while. IMO, the best experience with Archaeology is in Mist of Pandaria while using the Mantid Artifact Sonic Locator.

1) Being able to focus on one group is very rewarding.
    2) All of the dig sites are spread over two adjacent zones... spend your time digging not traveling.
    3) The dig sites are not littered with enemies... you are there to unearth artifacts not mob grind.
    4) Flying from dig site to dig site allows you the freedom to engage the content at your own pace.
    5) The dig sites last for six discoveries which feels better than the eight in Draenor.
    6) The discoveries are usually tightly grouped together in each dig site... rarely do you need to travel from one side, to the other.
    7) Mantid Amber Slivers drop on average once every two dig sites... this feels both rewarding and frequent enough to stick with the six discoveries per dig site.

Suggestions to improve further:
    1) While unearthing in Draenor spirits of the culture you are excavating sometimes attack and drop additional fragments... I prefer this to the Ancient Haunt which only drops Mogu artifact fragments. I also like the frequency these pop up in Draenor better... IE more often than Mist. Just make it match the fragments you are currently collecting.
    2) Allow us to focus on all races. While focusing on that culture dig sites are limited to either one zone or two adjacent zones. (Flying should be allowed as soon as possible... archaeology is not fun when having to fight geography and mobs while just trying to dig.)
    3) The Pandaren Lorewalker Scrolls which tell the stories... I feel these are the type of rewards that archaeology needs to have in addition to transmogs. For instance instead of just displaying trophies for pristine versions a solve unlocks a Voice Over telling what the object is and why it is important to the culture.
    4) Complete archaeology. It feels ok to get common pieces frequently as it allows for a greater chance to get a pristine version... but once you have the pristine it would be nice to have that project marked done and removed from your possible list of artifacts. This also gives you a feeling of accomplishment in completing a collection.

Just some random thoughts,
    Kalium
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotato2013 View Post
    Leave it in the game. But don’t add anything to it. Blizzard acknowledged that it should have stayed as a one off thing for cata, and that’s only cause they scrapped path of the titans (thus having to fill a purpose for it).

- - - Updated - - -

Ion and the team has already said there won’t be a timeskip.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/bellula...wapping-316889

Almost 10 months later after that interview and I still see (not just your post) people memeing on about a timeskip.
    You actually trust anything these people say? It reminds me of the college frat boy who tells a co-ed, "I love you" to get some horizonal entertainment. People will say just about anything to elicit the response they want.

Forgot it even existed. It's one of the most boring and uninteresting stuff ever added, let alone it didn't even make much sense and got even in worse in MoP+

It would be nice if they just did anything for Archeology. I very much enjoy the skill, it was a shame to see them completely forget it.