Poll: Star Trek The Both Origins Series would you be interested?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Star Trek The Next Generations: The Borg Origins

Recently me and my wife have been watching our own marathon of Star Trek, I haven't really watched any of the new series but we both pretty much agree The Borg was one of and still one of the most interesting and incomplete. So it got me thinking along with many fans interested in different perspectives from Star Trek my question for here is.

Would you if you're a fan be interested in a story arch specifically surrounding The Borg Origins?

Here are some of the many questions I have still about the borg even after seeing all the previous series before Discovery and STO Reboot films. [Warning Spoiler Alerts beyond this point if you haven't seen all the ST Series.

1. Where specifically do Th Borg come from (Planet and Original Species)

2. How old is that original species by Human Comparison

3. Obviously "What happened to the Biological original race how did they become slaves to their technology specifically?

[B]In Star Trek TNG Q Who, When Q sent the Enterprise 7.000 Light years 2.5 Years away from Humanity in the Alpha Quadrant is the Cube the Enterprise D first encountered at Sector J- 25 the same as the one they would encounter again in Best of both Worlds at the end of Season 3?[/B]

[B]The Outpost in the Star Trek TNG episode The Neutral Zone was that also the same Cube from Sector J -25, if so why previous to their eventual encounter in Best Of Both Worlds is the only time the Borg sending one ship tried to assimilate Earth or humanity?[/B]

There are I am sure loads of other questions more specifically what some of yours about The Borg Story Arc?
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2021-05-11 at 03:38 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    They would make it more shit like Star Trek Picard so no thanks.

The Borg were great when they were mysterious and unfathomable, when they only appearances were in Q Who and Best of Both Worlds. After BoBW, the Borg were milked and became less intimidating, mysterious, and creepy with each appearance. They were a total joke in First Contact and Voyager.

Don't milk things. Stop. Let things be one and done.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, for those who don't know, the parasite aliens at the end of S1 were supposed to be the Borg, but the stop-motion aliens were too expensive from a budget standpoint to do a repeat appearance, so the Borg were retconned/recontextualized into being humans with grey paint and prosthetics attached.

- - - Updated - - -

Another fact: for those who complained that Picard's ultra-violent behavior in First Contact was out of character. Well, yes, he was OOC compared to the rest of the show... but in the season 1 finale, he murdered a Borg without remorse (remember, the aliens were supposed to be Borg but were too expensive). So... consistency!

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The Borg were great when they were mysterious and unfathomable, when they only appearances were in Q Who and Best of Both Worlds. After BoBW, the Borg were milked and became less intimidating, mysterious, and creepy with each appearance. They were a total joke in First Contact and Voyager.

Don't milk things. Stop. Let things be one and done.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, for those who don't know, the parasite aliens at the end of S1 were supposed to be the Borg, but the stop-motion aliens were too expensive from a budget standpoint to do a repeat appearance, so the Borg were retconned/recontextualized into being humans with grey paint and prosthetics attached.

- - - Updated - - -

Another fact: for those who complained that Picard's ultra-violent behavior in First Contact was out of character. Well, yes, he was OOC compared to the rest of the show... but in the season 1 finale, he murdered a Borg without remorse (remember, the aliens were supposed to be Borg but were too expensive). So... consistency!
    People complained about Picard's behavior in First Contact?!? Is he supposed to still want to negotiate peace after learning, first hand, how all consuming their Prime Directive is?

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    People complained about Picard's behavior in First Contact?!? Is he supposed to still want to negotiate peace after learning, first hand, how all consuming their Prime Directive is?
    Well, Picard was sort of acting out of character in First Contact. But that's what people suffering from PTSD do...so, in that sense, he was also acting entirely in character.

Like, if he had never been turned into Lokutus...he wouldn't have been acting like that towards the Borg. He'd still want to defeat them...but it wouldn't have been such a single-minded obsession. That was the whole point of the Moby Dick comparison.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-05-11 at 05:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No thanks, don't need more Borg stuff. They were really played out by the end of Voyager.

They did establish that they were from the Delta Quadrant and were a known space-faring species for at least 900 years, but not much more detail than that.
    /s

I’d really enjoy a history of the borg from the perspective of their neighbors. I believe it was the voyager dragon teeth episode where the race in cryo mentioned the borg had only assimilated a few species. Could be a real interesting show where the races in the “area” (yeah, trek is horrible with distances at times) are at first thinking it’s a small scale problem, and eventually realizing it’s a tidal wave they have to stop, and fail. It would have to be over a long period, perhaps following a single person or group that is leading a charge and their civilizations are falling like dominoes.

I do agree the menace of the borg has been tempered over the years/series. To me going to their history could rekindle that.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    (yeah, trek is horrible with distances at times)
    Voyager was absolutely awful. Voyager is warping towards Earth in a straight line nonstop. They have travelled dozens or hundreds of lightyears in between episodes. And yet they keep running into the same Kazon and Hirogen characters over and over again... despite them having been left behind dozens or hundreds of light years past, and none of their ships are as fast as a Starfleet ship, nor have a warp core powerful enough to sustain warp speed for that long, nor were implied to have been heading towards Earth anyway.

Also, don't forget how Voyager was stocked with 38 torpedoes (that can't be replaced) but winds up shooting three times as many of them over the course of the show.

I mean didn't Voyager more or less defeat them. I do understand it wasn't total (and was odd). But they lost one of their key and central interstellar installations that allowed their quick travel, they lost one of their other core deep space stations earlier, the queen got infected and "killed", and the core of their space was pretty devastated in the war with 871 on top of that. Their primary defense and offensive abilities seemed to have been figured out by Voyager. Then let us not forget the unconscious rebellion within their ranks in dreamland. They were burned, kicked, and physiological hit and hit hard while losing their major advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Voyager was absolutely awful. Voyager is warping towards Earth in a straight line nonstop. They have travelled dozens or hundreds of lightyears in between episodes. And yet they keep running into the same Kazon and Hirogen characters over and over again... despite them having been left behind dozens or hundreds of light years past, and none of their ships are as fast as a Starfleet ship, nor have a warp core powerful enough to sustain warp speed for that long, nor were implied to have been heading towards Earth anyway.

Also, don't forget how Voyager was stocked with 38 torpedoes (that can't be replaced) but winds up shooting three times as many of them over the course of the show.

You forgot the time they made an engine that went infinitely fast with only a minor side effect that was fixed by the end of the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    You forgot the time they made an engine that went infinitely fast with only a minor side effect that was fixed by the end of the episode.
    I call that episode the Paris screaming episode. I shit you not half the episode is him just.. laying in sick bay.. and like.. screaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I call that episode the Paris screaming episode. I shit you not half the episode is him just.. laying in sick bay.. and like.. screaming.
    The other half is salamander sex.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh...probably be best if the Borg are just left alone, they've become a joke and the only way I can see them rising if they assimilated some piece of mcguffin technology they makes them uber powerful....which is just something that someone as uncreative and lazy as Alex Kurtzman would do. He's already done that numerous times with Discovery and Picard

Do NEW things, not old things.

Stop going back all the time.

Also, mysteries can be cool. We don't need to explain everything. Next you'll be asking for a pre-Continuum Q series!

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post

Also, mysteries can be cool. We don't need to explain everything. Next you'll be asking for a pre-Continuum Q series!
    Agreed, that has been the problem with most of the new Star Trek for me. Everything has been reboot / remake / reimaging of old things. I wish it would just take a small step forward and roll from there with new things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post

When you aren't capable of anything original, uncreative minds fall back on remakes and prequels that use things that are already established

I'd be down for a Borg series, start with them pre-borg of course, and how they grew into the Borg and expanded in the delta quadrant, should take place way in the past of course. no need to touch the alpha quadrant or Starfleet or anything like that.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    I'd be down for a Borg series, start with them pre-borg of course, and how they grew into the Borg and expanded in the delta quadrant, should take place way in the past of course. no need to touch the alpha quadrant or Starfleet or anything like that.

I honestly would love this idea.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I'd be down with a Hugh series.

But they killed him.

It was one of the nicer elements to Picard that they cast aside for not so great reasons.

does the borg origin story matter?

i don't think there should be anything special about it, just a random technocracy/flesh is weak type of civilization pursuing and achieving their goals. could be any random alien. maybe some technology gone out on control if you want to throw in a bit of a tragic twist but i think that would cheapen it.

definitly don't want some crap where they were intentionally build for a specific purpose/weapon.