Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    ... Wat?
    Have you not watched reviews? The m1 outperformed apples Intel based models in like 95% of use cases.
    https://browser.geekbench.com/processor-benchmarks

    I mean Geekbench multi core result for M1 - 7.6k. Intel Core i9-10980XE has 16k. And Geekbench favors Apple like no tomorrow.

    ... that's wat.

    I use M1 daily and M1 is slow. It's a very fast 4 core CPU and that's it. There's no magic. Just 4 cores. Check how many cores do Intel and AMD CPUs have and fucking weep. Open Rider, AppCode, Datagrip, XCode (because swiftui preview), VSCode, run something in Docker and whole system grinds to a halt. Pathetic. Expected behavior, still pathetic.

    Can't wait for M2, because M1 is getting long in the tooth.
    Last edited by ldev; 2021-06-16 at 10:58 AM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

    yall im smh @ ur simplified english

  2. #22
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    13,993
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    https://browser.geekbench.com/processor-benchmarks

    I mean Geekbench multi core result for M1 - 7.6k. Intel Core i9-10980XE has 16k. And Geekbench favors Apple like no tomorrow.

    ... that's wat.

    I use M1 daily and M1 is slow.
    So you use the example of the most powerful cpu in an imac, when the thread is about mac books..

    So you clearly have no interest in taking this seriously

    And of course its not going to beat the highest end hedt chips, it's not designed to. It's designed to replace the mid - range chips, something it does fantastically
    Last edited by Temp name; 2021-06-16 at 10:59 AM.

  3. #23
    Yea I've read just the title - M1 vs Intel.

    Anyways, M1 is still crap, wait for M2.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

    yall im smh @ ur simplified english

  4. #24
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    13,993
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Yea I've read just the title - M1 vs Intel.

    Anyways, M1 is still crap, wait for M2.
    You clearly didn't read the title very well then. "MACBOOK PRO m1 vs Intel"

    And its not crap, it does its job perfectly well

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    So you use the example of the most powerful cpu in an imac, when the thread is about mac books.
    Look, that Lamborghini smokes the Corolla, the Corolla is crap!

    For real, lmfao...

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Alantor View Post
    Look, that Lamborghini smokes the Corolla, the Corolla is crap!

    For real, lmfao...
    Right? And the irony is that that Corolla gives the Lambo as much of a run for its money as it does considering the disparity in cores/threads.

  7. #27
    Elemental Lord clevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Other Side of Azeroth
    Posts
    8,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Vektorix View Post
    This is incorrect. Almost all macOS software that runs on Intel processors will run on M-series Macs via Rosetta 2 emulation. In many cases, the speed boost from the M1 allows software to run faster in emulation than it did natively on Intel. The only software that is flat-out incompatible are apps that address specific elements of older Macs, such as utilities that make bootable mirrors of boot drives. Major software developers like Adobe have confirmed that some of their applications already run natively on the M1, while the rest run in Rosetta 2, and have native M-series versions of those apps in public beta.

    I would recommend investigating the specific apps that you use to see if they have been updated to run natively on Apple Silicon, or if they are any of the relative few that need to be reworked to use the new architecture.
    This is the correct answer. Most software runs fine (source, me, I'm typing this on an M1). But since you have relatively specific needs, investigate the specific software.

    The M1s are 2-3x the speed of the machines they replace but the current crop does have a couple of limitations, mostly that they only can be bought with 16G of RAM or less. If you NEED (not want, NEED) 32+, wait until the next crop of M series Macs are released, likely in the fall.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    https://browser.geekbench.com/processor-benchmarks

    I mean Geekbench multi core result for M1 - 7.6k. Intel Core i9-10980XE has 16k. And Geekbench favors Apple like no tomorrow.

    ... that's wat.
    Holy shit the first gen laptop CPU with 8 cores is bested by a top of the line, 18 core desktop CPU. SHOCKING!

    Idiot.
    I use M1 daily and M1 is slow. It's a very fast 4 core CPU and that's it. There's no magic. Just 4 cores. Check how many cores do Intel and AMD CPUs have and fucking weep. Open Rider, AppCode, Datagrip, XCode (because swiftui preview), VSCode, run something in Docker and whole system grinds to a halt. Pathetic. Expected behavior, still pathetic.

    Can't wait for M2, because M1 is getting long in the tooth.
    You lie. Most because, well, there is no 4 core M1. They all come with 8 CPU cores and 7 or 8 GPU cores.

    Pathetic.
    Last edited by clevin; 2021-06-18 at 07:28 PM.

  8. #28
    I am Murloc! dacoolist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    5,506
    M1 systems very new so bugs are still getting worked out for recovery mode etc (please dont use migration assistant just copy pasta your files over) - all in all it actually runs wow pretty well on either unit the mba or the mbp. The m2 chipset is the next gen and the higher end varient m1+/pro/x whatever its going to be called is what people are saying to wait for. The m2 would be the gen 2 with the next eye fone 4nm or 3nm chipset, the m1x/pro/+ is the deeper model you’re looking for

    Lots of options: I know besides like the employee friends and fam discount etc I think Amazon is the best cost.

  9. #29
    Elemental Lord clevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Other Side of Azeroth
    Posts
    8,981
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post

    If your programs are computationally intensive then an Intel processor made for workstations would be better than an Apple M1. A lot of that kind of work can utilize matrices which allow for parallel processing on a workstation.
    Of course an intel desktop with high end workstation CPU will outperform an M1 laptop. If the OP doesn't care about the laptop form factor, they can get a Mac Pro. But they're after a) a Mac. and b) presumably a laptop.
    Last edited by clevin; 2021-06-18 at 07:35 PM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Yea I've read just the title - M1 vs Intel.

    Anyways, M1 is still crap, wait for M2.
    Crap at what though? What is it failing to do in an efficient manner for you? The reviews are pretty unanimous that the M1 Macs have consistently outperformed expectations and are a great value for consumers. Does that mean ever use case? Of course not. But please specify your specific use case where the machine falls short. Because your anecdotal evidence falls well short of...

    Tom's Guide
    Tech Radar
    Forbes
    t3
    Mashable
    PCMag
    Engadget
    MKBHD
    LTT
    PocketNow

    etc...

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    This is the correct answer. Most software runs fine (source, me, I'm typing this on an M1). But since you have relatively specific needs, investigate the specific software.

    The M1s are 2-3x the speed of the machines they replace but the current crop does have a couple of limitations, mostly that they only can be bought with 16G of RAM or less. If you NEED (not want, NEED) 32+, wait until the next crop of M series Macs are released, likely in the fall.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Holy shit the first gen laptop CPU with 8 cores is bested by a top of the line, 18 core desktop CPU. SHOCKING!

    Idiot.


    You lie. Most because, well, there is no 4 core M1. They all come with 8 CPU cores and 7 or 8 GPU cores.

    Pathetic.
    Your assessment is correct. I took delivery of a 16gb RAM M1 equipped MacBook Pro a week and a half ago. It works for all my business need and runs WoW extremely well. It is also the first laptop I’ve owned that didn’t get hot while running WoW. Preceded by three MacBook Pro’s and a Windows laptop. All with discrete graphics.

    I wanted to wait for the forthcoming 16” MBP with M1x, but my 2014 MBP’s display was progressively failing. Other than the smaller screen, I am satisfied with the performance.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by ghays View Post
    Your assessment is correct. I took delivery of a 16gb RAM M1 equipped MacBook Pro a week and a half ago. It works for all my business need and runs WoW extremely well. It is also the first laptop I’ve owned that didn’t get hot while running WoW. Preceded by three MacBook Pro’s and a Windows laptop. All with discrete graphics.

    I wanted to wait for the forthcoming 16” MBP with M1x, but my 2014 MBP’s display was progressively failing. Other than the smaller screen, I am satisfied with the performance.
    The 7-core laptops have thermal throttling issues thanks to downgraded cooling. Pretty sure the 8/8 models thermal throttle as well. Their design sucks to repair as well.

  13. #33
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    13,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The 7-core laptops have thermal throttling issues thanks to downgraded cooling. Pretty sure the 8/8 models thermal throttle as well. Their design sucks to repair as well.
    The air does, yeah. Pretty sure the pro doesn't throttle.

    And yeah, it sucks to repair, but that's par for the course with Apple

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    The air does, yeah. Pretty sure the pro doesn't throttle.

    And yeah, it sucks to repair, but that's par for the course with Apple
    Hopefully not for much longer.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    The air does, yeah. Pretty sure the pro doesn't throttle.
    it does not, as it has active cooling. T

    And yeah, it sucks to repair, but that's par for the course with Apple
    And LG, and HP, and Lenovo, and, and, and.

    Thin and lights are ALL like that, regardless of manufacturer.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    it does not, as it has active cooling. T



    And LG, and HP, and Lenovo, and, and, and.

    Thin and lights are ALL like that, regardless of manufacturer.
    You are correct, the Pro models do feature active cooling. Although I haven’t noticed the fans coming on even once yet. Even WoW doesn’t cause it to heat up. Consequently I can play on battery for over six your only a full charge. Every previous laptop I’ve ever played on made it on either side of two hours. I’ve also noticed the power block on the charging cable doesn’t get very warm either.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    And LG, and HP, and Lenovo, and, and, and.

    Thin and lights are ALL like that, regardless of manufacturer.
    To be fair though, the M1 Macbooks take it a step further than other manufacturers who generally allow for the swapping of SSDs and at least one of the RAM sticks. Apple has made it prohibitively difficult to do so (though not technically impossible) by soldering everything.

  18. #38
    The Unstoppable Force Bakis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    23,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    ... Wat?
    Have you not watched reviews? The m1 outperformed apples Intel based models in like 95% of use cases.
    M1 is fine, the Macbook Pro M1 is not however. Its more of an iPad than a PC.
    Fox News Media is proud of our 2020 election coverage, which stands in the highest tradition of American journalism, and we will vigorously defend against this baseless lawsuit in court," the media company said in its response.
    Equally outrageously hilarious as sad

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    M1 is fine, the Macbook Pro M1 is not however. Its more of an iPad than a PC.
    How do you figure?

  20. #40
    The Unstoppable Force Bakis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    23,899
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    How do you figure?
    I guess I should be a bit more colorful. I'm zooming in on it being a PRO model and still it lacks a ton of stuff that ought to be included.
    Multi external support, lack of USB ports, "iPad" RAM and storage.
    The last two can be upgrades but I mean, it's a PRO right? And the lack of the total upgrades (probably very consciously by Apple) means the lifespan is too poor.

    I wasn't very serious about the iPad comparison but I'm very serious about it not meeting what I and many view as the threshold for a PRO model.
    I see it more as a great basic model for regular work and home use not a professional tool, which it should be considering its naming policy.

    Edit: one more thing and this I dont know so Im curious. Considering its fanless how would it cope with heavy workload under a prolonged period of time? How soon will it throttle down?
    Last edited by Bakis; 2021-06-20 at 10:19 PM.
    Fox News Media is proud of our 2020 election coverage, which stands in the highest tradition of American journalism, and we will vigorously defend against this baseless lawsuit in court," the media company said in its response.
    Equally outrageously hilarious as sad

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •