Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    ... Wat?
    Have you not watched reviews? The m1 outperformed apples Intel based models in like 95% of use cases.
    https://browser.geekbench.com/processor-benchmarks

I mean Geekbench multi core result for M1 - 7.6k. Intel Core i9-10980XE has 16k. And Geekbench favors Apple like no tomorrow.

... that's wat.

I use M1 daily and M1 is slow. It's a very fast 4 core CPU and that's it. There's no magic. Just 4 cores. Check how many cores do Intel and AMD CPUs have and fucking weep. Open Rider, AppCode, Datagrip, XCode (because swiftui preview), VSCode, run something in Docker and whole system grinds to a halt. Pathetic. Expected behavior, still pathetic.

Can't wait for M2, because M1 is getting long in the tooth.
    Last edited by ldev; 2021-06-16 at 10:58 AM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post

I mean Geekbench multi core result for M1 - 7.6k. Intel Core i9-10980XE has 16k. And Geekbench favors Apple like no tomorrow.

... that's wat.

I use M1 daily and M1 is slow.
    So you use the example of the most powerful cpu in an imac, when the thread is about mac books..

So you clearly have no interest in taking this seriously

And of course its not going to beat the highest end hedt chips, it's not designed to. It's designed to replace the mid - range chips, something it does fantastically
    Last edited by Temp name; 2021-06-16 at 10:59 AM.

Yea I've read just the title - M1 vs Intel.

Anyways, M1 is still crap, wait for M2.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account

You clearly didn't read the title very well then. "MACBOOK PRO m1 vs Intel"

And its not crap, it does its job perfectly well

So you use the example of the most powerful cpu in an imac, when the thread is about mac books.
    Look, that Lamborghini smokes the Corolla, the Corolla is crap!

For real, lmfao...

Quote Originally Posted by Alantor View Post
    Look, that Lamborghini smokes the Corolla, the Corolla is crap!

For real, lmfao...
    Right? And the irony is that that Corolla gives the Lambo as much of a run for its money as it does considering the disparity in cores/threads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vektorix View Post
    This is incorrect. Almost all macOS software that runs on Intel processors will run on M-series Macs via Rosetta 2 emulation. In many cases, the speed boost from the M1 allows software to run faster in emulation than it did natively on Intel. The only software that is flat-out incompatible are apps that address specific elements of older Macs, such as utilities that make bootable mirrors of boot drives. Major software developers like Adobe have confirmed that some of their applications already run natively on the M1, while the rest run in Rosetta 2, and have native M-series versions of those apps in public beta.

I would recommend investigating the specific apps that you use to see if they have been updated to run natively on Apple Silicon, or if they are any of the relative few that need to be reworked to use the new architecture.
    This is the correct answer. Most software runs fine (source, me, I'm typing this on an M1). But since you have relatively specific needs, investigate the specific software.

The M1s are 2-3x the speed of the machines they replace but the current crop does have a couple of limitations, mostly that they only can be bought with 16G of RAM or less. If you NEED (not want, NEED) 32+, wait until the next crop of M series Macs are released, likely in the fall.

- - - Updated - - -

... that's wat.
    Holy shit the first gen laptop CPU with 8 cores is bested by a top of the line, 18 core desktop CPU. SHOCKING!

Idiot.
    I use M1 daily and M1 is slow. It's a very fast 4 core CPU and that's it. There's no magic. Just 4 cores. Check how many cores do Intel and AMD CPUs have and fucking weep. Open Rider, AppCode, Datagrip, XCode (because swiftui preview), VSCode, run something in Docker and whole system grinds to a halt. Pathetic. Expected behavior, still pathetic.

Can't wait for M2, because M1 is getting long in the tooth.
    You lie. Most because, well, there is no 4 core M1. They all come with 8 CPU cores and 7 or 8 GPU cores.

Pathetic.
    Last edited by clevin; 2021-06-18 at 07:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    M1 systems very new so bugs are still getting worked out for recovery mode etc (please dont use migration assistant just copy pasta your files over) - all in all it actually runs wow pretty well on either unit the mba or the mbp. The m2 chipset is the next gen and the higher end varient m1+/pro/x whatever its going to be called is what people are saying to wait for. The m2 would be the gen 2 with the next eye fone 4nm or 3nm chipset, the m1x/pro/+ is the deeper model you’re looking for

Lots of options: I know besides like the employee friends and fam discount etc I think Amazon is the best cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post

If your programs are computationally intensive then an Intel processor made for workstations would be better than an Apple M1. A lot of that kind of work can utilize matrices which allow for parallel processing on a workstation.
    Of course an intel desktop with high end workstation CPU will outperform an M1 laptop. If the OP doesn't care about the laptop form factor, they can get a Mac Pro. But they're after a) a Mac. and b) presumably a laptop.
    Last edited by clevin; 2021-06-18 at 07:35 PM.

Crap at what though? What is it failing to do in an efficient manner for you? The reviews are pretty unanimous that the M1 Macs have consistently outperformed expectations and are a great value for consumers. Does that mean ever use case? Of course not. But please specify your specific use case where the machine falls short. Because your anecdotal evidence falls well short of...

Tom's Guide
    Tech Radar
    Forbes
    t3
    Mashable
    PCMag
    Engadget
    MKBHD
    LTT
    PocketNow

etc...

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    This is the correct answer. Most software runs fine (source, me, I'm typing this on an M1). But since you have relatively specific needs, investigate the specific software.

The M1s are 2-3x the speed of the machines they replace but the current crop does have a couple of limitations, mostly that they only can be bought with 16G of RAM or less. If you NEED (not want, NEED) 32+, wait until the next crop of M series Macs are released, likely in the fall.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy shit the first gen laptop CPU with 8 cores is bested by a top of the line, 18 core desktop CPU. SHOCKING!

Idiot.

You lie. Most because, well, there is no 4 core M1. They all come with 8 CPU cores and 7 or 8 GPU cores.

Pathetic.
    Your assessment is correct. I took delivery of a 16gb RAM M1 equipped MacBook Pro a week and a half ago. It works for all my business need and runs WoW extremely well. It is also the first laptop I’ve owned that didn’t get hot while running WoW. Preceded by three MacBook Pro’s and a Windows laptop. All with discrete graphics.

I wanted to wait for the forthcoming 16” MBP with M1x, but my 2014 MBP’s display was progressively failing. Other than the smaller screen, I am satisfied with the performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The 7-core laptops have thermal throttling issues thanks to downgraded cooling. Pretty sure the 8/8 models thermal throttle as well. Their design sucks to repair as well.
    The air does, yeah. Pretty sure the pro doesn't throttle.

And yeah, it sucks to repair, but that's par for the course with Apple

The air does, yeah. Pretty sure the pro doesn't throttle.
    it does not, as it has active cooling. T

And yeah, it sucks to repair, but that's par for the course with Apple
    And LG, and HP, and Lenovo, and, and, and.

Thin and lights are ALL like that, regardless of manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    it does not, as it has active cooling. T

You are correct, the Pro models do feature active cooling. Although I haven’t noticed the fans coming on even once yet. Even WoW doesn’t cause it to heat up. Consequently I can play on battery for over six your only a full charge. Every previous laptop I’ve ever played on made it on either side of two hours. I’ve also noticed the power block on the charging cable doesn’t get very warm either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post

To be fair though, the M1 Macbooks take it a step further than other manufacturers who generally allow for the swapping of SSDs and at least one of the RAM sticks. Apple has made it prohibitively difficult to do so (though not technically impossible) by soldering everything.

15+ Year Old Account
    ... Wat?
    Have you not watched reviews? The m1 outperformed apples Intel based models in like 95% of use cases.
    M1 is fine, the Macbook Pro M1 is not however. Its more of an iPad than a PC.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    How do you figure?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    How do you figure?
    I guess I should be a bit more colorful. I'm zooming in on it being a PRO model and still it lacks a ton of stuff that ought to be included.
    Multi external support, lack of USB ports, "iPad" RAM and storage.
    The last two can be upgrades but I mean, it's a PRO right? And the lack of the total upgrades (probably very consciously by Apple) means the lifespan is too poor.

I wasn't very serious about the iPad comparison but I'm very serious about it not meeting what I and many view as the threshold for a PRO model.
    I see it more as a great basic model for regular work and home use not a professional tool, which it should be considering its naming policy.

Edit: one more thing and this I dont know so Im curious. Considering its fanless how would it cope with heavy workload under a prolonged period of time? How soon will it throttle down?
    Last edited by Bakis; 2021-06-20 at 10:19 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    9 out of my 10 lab memebers have a Macbook, it gets frustrating that they are unable to help me in an efficient way when I hit a brick wall. So after using windows all my life i'm now considering on buying a Macbook Pro for work.

I would use the computer for: Data analysis in the realm of Neuroimaging/Genetics. Everything is based on Matlab/Python/R. All of the tools are also available for Linux, but I refuse to touch it. It took me HOURS to install the correct version of R on a linux computer. Just no.

What's the general consensus on the new M1 Processors? With what i've been reading, it's REALLY risky to buy one of them now. Should I just buy a (more expensive) Intel version?
    The biggest thing is to make sure that there is strong software support for the Apple platform.

I use a Macbook for work and a Windows PC at home. Neither is superior to the other. They both do OS things just fine (and both have annoying flaws that the vendor doesn't want to fix). Some software is better supported on Mac and some is better supported on Windows.

To be completely honest, if most of your support network has Macs, you might as just get one yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    This is just an ignorant comment. But hey, look another person gatekeeping what PRO should mean.

Oh and dude? The MBP model does have a fan. The Air does not. Given that you don't even know that, why should anyone take you seriously?

PS: while it's certainly not a pro workload, the M1 Air I'm typing this on runs WoW at graphics setting 8, at 60FPS and gets slightly warm after a couple of hours. Spinning up fans to 7000rpm is only necessary if your CPU/GPU can't give decent performance without generating tons of heats. The M1 does fine.

OP - can't recall if I said this above but if the software you need runs on an Intel MacBook it will run on the M1 even if it uses the Rosetta 2 layer. I'd get the M1 vs intel since if your apps get moved to being Universal apps you'll see even better performance. The only reason to wait would be if you want to see what models that handle more than 16g RAM or more than 8 cores look like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    To be fair though, the M1 Macbooks take it a step further than other manufacturers who generally allow for the swapping of SSDs and at least one of the RAM sticks. Apple has made it prohibitively difficult to do so (though not technically impossible) by soldering everything.
    While this is true, the fact is that very few people outside of hobbyists upgrade their machines, even their desktops (I once saw an article claiming this was 5% of people, though I can't find that citation). With Macs, especially laptops, the best approach is to buy what you believe you will need for the next ~3 years or so. At the 3 year mark you can usually sell that used Mac for about 40% of its new price. Since Macs don't really move much in price, that means you can buy a new MacBook for 60% of the price out of pocket. That's usually going to get you more bang for the buck than playing the upgrade game.
    Last edited by clevin; 2021-06-20 at 10:43 PM.