Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The truth about the class hall and why it didn't deserve to die.

Before I start, what am I going to say ... have you noticed that DKs still have an active Class Hall that gives them news about any expansion ?? (Runeforge).
    Well ... Now here we go:

If you go on youtube and review when the devs were announcing the Class Hall news, you will notice that they announce Class Hall as something that will start in Legion and should be active forever. But it died. When was the last time your Main Char set foot in his Class Hall ??

What would have happened ?? I remember that 90% of the player-base (maybe more) loved their Class Hall. I remember reading in the forums some saying that they entered there and did not want to leave. As if they had truly found the home of their class. What went wrong ??

I answer to you: There was an "exhaustion of ideas". Nobody among the developers can look forward to Lore and keep Class Hall for us at the same time.
    My God!! Have you seen any DK complaining about having to go to Runeforge in their Class Hall ??

Think along with me. Imagine that:

Imagine you, Warlock, that today there is an NPC in your Class Hall that gives you a quest where you can earn new skins for your demons as a reward. Or maybe even summon the entire new demon.

Imagine you Rogue, that today in your Class Hall there is an NPC that with each new patch gives you new herbs that allow you to create new poisons that will have totally new and different effects on your enemies.

Imagine you Druid, being able to acquire new shapes in your Class Hall.

Paladins and Warriors, what do you think you can forge new shields and weapons exclusive to your classes in your Class Hall ??

Death Knights (Yes DKs) your Class Hall is still good for something (Runeforge) but how about an up grade? Imagine being able to pick up new quests in your Class Hall that will allow you to summon new Ghouls ??

Same like that with Hunters, DHs, Priests... etc etc etc...

And of course, imagine that with each new major patch each Class Hall is selling you new exclusive xmogs or cosmetics for your class ??? Would it be so bad ??

Yes, we can go to Shadowlands, Jesus ... we can go to Narnia, whatever ... in the next expansion ... without ever losing Class Hall. Or not?
    Am I the only one who thinks that way?
    What went wrong ??
    The only thing I can think of is ... someone on the development team thought it was a bad idea to invest in our classes.
    So they took the Class sets from us ... and unfortunately the Class Hall.
    Thoughts?

(english is not my first lenguage, sorry for something).
    Last edited by Fantazma; 2021-05-11 at 09:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what's "ze truff"? Still waiting on that one.

But for the sake of humor, let me ask you. Let's say you roll a new toon today, how do you see it acquiring Class Hall? Will it have to go through completely unrelated content in the middle of nowhere? Will Blizzard have to change story for 12 Class Halls every expansion now?

How would it work?

Like borrowed power, this is a feature that was only relevant during Legion - however sad that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    So what's "ze truff"? Still waiting on that one.

But for the sake of humor, let me ask you. Let's say you roll a new toon today, how do you see it acquiring Class Hall? Will it have to go through completely unrelated content in the middle of nowhere? Will Blizzard have to change story for 12 Class Halls every expansion now?

How would it work?
    I believe that "ze truff" is the addition to each of our "perzonal truff". This is mine.

On "how to" introduce new players to the class hall ... do you really believe this would be a problem ?? It is the same as thinking: How are we going to introduce new players in Ogrimmar or Storm Wind ... if all the "Champions" are now on an adventure in Shadowlands ??

Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    I believe that "ze truff" is the addition to each of our "perzonal truff". This is mine.

On "how to" introduce new players to the class hall ... do you really believe this would be a problem ?? It is the same as thinking: How are we going to introduce new players in Ogrimmar or Storm Wind ... if all the "Champions" are now on an adventure in Shadowlands ??
    So the truth is there is no truth. Also all classes and races (except DK and DH, haven't tried Pandaren yet) start in Org and SW or are put there almost immediately but Class Halls are Legion.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with new capitals having class areas (like they used to in older capital cities) and using those small areas as a basis for whatever class-specific content there may be (like cosmetic armor vendors, class legendary upgrades, class quests being offered there, etc.).

I do kinda miss seeing each race's take on various classes in those kind of special areas like the old capitals. I think it'd be cool.
    Last edited by Razion; 2021-05-11 at 10:00 PM.

I really hate that kind of youtube click baity title "the truth about" which it never is.
    But,i do agree that the game should focus on classes rather than azerites and covenants. Was one of the few things Legion did right.

I really hope they'll find a way to incorporate the Order Halls into the starting experience of a class in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    So the truth is there is no truth. Also all classes and races (except DK and DH, haven't tried Pandaren yet) start in Org and SW or are put there almost immediately but Class Halls are Legion.
    They can simply place a mandatory quest in each major city they send you to Dalaran and after that to your Class Hall. I can't see a problem with this. Serious.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Legion, but goddamn did I love the class order halls and associated campaigns. It was such a nice way to make your class feel important, and made the character an important member of the class.

Maybe it doesn't make sense for each order to be involved in every story, but dropping in every once in a while and having *something* would be great. Being the leader of a powerful order should amount to something. These groups should still be out there doing things. It's a great storytelling hook. It doesn't need to be hugem ir even really tie heavily into the current expansion narrative, but we it's a missed opportunity to have nothing at all going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gunna have to ask for a source on that 90% of the playerbase loved their class hall. I liked the aesthetics of most of them, but there's nothing to do in them. They were just classed themed afk-hubs. I'd say across my 12 chars, that I spent more time in dalaran than I did in my class hall. Whether you were for them or against them, there's really nothing memorable about them because they didn't provide much of anything. I don't see any value in revitalizing class halls when they provided pretty much nothing outside of expansion specific features.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

The Order Halls died shortly after Legion launch.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    The reason they didn't go forward is that BfA was a faction war expansion. How do you explain Blood Knights and Sunwalkers alongside the other Paladins? Do you think they would just welcome Zandalari into the Order of the Silver Hand, canonically? Order Halls were all of the class coming together to serve a purpose. I mean you can argue that classes like Rogues, Warlocks, and a few others may have no problem continuing to work with each other ... but it doesn't apply to all of them.

And as said, it didn't even survive Legion. They were essentially abandoned when we got to return to the Broken Shore and completely abandoned when we went to Argus.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

I liked most of my class halls, but I couldn't really see how Paladin worked. You have the Light, the naaru, and the sun all as separate sources of power. You have different belief structures there. And while the druid class hall at the time made sense, now we have the Gonk and Drust druids that have no tie to that hall at all. Personally, I prefer a covenant-like system where the decision is class agnostic to something like class halls where my class determines everything about my character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because not all class halls are amazing
    Priest campaign felt 2nd degree, hunter class hall is boring and rogue class hall is where u flush ur toilet shit instead of the amazing Ravenhold they have since classic, druid forgot moonglade that exist since classic too and found another tree to hug
    Paladin class hall is great, mage is great, DK is best, warrior one was weird (barely fit arms warrior, but doesn't fit at all fury warrior or protection either)
    It may not deserved to die for DK, but i didn't like rogue class hall in first place to want it to stay, class campaign and chain quests were great, but seriously some class halls were big question mark or just flat out insult (like rogue shit hall)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    You have the Light, the naaru, and the sun all as separate sources of power. You have different belief structures there.
    no u don't, official lore paladin source is just light, naaru is more of conduit and sun is for druid of sun who should be lorewise NOT paladins and don't even set foot in their class hall, but blizz of course love to shit on their own lore for the lolz
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Class halls was place with mission table, artifact forge and few questlines. Covenants are pretty much the same, although story is way longer, we have only 4 and we can experience all on 1 char (4 if you don't want to swap). For me choice is obvious.

Although I would like class quests here and there, just not important story chapters hidden behind mission table and grind.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    no u don't, official lore paladin source is just light, naaru is more of conduit and sun is for druid of sun who should be lorewise NOT paladins and don't even set foot in their class hall, but blizz of course love to shit on their own lore for the lolz
    Sorry, that wasn't very clear of me. I was referring to the deific construct of the Church of the Holy Light here, not the plane of Light. Even if naaru are just "conduits," the paladin orders that stemmed from Naaru (both blood knights and draenei paladins) are culturally and theologically distinct from those of humans and dwarves. And that's different from those worshipping An'she, a sun god that was born from the Earth Mother. Which is also different from prelates worshipping Rezan, a loa that bestows his power to the zandalari. Even if all of these power sources came from the Plane of Light, they are still culturally and theologically distinct, and the order hall shoehorns them all together since they're all paladins but have less in common than, say, human paladins and human priests from the Church, or tauren sunwalkers and seers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    Sorry, that wasn't very clear of me. I was referring to the deific construct of the Church of the Holy Light here, not the plane of Light. Even if naaru are just "conduits," the paladin orders that stemmed from Naaru (both blood knights and draenei paladins) are culturally and theologically distinct from those of humans and dwarves. And that's different from those worshipping An'she, a sun god that was born from the Earth Mother. Which is also different from prelates worshipping Rezan, a loa that bestows his power to the zandalari. Even if all of these power sources came from the Plane of Light, they are still culturally and theologically distinct, and the order hall shoehorns them all together since they're all paladins but have less in common than, say, human paladins and human priests from the Church, or tauren sunwalkers and seers.
    Troll 'paladins' are also more of gameplay than lore, and they also shouldn't set foot in paladin class hall
    Belf paladins are now correct paladins since tbc ended
    only thing similar i can think about is how wow treat DK players as humanoids even if lorewise they are undead since their creations
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Its old stuff as retail seems to think it is a good thing to leave everything in the dust when a new expansion is released.

We even see it in wow classic Tbc they are doing some stupid changes so you will have even less reasons to visit Azeroth in Tbc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    I remember that 90% of the player-base (maybe more) loved their Class Hall. I remember reading in the forums some saying that they entered there and did not want to leave. As if they had truly found the home of their class. What went wrong ??
    And in that place its go wrong.
    Most Class Halls dont fit class fantasy in most ways.
    Warriors one? Totaly missed. No lore figures, just random vrykuls. Oh, and Ymiron that was a Vrykul.
    Paladin one? Only for human and dwarf paladins. Sunwalkers, Blood Knights and even Vindicators has no place in it.
    DKs was ok.
    Shamans was ok too.
    Hunters was missplaced. Just for NElves and Highmountain taurens that wasnot even playable that days. But for most part is reasonable.
    Druids was for Alliance druids. Troll druids and Tauren ones? Missed. But its just for me, some might like it.
    Monks was cheap, just start zone for pandarens. What about some pandarens from other classes?
    Rogues was missed too. You have Ravenholdt, but nope, sewers are for you.
    DH was great. Darky and edgy, but just like class.
    Priest one lacks more prominent priest fantasy. It fits for Alliance priests but not for Horde ones. Voodoo? Sun? Maybe spirits? Nope, take naaru shit and eat it.
    And for Blizz favorite classes it was great:
    Mages had awesome class HALL with great and fitting background and place.
    Warlocks had good one too. a f*cking PITLORD in chains and his heart as power conductor. Great fit for theirs class fantasy.