Hero spec (4th spec) idea

I would love a 4th spec based on a combination of skills/talents from current PVE/PVP abilities from all specs of a given class. Kind of like a jack of all trades master of none of your own class that represents the class and not be limited to a single spec. Essentially a hero spec. Some of the PvP abilities are so cool I think they should be allowed in instances as part of this hero spec.

Edit:
    OK, I think the jack of all trades master of none wording is not exactly how I should have presented this idea. Maybe just a hero class version of a given class but in the form of a spec unlockable at max level via an epic quest line.

Edit #2: If, like some are saying, balance becomes a showstopper for such an idea to come to fruition, then make it an illusion of a spec, meaning copy another spec as-is, keeping the backend the same, and change spell animations and ability wording (pretty sure they already do that....)
    Last edited by RemasteredClassic; 2021-05-12 at 03:53 AM.

As a master of nothing, they're useless.

A healer without all the healing tools, a tank that doesn't have all the tank tools, and a dps without all the dps tools.

Only way this works is if, through talents, you jerry-rig this multi-role spec into leaning into one role. Funnily enough, the talent system almost supports this by having three rows - one for each role. But at that point, the spec wouldn't have any choice of talents beyond adjusting to the role needed of a group. The spec being dynamic may be interesting. But it may be a problem when, because it would be lacking tools of so many of the specs, it would baseline be an easier version of all the specs it would be copying - and if it ended up better while also being easier, that'd be a problem. The proposition of it being master of none, again, puts in the idea that a spec could be nearly identical while also being weaker.

Here's the thing, we kind of have a way to do this already with talents. There are many builds that are 'less good, but the same spec' that are possible, but no one takes because they are, numerically, worse. People don't pick what isn't optimal. By design, the hero spec would have to be worse at any of the roles when it was trying to fill to anything else while being an easier version of those, or it would be demonstrably toxic in terms of effort given to output given. The 'true' version of the spec, that's harder, being weaker than the jack version with less to do but doing more wouldn't be accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    I would love a 4th spec based on a combination of skills/talents from current PVE/PVP abilities from all specs of a given class. Kind of like a jack of all trades master of non of your own class that represents the class and not be limited to a single spec. Essentially a hero spec. Some of the PvP abilities are so cool I think they should be allowed in instances as well as part of this hero spec.
    I think a jack-of-all-trades spec is the exact opposite of what id want out of s fourth spec. So many opportunities for new roles matching existing themes within the classes, and you just want more of the same?

I want a shadow healing spec for priests, a holy caster damage spec for paladins, dual-wielding hunters, 2h+shield gladiator warriors, 2h ninja-rogues, geomancer shaman tanks....

Sounds like... Classic classes in a spec? Where they have access to the vast majority of a class's toolkit and only misses out on a few key abilities per spec?

I'm imaging like a Paladin that is missing Holy Shock/Beacon of Light, Crusader Strike/Templar's Verdict, and Avenger's Shield/Hammer of Righteousness. But has everything else all 3 specs do.

Sounds like they could kind of do everything to some extent, but be good at nothing. This would only world if you brought back paid spec changes or something, else you'd just pick the best spec for a situation...

Overall hard pass. I can think of many great 4th spec options per class and this seems like a step back in game design.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Sounds like hybrids? Didnt end well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

OK, I think the jack of all trades master of none wording is not exactly how I should have presented this idea. Maybe just a hero class version of a given class but in the form of a spec unlockable at max level via an epic quest line.

That's a way more workable concept. Specs like Blademaster or Mountain King, those kinds of fantasies would make awesome specs.

As Amnaught said earlier in the thread, I agree specs like 2h rogue, earth shaman, caster dps paladin, gladiator warrior, shadow healing, etc. are all cool spec premises that can be tied to either old rpg class titles or old hero unit titles to give the prestige.

Game is struggling for balance and spec identity with 36 specs, and you wanna make it 48?

Please no.

Adding specs require work, so that's out of the question for Blizzard these days. See DH, and gladiator warrior for what to expect since wod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Game is struggling for balance and spec identity with 36 specs, and you wanna make it 48?

Please no.
    But that is always true, whether we have one spec or a thousand, this is the sort of thing that will never ever truly be solved unless you create an illusion of a spec, meaning the backend uses the exact same spells, but what the player sees is a different animation and ability wording.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    That's a way more workable concept. Specs like Blademaster or Mountain King, those kinds of fantasies would make awesome specs.

As Amnaught said earlier in the thread, I agree specs like 2h rogue, earth shaman, caster dps paladin, gladiator warrior, shadow healing, etc. are all cool spec premises that can be tied to either old rpg class titles or old hero unit titles to give the prestige.
    I think at this point, anything would be nice to make the game feel fresh since it tends to feel outdated pretty quickly due to tab targeting, auto attack...etc.
    So, even an illusion of a spec with just animations looking different would be nice.

I think at this point, anything would be nice to make the game feel fresh since it tends to feel outdated pretty quickly due to tab targeting, auto attack...etc.
    So, even an illusion of a spec with just animations looking different would be nice.
    I agree to an extent, but if the specs are just easier versions of other specs, that isn't really a new spec, it's a Diet Other Spec.

Whereas being just visually distinct and it's like - well, that wouldn't be a difference of gameplay but rather only cosmetics at that point, and that's not enough for another spec at least imo.

I think it's expected that specs all play differently and have their own gameplay as well as a distinct theme or fantasy (and more still, like utility for groups and unique sets of talents and more) to set it apart from all the other specs in the game.

A spec can't be "that other spec, but blue". Because at that point, it may as well be Spec Transmog, not Entirely New Spec.

Granted, Specialization Transmogrification in ways like Green Fire are fine as Spec Transmog -- because people expect with Transmog that it's just a visual difference -- but when it comes to an entire new Specialization I think the expectation is different, it has to include its own gameplay style to reflect that unique theme and fantasy. Otherwise, I think people will be upset.

How can you have hero spec when you are not a hero, you are NOTHING!

The writer have sylvanna broke fourth wall and tell you this in your face even!

If my high mountain tauren is a hero, he wouldnt join the horde, he wouldnt burn the tree, and even if he got brainwash to do all those, he would defect with saurfang.. but oh well, I am nothing, thats why. hero? LOL
    Last edited by gobio; 2021-05-12 at 04:32 AM.

No, it would not. In fact, it would become absurd having 'similar' specs with different names\wording\color animations, just for the sake of 'having more specs'.

They are either diverse and unique in their own way, or what's the point. At all?

Sigh, why bother. Sure man, just petition to have 200 specs in the game. You could be a 'Fire' mage, with 10 specs exactly the same, just pick the color of your spells! NICE

one step at a time. give dh a third spec

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Rather than Specs, I would prefer more cosmetics like Green Fire Warlock.

But, more specs wouldn't be a bad thing. But, balance is already difficult.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

I'd like to see Priest split into two classes instead. One for Holy theme, one for shadow / void theme.

Shadow priest could have; Shadow (Current style) Void (Legion style.) and Discipline (Healer.)
    Holy priest could have; Holy, Purifier (Holy themed DPS caster.)

There's a few resons why this would be a positive, I've posted about it before, so not gonna go into details, but it's a gain in both Lore, gameplay and aestheticd.