Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Yakuza 7 such a hit Sega is now expanding their worldwide release schedule to ATLUS

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status...67234408910848

I still can't believe just how well Ichiban's wild ride has done. I mean don't get me wrong its easily my 2020 game of the year and the best jrpg i've played since the ps2 era but the sales, the highest in the entire Yakuza series, along with the worldwide reception has really, really surprised me.

and it would appear SEGA as well as its apparently spurring them to expand their simultaneous worldwide, multiplatform release schedule from things like Sonic and Yakuza games to the Atlus catalogue as well. Which naturally has folks still waiting for SMTV on the switch happy and the idea of a worldwide release of persona 6 on all platforms ain't too shabby either. Hopefully it will also apply to some of the independent games Atlus and Sega buy up to publish that otherswise have had to go with NIS in the past to varying degrees of translation nightmares.

Still i can't believe Ichiban is basically being for Sega in the 2020's what Sonic the Hedgehog was in the 1990's. What a strange timeline we live in.

Sega is a fantastic company as long as Sonic Team doesn't touch anything...like most of what they make is pretty damned good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not having to wait a year or more for Atlus games to release in English would be great. It was ridiculous how it took over a year for Scramble to get an English release after it came out in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Not having to wait a year or more for Atlus games to release in English would be great. It was ridiculous how it took over a year for Scramble to get an English release after it came out in Japan.
    Atlus has always been terrible about that and... it doesn't look like its going change any time soon. but yeah IDK why Sega is so surprised by the yakuza series popularity?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status...67234408910848

I still can't believe just how well Ichiban's wild ride has done.
    Is it for men?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Persona 5 on PC plz, thx.

This is really nice. Thanks, sega.
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    and it would appear SEGA as well as its apparently spurring them to expand their simultaneous worldwide, multiplatform release
    They said this last year. And we still have no word on a Shin Sakura Wars PC port, let alone official localization of the older games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    Atlus has always been terrible about that and... it doesn't look like its going change any time soon. but yeah IDK why Sega is so surprised by the yakuza series popularity?
    It could happen if Sega is actually serious about putting their feet down with Atlus and the way they approach localization.

E.g Sega said they'd make Yakuza a multiplatform series, and since then we've got all 8 mainline games on PC and xbox too.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    It could happen if Sega is actually serious about putting their feet down with Atlus and the way they approach localization.

E.g Sega said they'd make Yakuza a multiplatform series, and since then we've got all 8 mainline games on PC and xbox too.
    the ONE time I want a publisher to be overbearing, for real they need to like threaten Atlus to get in gear or something...

10+ Year Old Account
    For those unfamiliar with the Atlus series any examples?

Also weren't they holding off with releasing the latest yakuza game on PC or am i wrong on that remember reading something about that.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post

Also weren't they holding off with releasing the latest yakuza game on PC or am i wrong on that remember reading something about that.
    the main one is Persona, they have shin migami tensei Nocturne getting an update as well. need to check on that actually.

ATLUS is notoriously out of touch (like many Japanese game companies) when it comes to PC releases. The fact they were so surprised at Persona 4 Golden's success on Steam is testament to that.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    the main one is Persona, they have shin migami tensei Nocturne getting an update as well. need to check on that actually.
    Oh Persona i know, started playing 4 recently.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    They said this last year. And we still have no word on a Shin Sakura Wars PC port, let alone official localization of the older games.
    I take it as they are trying to push a "from now on" thing. I don't imagine stuff thats already in the works will apply. Much as it would be nice to see Megaten as a whole not stick to one platform with persona basically usurping it as the mainline rather than spin off entry in the series. I dont think they are starting more multiplatform versions for stuff already in the works. Which sucks for the stuff that we have been waiting on for a while. Like Shin Megami Tensei V was announced four years ago. This has to apply to the future projects to make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

A few off the top of my head:
    Catherine
    Shin Megami Tensei and its spin off Persona
    Etrian Odyssey
    13 Sentinels Aehis Rim
    They originally published Demon's Souls in the west after a lot of sony higher ups said it was pointless and "doomed to fail"
    River City Ransom EX
    Snowboard Kids
    Friday the 13th

Mostly the whole "megaten" franchise which is ...a lot. Like it puts kingdom hearts to shame.

Judgement, the spinoff series from Yakuza is the one still not on PC.

And yes this is kind of a joke coming from Sega. Most of their games are not WW releases and most of them take longer to localize then Atlus games AND they make atlus help localize them to boot. Leave it to dope danny to take the bait on a headline and think anything is changing though.

Not sure why they are acting like Yakuza 7 was a WW release. It took TEN MONTHS to localize it ffs. The only time Atlus has ever taken that long was for Scramble/Strikers and it was cause of Covid basically shutting down voice acting studios in CA. Atlus is miles better then the main sega branch and getting their games localized faster. They both need to learn from each other, Atlus with porting to more platforms and Sega with releasing their games in the west without a fucking year in between.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-05-12 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    ATLUS is notoriously out of touch (like many Japanese game companies) when it comes to PC releases. The fact they were so surprised at Persona 4 Golden's success on Steam is testament to that.
    Catherine port for PC when Catherine: Full Body was already announced/released for Playstation was also a great moment for that. "Let's port the inferior version, with them knowing a "definitive" one exists".

I really wish they'd get their head out of their asses and start doing multiplatform releases day 1 for all regions, rather than PS4 or Switch exclusive games with the english versions being released a year afterwards with the possibility of upgraded versions already being announced...
    Yakuza Like a Dragon's (not Atlus, but still Sega) western release was almost a perfect example. It released on PC, X1, XSX and PS4, with only PS5 being left out due to the bs exclusivity crap, but otherwise, almost best case.
    Hoping 13 Sentinels will also see the day of light on other platforms, because it seems to be a really good game

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah seems Atlus does have some games i might be interesting in, as most JRPG's they are slow burners so take some time getting into.

Shin Megami Tensei also looks interesting and the pictures did show a link to persona 4.

It is indeed a shame the Japanese gaming market is so held back for releasing globally or just in other markets, their weirdness seems to do rather well and you would think with how popular anima has become in the west it would be a no brainer, although i have no idea how much funds are needed to localize these games from Japanese into something else, i don't think you can really translate everything directly.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

The market research company I work for ran focus tests for Sega and the Yakuza franchise last year. People LOVED Like a Dragon. Not at all surprising that this would be the result of the fantastic feedback Sega was getting in almost all tests. The studies we ran had an 87% incidence rating and they had a T3B rating closer to 94%. Very positive feedback from consumers.

I know what the next games are going to be like but I can't talk about it in too much detail yet. I can say, they won't all be limited to the same setting but they will all be turn-based RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The market research company I work for ran focus tests for Sega and the Yakuza franchise last year. People LOVED Like a Dragon. Not at all surprising that this would be the result of the fantastic feedback Sega was getting in almost all tests. The studies we ran had an 87% incidence rating and they had a T3B rating closer to 94%. Very positive feedback from consumers.

I know what the next games are going to be like but I can't talk about it in too much detail yet. I can say, they won't all be limited to the same setting but they will all be turn-based RPGs.
    I hope this means that SEGA will stop the nonsense of turning their turn based franchises like Valkyria Chronicles and Sakura Wars into action games no one wanted. Hopefully New Sakura Wars 2 will be turn based again.