1. #2321
    Banned Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Berenstein Timeline
    Posts
    54,805
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    The IDF doesn't target a building unless Hamas is specifically using it to further their terrorist agenda.
    According to the IDF, who totally don't have a vested interest in reassuring everyone else that what they're doing is totes legit and not at all a war crime. /s

  2. #2322
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    So most of the dictators of the globe ? Great exemple I guess. And they mostly do it to piss off the West who tend to support Israel and do not want to deal with terrorists (Hamas)
    yes, and usa lapdogs dont recognize palestine.... yay....
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings

  3. #2323
    Arab Islamist helps clinch Israel's new anti-Netanyahu government

    It was a photo opportunity for the history books: An Islamist politician from Israel's Arab minority grinning alongside a far-right Jewish leader and his allies, moments after endorsing him as prime minister and handing him a governing majority.

    Common cause against Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu helped bring Mansour Abbas into the political fold late on Wednesday, his tiny Islamist faction securing a paper-thin majority for Jewish parties hoping to unseat Israel's longest serving premier.

  4. #2324
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...ough-jerusalem

    "Israel’s new government has approved a controversial march by far-right nationalists and pro-settler groups through occupied East Jerusalem’s Old City, a step that risks inflaming tensions with Palestinians hours after Benjamin Netanyahu handed over power to Prime Minister Naftali Bennett."

    Good start!

  5. #2325
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Arab Islamist helps clinch Israel's new anti-Netanyahu government

    It was a photo opportunity for the history books: An Islamist politician from Israel's Arab minority grinning alongside a far-right Jewish leader and his allies, moments after endorsing him as prime minister and handing him a governing majority.

    Common cause against Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu helped bring Mansour Abbas into the political fold late on Wednesday, his tiny Islamist faction securing a paper-thin majority for Jewish parties hoping to unseat Israel's longest serving premier.
    I appreciate more people coming into the fold to admire the power Palestinian Arabs living in Israel wield in the former mandate of palestine. Especially from someone who just got done imagining the US is only interested in Israel for the oil and believes Israel is committing war crimes. Truly heartwarming stuff.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  6. #2326
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I appreciate more people coming into the fold to admire the power Palestinian Arabs living in Israel wield in the former mandate of palestine. Especially from someone who just got done imagining the US is only interested in Israel for the oil and believes Israel is committing war crimes. Truly heartwarming stuff.
    Tehdang uses irony.
    ...

    It is ineffective.

  7. #2327
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I appreciate more people coming into the fold to admire the power Palestinian Arabs living in Israel wield in the former mandate of palestine. Especially from someone who just got done imagining the US is only interested in Israel for the oil and believes Israel is committing war crimes. Truly heartwarming stuff.
    The story does nothing to push against my opinion.
    But I do appreciate the imagination and the sarcasm.

  8. #2328
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,228
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I appreciate more people coming into the fold to admire the power Palestinian Arabs living in Israel wield in the former mandate of palestine. Especially from someone who just got done imagining the US is only interested in Israel for the oil and believes Israel is committing war crimes. Truly heartwarming stuff.
    Maybe they are committing war crimes. I wonder what their reaction would be if the ICC started to investigate. I'm sure they'd cooperate because they have nothing to hide.

    Yeah, anyway, day one of their new government and they're already handing out orders to demolish Palestinian homes in Negev villages.
    Good thing Arabs have so much political power in that democracy.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  9. #2329
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The story does nothing to push against my opinion.
    But I do appreciate the imagination and the sarcasm.
    Hell, if you reported the story alongside "Farce of a unity government expected to continue Israeli war crimes," I'd consider it par for the course. The framing and lack of immediate grumble was pleasant and I think it does you credit.

    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    Maybe they are committing war crimes. I wonder what their reaction would be if the ICC started to investigate. I'm sure they'd cooperate because they have nothing to hide.

    Yeah, anyway, day one of their new government and they're already handing out orders to demolish Palestinian homes in Negev villages.
    Good thing Arabs have so much political power in that democracy.
    Maybe you can now accuse Islamist Arabs of covering up war crimes committed against other Islamist Arabs. Let's see Mansour Abbas terminate the United Arab List's participation in the government, subtly confirming that Arab participation never happened.

    Or Mansour Abbas capitalizes on all the conditions won from his coalition as terms for his participation like a good politician should, and people have even less to gripe about than they did before.

    I hardly know if certain anti-Israeli agitators will blame Abbas for being blind to what his own coalition government is doing, or mute and unable to speak out against it. In any case, I expect his agency in the situation to be downgraded in some fashion.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  10. #2330
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I appreciate more people coming into the fold to admire the power Palestinian Arabs living in Israel wield in the former mandate of palestine. Especially from someone who just got done imagining the US is only interested in Israel for the oil and believes Israel is committing war crimes. Truly heartwarming stuff.
    ROFLMAO this coalition will collapse they have nothing in common. Once Bibi is convicted and barred from office it will fall apart the only thing this speaks to is how hated Bibi is, people that hate each other just hate him more even the people he was friends / co workers with. What a detestable piece of shit he must be not surprising considering he uses his dead brother as a prop.

  11. #2331
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You have israel to thank for hamas... Israel was more scared of a popular left secularist party and propped up the conservative religious fundamentalist... sounds oh so familiar doesn’t it? And what anti Semitic problem on the left?
    Antisemitism disguised as antizionism. For one example, a left wing group barred Jewish symbols at an lgbt pride parade and later used language directed at zionists that has been used by David Duke to describe jews. While there have been some harassment of Jewish people from left wing individuals under the guise of attacking Israeli zionists.

    Again, I am stating for record being against Israel or zionism isn't anti semitism, but there are antisemites who use antizionism as a mask for their antisemitism.
    Last edited by eillas; 2021-06-15 at 03:36 AM.

  12. #2332
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    ROFLMAO this coalition will collapse they have nothing in common. Once Bibi is convicted and barred from office it will fall apart the only thing this speaks to is how hated Bibi is, people that hate each other just hate him more even the people he was friends / co workers with. What a detestable piece of shit he must be not surprising considering he uses his dead brother as a prop.
    You won't be the only one with reservations about the coalition's future, but you're also failing to mention the fact that the coalition government deposing Netanyahu critically included Palestinians in Israel that used their power of the vote. I appreciate the deflecting towards Netanyahu's future and the coalition's future, as much as it's a more pleasant topic than the expression of Arab power, agency, and incorporation within Israel.

    Hamas missiles fell on Palestinian Arabs too, and endangered their lives, lest we forget.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  13. #2333
    Banned Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Berenstein Timeline
    Posts
    54,805
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    you're also failing to mention the fact that the coalition government deposing Netanyahu critically included Palestinians in Israel
    Okay, and?

    Israel will get credit when they stop the colonization, apartheid, and war crimes. Otherwise this is as inane as saying racism ceased in America the minute Obama was elected.

  14. #2334
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,104
    Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    Antisemitism disguised as antizionism. For one example, a left wing group barred Jewish symbols at an lgbt pride parade and later used language directed at zionists that has been used by David Duke to describe jews. While there have been some harassment of Jewish people from left wing individuals under the guise of attacking Israeli zionists.

    Again, I am stating for record being against Israel or zionism isn't anti semitism, but there are antisemites who use antizionism as a mask for their antisemitism.
    You seem to be talking about the Dyke March in either Chicago (2017) or DC (2019). In both cases, it was only flags with a central Star of David that were banned, and solely because of their similarity to the Israeli flag. So you seem to be misrepresenting the facts a bit.

    I don't necessarily agree with their choice on that, but in the 2019 march at least, they were allowing any Star of David pride flags where the symbol wasn't central; they were suggesting it be in a corner. It wasn't about "Jewish symbols", it was about nationalist symbols. Explicitly.

    And sure, while some antisemites use antizionism to hide their views, some antisemites use zionism to hide their views. A lot, actually. Christian Zionism isn't exactly a secret movement.

    Conflating Israeli symbols with Jewishness is precisely the problem. You need to be able to separate the two issues, the same way that attacking China for its abuses of the Uighur peoples (among other things) isn't an argument that Chinese culture or traditions or Chinese people in general are "bad", it's entirely about the political structure.

  15. #2335
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You seem to be talking about the Dyke March in either Chicago (2017) or DC (2019). In both cases, it was only flags with a central Star of David that were banned, and solely because of their similarity to the Israeli flag. So you seem to be misrepresenting the facts a bit.

    I don't necessarily agree with their choice on that, but in the 2019 march at least, they were allowing any Star of David pride flags where the symbol wasn't central; they were suggesting it be in a corner. It wasn't about "Jewish symbols", it was about nationalist symbols. Explicitly.

    And sure, while some antisemites use antizionism to hide their views, some antisemites use zionism to hide their views. A lot, actually. Christian Zionism isn't exactly a secret movement.

    Conflating Israeli symbols with Jewishness is precisely the problem. You need to be able to separate the two issues, the same way that attacking China for its abuses of the Uighur peoples (among other things) isn't an argument that Chinese culture or traditions or Chinese people in general are "bad", it's entirely about the political structure.
    The thing is that the star of David while yes, is the Israeli symbol is an important Jewish symbol that is used today to identify as Jewish. It has existed since before the creation of Israel. edit: I was referring to the former. For jews like me, the star of David isn't nationalist. It is a symbol of our religion and culture.
    Last edited by eillas; 2021-06-15 at 04:29 AM.

  16. #2336
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,104
    Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    The thing is that the star of David while yes, is the Israeli symbol is an important Jewish symbol that is used today to identify as Jewish. It has existed since before the creation of Israel. edit: I was referring to the former. For jews like me, the star of David isn't nationalist. It is a symbol of our religion and culture.
    And, to repeat, the LGBT march you were referencing didn't ban the Star of David. Just its placement in the middle of the flag, in the same place as in the Israeli flag, because of that comparison.

    You're mixing anti-semitic stuff up with opposition to Israel's actions on political grounds.

  17. #2337
    Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    Antisemitism disguised as antizionism. For one example, a left wing group barred Jewish symbols at an lgbt pride parade and later used language directed at zionists that has been used by David Duke to describe jews. While there have been some harassment of Jewish people from left wing individuals under the guise of attacking Israeli zionists.

    Again, I am stating for record being against Israel or zionism isn't anti semitism, but there are antisemites who use antizionism as a mask for their antisemitism.
    Yeah talk to them then. It's a serious accusation though so make sure you back it up.

  18. #2338
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    18,162
    Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    Antisemitism disguised as antizionism. For one example, a left wing group barred Jewish symbols at an lgbt pride parade and later used language directed at zionists that has been used by David Duke to describe jews. While there have been some harassment of Jewish people from left wing individuals under the guise of attacking Israeli zionists.

    Again, I am stating for record being against Israel or zionism isn't anti semitism, but there are antisemites who use antizionism as a mask for their antisemitism.
    The whole reason that antisemitism is and can be confused with antizionism is that those who dislike criticism of Israeli politics purposefully confuse them. Even the Former PM of Israel is guilty of that and so are undoubtedly several organizations the more extreme the more likely this rhetoric surfaces and this type of propaganda is spread, not to mention people like Bibi also strongly advocated that all Jews return to Israel as it is supposedly the only safe place for them, ignoring all the efforts being made elsewhere to protect said communities while people like Bibi also advocate for provocation and discrimination against non-Jewish Arabs in Israel, what is today's a root cause for the increase in antisemitism.

    When everything is turned into racist talk by yourself to be used as a sort of shield for criticism from ones own behavior you cannot later come back and declare that everyone who criticizes you is a racist. That is not how this works, it is also very easy for people who can put two and two together to spot this as they struggle to acknowledge any wrong doing by the state of Israel and always find a way to rational and even justify any behavior.


    But please stop the victim act, it is embarrassing and insulting to people with a minor level of understanding of all this. Racism is an ugly thing and has to die out, but this fire is being stoked from more than one side alone.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

  19. #2339
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    You won't be the only one with reservations about the coalition's future, but you're also failing to mention the fact that the coalition government deposing Netanyahu critically included Palestinians in Israel that used their power of the vote. I appreciate the deflecting towards Netanyahu's future and the coalition's future, as much as it's a more pleasant topic than the expression of Arab power, agency, and incorporation within Israel.

    Hamas missiles fell on Palestinian Arabs too, and endangered their lives, lest we forget.
    Because it's all about Bibi when Israel stops committing war crimes and killing unarmed civilians every week you can have a point.

  20. #2340
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    ROFLMAO this coalition will collapse they have nothing in common. Once Bibi is convicted and barred from office it will fall apart the only thing this speaks to is how hated Bibi is, people that hate each other just hate him more even the people he was friends / co workers with. What a detestable piece of shit he must be not surprising considering he uses his dead brother as a prop.
    You're practically pushing ultra-right propaganda now. They also squeal absolutely same thing about how coalition's only purpose in life is not having Bibi leading.

    Reality is it's a coalition of parties who want to push their agendas forward, even if they know they won't get 100%. 60% is fine too for them, as opposed to 0%.

    Why this coalition will last at least some time?

    1. Because the polar opposites Bennet and Abbas will be immediately wiped out if elections are called and they know it, practically going against a good chunk of their voter base. The rest of the members are more flexible.
    2. Opposition does not have the numbers, they are only 53 members strong + ~6 members of Joint Arab List. The 53 members don't want to rely on the 6 and the 6 won't rush to topple coalition and bring Bibi back to power that fast. The 6 will vote for no confidence, but only as long as the vote is sure to fail, otherwise they will do the usual "absent" trick for 2 members every dangerous vote.


    Both Bennet and Abbas need a good year + to get some policy wins to quell the rage of their voter base and to weaken Likud party of Netanyahu. Until then, they will do everything they can to hold this together. All other coalition members are far less polarized, except for maybe Israel Beitenu, but then their leader got exactly what he wanted, I don't expect him to rush to wreck it.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-06-15 at 09:44 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •