1. #2341
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    The whole reason that antisemitism is and can be confused with antizionism is that those who dislike criticism of Israeli politics purposefully confuse them. Even the Former PM of Israel is guilty of that and so are undoubtedly several organizations the more extreme the more likely this rhetoric surfaces and this type of propaganda is spread, not to mention people like Bibi also strongly advocated that all Jews return to Israel as it is supposedly the only safe place for them, ignoring all the efforts being made elsewhere to protect said communities while people like Bibi also advocate for provocation and discrimination against non-Jewish Arabs in Israel, what is today's a root cause for the increase in antisemitism.

    When everything is turned into racist talk by yourself to be used as a sort of shield for criticism from ones own behavior you cannot later come back and declare that everyone who criticizes you is a racist. That is not how this works, it is also very easy for people who can put two and two together to spot this as they struggle to acknowledge any wrong doing by the state of Israel and always find a way to rational and even justify any behavior.


    But please stop the victim act, it is embarrassing and insulting to people with a minor level of understanding of all this. Racism is an ugly thing and has to die out, but this fire is being stoked from more than one side alone.
    Please stop cherry picking my posts than trying to act smug. I straight up say in many of my posts on this topic that criticizing Israel or Zionism IS NOT antisemitism. How many times do I need to restate that. I straight up condemned what Israel is doing and the current government. You really need to read my posts carefully. Nex, since you say you have at least a minor level of understanding as you stated. Yeah propaganda has led to the belief. But if you look underneath it all. You might see what has led to that belief wasn't solely from a propaganda machine but centuries of antisemitism leading up to what happened in 1941 in Germany; which has shaped the mindset of many jews and their descendants.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And, to repeat, the LGBT march you were referencing didn't ban the Star of David. Just its placement in the middle of the flag, in the same place as in the Israeli flag, because of that comparison.

    You're mixing anti-semitic stuff up with opposition to Israel's actions on political grounds.
    You raise a fair point and I will look into it.

  2. #2342
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    18,157
    Quote Originally Posted by eillas View Post
    Please stop cherry picking my posts than trying to act smug. I straight up say in many of my posts on this topic that criticizing Israel or Zionism IS NOT antisemitism. How many times do I need to restate that. I straight up condemned what Israel is doing and the current government. You really need to read my posts carefully. Nex, since you say you have at least a minor level of understanding as you stated. Yeah propaganda has led to the belief. But if you look underneath it all. You might see what has led to that belief wasn't solely from a propaganda machine but centuries of antisemitism leading up to what happened in 1941 in Germany; which has shaped the mindset of many jews and their descendants.
    I am not cherry picking i am responding to that post, not every possible post you made in the past, So that is the message i got from it and that is what i replied to. If it bothers you that much you could have offered some sort of nuance in your post but i did not set out to misconstrue anything you said that being said i ca

    But in your reply here, you go back to the Nazi's and how that is the root of the propaganda as in the fear of a repeat of those events. That might be so but i do not fully believe that or to phrase it better i find that to be an oversimplification of it all considering how in Europe the Jewish population gets extra protection, there are even laws that i find questionable but it makes it so that you could be charged laughing with them where as other demographics do not have that. And how much protection Israel still gets and is still stands there and so forth and i will also add that i do not deny that antisemitism exist.

    So with propaganda i mean the image that the whole world is against the Jewish population and therefor it creates a sort of absurd and even perverse justification that the any thing goes in the name of survival and because Israel is synonymous with the Jewish population, any criticism against the state is directly considered as antisemitism and this goes pretty far, since if my memory does not fail me the government of Israel tends to put up formal complaints or indirectly against even regular citizens of other nations if they do so, especially if they have a stage or a part of the academic world. That was my point, i also added in a point that Israels actions are a large contributing factor to antisemitism feelings globally, you only have to look at social media every time tensions rise up.

    But good on you for being able to separate the state and people, as that makes you part of the solution not the problem.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

  3. #2343
    this was my first post on the topic
    "Here are my 2 cents. I don't like Hamas or the current right-wing government of Israel. I do think Israel has a right to exist and so does Palestine. I do not agree with what Israel has done. They really crossed a line. I think a lot of US right wing who support Israel use it as a way to attack Arabs. I think there is an antisemitic issue on the left; that hides as antizionism as a smokescreen. I don't think criticizing Israel is antisemitic. I repeat I do not support Israels' current government or its current actions. I do think as John Oliver puts it kindly the US needs to tell Israel to knock it off."

  4. #2344
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,204
    Looks like the fash party the far-right nationalists had in Jerusalem had the intended effect they wanted. IDF is back to bombing Gaza right now in retaliation to Palestinian protesters throwing "incendiary balloons" and starting fires in southern Israel. They're just looking for any excuse to blow up Palestinians at this point.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  5. #2345
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Why this coalition will last at least some time?

    1. Because the polar opposites Bennet and Abbas will be immediately wiped out if elections are called and they know it, practically going against a good chunk of their voter base. The rest of the members are more flexible.
    2. Opposition does not have the numbers, they are only 53 members strong + ~6 members of Joint Arab List. The 53 members don't want to rely on the 6 and the 6 won't rush to topple coalition and bring Bibi back to power that fast. The 6 will vote for no confidence, but only as long as the vote is sure to fail, otherwise they will do the usual "absent" trick for 2 members every dangerous vote.


    Both Bennet and Abbas need a good year + to get some policy wins to quell the rage of their voter base and to weaken Likud party of Netanyahu. Until then, they will do everything they can to hold this together. All other coalition members are far less polarized, except for maybe Israel Beitenu, but then their leader got exactly what he wanted, I don't expect him to rush to wreck it.
    How much of Israeli political backlash can we expect to the Hamas missile campaign, seeing as how there hasn't been an election since the latest act of aggression?

    Has there been any polling on the parties from this month? Does the weariness at the fact of five elections prior to a ruling coalition matter in the lifetime of the current coalition?

    And what local papers or websites do you read to be informed on the matter?
    @Gaidax
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  6. #2346
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    Looks like the fash party the far-right nationalists had in Jerusalem had the intended effect they wanted. IDF is back to bombing Gaza right now in retaliation to Palestinian protesters throwing "incendiary balloons" and starting fires in southern Israel. They're just looking for any excuse to blow up Palestinians at this point.
    Yesterday there were 26 locations with fires started from incendiary balloons and also one rigged with explosives blew right above homes of local farming community there, including some farmland.

    You are out of your mind if you think there would be no repercussions to this, as it would only serve to encourage this further. You must think these are just some silly toys, they are not.

    I certainly like to see good solid response to this, otherwise it will again be months of that crap.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    How much of Israeli political backlash can we expect to the Hamas missile campaign, seeing as how there hasn't been an election since the latest act of aggression?

    Has there been any polling on the parties from this month? Does the weariness at the fact of five elections prior to a ruling coalition matter in the lifetime of the current coalition?

    And what local papers or websites do you read to be informed on the matter?
    @Gaidax
    There was polling, but it's mostly meaningless - it showed somewhat a wash results with new opposition losing a few seats and new coalition gaining a few seats. There won't be any new elections anytime soon, because of the reasons I stated and polling this soon is pretty meaningless.

    If there would be elections, as usual it would be decided by a few breakaways forming a new party and upsetting the balance, this can go either way. There is a potential for that in Yamina, party of Bennet, many of which voters took his coalition entry as betrayal of the right and same can happen with Abbas for same reasons, but on Palestinian nationalist front. Basically what I stated. There also might be some internal strife brewing in Likud, which members fell behind Bibi as long as he gave them power, but without that the discontent there may grow. After all Sa'ar and New Hope are also Likud breakaways and they are a small but critical piece of the puzzle that brought Bibi down for now.

    These breakaways would probably be the kingmakers in next elections.

    The news sources are a mix of mainstream media websites and a bit of news channels with various political commentators. They are pretty diverse and I usually take a common ground between the opposition doing opposition thing and coalition doing coalition thing, commentators and such call out their plain to see BS both sides. It can be pretty funny at times.

    Other than that living here, you know really what's what anyway and you have friends/workmates with our usual coffee/dinner talk sharing opinions too.

    ---

    P.S. Seeing someone you blocked as latest thread post, but not seeing anything he trolls there at all due to filter is such a bliss. Should have put up that blocked posts filter much earlier.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-06-16 at 09:26 AM.

  7. #2347
    @Gaidax and the balloons were retaliation for injured Palestinians during your far right march that featured “death to arabs” chants. How many people died in the balloon attacks?

  8. #2348
    Well that didn't last long.

    "The airstrikes targeted facilities used by Hamas militants for meetings to plan attacks, the Israeli military said, blaming the group for any act of violence emanating from Gaza. There were no immediate reports of casualties.

    On Tuesday, hundreds of Israeli ultranationalists, some chanting “Death to Arabs,” paraded in east Jerusalem in a show of force that threatened to spark renewed violence."


    And so it did. Good job!

  9. #2349
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,729
    Well, I guess we're doing this again.



    Quote Originally Posted by Cringefest View Post
    Well that didn't last long.
    No, it didn't.

  10. #2350
    Two days in? Three days?

  11. #2351
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Yesterday there were 26 locations with fires started from incendiary balloons and also one rigged with explosives blew right above homes of local farming community there, including some farmland.

    You are out of your mind if you think there would be no repercussions to this, as it would only serve to encourage this further. You must think these are just some silly toys, they are not.

    I certainly like to see good solid response to this, otherwise it will again be months of that crap.
    I think it's more than obvious that the far-right in Israel are trying to stir up violence with their actions. Considering the recent change in government, I'd say the timing is pretty suspect. This how the far-right in general operates everywhere, not only in Israel. Knowing they can elicit a response, they agitate with full support of the police and then capitalize with lightning speed with heavy handed violence when they get the response they were looking for. How many flag marches does one need within the span of 40 days, exactly? It's getting pretty hard to argue that these radicalized reactionaries aren't marching around in East Jerusalem looking for a fight. Just take a look at the video I linked. That rally was more than just a peaceful patriotic march. There are countless videos of Israeli military police assaulting protesters and ripping Palestinian flags out of peoples hands at these events. I've seen this sort of belligerence before in places like Charlottesville and Portland. Reactionaries are the same pretty much everywhere, despite the different people they target with hate.

    So this is pretty much an identical situation as the one a few weeks ago. The Israeli far-right stirs up trouble in East Jerusalem and evokes a response from Hamas and then the IDF start dropping bombs. Must be a day that ends in y.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  12. #2352
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    I think it's more than obvious that the far-right in Israel are trying to stir up violence with their actions. Considering the recent change in government, I'd say the timing is pretty suspect. This how the far-right in general operates everywhere, not only in Israel. Knowing they can elicit a response, they agitate with full support of the police and then capitalize with lightning speed with heavy handed violence when they get the response they were looking for. How many flag marches does one need within the span of 40 days, exactly? It's getting pretty hard to argue that these radicalized reactionaries aren't marching around in East Jerusalem looking for a fight. Just take a look at the video I linked. That rally was more than just a peaceful patriotic march. There are countless videos of Israeli military police assaulting protesters and ripping Palestinian flags out of peoples hands at these events. I've seen this sort of belligerence before in places like Charlottesville and Portland. Reactionaries are the same pretty much everywhere, despite the different people they target with hate.

    So this is pretty much an identical situation as the one a few weeks ago. The Israeli far-right stirs up trouble in East Jerusalem and evokes a response from Hamas and then the IDF start dropping bombs. Must be a day that ends in y.
    It's as if they found a pattern that works!

  13. #2353
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I certainly like to see good solid response to this, otherwise it will again be months of that crap.
    Oh yea because good solid responses have worked so well so far/s

  14. #2354
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Well, I guess we're doing this again.





    No, it didn't.
    First: give a far right march police protection
    Second: have said police attack and injure protesters
    Third: wait for the inevitable retaliation
    Fourth: resume the ethnic cleansing and blame it on Hamas for starting shit

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Oh yea because good solid responses have worked so well so far/s
    He’s asking for Hamas to attack Israel obviously. It’s the only logical conclusion considering that Israel started this shit. Once again.

  15. #2355
    Imagine supporting a country that systematically protects extreme far right marches at the level we've seen with this latest one.
    "Another nakba is coming", people were chanting.
    700k Palestinians left or were removed from their homes during that first one.
    Imagine for a second, anything like that happened in a normal, western country.

  16. #2356
    Jerusalem has a flag day march. Which of course prompts Hamas launch of incendiary balloons to start 20 fires. So Israel counterattacks some military compounds.

    It's probably a test of the new coalition government to see if Israel still reacts to actual arson attacks.

    And some portion of international viewers will still condemn Israel and effectively say they are powerless to counterstrike while under missile and incendiary fire. Because that's been the same reaction ever since Hamas took power and increased the hostilities.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  17. #2357
    must be boring and miserable to keep getting upset at people having issues with a US backed military's indiscriminately killing a civilian population. just say you're okay with war crimes and move on.

  18. #2358
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Jerusalem has a flag day march. Which of course prompts Hamas launch of incendiary balloons to start 20 fires. So Israel counterattacks some military compounds.

    It's probably a test of the new coalition government to see if Israel still reacts to actual arson attacks.

    And some portion of international viewers will still condemn Israel and effectively say they are powerless to counterstrike while under missile and incendiary fire. Because that's been the same reaction ever since Hamas took power and increased the hostilities.
    A flag day march.
    Full on into surreal territory here.
    Some people really just want to watch the world burn. Hint, it's not the once launching "incendiary balloons".

  19. #2359
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    Looks like the fash party the far-right nationalists had in Jerusalem had the intended effect they wanted. IDF is back to bombing Gaza right now in retaliation to Palestinian protesters throwing "incendiary balloons" and starting fires in southern Israel. They're just looking for any excuse to blow up Palestinians at this point.
    Ah yes, "protesters". Who does not know about protesters sending incendiary balloons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cringefest View Post
    Imagine supporting a country that systematically protects extreme far right marches at the level we've seen with this latest one.
    "Another nakba is coming", people were chanting.
    700k Palestinians left or were removed from their homes during that first one.
    Imagine for a second, anything like that happened in a normal, western country.
    Supports? Wanna quote from Israel's Foreign Minister? I am gonna give it anyway:

    Centrist Yair Lapid - Israel's foreign minister and main partner in the governing coalition - condemned the march.

    On Twitter, he said: "It's inconceivable how you can hold an Israeli flag and shout 'Death to Arabs' at the same time... These people are a disgrace to the nation of Israel."
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  20. #2360
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    Jerusalem has a flag day march. Which of course prompts Hamas launch of incendiary balloons to start 20 fires. So Israel counterattacks some military compounds.

    It's probably a test of the new coalition government to see if Israel still reacts to actual arson attacks.

    And some portion of international viewers will still condemn Israel and effectively say they are powerless to counterstrike while under missile and incendiary fire. Because that's been the same reaction ever since Hamas took power and increased the hostilities.
    Pretty much, I'm sure there is a wall of filtered out comments now crying crocodile tears, but reality is simple if Hamas launches their incendiary and explosive crap over the border - Israel responds. Expecting there to be no response over this is just silly and nothing to do with Israel, because every bloody single government in the world would do the same or just get tossed out in the elections.

    It's fine by me, really. I have more pressing concerns like housing crisis.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •