Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Sanguine/Grievous nightmare

Ok so I'm not saying I'm the greatest healer in the world but was this week designed to give healers a nervous breakdown?

From what I can see, even dps with 15+ exp sometimes dont understand that the pools take 15/30/45/60% of their health per second and seem to expect me to heal right through it. Put grievous on top of that, and as a holy priest I'm really struggling. Just did a TOP +5 and it was worse than a +11 SD last week.

Any tips? It doesn't help that for whatever reason Divine Hymn/POM/Sanctify don't act like their shaman/druid equivalents in removing stacks but is there some trick to this?

Saw a video there by Growl and he is basically saying you have to just focus on one person at a time and if dps aren't prepared to use their defensives that's their tough luck? And to ignore trying to do any damage this week because at any moment a bunch of trash die and someone is carelessly standing in a pool of crap that's going to kill them in 2 seconds you dont want to get caught halfway through a holy fire cast or whatever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some weeks are harder than others. Grievous is always annoying for me as my only option as a disc is to spam Shadow Heal to remove stacks. Nothing else works. It's a complete mana burn affix. A stack or 2 of grievous insta-pops shields and it's not worth the shield.

Single target direct heals remove stacks. I would think HPriest is quite good at that.
    Advice? Play with knockback talent for sang(if priests still have it) and frankly... play with better people. It's not a real solution, I know, but this week a +18 with good people will be way easier than a +14 with potatoes.

Also look for paladin tanks - they can and should help with WoGs is there is more than one person on high grevious. We shouldn't be running slow talent this week anyway.

Shame them with addons like "ElitismHelper" which can post in chat whenever someone takes avoidable damage. And "PhoenixStyle" can post in chat when someone dies and to what.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    i'm not really seeing what the problem is with this week...

that's just normal business, most people are very bad at the game... if you don't want to deal with that, leave and find a better group...

are you running flash concentration and trail of light?
    Yeah, look i expect lots of "git gud mate" type answers but it just seems to me that this week is particularly penal for mistakes. I am running FC/TOL, but as you know TOL doesn't remove stacks. It's the two affixes combined just seem so far to have made it way worse than last week.

Its like a DPS who jumps from heroics into mythics could actually get reasonably high last week and is just completely unaware this week of the trouble their positioning causes. And the stacking pools when a few mobs die together.........ugh.

7+ Year Old Account
    Been hit and miss for me this week. I've had a few ++14/15s along with a few depleted 14/15s. How well people handle sanguine being the main difference. In groups with aware members I can still dps about as regularly as I ever do. Other groups I'll be popping every healing CD I have and will still lose people. *shrug* Its a bit of an unforgiving week for the awareness slackers out there (whether they be dps/healers/tanks).

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    If you’re doing a +5 you’re probably playing with less experienced players who make more mistakes than last week’s plus 11.

It is a tougher week on healers but to me it’s in a kind of fun way where you have to show you can pump. To me that’s far less frustrating than tanking where you have to constantly worry about sanguine placement.

Personally, I play a druid and cam tank or heal, this week I actively chose healing because I find it a lot more fun to just pump big numbers (9k on a prideful, 5k overall) than it is to be constantly battling sanguine as a tank.

And on how to heal it, depends what you have on hand. I’ll spam rejuvs on multiple targets as triage before attempting to heal one to full.

And apply the usual priority when choosing targets: yourself > tank > rdps >>>>>> melee.
    If you think letting the melee die will net you a more sucessful run, you are sorely mistaken.
    The rule is to heal unavoidable damage first and avoidable damage second. The melee are people too and are in the most danger from the sanguine. The week isn't difficult only for healers and how the mobs are tanked plays a big part as well.
    If everyone does their job, the key is a sucess. If you prio ranged that are having a good time this week and let the melee die, you will fail the timer and you are partially to blame. Unless they are just standing on it. Then they are dumb. But, being clipped by the sanguine is gonna happen occasionally. This goes for the tank too.

It's a tough week for healers. Melee healers will feel the pain too.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-05-15 at 04:27 AM.

If you're not already then get the flash concentration legendary. It's amazing for mythic+. Use a weak aura to track your stacks of flash heal. And pump big single target heals into people like a boss!

It's an amazing legendary for holy priests. Really hope they bake it into the spec somehow when the expansion is over cos I'll really miss the play style.

It's a bit like the old holy pala. Big single target heals. I love it!

Also chose the talent that brings guardian spirit down to a 1 minute cd. It makes it the best healing cd in the game, bar none!

For conduits, use the resonant words one. That gives you a 50%+ boost (depending on ilevel) to your next flash heal or heal after you use a holy word. Use it wisely.

Hope this helps a bit. :-)
    Last edited by whywhatwhowhenhow; 2021-05-15 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Art the Clown View Post
    If you're not already then get the flash concentration legendary. It's amazing for mythic+. Use a weak aura to track your stacks of flash heal. And pump big single target heals into people like a boss!

It's an amazing legendary for holy priests. Really hope they bake it into the spec somehow when the expansion is over cos I'll really miss the play style.

It's a bit like the old holy pala. Big single target heals. I love it!

Also chose the talent that brings guardian spirit down to a 1 minute cd. It makes it the best healing cd in the game, bar none!

For conduits, use the resonant words one. That gives you a 50%+ boost (depending on ilevel) to your next flash heal or heal after you use a holy word. Use it wisely.

Hope this helps a bit. :-)
    Yeah I got all that good stuff, and am familiar with resonant weaving etc

Actually since I wrote the OP, and the week has progressed, I've found people have adapted and I think I might have been unlucky on the first day to get a few bad groups that dived in without really thinking about the affixes.

Finding now as I try to push for my +10 achieve, that in some ways if the group is good at handling sanguine, its easier than last week because the bosses feel easy. As healer though, I'm really focussing on just healing and being careful to remove grievous stacks asap as when multiple party members have them at the same time its tough. if I can do a bit of dps too great, but I'm generally not chain smiting like last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickb View Post
    Ok so I'm not saying I'm the greatest healer in the world but was this week designed to give healers a nervous breakdown?

From what I can see, even dps with 15+ exp sometimes dont understand that the pools take 15/30/45/60% of their health per second and seem to expect me to heal right through it. Put grievous on top of that, and as a holy priest I'm really struggling. Just did a TOP +5 and it was worse than a +11 SD last week.

Any tips? It doesn't help that for whatever reason Divine Hymn/POM/Sanctify don't act like their shaman/druid equivalents in removing stacks but is there some trick to this?

Saw a video there by Growl and he is basically saying you have to just focus on one person at a time and if dps aren't prepared to use their defensives that's their tough luck? And to ignore trying to do any damage this week because at any moment a bunch of trash die and someone is carelessly standing in a pool of crap that's going to kill them in 2 seconds you dont want to get caught halfway through a holy fire cast or whatever.
    i would give my advice - play plaguefalls only this week with groups that know how to skip up to first boss and know how to fuly utilize plagueborers / carnisters

i find that dungeon easiest to do on grievous. dont know why but it just is like that :P

It's not especially difficult to heal during grievous week if you know the dungeon well and know when people will take damage. I adapt my playstyle and tend to overheal/overshield a bit to make sure people won't accumulate stacks and drop too low. Because grievous can snowball quite fast.
    Last edited by Barzotti; 2021-05-15 at 09:46 AM.

Avoid groups with many melees. Actually that's a good rule for any m+ if you're a healer.

10+ Year Old Account
    This week is trash for Holy Paladins (me) and Disc Priests for sure, but not by any means impossible. Speaking from a Holy Paladin stand point I'm looking forward to 9.1 making Flash of Light juicier and make Grievous easier in the future.

Ultimately it comes down to your tank and (melee) DPS. If any tank is worth their salt they will be keeping an eye on health of trash mobs during big pulls and kiting before one dies (like 2% - 3% health) since most tanks just wait for something to die --> Sanguine drops --> mobs and tank (and melee DPS) stand in Sanguine for a couple of seconds --> "OH SHIT SANGUINE" --> they move.

From a tank perspective: Grievous, necrotic, and storming are skip weeks. I am kind of surprised grievous isn't a skip week for healers as well, there's nothing remotely entertaining about that nonsense.

because grievous isn't an issue unless people are stupid...
    Well, most pugs ARE stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    because grievous isn't an issue unless people are stupid...
    That depends entirely on the key level you're doing. 19/20s and above, prides are super painful. On a normal week I barely have to use CDs to keep people alive, but on Grievous I need to blow a lot of CDs
    In 15/16s? Can ignore pride, it's not dangerous, even with grievous

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    From a tank perspective: Grievous, necrotic, and storming are skip weeks. I am kind of surprised grievous isn't a skip week for healers as well, there's nothing remotely entertaining about that nonsense.
    It's one of the few weeks that gives us some work and it requires a bit of preplanning, instead of the autopilot weeks. And the two anti heal affixes (grievous and bursting) are way more manageable now with the nerfs.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    as far as grievous goes you should half depend on your ability and half on your dps no to take avoidable damage. if you're in a group with a bunch of turds hopefully you can convince them to eat between pulls. sangune isn't a healer affix its 100% on the tank so don't blame yourself for the tank failures or the dps.

being I holy priest is pretty easy this week just directly heal your tank and make sure your dps arent idiots.

i hate playing any other of my healers than my priest during bursting weeks... i'm only doing 14s on my other healers but fuck... bursting is so bad with pugs around that level and you can't mass dispel it... shadow priests in the group often doesn't mass dispel either...

+14 plaguefall... first boss... tank pulls all the slimes in front of the boss and the dps just goes full retard and kills several of them while renewing the stacks, stacks are at 5... think to myself they're gonna let it fall off... nope... stack goes up to 6... i dispelled myself... then they killed the rest of them at the same time... instant wipe... worst part? we had a shadow priest in the party... and died to bursting...
    Bursting is less a concern than in BfA, given the small pulls. The pull you're talking about is literally the worst possible scenario with bursting. Except some fringe cases, it's quite rare to see more than 4-5 stacks of bursting. I do a weekly +14 on four different healers, and I found out that grievous and bursting are way more manageable and easier to play with in SL no matter the healer I'm playing. In comparison, I still have PTSD from the droplets in Shrine in BfA, the ghosts in King's Rest and the small dinos in Atal.
    Last edited by Barzotti; 2021-05-16 at 12:03 PM.

lol... i hated it on my druid when tanking in bfa when it was bursting... if i didn't remove my td pieces before going into dungeons and dps wanted me to do big pulls, there was a big chance we would wipe due to td procs...
    Bursting was straight up retarded in BfA. You remember the blood torrent or mass dispel on the ghosts at the start of KR that got you 7-8 stacks of Bursting instantly?