Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    You get to play each char for free in either of the versions.

Profits aside, which I doubt will be high from this feature, there needs to be a limitation on what happens to the resources that people gathered. A very large number will move on, without the price tag they will be able to leave their resources behind.
    I was reading up on it and that is not how it works. If you do not buy the clone you either stay in Vanilla or move on to BC taking your inventory with you. They could I suppose move it to another alt before hand but then they arent taking it with them. But this will result in the same number of resources that are already on Classic and if they take it with them then they leave the market. The number of resources on Vanilla Classic will go down not up as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    I was reading up on it and that is not how it works. If you do not buy the clone you either stay in Vanilla or move on to BC taking your inventory with you. They could I suppose move it to another alt before hand but then they arent taking it with them. But this will result in the same number of resources that are already on Classic and if they take it with them then they leave the market. The number of resources on Vanilla Classic will go down not up as a result.
    That's what I said. If the clone was free everyone could just spread the resrouces on the version they don't play.
    For example I have 6k gold and I'm going to tbc. If the classic clone was free nothing would have stopped me tov activate the clone on classic and give those 6k to a friend that stays behind.

Everyone is going to have a different answer to this.

Personally I am not paying for the clone because I don't want to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Isn't this backwards? I thought your character moves to BC automatically and cloning it makes a copy that stays on a new Vanilla Classic server.
    You pick your era for each character, permanently. Cloning makes a copy of any Vanilla character to use in BC, never the other way around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    If $35 is an acceptable price to play a character you already leveled in a different era... Is there any price that wouldn't be?

Would people still defend this shitty moneygrab if it was $100?

Would everyone admit paid mounts are dumb if they put out a shiny glittering one for $250? Or like, if they came in randomized loot boxes?

Where is the line? Why can't we just say "yeah, the fact that theyre charging money for something like this is kinda dickish"? Why defend it just because it's optional? The entire game is optional, does that mean jacking the subscription price would be just fine because hurr durr dont buy it if you dont like it?
    Honestly. The character cloning service is as bullshit as opening another wave of servers for TBC Classic instead of upgrading Classic to TBC Classic.

My view, of course. Just like I foresaw this to happen once Blizzard upper management saw the amount they could milk from waves of nostalgic players.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

oh my god are people still kicking up a fuss about this.

Back in the day everyone moved on to TBC for FREE. On May 18th everyone has the opportunity to move onto TBC for FREE again.

The only difference here is that Blizzard a) trying to keep people happy and b) recognizing that there were separate private servers for Vanilla, TBC and Wrath in the real world decided to give players the option they didn't originally have - to stay in Classic - FREE - when TBC released. That FREE offer was despite the fact they would be incurring additional costs maintaining Classic only servers.

They then even went further and offered players the opportunity to "clone" a character and stay in Classic forever as well as progress on separate TBC servers. They had to charge for this because if it was FREE everyone would have "cloned" their characters and they would have essentially doubled their maintenance costs by maintaining all original Classic servers and all new TBC servers.

Additionally, they want to ensure that the few remaining Classic only servers have active populations which is a) why they will be merging Classic only servers and B) why they are charging for "cloning" - they only want players on the Classic servers that are active - the fee for "cloning" is meant to deter people from choosing blindly choosing to clone their character which means the servers can't be merged and people who want to play Classic only will be on dead servers.

I'm no fan boy of Blizzard but their taking a lot of heat for trying to give players something they never had the option to do before for FREE and they are trying to ensure those players that stay on Classic only servers have active populations (as well, admittedly, recoup some of the cost of maintaining Classic only servers).

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn’t care what happened with the price simply because I have no intention of using it. I plan on moving all my characters to TBC classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    No MTX are acceptable in a full-box-price, subscription-based game. None. Anyone saying otherwise are basically corporate shills.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    If $35 is an acceptable price to play a character you already leveled in a different era... Is there any price that wouldn't be?

Would people still defend this shitty moneygrab if it was $100?

Would everyone admit paid mounts are dumb if they put out a shiny glittering one for $250? Or like, if they came in randomized loot boxes?

Where is the line? Why can't we just say "yeah, the fact that theyre charging money for something like this is kinda dickish"? Why defend it just because it's optional? The entire game is optional, does that mean jacking the subscription price would be just fine because hurr durr dont buy it if you dont like it?
    It is 15 dollars and I am sorry but if you are to broke to spend 15 dollars on what is basically a free game.

If you are too broke to play said game anyway. Get off your ass and get job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Honestly. The character cloning service is as bullshit as opening another wave of servers for TBC Classic instead of upgrading Classic to TBC Classic.

My view, of course. Just like I foresaw this to happen once Blizzard upper management saw the amount they could milk from waves of nostalgic players.
    Why? I fucking hate TBC. Why would I want to play that third rate trash pile. If they forced people to leave classic again and go permanetly to TBC I know a few thousand people who would unsub.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Why? I fucking hate TBC. Why would I want to play that third rate trash pile. If they forced people to leave classic again and go permanetly to TBC I know a few thousand people who would unsub.
    And this is why they know they can charge money for character cloning.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    It is 15 dollars and I am sorry but if you are to broke to spend 15 dollars on what is basically a free game.

If you are too broke to play said game anyway. Get off your ass and get job.
    It was $35 when I posted this.

I'm already paying $15 a month. I paid $40 for World of Warcraft and $40 for Burning Crusade. Allowing me to play my characters on both realms costs them nothing. I can afford $15. Is it reasonable to charge $150 for 10 of my characters, when they could just flip a switch and let me play them? I'd say not. That's the point of this post. I could afford $150 honestly, but I feel cheated if all I get out of that is the ability to play as characters I already leveled, instead of something cool like a deluxe collectors edition with art book and manual and trading card deck and other merch.

Look at the original fold-out Burning Crusade box with full manual, then remind yourself that that was $40 and now theyre charging 70 for ..... A digital mount. That's a pretty significant decline in my eyes.