Page 1 of 39
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Red face "Sorry we are closed nobody wants to work here anymore due to government handouts"

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22WE%2...ertical=trends

Been seeing stuff like this for a couple of weeks now and honestly, I love it so much. All throughout the pandemic people told minimum wage workers to find better opportunities. Whether they got a better paying job or live off of unemployment, it's great seeing businesses suffer because they wont pay. If your employees would rather live off a measly unemployment check than work, that's 100% on you. My current job loves to complain they cant find anyone to work but they pay $8/hour, nobody can survive off that!! The stores in our area pay more than that for more benefits and more freedom.

Rather narrow minded view... small businesses forced to close, meanwhile monolithic companies like Amazon grow furthermore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry we are closed, the LA City Council wanted us to pay our essential workers more and we would rather shutter than do it.

-Kroger
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Rather narrow minded view... small businesses forced to close, meanwhile monolithic companies like Amazon grow furthermore.
    Small businesses aren't inherently better you know?

10+ Year Old Account
    I find that people often oversimplify this sort of discussion. There are multiple elements in play here rather than just poor pay for unwanted work.

Economic reality is that they could not pay more, but i also find the system of things like "tipping" not as a bonus but as necessity for decent pay to be absurd.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I find that people often oversimplify this sort of discussion. There are multiple elements in play here rather than just poor pay for unwanted work.

Economic reality is that they could not pay more, but i also find the system of things like "tipping" not as a bonus but as necessity for decent pay to be absurd.
    if someone told me i was getting paid $2 dollars an hour plus tips id kick their head in, and it would be morally right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well to stop amazon laws need to be made or enacted upon to break up monopolies.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

no, people have woken up to the fact they rather not work for slave wages. I mean, of course the company is going to say this crap... doesn't mean they're right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    if someone told me i was getting paid $2 dollars an hour plus tips id kick their head in, and it would be morally right.
    2 dollars? That's not something i would expect in a rich and modern nation in this day, i mean 10 even feels low.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

People are expected to work to much of their lives away in the first place especially in NA, I am glad we are looking at a form of UBI in Canada then I will actually be able to not worry about income and do something I actually want to do for a living and make a bunch of money from it, then retire in a self sufficient home and no longer need UBI.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody has a right to own a successful business, it's something that is worked for.

If you don't pay your employees enough to entice anyone to work for you, you need to raise your wages. If you can't afford to raise your wages, you need to raise your prices. If nobody will buy your product at the new prices, then there isn't enough demand for your product to justify your business' existence.

If the problem is that large monopolies have insurmountable advantages that make any form of competition with them impossible, that's another problem entirely, but don't blame your current or potential employees for that. The 'government handouts' that are hurting you aren't the ones that allow families to eat, they're the corporate welfare that goes out to the biggest and richest companies.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post

Been seeing stuff like this for a couple of weeks now and honestly, I love it so much. All throughout the pandemic people told minimum wage workers to find better opportunities. Whether they got a better paying job or live off of unemployment, it's great seeing businesses suffer because they wont pay. If your employees would rather live off a measly unemployment check than work, that's 100% on you. My current job loves to complain they cant find anyone to work but they pay $8/hour, nobody can survive off that!! The stores in our area pay more than that for more benefits and more freedom.
    No tears for the companies that cannot pay good wages.

However, it may in part be due to to different stimulus in the US compared to Europe.

It seems that in Europe there more support to keep companies healthy including the ability to keep employees possibly with paid partial leave, whereas the US had more direct stimulus checks to persons (yes, there were loans to small businesses, but they seem to have been oversubscribed and the forgiving of the loans seemed a bit messy).

We are seeing employees post notes on the front of closed businesses due to poor worker treatment and pay more often than small businesses doing the same. There are far more social media posts and topics of discussion on the worker's side, as it should be, than the employers of either small or corporate-owned businesses.

Any employer unable to pay its workers a living wage is unworthy of respect. They should be closed.

For example, the tone is fairly pro-worker overall.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-05-13 at 06:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of us support something like a UBI, so if people can't get a job, they can still live in a modicum of comfort. Working should be optional, not an obligation you're forced into under duress. Which it is, short of something like a UBI.

If a small business can't survive without exploiting its staff, it shouldn't exist as a business, because it's business model is garbage. The same goes for large businesses. Smaller businesses have to provide something to give people a reason to shop there over the big name stores, and "they're local" is not really a reason. Give me better, more personal service. Give me access to unique items I can't find on Amazon or at Wal-Mart. if you're running a general store and it's just got poorer variety, higher prices, and disinterested service, I'll take my business to the big-box store where at least I get better selection and lower prices.

Getting super tired of the "we have to exploit our staff and provide a shitty product, but you should give us your business anyway!" attitudes in some small businesses. Give me a store with staff who love working there because you pay them really well, and you'll get my business (once the pandemic's over). You were already getting my business (before the pandemic).

Worst of all are the bootlickers arguing against having their wages raised for fear of being sacked. That's some real psychological trauma/Stockholm shit.

Bruh. A hamburger isn't going to cost $50 at Wendy's because you are making $3 more per hour. Don't be a spineless worm.

If they're so "essential" to the functioning of our society, maybe, and call me crazy...

we should pay them enough to live? Those crazy liberals have been calling it something, a "living wage."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Huge businesses can and should pay more. This is the result of people realizing they aren't valued. They are labeled essential to the functioning of our country, yet aren't even paid enough to survive themselves.

To op: Good. Let them fail. Other companies are also making the move to increase their wages. The others can follow suit or go away. The unemployment just highlighted the fact that people felt safer and more secure on unemployment than at work.

- - - Updated - - -

2 dollars? That's not something i would expect in a rich and modern nation in this day, i mean 10 even feels low.
    It is low, but most who rely on tips wont fight for higher wages because they know they probably make more in tips, that they can lie and not report for taxes, then they would at any wage the company may offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Huge businesses can and should pay more. This is the result of people realizing they aren't valued. They are labeled essential to the functioning of our country, yet aren't even paid enough to survive themselves.

To op: Good. Let them fail. Other companies are also making the move to increase their wages. The others can follow suit or go away. The unemployment just highlighted the fact that people felt safer and more secure on unemployment than at work.
    Remember when there was that big corporate tax cut that was supposed to lead to more reinvestment, creating new jobs and increasing wages? And then most of the corporations just spend the majority of it on stock buybacks to boost their share price?

Those were good times. Very good times. I hope the safety nets continue to remain strong enough for people to have the ability to choose whether they want to be a wage slave or not. It's coming out of my taxes and I'm fine with that, I've been there before and while I'm hardly raking in the dough now I can live comfortably and eat a higher tax rate (I'm super frugal). I'm happy to do that, too. Fuck companies literally built off of exploiting a vulnerable work force because there's no alternative for them.

- - - Updated - - -

It is low, but most who rely on tips wont fight for higher wages because they know they probably make more in tips, that they can lie and not report for taxes, then they would at any wage the company may offer.
    The restaurant industry is weird, and often times has stupidly thin margins that lead to garbage pay for most of the back-staff and even some of the folks in the front, relying on tips to make up the difference. Which is shitty, because a lot of places use those tips to subsidize wages and require that they're reported as income (i.e. tips pooled at the end of the night to be divvied up, which isn't uncommon, but rather than just letting staff walk out with it it gets counted towards their wages before they walk out with it). My brother used to work at a higher end restaurant and would clear $2-400 a night in tips depending on how busy it was and what folks ordered, but come paytime his checks would often be like, $20-50 because almost all of his minimum wage was used to cover the taxes owed off his tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    No tears for the companies that cannot pay good wages.
    It depends on the company and the region of course, but the current situation is because the government is paying people double minimum wage for unemployment. So companies that might be paying $10 or $12 or whatever, cannot find employees when the gov is paying $15. (State + Federal, state varies, fed is +$300.) Florida is $8.30ish min for non-tipped, south florida averages $11-13 for entry level positions and part time work.

However, it may in part be due to to different stimulus in the US compared to Europe.

It seems that in Europe there more support to keep companies healthy including the ability to keep employees possibly with paid partial leave, whereas the US had more direct stimulus checks to persons (yes, there were loans to small businesses, but they seem to have been oversubscribed and the forgiving of the loans seemed a bit messy).
    The loans were so you could keep paying your employees, which is separate from the unemployment payments for not working for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Remember when there was that big corporate tax cut that was supposed to lead to more reinvestment, creating new jobs and increasing wages?
    Yeah, it was great, I got a 16% raise.

The restaurant industry is weird, and often times has stupidly thin margins that lead to garbage pay for most of the back-staff and even some of the folks in the front, relying on tips to make up the difference. Which is shitty, because a lot of places use those tips to subsidize wages and require that they're reported as income (i.e. tips pooled at the end of the night to be divvied up, which isn't uncommon, but rather than just letting staff walk out with it it gets counted towards their wages before they walk out with it). My brother used to work at a higher end restaurant and would clear $2-400 a night in tips depending on how busy it was and what folks ordered, but come paytime his checks would often be like, $20-50 because almost all of his minimum wage was used to cover the taxes owed off his tips.
    I've known a few wait-staff, and the split varies a lot between businesses, yeah. A coworker that worked at RuthChris, all tips go through the register and are reported, and the back-end staff get like 10% of yours or something like that. Pooling tips was mostly a diner thing, and was almost always unpopular with folks. If they did away with tips, raised the food prices and paid the employees hourly, it'd probably result in lower wages for the employees, but would also probably smooth out the money a bit so it didn't vary a lot. Of course, they'd probably also cut back on staff. It's just an odd industry that I've never wanted to be a part of.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    The real problem is the inconsistency of your wages as a server. You can have a great day or week, but then followed by a bad day or week. If you want to make financial plans, it is very difficult since you have no guarantee to make any particular amount of money.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.